OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If another church and pastor are in the mix of this mystery, he may prefer to stay out of the limelight, and keep what he may consider private, private. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be, living there, and everybody and their brother wants to know all the facts and thoughts you may have, considering your relationship with any or all of the family members.

I would like to understand why they haven't been in this church for a while.

Was it because the Rhodens were not attending a regular service? Or was it because they no longer felt welcome in this one?

IMO, DR and HR were believers and were going to another church. Note also, their funeral service was celebrated in another church.

Why do we hear from this Pastor and not from another one? I find the quotes reported in the article you shared, if they are true, not entirely respectful. However I would be careful with this story.

I think there is more to it.

In this particular article, I think that the author followed the Manleys to their church in order to get closer to them, possibly, and to likely speak with their pastor, about them. Also, as glf mentions, it's very possible that the other pastor, where the funerals were held, declined to speak with them. I also think, that being an outsider, and coming in to nose around and ask questions, that they were more likely to get the answers they got from the locals. From the drunks at the bar, to the people refusing to talk about it. This was only five weeks after the murders. The people there didn't know these folks from Adam. I'm from the region, and obviously it's a large region, but if I were to roll up into the community and begin pumping them, about those murders, and they'd never seen me before, I'm not so sure I wouldn't get similar answers, and I'd likely blend in pretty well. I'm not so sure I wouldn't give similar answers (maybe not as harsh as some). In other words, I took most of the responses to mean; buzz off (so to speak). Most folks are a bit leery of strangers. I think that LM was hurting, and they made up with him at the church, and he agreed to talk to them. The pastor is probably a bit of a busy body. If any other folks from the region have a different take, please share. That's just my take on it.

In this particular article, I think that the author followed the Manleys to their church in order to get closer to them, possibly, and to likely speak with their pastor, about them. Also, as glf mentions, it's very possible that the other pastor, where the funerals were held, declined to speak with them. I also think, that being an outsider, and coming in to nose around and ask questions, that they were more likely to get the answers they got from the locals. From the drunks at the bar, to the people refusing to talk about it. This was only five weeks after the murders. The people there didn't know these folks from Adam. I'm from the region, and obviously it's a large region, but if I were to roll up into the community and begin pumping them, about those murders, and they'd never seen me before, I'm not so sure I wouldn't get similar answers, and I'd likely blend in pretty well. I'm not so sure I wouldn't give similar answers (maybe not as harsh as some). In other words, I took most of the responses to mean; buzz off (so to speak). Most folks are a bit leery of strangers. I think that LM was hurting, and they made up with him at the church, and he agreed to talk to them. The pastor is probably a bit of a busy body. If any other folks from the region have a different take, please share. That's just my take on it.

I agree with you. I think the people she talked to were closing ranks so to speak. That's why when she said she was writing about the Rhodens she got comments like "write about my d....". They didn't want to comment about the murders, more than likely because after five weeks they had every reporter from everywhere in the world trying to interview them and their dog. At first it might have been a novelty but after five weeks of it the community and derby participants were getting worn down with the attention. Not to mention they were probably being misquoted on everything.

Remember those earlier news articles portraying the residents as backwoods hillbillies who would spill their guts for a pack of cigarettes? Poverty ridden people with no job, no money and no pride? The people from Appalachia are proud people and I can imagine that didn't sit well with anyone from the region. It wouldn't have gone over well with me either if that was the way me and my people were being portrayed to the world. I would have said the same thing the drunk did. Maybe not in those harsh a terms but something along the same line for sure. And the fact that the woman sitting there flicked the reporter on the head spoke volumes to me about the disdain the people held her and other reporters in. And remember those people in the derbies held huge memorials for the Rhodens, so I think they are a tight group who were loyal to the Rhodens and other participants in the sport. JS

I also think it speaks volumes about the vibe they were getting from the people that they felt the need to go to Walmart and buy a gun. That maybe those residents were more loyal to the Rhodens memory than her article portrayed them to be.

OK thanks. It still does not answer why they were not longer attending this church. But that's ok. Let's park this for a while.

"They all used to attend our church"

*https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ltiple-fatalities-being-investigated-in-ohio/

One more comment on this. I think it says a lot about how scared people in that region really were when Walmart was sold out of guns. I don't believe that happens very often.

Maybe they decided to go to a different church. I have changed churches before when I didn't like the way a pastor was preaching or because some of my family or friends talked me into going to a different one.

This is exactly my point. Maybe they did not like the preaching or were no longer getting along with the Pastor.

It's a detail. But it's how we got to thread 24: with details :)

OK thanks. It still does not answer why they were not longer attending this church. But that's ok. Let's park this for a while.

"They all used to attend our church"

*https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ltiple-fatalities-being-investigated-in-ohio/

I don't think I worded it the way I was trying to. DR was a Manley. The Manleys may have attended this church. However, the Rhodens may have attended the other church, and she just switched b/c she'd come back into the Rhoden family. I probably won't have anyone to preach my funeral as I've gone to several different churches over the years. :thinking: Also, maybe the funerals were held at the other church b/c it was larger, but both pastors spoke, (which I've seen happen). We had one in a school gymnasium here b/c they knew the crowd would be so large and I guess half the town was there. Then again, they may have just done what I've done on occasion and gotten lazy, and quit getting up and going...

I agree with you. I think the people she talked to were closing ranks so to speak. That's why when she said she was writing about the Rhodens she got comments like "write about my d....". They didn't want to comment about the murders, more than likely because after five weeks they had every reporter from everywhere in the world trying to interview them and their dog. At first it might have been a novelty but after five weeks of it the community and derby participants were getting worn down with the attention. Not to mention they were probably being misquoted on everything.

Remember those earlier news articles portraying the residents as backwoods hillbillies who would spill their guts for a pack of cigarettes? Poverty ridden people with no job, no money and no pride? The people from Appalachia are proud people and I can imagine that didn't sit well with anyone from the region. It wouldn't have gone over well with me either if that was the way me and my people were being portrayed to the world. I would have said the same thing the drunk did. Maybe not in those harsh a terms but something along the same line for sure. And the fact that the woman sitting there flicked the reporter on the head spoke volumes to me about the disdain the people held her and other reporters in. And remember those people in the derbies held huge memorials for the Rhodens, so I think they are a tight group who were loyal to the Rhodens and other participants in the sport. JS

I also think it speaks volumes about the vibe they were getting from the people that they felt the need to go to Walmart and buy a gun. That maybe those residents were more loyal to the Rhodens memory than her article portrayed them to be.

Agreed on all points.
BBM points, double agree.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ike-county-victims-they-need-church/83694772/

This article provides more details:

"Leonard and Judy Manley – whose daughter, Dana Rhoden, and her ex-husband, Chris Rhoden, were killed along with three of their grandchildren – were not members of Fulton’s church. But Dana and the kids – Frankie Rhoden, 20, Hanna, 19, and Chris Jr., 16 – had often come to services."

This offert for financial help is really nice :

" And he’s sure the church will provide some financial help to the family, once the funerals are over, the bodies are buried and the media moves onto the next story."

A last quote for today.

Do you find the following statement odd for a first day reaction?

“(This is) very out of character for our community, but with the ways of the world, the way things are going, I guess maybe we shouldn’t be surprised," Union Hill Church pastor Phil Fulton said. "But we are. This is so tragic.”

*http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/adams-county/multiple-fatalities-confirmed-at-pike-county-home

Having been raised up in the Pentecostal faith, I personally don't find anything odd about any of the articles or his statements. I attend, (when I go), a Baptist church the past few years, but am not a member. I haven't darkened the door of the church in nearly nine months, or more, but if someone asked me; Do you attend church? I'd say; Yes...but not like I should. :blushing: Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking though.

BBM
I do think that this statement is just his fatalistic view of how the world is going to H#ll in a handbasket.

A last quote for today.

Do you find the following statement odd for a first day reaction?

“(This is) very out of character for our community, but with the ways of the world, the way things are going, I guess maybe we shouldn’t be surprised," Union Hill Church pastor Phil Fulton said. "But we are. This is so tragic.”

*http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/adams-county/multiple-fatalities-confirmed-at-pike-county-home

Well, in a sense, he's right! The way the whole world is now, compared to even 20 years ago, there is so much tragedy! My other half always tells me it's always been this way, I just pay more attention now that I'm older! I've never been a news watcher but everything circulates through social media! Facebook is where I first learned of this case!

Well, in a sense, he's right! The way the whole world is now, compared to even 20 years ago, there is so much tragedy! My other half always tells me it's always been this way, I just pay more attention now that I'm older! I've never been a news watcher but everything circulates through social media! Facebook is where I first learned of this case!

They say that violent crime is actually down. However, we do hear about every, single, thing, that happens because, as you said, we pay more attention, and we are wired to every corner of the world now. Thirty years ago, my local news would likely have covered these murders, so I'd have heard about them, b/c of their proximity to me, however, the kidnapping victim who was held for three weeks, beaten, and released on Thanksgiving day, out in Redding, Ca., most likely I'd not have heard about.

That lady that did that article is from California. I don't take total faith in all she says. People in Pike County don't like talking about these murders cause they are scared. After what happened in court down there today, it may just shut every hope down of arrests in this case.

JJ killed two people in separate occasions shortly after He became a deputy. One he was intoxicated. One on duty, one not. Neither of the two killed were armed.
The MAX they say he will get on the second one in 9 months AND a chance to work LE again, in different jurisdiction.
The one today...not guilty all counts.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...jenkins-innocent-if-you-believe-him/96669262/

I don't understand....HOW?
Some cases get justice, others no. And he even took the stand.
OK I'll just hush now. :facepalm:

Someone slap me please. :thinking:

I agree that practically every horrid thing that happens,usually shocks most everybody. But, as stated, so much happens, we shouldn't be surprised by much of anything. However, most everybody still live by the presumption that there is good in everybody. More and more, it seems harder and harder to believe.
With this case, and the Heimer case, I don't know if any good could be found in the heartless killers. And I'm sure people following other cases here, may have the same feelings about the killers in them, also.

That lady that did that article is from California. I don't take total faith in all she says. People in Pike County don't like talking about these murders cause they are scared. After what happened in court down there today, it may just shut every hope down of arrests in this case.

JJ killed two people in separate occasions shortly after He became a deputy. One he was intoxicated. One on duty, one not. Neither of the two killed were armed.
The MAX they say he will get on the second one in 9 months AND a chance to work LE again, in different jurisdiction.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...jenkins-innocent-if-you-believe-him/96669262/

I wasn't there, or on the jury, so didn't hear the evidence. But, from what I've read, and heard from WS folks, I feel that this verdict was just plain wrong.

Well, don't be disheartened by the outcome! Karmas a b!+€h! It will catch up one day. And I'll bet the farm he won't be working for Reader!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez