OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

Teen pregnancies, at last I checked, have been going down nationwide, however the same was not holding true for most areas of Appalachia. There are several factors at play re; the teen, unwed, mother of Appalachia. I agree, it would have been a very interesting article to have researched in that direction. There are girls who have deliberately set out to have a baby, and others, like my own child, who did not plan to, but ended up with one...(who we love beyond measure). :loveyou:

Your theory on the babies being held by the assailant(s) is very interesting. I'd not thought of that. It's hard to picture someone doing something so callous, all the while holding an infant, then placing it back in the bed beside it's deceased, and bloodied, parents. It would hold true to my belief that there were at least two assailants though. They probably could have scooped the child up, done what they'd come there to do, and replaced the child, in a matter of seconds. I believe they were in and out fairly quickly and I think they had a key for each location, or were let inside at CR1's and/or DR's. I was taken aback that HR's infant was said to be trying to nurse. I didn't think that this could get much more heartbreaking. I know they'd said it looked as if she'd been nursing the infant, but I'd not really put 2 & 2 together.

Along the same line, and with the text of the author about the church and the considerations by other locals, there could be another theory. It could be motivated by morality.

Edit: do we know who were the other couple with BJM?

Published August 8th. I've would have thought the Pastor would have had a better reading of the situation.

"Because if they’ve done it once, they’re not going to stop. They’ll do it again … They’ve sent a message,” Fulton said. “No doubt that message has went far and wide.”

Fulton said the April deaths are a stark reminder to the dangers of drug dealing.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...shootings-pastor-says/uhdppZNNb4say1JMpcT6zH/

From what we know today of this drug thing, his comment is surprising for a person who would know the family.

I was really taken aback after reading that article. Aside from many people's cold, callous remarks, others who might have given some insight to the family, and may have ideas about what could have been the cause of these murders have been told not to discuss it in the workplace.
This Kyle, whom was quite drunk, according to the author, comes across as a male chauvinist pig, who described the Rhodens as a carbon copy of himself.
I realize that when people are barely scraping by to make ends meet, certainly don't have the funds to move, but if I were in their shoes, I think every penny they could save would go towards a relocation fund. Obviously, the entire county, and a big part of the region has very little opportunity job wise. I personally think moving would be my ultimate goal.
Living in C'Vale for over 15years, a town of 2700, there was ALOT of teenage pregnancy. I made the comment to a friend, it sort of seemed like girls under 21, seemed to think they weren't living right if they didn't have at least two kids to drag everywhere they went. And most weren't that interested in marriage.

I was really taken aback after reading that article. Aside from many people's cold, callous remarks, others who might have given some insight to the family, and may have ideas about what could have been the cause of these murders have been told not to discuss it in the workplace.
This Kyle, whom was quite drunk, according to the author, comes across as a male chauvinist pig, who described the Rhodens as a carbon copy of himself.
I realize that when people are barely scraping by to make ends meet, certainly don't have the funds to move, but if I were in their shoes, I think every penny they could save would go towards a relocation fund. Obviously, the entire county, and a big part of the region has very little opportunity job wise. I personally think moving would be my ultimate goal.
Living in C'Vale for over 15years, a town of 2700, there was ALOT of teenage pregnancy. I made the comment to a friend, it sort of seemed like girls under 21, seemed to think they weren't living right if they didn't have at least two kids to drag everywhere they went. And most weren't that interested in marriage.
I agree. This is what I perceive also

In that article, BJM states that she found CRS covered up and she pulled the covers up. I don't think that has been stated before anywhere else. I wonder why he would have been covered up?

Published August 8th. I've would have thought the Pastor would have had a better reading of the situation.

"Because if they’ve done it once, they’re not going to stop. They’ll do it again … They’ve sent a message,” Fulton said. “No doubt that message has went far and wide.”

Fulton said the April deaths are a stark reminder to the dangers of drug dealing.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...shootings-pastor-says/uhdppZNNb4say1JMpcT6zH/

From what we know today of this drug thing, his comment is surprising for a person who would know the family.

The pastor may not have known all of the family intimately. Also, there is a drug problem in the community, and they did find pot at the homes. When she first went down there, five weeks after the murders, people may have still had the notion that this was drug related, and that it could be about more than pot. There's little sympathy for folks who are dealing hard drugs, and not a whole lot for the users either. I'm not saying that the Rhodens were dealing in anything harder than pot, but, if they were thought to be, then some folk's views aren't that surprising to me.

I don't have any links or any statistics, no research...* If you're born in an area where job prospects are slim to none, there isnt much to look forward to.

Kids go to school for 12-13 years looking forward to "graduation day".* That day comes (for the ones that make it). Time to answer that magical childhood question: "What do you want to be when you grow up?

Welp...* Now you're a grown-up. The reality is that you will be competing with your own parents or grandparents for the few jobs that are available.* It's almost like taking resources away from your own family.

When you're female, being a wife and mother is a strong part of your identity.* "Getting married and starting a family someday" is kinda how we're wired.

And let's face it, sex is going to happen. Babies are going to happen.* No one starts out deciding to be a single mother who also happens to be poor with no way out. It just happens. Adding to that, sometimes it's more profitable For them NOT to get married. (Please don't everybody beat me up)

And RSD you are SO RIGHT when you say "we love them beyond measure".

In that article, BJM states that she found CRS covered up and she pulled the covers up. I don't think that has been stated before anywhere else. I wonder why he would have been covered up?

I'd not read that anywhere either. I wondered the same. Could it be that CR1 was murdered first, in the bedroom, then they just threw something over him, while they searched for something? B/c they knew him? Then GR came in, they murder him as he comes in the front room, and drag him to the back in case someone else comes to the door, as they're finishing up their search. GR probably would have had a key and walked right in.

I also took note that LM spoke of BJM as being naive, and that she was easily taken advantage of.

I read that too. Weird. I don't know if she really said that or if she was misquoted.

But it could be consistent with the idea the bodies were moved not to be seen from outside.

Having lived and worked in Appalachia my entire life, I can say that there is a great deal of poverty throughout the region. Higher rates of teen pregnancy often coincides w/poverty. Broken homes, drug/alcohol abuse, and a need to fill a void also coincide w/poverty. Motherhood, for some girls, can be seen as a purpose. It fills the void. As teens, they don't see beyond that though. Many don't have the ability to further their educations after having a baby. It becomes a cycle.

The pastor may not have known all of the family intimately. Also, there is a drug problem in the community, and they did find pot at the homes. When she first went down there, five weeks after the murders, people may have still had the notion that this was drug related, and that it could be about more than pot. There's little sympathy for folks who are dealing hard drugs, and not a whole lot for the users either. I'm not saying that the Rhodens were dealing in anything harder than pot, but, if they were thought to be, then some folk's views aren't that surprising to me.
I hear your point. But I think he should know more than you imply.

Here is a man that has communicated on this case in a few occasions. Last time in december. If he didn't know them, I think he should refrain from speaking to media

*http://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde..._continue_to_haunt_tiny_community_photos.html

It happened in his community. He has spoken on behalf of BJM in one of the stories. He has been interviewed by police most probably more than once. Knew many of the acquaintances of the victims. I am disappointed he is not being able to provide a better light on this family.

I know locals have a great trust in a Pastor. I don't want to hurt anybody's feeling. In this case, I am prudent with anyone. In my neighborhood, we would never trust a clerics' word more than anyone else.

I'd not read that anywhere either. I wondered the same. Could it be that CR1 was murdered first, in the bedroom, then they just threw something over him, while they searched for something? B/c they knew him? Then GR came in, they murder him as he comes in the front room, and drag him to the back in case someone else comes to the door, as they're finishing up their search. GR probably would have had a key and walked right in.

I also took note that LM spoke of BJM as being naive, and that she was easily taken advantage of.
Agreed.

I hear your point. But I think he should know more than you imply.

Here is a man that has communicated on this case in a few occasions. Last time in december. If he didn't know them, I think he should refrain from speaking to media

*http://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde..._continue_to_haunt_tiny_community_photos.html

It happened in his community. He has spoken on behalf of BJM in one of the stories. He has been interviewed by police most probably more than once. Knew many of the acquaintances of the victims. I am disappointed he is not being able to provide a better light on this family.

I know locals have a great trust in a Pastor. I don't want to hurt anybody's feeling. In this case, I am prudent with anyone. In my neighborhood, we would never trust a clerics' word more than anyone else.

I understand where your coming from, and he may have known DR, and BJM, and even the children as they grew up, but maybe not CR1, KR, and GR, very well. Maybe others in the region have different experiences (I know my Catholic friends have very different experiences). However, it's not really uncommon for a pastor to be rather vocal about such things (the wages of sin, so to speak). He may be convinced that it's all about drugs, or, even if it's not, the fact that there was pot found there, is enough for him to be vocal about that lifestyle. When there's a funeral, there's usually, what I call, a "come to Jesus" sermon included, about the wages of sin. Not all of the time, but many times. Evangelical pastors are different. I'm not disparaging them. I was raised up in the Evangelical church. They can be a bit blunt sometimes. That's just my own experience. Other's experiences may be different than mine.

Here is what I got from the article:

The way that HG was found suggests she was not asleep when she was shot in the face.
There were more than 31 shots fired at the scenes of the murders at CRsr, Dana's and Frankie's (suggesting to me that they were "staging" the scene's or that someone in the group was really out-of -control)
CRsr was "covered up" suggesting the murderer knew him personally and couldn't stand to look at him.
Dana had "routine" drug tests through her employment. Suggesting she was not a drug abuser.
Locals appear to be either disinterested in the murders anymore or feel that the Rhoden's deserved what they got.
"Trouper" suggested that Pike Co is a "drug den" and should be avoided because of the danger of drugs and bedbugs? (hope that was a state and not a local trouper).
Leonard and BJM are very "upset" because LE, BCI, and some locals don't believe their story of what they told them.
BJM has had at least one polygraph test. (didn't say if she passed or not).
Leonard says that BJM " has the heart of a kid" Locals think she is "retarded" (suggesting to me, that she is just to simple to have done anything wrong. ( like a fox)
"Family members" suggest that in other to "sneak up" on the Rhoden's you just park on the shoulder of the road and follow the trails behind their's and the neighbor's property.
LE "hauled" 100-150 cars from the Rhoden's property.
Leonard commenting on CRsr's trailer not having a real roof on it and it being just a box?

OK , that's what I got. IMO Leonard or the author or both were making the Manley's out to be some very poor, but hard working people who had a lot of tradgedy (sp) in their lives. Miss Hale is an author for LA and has to sell her articles, books. She is very discriptive (sp) as an author usually is. Her perception of "we" hillbillies are the usual for "city people" when talking about country people.
This is all MO and I did learn a few new things from the article. Some of the things I had heard or read, so it just confirms what I have in my notes. I would really like to hear more from the Rhoden family. There is just something about the Manley's that makes me not trust them. All IMO , is not what it appears to be about them.

From what I remember, the Pastor stated that the Rhoden's had been to his church, but that he had not seen them there for a while.

One of these days, I will get my act together and print out stuff on cases that I follow.

Jumping off of amuet1

This probably means nothing, but, about the bed bugs. I'm thinking Piketon Motel (I think that's what he may have been talking about, b/c there is one, and it is reviewed online as having bedbugs). I wonder if that's how bed bugs came to rest at the trailer? No other trailers had bed bugs (that we know of) and CR1's trailer is where it's said that GR was living. GR had a more sketchy past w/harder drug use.

I've always thought that they almost lost control of the situation at CR1's and that was the reason for the many shots there. He was hit the most, and more toward center mass, in addition to the head shots. Shots to stop him, in other words. They may not have even expected him to be there, or he woke up before they could get to him.

I honestly don't think that BJM is as simple as she is made out to be. I did find it odd that w/only four children, that LM didn't know that she was 35... He's not that old. I did find the comment, "Bobby worked in exchange for friendship" sad.

The thing about CR1's trailer being a "box" struck me too. I thought that maybe he meant that there were scant furnishings in it and the lack of windows in the front of it (I think there was one) made it look like a box.

I found the entire piece sad.

Yeah, I didn't understand about the roof of Chris's house. Unless he had installed solar panels. I imagine, because of his carpentry skills, if that could be done, he could do it. There didn't seem t be very many windows on the front of the house, and earlybon, there was speculation that maybe he had installed siding over the majority of them. Either that, or, possibly somebody designed the home to their liking, and Chris bought it second hand.
In 1980, we bought a new home off a dealer lot that a couple designed themselves, and then decided they couldn't afford it. So it was a one-of-a-kind. And I loved it! Almost like somebody designed it for me.

Funny what gets printed in the newspaper articles and what gets printed in others. Me, I'm wondering why some of the things printed in Chris Graves article " Murder on the Ridge" (I think) had more in it than her newspaper article and who chose what went in them. And then Miss Hale, had other things in hers. Makes me wonder if they are holding back more info.
I mean IMO, from the "live" interviews with Leonard and Kendra, it looked like they wanted to say more. I wish "somebody" would start talking! I feel like a jackass with a carrot dangled in front of me! with the amount of info we are getting. Here's a little.......Here's a little.....
NO updates of any kind at all. Makes me wonder what is going on, if anything!

Yeah, Charlie did that whole interview thing, but I feel like he is so preoccupied with patting himself on the back for everything that has come to light so far, he's filed the real purpose of this investigation somewhere in the back of his mind...eight people were killed, and it appears as if hardly anything pertinent has been revealed that can move this case any closer to closure.
I still believe the babies are being used as pawns, and that is cruel and possissibly borderline illegal. Maybe if everybody were following the guidelines of the law, this case might be headed in the right direction, and I am including LE right along with the gen pub. As it seems to me, that's not likely to happen!

I understand where your coming from, and he may have known DR, and BJM, and even the children as they grew up, but maybe not CR1, KR, and GR, very well. Maybe others in the region have different experiences (I know my Catholic friends have very different experiences). However, it's not really uncommon for a pastor to be rather vocal about such things (the wages of sin, so to speak). He may be convinced that it's all about drugs, or, even if it's not, the fact that there was pot found there, is enough for him to be vocal about that lifestyle. When there's a funeral, there's usually, what I call, a "come to Jesus" sermon included, about the wages of sin. Not all of the time, but many times. Evangelical pastors are different. I'm not disparaging them. I was raised up in the Evangelical church. They can be a bit blunt sometimes. That's just my own experience. Other's experiences may be different than mine.

I would like to understand why they haven't been in this church for a while.

Was it because the Rhodens were not attending a regular service? Or was it because they no longer felt welcome in this one?

IMO, DR and HR were believers and were going to another church. Note also, their funeral service was celebrated in another church.

Why do we hear from this Pastor and not from another one? I find the quotes reported in the article you shared, if they are true, not entirely respectful. However I would be careful with this story.

I think there is more to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member