OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members of the Manley family wear blaze orange T-shirts with photos of Rhodens. #PikeCounty #cgnow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the visitation is well monitored. I see that as a place for grief and anger to boil right on over.

I would imagine it will be VERY well monitored. I'd also think it's likely that LE will use the time during the visitations & during the actual funerals to possibly conduct more searches while everyone's attention is focused elsewhere.

What did you read that made you think all would be open?

From the chrisgraves article I posted earlier

WEST PORTSMOUTH – Scott Davis will fuss over them, one by one, before the Rhoden family arrives.

He will straighten a tie, push a stray hair away from a face, adjust hands. He will run a lint roller over the clothing one last time. Then he will pat the chest, ever so gently. And move on to the next casket.

And the next. And the next.

Davis and his wife, Leichia, have spent nearly a week with six of the eight victims of the Rhoden family slaying. It is their job to make sure the living are able to grieve and say goodbye before the bodies are lowered into graves just seven miles down the road.

"I will look at every detail, from head to toe; from socks to boots to shoes,'' he says at the Roger W. Davis Funeral Home, which his dad started 52 years ago here in West Portsmouth.

"The last time they saw them, they were alive," Davis says. "We can't make them look like that. But we can, and we will, make them look as nice as possible."

http://http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/crime-law/how-mexican-drug-cartels-move-heroin-to-miami-vall/nmmXs/

Yep.

Definition of a cartel according to My Dayton Daily News:

"Cartel: A criminal enterprise developed to control drug trafficking. Can be loosely managed arrangements among various drug traffickers to highly formalized agreements."

http://http://www.mydaytondailynews...drug-cartels-move-heroin-to-miami-vall/nmmXs/
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/ne...drug-cartels-move-heroin-to-miami-vall/nmmXs/

And just for the record, I think this whole thing is a tragedy. My heart breaks for those families and friends.

Nobody wants to believe this kind of activity goes on in their communities, right under everyone's noses. But in fact, that's exactly how it happens. Most people suspect people who look different from them, when it could very well be the nice family next door.

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves 4h4 hours ago

Funeral director: 'I thought I had seen everything' http://cin.ci/26KwO2l via @enquirer Keep them in your thoughts. #PikeCounty #cgnow

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves 27m27 minutes ago West Portsmouth, OH

About 12 sheriff patrol cars here, uniformed officers all around visitation. Family greet folks inside. #PikeCounty

View attachment 93575

If people think the family deserved what happened to them that photo should blaze in their head. It's the reality of how horrible and evil those murderers are.
Yeah, it's truly heartbreaking, no matter what the family was involved in. I imagine that for the remaining loved ones, the enormity of the loss is just beginning to set in. :(

We don't even know if anyone of these victims were on assistance. My guess would be no. They didn't want anyone snooping around in their business.

Family is the most important to people there and in Ky, families married to other family names. They're not going to kill any of their family. I keep thinking about where Chris, Gary, Frankie and Chris Jr worked at the campgrounds. Remember the article from 2012 the big drug bust of pot plants by a number of different agencies in rural Pike County? The Mexican workers were brought in and lived in camps on property, they were taken in and out, they all left right before the drug bust.

They were connected to the cartel, another big Mexican dealer was arrested and he had connections to Chappo. I can't find the article right now, I posted it at the beginning of these threads. Workers living in different area campgrounds wouldn't be out of the question, looking like regular day laborers as opposed to living on property where it was more obvious it was a drug operation. It would be easy to spot with helicopters overhead. Maybe some of them got to know the Rhoden men that lived in the campground.

But that's not how the cartel grows work. We had a very large one just minutes North of my house a few years back. They pick a site in the middle of nowhere. The one in my area was on old power company line. They bring 1/2 dozen or so illegals. They set up camp on site of the grow with supplies they need to live there. The "staff" stay on site, plant the seeds on site, tend to the plants, harvest the plants. Leave. They have an off site overseer who drops them off, brings in supplies as needed and transports them and the weed out at the end. All pretty well self-contained and they avoid any contact with the locals as much as possible.

I can understand being convinced others didn't hear anything. But would the murderer(s) have taken that chance? I say no.
Even if they'd gotten a silencer, it doesn't completely muffle sound, and, to get one leaves a paper trail. It's not something you can just walk up and buy nor would want to ask around for around town, like hey, can I borrow your silencer, imo. The two closest homes were 1/10 of a mile apart, and while that doesn't seem like much, you'd probably not have to worry too much about it in the dead of night. Being within the home would muffle the sound to some degree.

But that's not how the cartel grows work. We had a very large one just minutes North of my house a few years back. They pick a site in the middle of nowhere. The one in my area was on old power company line. They bring 1/2 dozen or so illegals. They set up camp on site of the grow with supplies they need to live there. The "staff" stay on site, plant the seeds on site, tend to the plants, harvest the plants. Leave. They have an off site overseer who drops them off, brings in supplies as needed and transports them and the weed out at the end. All pretty well self-contained and they avoid any contact with the locals as much as possible.
Did they bust them?

The only thing I know about silencers is that machinists get bored at work and come up with everything from knives to sawed off shotguns and silencers. I was amazed.

Even if they'd gotten a silencer, it doesn't completely muffle sound, and, to get one leaves a paper trail. It's not something you can just walk up and buy nor would want to ask around for around town, like hey, can I borrow your silencer, imo. The two closest homes were 1/10 of a mile apart, and while that doesn't seem like much, you'd probably not have to worry too much about it in the dead of night. Being within the home would muffle the sound to some degree.

Folks can make a homemade silencer. There are plenty of how to videos around and most likely anyone who really wanted to could make one without much difficulty or expense.

Did they bust them?

Similar to the Pike County one, they were gone when LE arrived. They are most likely told to scatter if there is a bust, although from what I know or guess, most of the ones onsite are simple illegals being used as labor in exchange to pay their way North. Very low on the org chart and probably have no idea of any of the players above their overseer.

Folks can make a homemade silencer. There are plenty of how to videos around and most likely anyone who really wanted to could make one without much difficulty or expense.
True. But unless you have the right ammo you're not going to get a lot of reduction in sound either way. The homemade ones, self destruct a lot unless you get a machinist to make them so the person would need to have several of them. Idk a lot about silencers, just tossing that out there. Someone said something about a pillow and that just didn't seem like feasible option to me either.

IMO this was business, not personal. And in business it pays to follow the money. And to take a risk this size (killing an entire family), there must have been considerable pay-off, beyond theft of cash on hand. I believe that this was about turf protection--long-term. Anyone else growing in Pike County, and surrounding areas, probably has a pretty good idea who is calling the tune and who to stay in good with.

I agree that this case will come down to the money, but I do think it was about theft of cash (and probably also product) on hand. The thing is, if this was business, it was a terrible business decision. Anyone who has been in business with the Rhodens, or even has illegal business in Pike County at all, is going to be negatively affected by all this LE attention on their actions. With all these anonymous tips flowing in, LE is likely to know every drug dealer in the county by the time it's all said and done. It's hard to imagine how someone could be rational enough to plan out an execution of eight people for turf protection and at the same time think that somehow killing eight people would blow over and wouldn't affect their turf. If it was clear who sent the message, then the killer would know that word would eventually get back to LE that they stood to benefit.

It feels to me like the extent of the killing - going out of their way to kill everyone in the family - was done in order to silence anyone who might have known that a deal was going on. It seems likely that the initial deal was being done between the killers and CR Sr./GR - the killers sprung their trap on those two and tried to get info from them, probably where money or drugs were located. I suspect CR Sr. & GR fought back and refused to give up the location. That is when the killing started. First, Frankie & HG. They still wouldn't talk - then DR, CR Jr. and HR - maybe they had already killed CR Sr./GR by that point, maybe they got the info from DR by threatening her kids. Then they realized they'd gone too far, so they killed everyone in DR's house too, in order to cover their tracks. Then they drive to KR's house - that is where the stash was - they don't need to question him b/c they already know what they are looking for. He gets shot while still sleeping, they grab the stuff and get the cameras that were trained on the hiding spot, which DR or whoever spilled the secret also told them. MOO

The fact that the reward was rescinded and that LE has been so quiet indicates to me this was not a cartel action - if LE was worried their killers were already out of state and on their way out of the country, they would have appealed more to the public for help. Given that they are keeping their cards so close to their vest, I think they have a lead on who the perpetrator is and are just waiting for DNA to tighten the noose. The killers eliminated eight people, but in a small town like this, more than those eight were likely to have known who might be doing business with Sr. & GR.

anybody know which twitter accounts are good to follow this case

Typically you will be able to gauge the importance of a criminal defendant in an organization by the funds allocated for his or her defense. If someone who putters about in an old truck and has no visible means of support ends up sitting beside a well groomed barrister in an Armani suit, well, the feds just feel real good about that because they know they tagged someone who matters.

I read it that way too. Maybe he meant just for the families to view. Idk
Quote:"The last time they saw them, they were alive," Davis says. "We can't make them look like that. But we can, and we will, make them look as nice as possible."
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opi...irector-thought-had-seen-everything/83813838/
Might not necessarily be open casket. The family is generally given the option of a viewing in private even with closed casket. Maybe that is what they meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferM2017