OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad that this case hasn't been "solved" yet. I use quotation marks on solved because I think they know who the murderer(s) are and I believe they have enough evidence for arrests. But, I also believe there are circumstances that are holding them back.

I went on a short day trip today and while in the car found myself thinking about this case. Has there been any discussion here about the possibility of the murderers being a married couple? It dawned on me about the "marital privilege" where one spouse can't be forced to testify against the other. And it would be so easy for each other to have an alibi in each other.

Just random thoughts.

Bonjour Canaille, mes meilleurs voeux pour l'année 2017.

I don't know about a married couple. It's an interesting idea. In my opinion, there is a strong possibility that a woman is involved in some way.
I did say in previous posts that this crime perpetrated by someone close for personal reasons had an immature dimension and was committed with a lot of energy. This is why I think it was committed by someone young, probably under 25. However, there is a "responsibility" in the way it is concealed. So it can't be an all male teen gig. It's too smart. There has to be a female. JMO.
Think about how male and female behave under 25.

I think the murders were related somehow to the land/property CR1 owned. Land is a big deal and at the heart of many feuds. This kind of brutality doesn't strike me as related to love/relationships. Also have a tough time believing any family member could do this. Could be drugs but I'm leaning towards the land idea.

Link from today's Chillicothe Gazette

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/crime/2017/01/01/top-10 mm-stories-of-the-year-rhoden-family-murders-pike-county-charlie-reader/95768612/

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Residents I talked to last week in Piketon weren't exactly jumping at the chance to speak about the Rhoden case. If they did, they didn't want to give a name for the record.
They're not afraid for themselves or those they care about, but they do appear a little worn down by the attention.

I wouldn't want to give my name either. JS

I think the murders were related somehow to the land/property CR1 owned. Land is a big deal and at the heart of many feuds. This kind of brutality doesn't strike me as related to love/relationships. Also have a tough time believing any family member could do this. Could be drugs but I'm leaning towards the land idea.

Welcome! I'm not from the area, but I do want this case solved. My first thought was it had something to do with the land too. Then child custody was also high on my list. Now, I just don't know other than I believe it was someone who was close to the family. Just an opinion.

Well, not sure what happened with my last post. May have to crawl into the hole next to Flatbush....

"Many believe the investigatory workforce and resources being used in the case will bring resolution.

They also have confidence in Reader, who was re-elected with 76 percent of the vote last year.

The sheriff appreciates the support.

On Wednesday, he said the public support carries him at times. He said: "The community every day was saying, ‘You do your thing, sheriff. We have your back.’"

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...-murders-pike-county-charlie-reader/95768612/

I am wondering if the evidence of cockfighting is why the DHS was on the scene. According to these articles it is organized crime and illegal in all 50 states. Also the fact that there are so many people coming from other states would up the risk of violence to operators of these fights. A lot of cash money changing hands could tempt someone to kill.

Click here: Why the Rhoden family had so many cars
Authorities have said they found marijuana grow sites at three of the four homicide locations, as well as evidence of *advertiser censored* fighting. Manley maintains he does not know anything about any marijuana growing, saying Monday he did not often visit Rhoden's properties.

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/09/justice/new-york-cockfighting-bust/index.html[/video]
Cockfighting is a crime in all 50 states.

A cockfight in Queens, a pet shop in Brooklyn, and a farm in upstate Plattekill were raided Saturday night into Sunday by the task force, with the help of New York State Police, the Homeland Security Department and the Ulster County sheriff's office, according to a news release from Schneiderman's office.

Click here: Cockfighting suspects may be organized ring - The Blade
John Goodwin, director of animal cruelty policy for the Humane Society of the United States, said the size of the raid and the fact that so many individuals had come from out of state indicates an organized operation.

Click here: How Has Ohio Become a Cockfighting Capital? · A Humane Nation
Ending cruel practices like cockfighting is not just about putting a stop to animal abuse; there is plenty of evidence that shows these kinds of operations often serve as fronts for hardened and even organized criminals. A U.S. Department of Agriculture agent who brought down a large cockfighting operation in Kentucky this last year stated in an affidavit that Mexican organized crime figures had frequented the cockfights there, and had even brought in a hit man to kill a cockfighter who had laundered money. Federal investigations continue to reveal cockfights can be intricate illegal gambling enterprises, often associated with the distribution of large quantities of cocaine, heroin, and meth.

@bootsctr Thanks for the welcome! After lurking a while thought I would participate finally. :) I live 90 minutes nw from the scene. Def agree it was someone who knew the family. My hypothesis is just speculation of course, but when I think about all the theories out there it just makes the most sense to me. Child custody certainly plausible.

I am wondering if the evidence of cockfighting is why the DHS was on the scene. According to these articles it is organized crime and illegal in all 50 states. Also the fact that there are so many people coming from other states would up the risk of violence to operators of these fights. A lot of cash money changing hands could tempt someone to kill.

Click here: Why the Rhoden family had so many cars
Authorities have said they found marijuana grow sites at three of the four homicide locations, as well as evidence of *advertiser censored* fighting. Manley maintains he does not know anything about any marijuana growing, saying Monday he did not often visit Rhoden's properties.

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/09/justice/new-york-cockfighting-bust/index.html[/video]
Cockfighting is a crime in all 50 states.

A cockfight in Queens, a pet shop in Brooklyn, and a farm in upstate Plattekill were raided Saturday night into Sunday by the task force, with the help of New York State Police, the Homeland Security Department and the Ulster County sheriff's office, according to a news release from Schneiderman's office.

Click here: Cockfighting suspects may be organized ring - The Blade
John Goodwin, director of animal cruelty policy for the Humane Society of the United States, said the size of the raid and the fact that so many individuals had come from out of state indicates an organized operation.

Click here: How Has Ohio Become a Cockfighting Capital? · A Humane Nation
Ending cruel practices like cockfighting is not just about putting a stop to animal abuse; there is plenty of evidence that shows these kinds of operations often serve as fronts for hardened and even organized criminals. A U.S. Department of Agriculture agent who brought down a large cockfighting operation in Kentucky this last year stated in an affidavit that Mexican organized crime figures had frequented the cockfights there, and had even brought in a hit man to kill a cockfighter who had laundered money. Federal investigations continue to reveal cockfights can be intricate illegal gambling enterprises, often associated with the distribution of large quantities of cocaine, heroin, and meth.

Thank you so much for posting this! I always wondered about the Roosters and fighting. Lots to read! Thank you!

There is a lot of money in cockfighting. Enough to kill over certainly. Plus if fights were being held on the properties anyone attending those fight regularly would become familiar with the properties and possibly the dogs. Lots of cash on hand for those organizing the fights on their property. Maybe that huge building on CR1's property wasn't for growing pot or working on cars. It could easily be used to hold a cockfighting event.

Cockfighting ban ruffles some feathers
NM - Ronald Barron said for some it's a livelihood, for others it's a hobby. On June 15, cockfighting in New Mexico becomes illegal, making it the 49th state in the nation to outlaw the practice. "It's also an activity where they do a lot of illegal gambling; where nobody pays any taxes on anything that they earn. They can get $10,000, up to a $100,000, in a cockfight."
www.lcsun-news.com / Jose L. Medina / 06/05/2007

MU Law School trains animal abuse investigators
MO - Leading a session Tuesday about dog and *advertiser censored* fighting, as part of an animal cruelty investigations course, she recounted a case she worked on that involved two brothers shooting each other over a dispute involving a dog fight riding on $56,000. Part of MacDonalds [investigator] job is to stop people from holding and gambling on illegal animal fighting rings.
columbiamissourian.com / Missourian News / ASHLEY THOMAS / March 16, 2006
Steve Kaufman, director of operations for the Animal Protective Association of Missouri, said that animal fighting has become a billion-dollar business

House bill would make cockfighting a felony
SC - People involved with cockfighting could face strict penalties under a House bill proposed on Tuesday. Last week, Charles Sharpe gave up his office and pleaded guilty to taking a $10,000 bribe to protect a cockfighting ring and lying to a federal officer. State Attorney General Henry McMaster said the legislation also would help his quest to crack down on dogfighting as well. Animal advocates say they have fought for tougher penalties for years, but the cockfighting industry has paid lobbyists to influence lawmakers to protect major illegal gambling revenues as well as the high-dollar sales of fighting birds.
www.thestate.com / Associated Press / JENNIFER HOLLAND / Jan. 25, 2005

Click here: Youngstown news, City and state get serious in taking on cockfighting

Could the hold up be the motive? Could it be they know who but can't prove a motive?

I have long leaned toward a custody issue as the motive but KR just doesn't fit with that theory. After reading how widespread cockfighting is and how much money is involved I am wondering if that might not have been the motive. Certainly KR could have been involved in this along with his brother and cousin.

Sheriff Reader has ruled out the Mexican drug cartels but has not ruled out cockfighting.

Sheriff Reader said "this is bigger than drugs and a few stolen cars."

From what I am reading on cockfighting it is a widely organized ring and a lot of money is passed through these fights. A huge majority of those arrested have Latino names. At the risk of sounding frivolous and racist a "Mexican cockfighting cartel" if you will.

I don't think the Rhodens or their family, friends or neighbors would see cockfighting as a crime per se and would think nothing of fights held on CR1's property.

We have also debated on here why BJM was feeding the animals everyday when it appeared that CR1 was there. Could she also have been cleaning up after these fights?

All this is purely my own theory but DeWine did say there was evidence of cockfighting held on the properties.

One last footnote: I find it strange indeed that Mike DeWine's wife Fran was the one who alerted him to the evidence of cockfighting making me wonder how she might have came about her knowledge? lol.

Anyone else care to comment on this as a motive?

Or how Mrs. DeWine became so familiar with what cockfighting looks like? lol Sorry it's a new year.

It was discussed early on that the new, large barn looked to be partially on another property according to maps. There were cars parked back even farther. If that were the case, could that have caused very hard feelings...

Could the hold up be the motive? Could it be they know who but can't prove a motive?

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think prosecutors have to prove motive to get a conviction. However most juries want that info, so it's possible.

It was discussed early on that the new, large barn looked to be partially on another property according to maps. There were cars parked back even farther. If that were the case, could that have caused very hard feelings...

That's interesting! I recall reading how the Sheriff revised his statement (threatening arrest for not talking) to include neighbors.

I have long leaned toward a custody issue as the motive but KR just doesn't fit with that theory. After reading how widespread cockfighting is and how much money is involved I am wondering if that might not have been the motive. Certainly KR could have been involved in this along with his brother and cousin.

Sheriff Reader has ruled out the Mexican drug cartels but has not ruled out cockfighting.

Sheriff Reader said "this is bigger than drugs and a few stolen cars."

From what I am reading on cockfighting it is a widely organized ring and a lot of money is passed through these fights. A huge majority of those arrested have Latino names. At the risk of sounding frivolous and racist a "Mexican cockfighting cartel" if you will.

I don't think the Rhodens or their family, friends or neighbors would see cockfighting as a crime per se and would think nothing of fights held on CR1's property.

We have also debated on here why BJM was feeding the animals everyday when it appeared that CR1 was there. Could she also have been cleaning up after these fights?

All this is purely my own theory but DeWine did say there was evidence of cockfighting held on the properties.

One last footnote: I find it strange indeed that Mike DeWine's wife Fran was the one who alerted him to the evidence of cockfighting making me wonder how she might have came about her knowledge? lol.

Anyone else care to comment on this as a motive?

Or how Mrs. DeWine became so familiar with what cockfighting looks like? lol Sorry it's a new year.

I don't have the foggiest idea how Fran DeWine would know anything about cockfighting lol. That's pretty weird. I think cockfighting is just as plausible as any other theory out there. But I don't think some Mexican hit man did it. Had to be someone local.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/12/28/pike-county-sheriff-sworn-in.html

Another link, more in it Columbus Dispatch.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

“With the amount of personnel and resources we have committed to this case since April, I have no doubt that, had we been given truthful and accurate information from those who are closest to our victims, we would have had it solved by now,”

And with this all those coincidences involving the "9th victim stories" rears it's ugly head. It also throws into question everything told by the ones who discovered the bodies and statements made by family members.

I agree, it's personal.

But the fact that it is personal with family, friends or neighbors involved doesn't rule out my current theory of cockfighting as I have found many stories in different news articles of family or friends killing each other because they felt they were cheated at one of these fighting events. It seems this is a deadly sport and not just for the chickens either.

Then again it certainly doesn't rule out my past theory of child custody issue either.

This murder has so many angles any theory could be right.

Just before he was sworn in this afternoon for his first elected term as sheriff of Pike County, Charles Reader said that solving the Rhoden family homicides will remain his priority and that he doesn’t want or expect the case to still be lingering when he seeks another term in four years.

This really disturbs me and makes me think they don't have a clue who did this or even a suspect in mind.

I'm leaning toward this being personal, even more, now.

Yes, I agree. When is the next interview of a relative to be published in a newspaper ? In my opinion these interviews will become more difficult ....

“With the amount of personnel and resources we have committed to this case since April, I have no doubt that, had we been given truthful and accurate information from those who are closest to our victims, we would have had it solved by now,”

And with this all those coincidences involving the "9th victim stories" rears it's ugly head. It also throws into question everything told by the ones who discovered the bodies and statements made by family members.

I agree, it's personal.

But the fact that it is personal with family, friends or neighbors involved doesn't rule out my current theory of cockfighting as I have found many stories in different news articles of family or friends killing each other because they felt they were cheated at one of these fighting events. It seems this is a deadly sport and not just for the chickens either.

Then again it certainly doesn't rule out my past theory of child custody issue either.

This murder has so many angles any theory could be right.

Just before he was sworn in this afternoon for his first elected term as sheriff of Pike County, Charles Reader said that solving the Rhoden family homicides will remain his priority and that he doesn’t want or expect the case to still be lingering when he seeks another term in four years.

This really disturbs me and makes me think they don't have a clue who did this or even a suspect in mind.

In your research about cockfighting have you found any cases like this with so many victims or multiple members of one family?

The "9th victim stories" have always bothered me. Too coincidental that all these people had last-minute change of plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead