UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on vacation in Ohio and we drove Down Union Hill Road today. I saw the barn, which is the only place, IMO, where there could have been an indoor grow operation.

The barn is not that big. The barn looked much bigger in the pictures posted not long after the murders.

I'm on vacation in Ohio and we drove Down Union Hill Road today. I saw the barn, which is the only place, IMO, where there could have been an indoor grow operation.

The barn is not that big. The barn looked much bigger in the pictures posted not long after the murders.

Hi, long time lurker here. Did you drive by LFR? I’m curious what’s visible at that location now.

So were both of these reporters offered dream jobs in others cities to get them to move away from the Rhoden murders investigation? And when they moved away did they completely forget about the Rhoden family? After being so passionate about the case?

The way this entire case has been handled by LE, the lack of attention and/or concern by media, the two reporters abruptly relocating across the country, reward money being withdrawn.........

This sounds like storylines for a made-for-tv movie.

So were both of these reporters offered dream jobs in others cities to get them to move away from the Rhoden murders investigation? And when they moved away did they completely forget about the Rhoden family? After being so passionate about the case?

The way this entire case has been handled by LE, the lack of attention and/or concern by media, the two reporters abruptly relocating across the country, reward money being withdrawn.........

This sounds like storylines for a made-for-tv movie.

Many people have spoke of Ruby’s generosity in offering reward money in other cases,and total shock at him removing the offer. At the crime scene he appeared to have lengthy discussion with LE, so between that time and 2 or 3 days later the reward offer was rescinded for the safety of his family. Something put a fear in him for him to remove his offer, I hardly think it was a custody issue,what ever it was I think he was afraid of retaliation.

I've been thinking that this has to be about more than just custody. JW's family had no history of violent crimes. For Ruby to withdraw his reward offer for the safety of his family, he had to have been told this was something big, something from which LE might not be able to protect his family. We were told this was bigger than a few mj plants. I think a lot has been planted to distract from the real issue. I personally feel that JW's family left for safety as well. It was just their fortune to have S already in their custody. I think BBL and affiliates are more involved than we think, or else why did RW renew the health facility initiated by CR1? My gut keeps thinking money laundering or huge drug issue involving some higher-ups. Why else would this be kept so quiet and even journalists moving away? I think perhaps even LE doesn't know who it can trust among themselves. JMO.

Last edited:
I've been thinking that this has to be about more than just custody. JW's family had no history of violent crimes. For Ruby to withdraw his reward offer for the safety of his family, he had to have been told this was something big, something from which LE might not be able to protect his family. We were told this was bigger than a few mj plants. I think a lot has been planted to distract from the real issue. I personally feel that JW's family left for safety as well. It was just their fortune to have S already in their custody. I think BBL and affiliates are more involved than we think, or else why did RW renew the health facility initiated by CR1? My gut keeps thinking money laundering or huge drug issue involving some higher-ups. Why else would this be kept so quiet and even journalists moving away? I think perhaps even LE doesn't know who it can trust among themselves. JMO.

It seems likely to involve people higher up in some sort of system or organization. Most likely some kind of illegal activity.

The two reporters left because they were "laid off" their jobs, supposedly in downsizing moves. I don't think they left voluntarily. It's fortunate each of them found other employment, that's probably due to their good resumes and experience.

It seems likely to involve people higher up in some sort of system or organization. Most likely some kind of illegal activity.

The two reporters left because they were "laid off" their jobs, supposedly in downsizing moves. I don't think they left voluntarily. It's fortunate each of them found other employment, that's probably due to their good resumes and experience.
Definitely not the government or the masons, so who could it be?

I am wondering something. Guns are found in a well. No matter if they are connected to Curt and Jenny's murder ( Curt was my cousin btw) or not, there are guns in a well, in the ground 70 some feet down. The only reason someone puts guns in the ground is to hide them. Common sense. So, if there is a recent Murder of 8 family members in your count; wouldn't you do everything in your power to get those guns out of that well and find out things about them? I just do not understand why they are still there. And I know they tried a few times to get them out to no avail, but what if someone goes out there and messes with things? That will hinder the whole scene.

The sheriff has never even made a statement about the guns. I found out because I am a family member or I would have never known anything! I just want justice for my family and Jenny's family. And for anyone in our county that has unsolved murders involving family. It is very heartbreaking to see these things go on.

Justice for those who no longer have a voice!

I'm not about to stand up for the morals or the effectiveness of LE in Pike Co--because I simply don't know. But I was interested enough to read through the Hopper Road article. It makes a good story. But, when it comes down to it, outside of whatever's down that well, I don't see that there's anything beyond he-said-she-said with regard to who shot john (or Jennifer and whomever). The statements are certainly of interest. Of course they come from people who were convicted of other things, which tends to destroy credibility. And the guy who discovered the well was digging around it for 3 days before notifying LE--which tends to throw a monkey wrench into things.

I'm willing to believe that the plumber's video might well provide a good look at a gun or two, but how on earth would anyone be able to identify burned clothing that had been under water for a decade based on a video? IOW, sometimes people see what they want to see. So, it's possible that a prosecutor has judged rightly that they don't have evidence to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. Recall that once a jury says not guilty to a charge, it's done. No do-overs if something better shows up evidence-wise.

THIS IS A COMMENT FROM ANOTHER MEMBER....

I have a question. Despite anything, why do you put guns down in a well?

We all know why. To hide them. Because they were used in something horrific.
Curtis Francis was my cousin. And I loved him very much. And our family and Jenny's family have waited for so long for justice. If I were sheriff, and I have a slew of unsolved murders on my hands, I would do whatever it takes to obtain those guns. I would not stop until I had them out and processed. Maybe they do not pertain to Jenny and Curt, but my Lord you have a whole family murdered in your county. Wouldn't you want to get them out?

Please pray for my family and Jenny's.

Thank you.

I am wondering something. Guns are found in a well. No matter if they are connected to Curt and Jenny's murder ( Curt was my cousin btw) or not, there are guns in a well, in the ground 70 some feet down. The only reason someone puts guns in the ground is to hide them. Common sense. So, if there is a recent Murder of 8 family members in your count; wouldn't you do everything in your power to get those guns out of that well and find out things about them? I just do not understand why they are still there. And I know they tried a few times to get them out to no avail, but what if someone goes out there and messes with things? That will hinder the whole scene.

The sheriff has never even made a statement about the guns. I found out because I am a family member or I would have never known anything! I just want justice for my family and Jenny's family. And for anyone in our county that has unsolved murders involving family. It is very heartbreaking to see these things go on.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Why are there so many unsolved murders in this one small county in Ohio? I could see this happening in a large metro area, but come on, this is not a huge county!

I keep thinking of a Witness Protection Program as a possibility for HHG and the Rhoden family.

I'm not about to stand up for the morals or the effectiveness of LE in Pike Co--because I simply don't know. But I was interested enough to read through the Hopper Road article. It makes a good story. But, when it comes down to it, outside of whatever's down that well, I don't see that there's anything beyond he-said-she-said with regard to who shot john (or Jennifer and whomever). The statements are certainly of interest. Of course they come from people who were convicted of other things, which tends to destroy credibility. And the guy who discovered the well was digging around it for 3 days before notifying LE--which tends to throw a monkey wrench into things.

I'm willing to believe that the plumber's video might well provide a good look at a gun or two, but how on earth would anyone be able to identify burned clothing that had been under water for a decade based on a video? IOW, sometimes people see what they want to see. So, it's possible that a prosecutor has judged rightly that they don't have evidence to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. Recall that once a jury says not guilty to a charge, it's done. No do-overs if something better shows up evidence-wise.

Curtis Francis was my cousin. And I loved him very much. And our family and Jenny's family have waited for so long for justice. If I were sheriff, and I have a slew of unsolved murders on my hands, I would do whatever it takes to obtain those guns. I would not stop until I had them out and processed. Maybe they do not pertain to Jenny and Curt, but my Lord you have a whole family murdered in your county. Wouldn't you want to get them out?

Thank you.

BBM

Welcome to WS.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Who does the family think is responsible for the murders of your cousin? Do they think it is connected to other murders in the area e.g. Newsomes and R's? Was your cousin in any way connected to the Rhodens or Newsomes e.g. family or friends or business in common?

I wish all the best for you and your family.

Are you talking about guns recently found in a well?

Or the ones in the well that Curt Francis's brother found mentioned in the new article?

Welcome to Websleuths, south74! I'm so sorry for what has happened to your family and community. You're asking some very good questions.

Yes, one would think PCSO would try every reasonable option to get those guns. They possibly should also pursue a new review of the case file.

LE and prosecutors face challenges every day in trying to gather evidence in murder cases and bring the criminals to justice. It's always a challenge, but new tools and training should be making it easier.

The witness statements from people willing to testify are still important. Many prosecutors successfully try cases with this kind of assistance, especially when it corroborates evidence they already have. Retrieving murder weapons isn't always necessary. Successful prosecution of the killers of Curt and Jenny may still be possible if they conduct a review of other evidence they have. In this case, the article doesn't mention any other evidence that was gathered from the crime scene. It's possible there's other evidence (DNA footprints, etc.) that could be enough to convince a jury, in combination with first hand witness testimony.

The large number of unsolved crimes in Pike County may be the result of it's poor strategy in dealing with cases. Dropping or not bringing charges in lieu of sending the cases to the Grand Jury doesn't seem to be working. It's difficult to accept that Pike County murder cases are uniquely difficult to solve, compared to other counties.
If it's a problem with resource allocation and funding, that's something the leaders of Pike County and it's citizens should address. They shouldn't accept state budget cuts and under-funding without complaint. Stand up to the guys at the state house and demand tax dollars be allocated as needed. Bring in outside expertise and training to help improve things, maybe even expertise outside of Ohio.

Thank you.

I had to learn water issues like tables, strata and blow iuts when we replaced a water well at the homestead in Alaska.

If I remember right instead of using a mechanical tool to grab them and retrieve them the plumber tried to move the guns and clothing closer to the well with water pressure from a fire hose. Now this would not have been my choice but .........

The result is the pressure blew out one of the apparently thin seperating strata and all the evidence was pushed into another moving water table and it’s gone. There was consideration to drill another hole large enough to allow divers. But I think they’ve made enough crazy choices and the well head is niwcsealed. It can be reopened.

I had to learn water issues like tables, strata and blow iuts when we replaced a water well at the homestead in Alaska.

If I remember right instead of using a mechanical tool to grab them and retrieve them the plumber tried to move the guns and clothing closer to the well with water pressure from a fire hose. Now this would not have been my choice but .........

The result is the pressure blew out one of the apparently thin seperating strata and all the evidence was pushed into another moving water table and it’s gone. There was consideration to drill another hole large enough to allow divers. But I think they’ve made enough crazy choices and the well head is niwcsealed. It can be reopened.

The fire hose idea may have worked if the water was redirected upwards toward the top of the well and not downward. Water wells are sometimes cleaned out with air compressors that way. It draws water in from the bottom and lifts it out increasing water flow quite often. It will lift out sand, gravel, corrosion, etc. that was slowing the water flow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl