Found Alive OH - Rainn Peterson, 2, North Bloomfield, 2 Oct 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So if her diaper wasn't dirty why did she have such a bad infection from diaper rash? I had assumed it was sepsis from faeces.

I'd say urine, followed by very concentrated urine caused by dehydration would be like acid on young skin. The constant wet, the irritant and chaffing...poor thing. After, any small amount of bacteria could then set in on the abrased skin to cause diaper rash/infection.

Omg thank god you have good neighbors. This is like my biggest fear because my two year old is wild and I was all most expecting this at some point. I ended up putting chain locks at the top of my door so my mind could rest. I'm a hard sleeper and my fear is he won't wake me up and go out some night.
I seen an article a few years back of a boy who was 2-3 staying the night at grandmas and went out at 3am alone and froze to death. The apartment had security locks so he couldn't get back in even if he wanted to. I live in WI my son wouldn't last a night. From that day on this has been my biggest fear. Thank god your little one was all right.

When my middle child was 2 I had to go to the bathroom.
We had chain locks on all the doors because she had escaped once before.
When I came out of the bathroom there was a chair by the back door and the chain lock was undone.
It took about 15 minutes or so to find her and I was getting ready to call 911 when I did.
It is amazing how quickly they can move. :twocents:

Just a little note with regard to the absence of a dirty diaper: At a similar age, my daughter would go days and days without a #2. At her worst it was once over a week! Not normal maybe, but certainly quite common for a child of 2 to pass a few days without a soiled diaper. And then having no fluids while lost, plus then when she was found she was diagnosed as very dehydrated, Rainn's diaper may have been less wet than we would expect.

Sorry, if somebody has already mentioned this kind of phenomenon upthread... :)

Yep...my kid can go a few days between BMs as well. So that, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily raise any red flags for me.

As someone else mentioned, I am also curious about the brand diaper she was wearing...if it was the same as the ones the grandparents used.

When my middle child was 2 I had to go to the bathroom.
We had chain locks on all the doors because she had escaped once before.
When I came out of the bathroom there was a chair by the back door and the chain lock was undone.
It took about 15 minutes or so to find her and I was getting ready to call 911 when I did.
It is amazing how quickly they can move. :twocents:
Some kids are just like that. Its scary. I always hear the horror story of when my parents put up chain locks and while my mom was showering he still exscaped threw a window.
That's how I got the idea about chain locks actually.

I wonder if they did an x-Ray to determine if Rainn was backed up due to constipation or if she just didn't have anything to poop out because she was without food. They could easily see that on a film.

I'm also curious if she eliminated soon after they fed her.

Why is the sheriff even speculating about all this to msm? I mean, I suppose he may be thinking there's something off about Rainn's disappearance but usually LE tries to quash rumors not start them, regardless of whether they are suspicious about the circumstances or not.

Maybe he's just feeling a little defensive about LE's failure to find Rainn even though she was only a half mile from the house so he's putting on a "we'll leave no stone unturned in this investigation" spin. We don't have all the facts so maybe there is more to the story but I don't see much room for some sort of plot.

Why is the sheriff even speculating about all this to msm? I mean, I suppose he may be thinking there's something off about Rainn's disappearance but usually LE tries to quash rumors not start them, regardless of whether they are suspicious about the circumstances or not.

Maybe he's just feeling a little defensive about LE's failure to find Rainn even though she was only a half mile from the house so he's putting on a "we'll leave no stone unturned in this investigation" spin. We don't have all the facts so maybe there is more to the story but I don't see much room for some sort of plot.

I agree. Seems like all the signs point to the kid just taking off.

I've been wondering that too.

Perhaps, they are trying to make someone nervous. Sometimes, LE doesn't exactly know what or who they are looking for, but they know there is something more to a situation. It's possible (IMO) That they want someone out there to know they aren't letting it go.

That and feeling defensive and hoping they find something are the only scenarios I can personally come up with.

This weekend we went out and bought some of these bad boys. My 15 month old is starting to paw at doors. My oldest never once cared about opening doors or cabinets, but I think this little man is going to give us a run for our money. He is tall like a 2 year old and I'm sure he will figure out these locks one day as well, but it will slow him down for now! We will put them up high where only adults can reach. It also makes me feel a little more safe when my husband is out of town. Babies can't get out, strangers can't get in (or babies can't open the doors for strangers).
4db62afe-c0b9-4fae-ab1a-e3936aecf62b_400.jpg

They mention that they want to re-do a polygraph with somebody who didn't do well but didn't necessarily fail. They mention Brandi passed and GGP's have custody...so who does that leave?! Or could it have been one of the GGP's and it is in regards to who saw her last and when she went up the stairs?

This weekend we went out and bought some of these bad boys. My 15 month old is starting to paw at doors. My oldest never once cared about opening doors or cabinets, but I think this little man is going to give us a run for our money. He is tall like a 2 year old and I'm sure he will figure out these locks one day as well, but it will slow him down for now! We will put them up high where only adults can reach. It also makes me feel a little more safe when my husband is out of town. Babies can't get out, strangers can't get in (or babies can't open the doors for strangers).
View attachment 82837

OT: do you worry about fires? We had a house fire in our city about 8 years ago where a child and 2 parents died. The parents were presumably unconscious already and the child died at the back door. They thought it looked like he was trying to get out, but the lock prevented it. I am so scared of these locks now. My husband would like to get some, because my son worries us with his penchant for trying to explore. (We do have a lock that only opens with a key and we keep the key up.)

Thats what I was using until my son managed to pop it off somehow. Works great for my oldest and youngest but my 2 year old popped it off. I really really hope the CPS workers went to walmart, babies r us, or wherever and got all this stuff for the ggp's and made sure it was properly installed, as well as gates if they don't have them. I have faith that they did and faith that the community has been offering assistance behind the scenes. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a local company may have already approached them about installing a fence. I am impressed by the way this community came together for Rainn.

Ps-about the diapers...we use pampers and my husband put my son in the pool with a regular pampers on not thinking to use the swim pull ups right next to the towel (ugh!) well it got soo wet that whatever is used to soak up the urine broke through the protective layer, and when I changed him it almost looked like a gel type beads spilling out of the diaper. His skin was already slightly red and irritated. Left long enough I feel like this would have caused a bad rash basically equivalent to a burn. In serious cases a cream caked Silviden (spelling) is used and this is also used on burns. I am not too concerned with the lack of a BM, unless the doctors specifically mentioned it to LE, like if on an abdominal X-ray her bowels were completely evacuated, or something like that. I hope Rainn is feeling better, sweet little baby.

OT: do you worry about fires? We had a house fire in our city about 8 years ago where a child and 2 parents died. The parents were presumably unconscious already and the child died at the back door. They thought it looked like he was trying to get out, but the lock prevented it. I am so scared of these locks now. My husband would like to get some, because my son worries us with his penchant for trying to explore. (We do have a lock that only opens with a key and we keep the key up.)

Hmm...maybe needs to be something we unlock at night? I don't know. All of our rooms are upstairs and I just bought our first fire ladder and plan to add more. I also need to teach my 5 year old how to push out a screen. I hate that these are things we need to think about!

This is a really good question. That is so sad. I think it comes down to assessing the risk and probability of your child running out of the home at some point, vs the risk and probability of a fire starting and you and your husband both being incapacitated during said fire and unable to assist your child in exiting the home or get to a window if access to doors is impossible. At least thats the framework I would use to come to a decision.

I think it would be a good idea for all parents to take their kids to one of those free events that most fire depts provide where they can sit in a truck, discuss safety in a way thats relatable/age appropriate and get pictures with sparky the dog! You could also get free stickers to put on bedrooms of any children that let's firefighters and other first responders know its a child's room. They would be more than happy to answer any questions and talk to you about their experiences.

Unfortunately, accidents and tragedies happen. It's a sad fact of life and even with the best of intentions as parents and caregivers, tragedy can still strike. In my job I have seen children seriously injured from something entirely preventable if the parents had taken appropriate safety precautions (example: leaving cleaning products in a bottom cabinet thats not baby proofed and toddler drinks cleaning product), to situations where a house was perfectly toddler proofed, parents had another child, had that new monitor in the baby's room that monitors breathing and heartrate, and infant still passed from SIDS. So it's really hard. We can take every precaution necessary but tragedy still strikes. Part of me thinks the baby proofing, nanny cameras, constant watching your child sleep on the app they have for that now, has gotten out of control but what do I know. I only have 4 years of motherhood under my belt so I can only speak to what I have experienced in my personal life with kids 4 and under and what I was exposed to at work and believe me, I am farr from perfect when it comes to parenting, but I was pretty darn good at my job and would have stayed if I didn't have so many moral issues with the system.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice
Back