OH - Plea for corruption investigation in Ohio to Dept of Justice

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
smokesbiggestfan...

I really like that name! It says "Mess with me and you're playin'with fire!"

Welcome to WS

Susan

SO true...the recent advice to watch carefully for libel is some of the best advice I have received in all these years of searching for help. Encouragement is often received to keep telling my story until that one person hears me that can help me find justice, but never has anyone cautioned me about libel...and I am sure if I were to find myself in court facing a libel suit that I would also find myself quite alone.

When it comes down to the actual battle, formerly interested persons disappear faster than the evidence in our cases.

In a defamation case that seems timely, a famous figure, Howard K. Stern, is suing Rita Crosby for libel to the tune of 60M$. Howard K. Stern chose Lin Wood to handle his lawsuit.

http://www.artharris.com/category/rita-cosby/

I said in my original post that "almost anything is easier to get yourself into than out of". Before the lawsuit against her is settled -- one way or another -- Rita will be receiving a doctorate against those words.

The opposite of "false" is "true". And willful blindness as well as lack of due diligence or failure to investigate or failure to know what should have been known etc., are not legal excuses.

Moreover, I think it is flat out wrong to give others false comfort or, in any way or manner, encourage them to risk a defamation lawsuit. This is even more true for people who are emotionally caught up in a situation. Emotions are the root cause of many, many defamation lawsuits.

If you want to knowingly risk your own lawsuit, fine. But watch what you say to others. First, "do no harm" applies to more than doctors.

Oh, get off your high horse, Wudge :). All I said was you're not correct about having to prove the truth of a statement to defend yourself in a libel suit.

In a couple libel cases I read the plaintiff had to prove that the statements were NOT true.

When I began posting our situation online I decided not to write about anything that I did not have a document to back up, mostly because there are a few citizens in the county who have never had to deal with the local law enforcement and they were quick to call us conspiracy theorists. If I ever ended up in court I have documents for everything that I have ever said...witness statements of deals and cash offered for false testimony to frame the innocent, threats to "shut your mouth and forget what you know" when people came forward with incredible information in cases, eye-witnesses on the road the night of the triple homicide watching authorities outside, go inside, shots ring out, authorities coming back out, etc. I cannot imagine those we accuse wanting to go to court for libel and having those documents viewed by a judge, but they may try and I have to be ready.

We have found new witnesses and accumulated so much information since there was an active investigation (the internet was not available to us at the time of some of these cases). Who would have thought the most difficult part of that effort would be to get an investigating agency to look at it? I cannot risk the opportunity of having this information seen by investigators by ruining it with publishing false statements or making a stupid mistake.

Oh, get off your high horse, Wudge :). All I said was you're not correct about having to prove the truth of a statement to defend yourself in a libel suit.

You stated: "All they have to do is convince a judge or jury that they did not know that it was false."

As such, per you, all Rita Crosby has to do is convince a judge or jury that what she wrote was not known by her to be false. That is absolutely not true.

For a variety of reasons, I wish you would cease posting here on what construes libel/slander/defamation.

I believe Widow has become appropriately cautious. That was what I originally hoped would take place. So I will now move on.

(best wishes and good luck to all)

Wudge, don't go! You have taught me a great lesson. Everything I do on this case now must first meet criteria you have taught me. At least check in on this time to time, I value your lessons.

Much of the testimony against investigators are based on the statements found here
http://triplehomicide.proboards55.com/index.cgi?board=justice&action=display&thread=1170203833
and here
http://triplehomicide.proboards55.com/index.cgi?board=justice&action=display&thread=1172562472

Can anyone comment of the validity of these statements in a court should I ever have to use them in a libel case?

Wudge, in case this is my last chance, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your patient guidance! It always awes me when people give up a bit of their free time to accompany me through this hell I have found myself in, THANK YOU!

From The U.S. Supreme Court, ST. AMANT v. THOMPSON

"These cases are clear that reckless conduct is not measured by whether a reasonably prudent man would have published, or would have investigated before publishing. There must be sufficient evidence to permit the conclusion that the defendant in fact entertained serious doubts as to the truth of his publication. Publishing with such doubts shows reckless disregard for truth or falsity and demonstrates actual malice.

It may be said that such a test puts a premium on ignorance, encourages the irresponsible publisher not to inquire, and permits the issue to be determined by the defendant's testimony that he published the statement in good faith and unaware of its probable falsity. Concededly the reckless disregard standard may permit recovery in fewer situations than would a rule that publishers must satisfy the standard of the reasonable man or the prudent publisher. But New York Times and succeeding cases have emphasized that the stake of the [SIZE=-1] [390 U.S. 727, 732] [/SIZE] people in public business and the conduct of public officials is so great that neither the defense of truth nor the standard of ordinary care would protect against self censorship and thus adequately implement First Amendment policies."

I am glad to hear the courts recognize that public officials need to be held to a high standard and that citizens have a right to question their conduct when necessary. The U.S. government gives authorities incredible power (power enough to perpetrate crimes as they have done in Preble County and have co-workers cover it up from their various positions in the judicial system) and I would think the punishment should be extra severe if they use those powers to harm persons at will.

smokesbiggestfan...

I really like that name! It says "Mess with me and you're playin'with fire!"

Yes I'm a real burst of flame! Been called that many times by one of my teachers from grade 4 on. He'd always sign my yearbook, "to my burst of flame!" or "to a burst of flame, don't change!". He was my orchestra teacher from age 10 on.

However I am a fan of Tony "Smoke" Stewart too! Our personalities are similar--real flame throwers at times.

Widow wrote;
I am glad to hear the courts recognize that public officials need to be held to a high standard and that citizens have a right to question their conduct when necessary. The U.S. government gives authorities incredible power (power enough to perpetrate crimes as they have done in Preble County and have co-workers cover it up from their various positions in the judicial system) and I would think the punishment should be extra severe if they use those powers to harm persons at will.

AMEN to that!!!!!! With malice and aforethought.

I wanted to let everyone know that Danial Slepian from Dateline NBC emailed me yesterday and will possibly be calling today about our cases. Thank you, admin, for providing the link to contact him with cold case stories...

I wanted to let everyone know that Danial Slepian from Dateline NBC emailed me yesterday and will possibly be calling today about our cases. Thank you, admin, for providing the link to contact him with cold case stories...

WOW! That is really great news Widow!

Widow, that is great. I found this that may interest you:

http://www.crimerant.com/?p=419

“I’m really willing to evaluate any e-mails and stories that come in,” Dan said. “But I’m particularly interested in people looking for justice, people who are motivated to find answers to questions they can’t get anyone else to answer, and people who know someone who has committed a crime, but for some reason the suspect hasn’t been apprehended.”
Also of specific interest to Dan are stories of public “cover-ups.”

Widow I hope he investigates throughly. Something needs to be exposed in that damn hell hole! You know whatever I can do to help I'm there. You know how deeply I was and still am effected by the murders of Donnie and Snooze. I still believe my whole case began because of my personal knowledge and alibi of their main suspects. I pray you and all of us get the answers and justice that is deserved. I can still see Donnie and Snooze' smiling faces and don't want this left unsolved.

Wow! I hadn't read this thread before.

To Widow, Tai and others....

Good luck and

God speed justice.

with love from Australia
Sami

Widow, here's sending you the best vibes possible that you are able to get this story to the masses! Best of luck to you!!

Hang in there widow we are going to keep hammering away on this end. I'll do all I can. I want to see those responsible to pay for taking Donnie, Dave and Melinda. They've gotten by with this far too long.:furious:

Widow:

Glad to see you are okay now. GREAT NEWS about Dan Slepian from Dateline!!!! Praying very hard that your voice along with smokesbiggestfan will now will heard and SOMEONE OR SOMEBODY'S WILL PROCEED FORTH ON THIS MATTER.

Keep us posted!!! Can't wait to see this in the newspaper or on TV!!!

JUSTICE TO LOVED ONES!!!!!!!!!

Littledeer wrote;
Widow:

Glad to see you are okay now. GREAT NEWS about Dan Slepian from Dateline!!!! Praying very hard that your voice along with smokesbiggestfan will now will heard and SOMEONE OR SOMEBODY'S WILL PROCEED FORTH ON THIS MATTER.

Keep us posted!!! Can't wait to see this in the newspaper or on TV!!!

Thank you so much Littledeer. We can only hope that they will really delve into this case and solve it. Twenty years unsolved is ridiculous. Time to bring those responsible to justice and those who have covered it up. My family was victimized by them also all because I knew where the person was they wanted to pin it on was all night. It was not unlike the Grisham book The Innocent Man. They wanted to make two people guilty because they were odd. Suffered from mental illness and addictions. Ran their mouth a lot when drunk but not murderers. Just someone to pin it on easily.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathan Dunn
Back