OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: It's done more formally in the Catholic religion. IANAC, personally, so I'm unsure if it's still practiced regularly, but, the Rhodens, and HG, were not Catholic (at least I see no indication that they were).

The god father / god mother concept is still practiced regularly with Catholics. It may even be near mandatory for baptism. Though not all Catholics take the honor seriously, many do and maintain contact with their god child (children).

I am not sure either what religion the Rhoden family is. Though Catholics are not common in Appalachia, my guess is that there could be a relatively large number of them in south east Ohio. Then factor in the possibility of mixed marriages.

There's several Catholic families in my part of Appalachia, but it's not really the norm though. I agree that there are most likely two separate Bibles. I only meant that HR was probably keeping, or starting, her own family Bible for her daughters. Based on the funerals, my guess is that neither the Rhodens, nor HHG, were Catholic.

I was mostly curious why TR waited until then to look around for the Bible, but mostly why he'd not stepped foot into the yellow house since his father died, eight years earlier. Maybe he and KR, and CR1, didn't really visit. As tight as the Rhoden men all seemed to be, I just found it interesting.

The land is tied in with all of the brothers. From what I understood, the sisters signed their portions over to the brothers, after Clarence died. CR1 was the caretaker but, with the exception of the property he's purchased on his own, the land Clarence owned is listed as et. al. in the county records.

I'm very disappointed with the lack of updates and info released by LE. Seems like they are under very little pressure by the community and family members. That seems unusual to me. We're talking about 8 innocent people murdered in their beds and the killers are still walking the streets. I can't believe this case isn't getting more attention.

I have a bad feeling that this case will go cold and ultimately unsolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's several Catholic families in my part of Appalachia, but it's not really the norm though. I agree that there are most likely two separate Bibles. I only meant that HR was probably keeping, or starting, her own family Bible for her daughters. Based on the funerals, my guess is that neither the Rhodens, nor HHG, were Catholic.

I was mostly curious why TR waited until then to look around for the Bible, but mostly why he'd not stepped foot into the yellow house since his father died, eight years earlier. Maybe he and KR, and CR1, didn't really visit. As tight as the Rhoden men all seemed to be, I just found it interesting.

The land is tied in with all of the brothers. From what I understood, the sisters signed their portions over to the brothers, after Clarence died. CR1 was the caretaker but, with the exception of the property he's purchased on his own, the land Clarence owned is listed as et. al. in the county records.
Good point made about TR and bible. It was also said by another poster that the grand mother would likely want the family Bible. I can believe it.

I wonder however if that bible may be sought after for other reasons. I have in mind the discussion about
i) the paperwork and access to the trailer i
i) issue of protection of the trailers
iii) KR2's comment that the "proof" she is the godmother is in the bible. ( Whatever proving to be godmother brings. ...)
Iv) The closed proceeding for custody of children. What do we know of who in the family is requesting custody ?

Are these issue related to some situation ?

I would not be surprised if there was a document(s) in the Bible that TR was looking for, other than photos, and such. That's a place folks may stick things that they want to keep at hand, and they know where they'd be easy to grab. Birth certs, wedding certs, divorce certs, insurance policies, etc... It could have been like op said, he wanted it for his mother. Maybe his father had kept it, and TR was on the other side of the split, so he hadn't been around much.

I don't think that it's the same Bible in which HR had written KR's name. I think that Bible would have been in DR's trailer rather than the empty home, where KR had last lived. If that was the one TR was looking for, he may have looked just to say he'd looked, and ruled it out.

AR has her, and FR's baby, B.
I didn't realize until today that AR also worked at BBL. I wonder if that's where she had to work that next day, when she dropped B off that night?
JW has his, and HR's baby, S.

JW has applied for custody of HR's youngest.
CG has applied for custody of HR's youngest.
There is a third possibility but we don't know who, or if he's agreed to a dna test.
No father's name was listed on HR's infant's birth cert.
As of June, 2016, CG & JW were
awaiting the material needed to have their DNA tested to establish paternity of HR's baby. I've not seen any updates to that status.

MG has applied for custody of HG's child.
LM had said that he and his wife were going to apply for custody of one, or both, if memory serves. I'm not sure if they followed through.

I am Catholic, been baptized and have a godmother. The name of godmother is part of the record of the ceremony held by the church. Other church, other place, other practice.

The naming of a godmother has no legal value where I live. However it has a moral value in expressing the will or the trust of a deceased person for the care of an orphan child.

Also, I am not sure that the names you list are the complete candidates for custody. The proceedings being kept secret, I am not sure we will have a definitive answer.

iii) KR2's comment that the "proof" she is the godmother is in the bible. ( Whatever proving to be godmother brings. ...)

Legally, not much. Honor wise or status wise amongst people from an honor culture, maybe alot.
In our region, births and deaths and such are recorded in the "family" Bible many times. (I have such a Bible that's been handed down.)
Good point. I would not be surprised if some Appalachian people customarily make notations with scripture references in family Bibles regarding disputes, promises, reconciliations etc. Thus, their family Bible might be a combination of Bible, safe deposit binder for legal documents and a diary of family history.
There's several Catholic families in my part of Appalachia, but it's not really the norm though.
I think you are from southern Ohio?

The relative large number of Catholics in the Ohio appalachians might have led to the Rhodens, though apparently Methodist, adopting the god father / mother practice. Since the title and responsibilities are an honor, it has the potential to be taken seriously in an appalachian family.

I am Catholic, been baptized and have a godmother. The name of godmother is part of the record of the ceremony held by the church. Other church, other place, other practice.

The naming of a godmother has no legal value where I live. However it has a moral value in expressing the will or the trust of a deceased person for the care of an orphan child.

Also, I am not sure that the names you list are the complete candidates for custody. The proceedings being kept secret, I am not sure we will have a definitive answer.

That is the way it is here. Although, I'm fairly certain that the Rhodens were not Catholic and the role of godmother was more of an honorary title. Something younger mothers do w/friends or close relatives.

I'm not certain that the list is complete either. I do wonder if the dna tests were ever completed? It's a fairly quick turn around. I feel like they were stalling b/c those tests could have been completed, and the results back, well before June. It's just too simple these days.

Legally, not much. Honor wise or status wise amongst people from an honor culture, maybe alot.

Good point. I would not be surprised if some Appalachian people customarily make notations with scripture references in family Bibles regarding disputes, promises, reconciliations etc. Thus, their family Bible might be a combination of Bible, safe deposit binder for legal documents and a diary of family history.

I think you are from southern Ohio?

The relative large number of Catholics in the Ohio appalachians might have led to the Rhodens, though apparently Methodist, adopting the god father / mother practice. Since the title and responsibilities are an honor, once the practice was adopted, it has the potential to be taken seriously in an appalachian family.

No. I'm not in Ohio. I'm in the Appalachian region of Ky. There's very few Catholics in Appalachia, at least that I've encountered. My little community has a few more than is the norm. I worked for a Catholic organization for many years. Most of the ones I know, came here from out of state, to volunteer, liked it here, and stayed. I checked the Catholic church listings and there's one, pretty small, Catholic church in Pike County. I just think this was something done between "besties". Although, I do believe, that KR is probably wanting to take her title seriously.

No. I'm not in Ohio. I'm in the Appalachian region of Ky. There's very few Catholics in Appalachia, at least that I've encountered. My little community has a few more than is the norm.
I think southren Ohio may also buck the trend as far as Catholics go. Catholics still have a priest shortage, so one church can have alot of large services.

As a side note, Mother Angelica (Catholic TV station founder) was from south east Ohio. When I briefly visited the area, I noticed that there was a noticable, but not overwhelming number of last names from Catholic ethnic groups on businesses.

I think southren Ohio may also buck the trend as far as Catholics go. Catholics still have a priest shortage, so one church can have alot of large services.

As a side note, Mother Angelica (Catholic TV station founder) was from south east Ohio. When I briefly visited the area, I noticed that there was a noticable, but not overwhelming number of last names from Catholic ethnic groups on businesses.

There are more as time goes on. Especially as inter-faith marriage has become more common. I don't doubt that the girls who name a friend, or family member, as godparent, do so without frivolity, but, I don't think it's really the same as Catholicism, in that the godparent's role is to ensure that the child is brought up in their faith.

No. I'm not in Ohio. I'm in the Appalachian region of Ky. There's very few Catholics in Appalachia, at least that I've encountered. My little community has a few more than is the norm. I worked for a Catholic organization for many years. Most of the ones I know, came here from out of state, to volunteer, liked it here, and stayed. I checked the Catholic church listings and there's one, pretty small, Catholic church in Pike County. I just think this was something done between "besties". Although, I do believe, that KR is probably wanting to take her title seriously.

I'm in Pike County Kentucky. They are far and few between. The one in Pike county is about 4 miles from me. It's mostly a good will store. I have never heard of them holding church there. HTH's.

There are more as time goes on. Especially as inter-faith marriage has become more common. I don't doubt that the girls who name a friend, or family member, as godparent, do so without frivolity, but, I don't think it's really the same as Catholicism, in that the godparent's role is to ensure that the child is brought up in their faith.

You are correct. :) My son has a God mother. She's my best friend. It has nothing to do with religion. It was simply my way of showing her how much I care.

I'm in Pike County Kentucky. They are far and few between. The one in Pike county is about 4 miles from me. It's mostly a good will store. I have never heard of them holding church there. HTH's.

Well hello! I used to travel through Pike County quite a lot. I'd travel up through Pikeville, and Hagerhill, Prestonsburg, and Paintsville also (different counties but not too far from Pike as the crow flies.)

The one we have here was probably built over 50 years ago and has never had to add-on to the church portion. It was the first one built here, and is the only one in the county.

You are correct. :) My son has a God mother. She's my best friend. It has nothing to do with religion. It was simply my way of showing her how much I care.

Fellow Kentuckian here as well. Born and raised in Lexington. I am Catholic and have a godmother who is also my aunt. I was baptized and confirmed into the religion and went to catholic school from kindergarten thru senior year of high school. I think my aunt was named my godmother at the baptism.

I go to church here and there but I'm not overly religious, more spiritual is what I like to call it. My son doesn't have a godmother and hasn't been baptized yet. But yes to add to the discussion I have family in smaller towns like mount sterling and paintsville and they are mostly Baptist. They tend to pick more godmother/fathers for their children more than my friends here in Lexington.

Fellow Kentuckian here as well. Born and raised in Lexington. I am Catholic and have a godmother who is also my aunt. I was baptized and confirmed into the religion and went to catholic school from kindergarten thru senior year of high school. I think my aunt was named my godmother at the baptism.

I go to church here and there but I'm not overly religious, more spiritual is what I like to call it. My son doesn't have a godmother and hasn't been baptized yet. But yes to add to the discussion I have family in smaller towns like mount sterling and paintsville and they are mostly Baptist. They tend to pick more godmother/fathers for their children more than my friends here in Lexington.

Hello! Just to add another tidbit in, I have a Catholic sil. He's a transplant from up north. I've not yet heard anything discussed re; my grandchild's baptism nor any godparent choices, and my grandchild will soon be one year old. I hadn't really thought about it until today. They live in the Appalachian region of the state also. There are a couple of Catholic churches in their county and one school. Because of the inter-faith marriage, and having my other grandchild from my daughter's previous relationship, I think it's something that has taken a bit more figuring out for them, maybe. I've heard more folks speak of naming honorary godparents, in non-Catholic, families, in recent years, than I did when my kids were young.

L
I'm very disappointed with the lack of updates and info released by LE. Seems like they are under very little pressure by the community and family members. That seems unusual to me. We're talking about 8 innocent people murdered in their beds and the killers are still walking the streets. I can't believe this case isn't getting more attention.

I have a bad feeling that this case will go cold and ultimately unsolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The suspense. Yes, we would all like to have arrests, tonight would be nice. I would love to see it, but I don't want mistakes.
8 murders in 4 homes, friends, family and neighbors lying to investigators.... how incredibly smart that was.
Investigators know who lied.
Arrests will come.

I'm not Catholic, either. But I was an acquaintance of the former pastor in our little town of 2700. He died unexpectedly in his early 60's several years ago. To this day, there is no full time pastor. The pastor from another tow 12 miles away comes over every week and holds svcs early on Sunday and on Tues eve.

This bible thing is interesting. As I explained, I keep my families "history". Pictures, birth and death certs, letters, etc. Some are pretty old and delicate. I unfortunately do not have a family bible. My point is, this items are hard to come by. Why would something so "important" be left in a house that is empty, falling apart and could be broken into? Not to mention what the elements, and mice could do to it.
Wouldn't you keep that somewhere safer? I would. Me, I would keep it in a metal box or wrapped up plastic to keep it safe. It seems to me that something that important and precious would be in a safe place in my home.
Makes you wonder if maybe TR was looking for something else.
On the subject of KR being godmother to Kylie, IMO, HR sure had been disappointed with the fathers of her children. In my hillbilly family, we women have been there for each other through all the bad times in life, more than the men. Since KR says she and HR were close, maybe she just knew KR could be counted on to be there for her daughter. And in my family , it is an honor to be asked to watch over someones most precious gift, their child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member