OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has already been posted..

Car repairman Donald Stone, 44, told how he found the body of his cousin Kenneth Rhoden lying in bed with a single bullet wound to his head.
Stone revealed that Rhoden's corpse, from its knees down, was strewn with dollar bills which may have been a sinister message from the killer, who police believe could have been a gangland member.
Police are investigating the possibility that a drugs turf war was behind the cold blooded executions and that the killings were the work of gangsters or hired hitmen.
Stone said he was due to have spent the previous evening with his cousin and slept overnight there adding: 'If I had, I would have been victim number nine. I feel lucky about that and to be alive today.'
k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-feet-shot-head-reveals-man-horror-scene.html

More at link

Is anyone having a hard time believing this was all sophisticated? When I think of sophisticated murder I think of clean and quick. The only thing sophisticated about this was they were able to kill 8 people without anyone catching them in the process. Obviously that took planning and calculations otherwise this just seems savage and brutal. And incredibly messy.

LE calls it sophisticated so that they don't get chastised for not solving it. If it is sophisticated, it takes a great deal of sophistication to solve it, LOL JMO

I don't think I've seen this mentioned...what was the weather like the night of the murders? Moonlight? I'm thinking it would be easier for evil doers to skulk up to and around the residences in the moonlight instead of a dark night. No need for flashlights that residents see or set off the outside dogs. Whenever I have been out in the country on moonlit nights a person can see really well and quite a long distance.

I have come to learn that getting involved when you don't have to is best. When I see anything anymore I turn my head so I won't be a witness to the event, best to stay out of it for my own good. Less chance of being accused of wrong doing. jmo In fact I saw a tractor trailer truck hit a car the other day. I kept right on driving, who am I to say that the truck driver hit the car intentionally, it was my opinion that her ducking in to cut him off caused him to ram her. jmo So chances are I won't be the one reporting on finding dead bodies should I ever come across any. jmo

I don't think I've seen this mentioned...what was the weather like the night of the murders? Moonlight? I'm thinking it would be easier for evil doers to skulk up to and around the residences in the moonlight instead of a dark night. No need for flashlights that residents see or set off the outside dogs. Whenever I have been out in the country on moonlit nights a person can see really well and quite a long distance.
It was a full moon. I think someone mentioned that in the first thread.

I have come to learn that getting involved when you don't have to is best. When I see anything anymore I turn my head so I won't be a witness to the event, best to stay out of it for my own good. Less chance of being accused of wrong doing. jmo In fact I saw a tractor trailer truck hit a car the other day. I kept right on driving, who am I to say that the truck driver hit the car intentionally, it was my opinion that her ducking in to cut him off caused him to ram her. jmo So chances are I won't be the one reporting on finding dead bodies should I ever come across any. jmo
You wouldn't report a dead body if you found one??

A small caliber bullet will often not have an exit wound, so less blood. Movies often portray a .22 in the back of the head, it kills but doesn't exit. Any caliber that is powerful enough to exit a skull will leave blood and brains everywhere.

It depends on the type of bullet as well. People who own large caliber guns tend to use hollow point bullets. Because they expand in the body on impact, there is less chance for over-penetration. That's an important feature. If you're shooting someone in your home in self-defense, or if a cop is shooting a criminal, you want to minimize the chances that the bullet(s) will exit the body and possibly strike a bystander.

A large caliber will general 'get the job done' better than a smaller caliber. But, a smaller caliber can be sufficient at close range with a subdued victim. A shot to the head from a .22 would be sufficient to kill Kenneth -- assuming what Donald stated to be true -- because he probably was shot a point blank range while asleep. The others? Well, that could be another story. The number of shots suffered by the other victims could be down to a small caliber firearm, or it could be that the shooter or shooters were not proficient with aim. There are people who have died from a single shot from a small caliber gun, as well as people who lived after taking multiple shots from a large caliber.

LE calls it sophisticated so that they don't get chastised for not solving it. If it is sophisticated, it takes a great deal of sophistication to solve it, LOL JMO

Good point!

Well i got up this morning and decided i had too much to do and i would not spend another full day on WS in this thread, i got up, turned laptop on, checked thread and ive now somehow wasted a whole morning in the topix forums lol. I will say there had been some very interesting discussions about the minford murders, harry howard murder and the Piketon murders.

Now i better go do something.

I wake up thinking about this family and going straight here to see if there any leads to who could have done this brutal thing on these people. I think 90% of the things that are posted here, are just people pulling at straws. I know that everyone is trying to help out but truth will come out eventually. I really don't seem the Rhoden's to be a bad family group to me, they really seem like the typical redneck neighbors. Something happened and they had no clue that it was coming to this, NO WAY IN H$LL would a parent put their kids in such a danger. JMO

It depends on the type of bullet as well. People who own large caliber guns tend to use hollow point bullets. Because they expand in the body on impact, there is less chance for over-penetration. That's an important feature. If you're shooting someone in your home in self-defense, or if a cop is shooting a criminal, you want to minimize the chances that the bullet(s) will exit the body and possibly strike a bystander.

A large caliber will general 'get the job done' better than a smaller caliber. But, a smaller caliber can be sufficient at close range with a subdued victim. A shot to the head from a .22 would be sufficient to kill Kenneth -- assuming what Donald stated to be true -- because he probably was shot a point blank range while asleep. The others? Well, that could be another story. The number of shots suffered by the other victims could be down to a small caliber firearm, or it could be that the shooter or shooters were not proficient with aim. There are people who have died from a single shot from a small caliber gun, as well as people who lived after taking multiple shots from a large caliber.

Didn't LE use the word shotgun wounds at one time?

ETA: That must have been a generalized term at first. I saw it somewhere but what's been described doesn't sound "shotgun" at all.

snippets

An incident report released to The Enquirer Wednesday paints a bloody scene at at one trailer where deputies were called. They were first called to 4077 Union Hill Road at 7:51 a.m., according to the report, but were flagged down at a neighboring residence by a person saying there were two bodies there.

When deputies went inside 4077 Union Hill Road, the report said deputies noticed “a large amount of blood on the living room floor," and two dead men in a back bedroom lying “in close proximity of each other.” Deputies did not find anyone else in that trailer.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/04/27/discovery-family-massacre/83594762/

Family members have said that Bobby Jo Manley found Chris Rhoden Sr., 40, and his cousin, Gary Rhoden, 38, in one trailer. She also found the bodies of Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden, 20, and his girlfriend, Hannah Gilley, also 20.

Family members said James Manley found his sister Dana Rhoden, 37, dead in a trailer about 1 1/2 miles away, also on Union Hill Road. Leonard Manley, Dana Rhoden's father, said his daughter shared the trailer with her two youngest children, Hanna Rhoden, 19, and Chris Rhoden Jr., 16. Hanna Rhoden had just given birth to her second daughter five days before the killings.

If she worked for Chris...dog and chicken feeding...why would she walk into Frankie and Hannah's trailer at 7am???? JMO

She went into Chris' first, and probably thought it was odd they weren't outside. JMO Kenneth gets up at 5:30am, according to DS. As of right now we don't know what might've alerted her, but we know the dogs weren't there, and she feeds them. Maybe she knocked and no answer at the door, so she opened it to see what was wrong.

I'll bet the neighboring resident that flagged officers were Leonard or Bobby since they live only a half mile away and I think her name was redacted.

If toddlers are heard in Bobby's 911 call, to me that means that she entered Frankies trailer BEFORE she entered Chris's. She doesn't have to tell ME that, but she should have told LE that so that they didn't harass her at 3am the next night, because her story didn't add up. Also, if she worked for Chris, why would she enter Frankies trailer at 7am at all??? All I can think is maybe as she said, the dogs were "missing" and she may have been checking to ask Frankie where they were, discovered him dead, and used her key to enter Chris's?????JMO

This probably sounds crazy but I wonder if the perps left some type of message/threat for LE at one of the crime scenes.

It's cases like this I wish that the astrology board was still open here at Websleuths.

So here is where my head is this morning in reference to the 911 call and BJM. (Disclosure : I have only had minimal coffee)

What if BJM went in the house saw the blood and then backed out. Instead of calling 911 right away she called her dad to come look with her ?
That would explain her time gap and also someone being there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can understand the time gap, I can understand her calling her dad first especially if it was obvious they were dead.

What I don't understand:

I think she knew at least about Frankie sand Hannah and Chris and Gary when she called but didn't tell about all four.

I think cops figured out she knew about at least four, and went in. Hopefully she had the children out.

Also the time of death.. That could be very narrow with some of them if Dana being on social media pretty late, is true. Bobby could have literally come up on the scene a very short time after they left.

Again, the BCI questioned the person that discovered the bodies, a relative and then the local police came back and were very aggressive with questioning her at 3 am. Unless they really thought there was something major, that is just mean to do to a family member and family that has just gone through that. BCI has been heading up the investigation from the beginning, I can't imagine they would say go out and question her like this just because they wanted more info.

The reports they have released are reflecting what we were told the first day and what they released seems to be different because they likely weren't told everything.

They aren't addressing those differences for whatever reason, but we have seen with this DA it isn't odd he doesn't address some discrepancy.

I think if Bobby had told them about 4 it would have brought about a bigger response quicker.

I also have to wonder, if they know all these relatives are dead 1/2 a mile from them, why aren't they worried about their safety? I would be very worried about the safety of anyone anywhere and especially if we were hanging around the area waiting on cops.

I also think some of the time between and why Bobby was there every day was her involved with the grow operations and she was trying to minimize her involvement.

Now if she didn't get the kids out of the trailer, that's other questions I have. But the main question I have is why didn't she tell about 4 and my theory is, the cops had that question too, because they realized during the early investigation that morning and day, that she knew and didn't get there immediately and find Chris and call and she told them she did.

They won't know time of death immediately, but they can have an idea if something happened in the last hour or it was 5 hours before.

Like I said, if it was true that Dana was on social media until 2:50 am and Bobby got there at 7 am, that is a pretty tiny window and at least the people in Dana's couldn't have been dead long.

Like I said, all this makes the second questioning at 3 AM make sense and I could see Bobby totally uninvolved but making herself look suspicious for what ends up being logical reasons and the DA not addressing the issues here for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supersnooper001