GUILTY OH - Richard, 84, & Gladis Russell, 85, Bellefontaine, 16 Feb 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Looking at the aerial map, I don't think they found this body in Butler County. I think they found this body in Montgomery County, Ohio.

Vandalia is a suburb North of Dayton, close to where I-70 and I-75 intersects. Do you see the airport on the aerial map? That is the Dayton International Airport.

I'm guessing that where the body was found in Montgomery County has to be at least 40 miles from the rest area on I-75 in Butler County where the Russell's car were last seen.

Yes, you're right about Montgomery County, not Butler. County lines were not terribly clear on Google Earth.

The exact address for the body find is 10100 Frederick Pike, Vandalia, Montgomery County OH, where the blue pushpin appears on the map. So the map is marked correctly; I had the wrong name county. Sorry about that.

And the location (measured with Google Earth's new ruler) remains 5.5 miles from I-75 to Frederick Pike, Vandalia. I do not know which rest stop was used by Littleton; I'm still trying to find that out. Was it one near Piqua?

Swaniee mentioned:

"He left his truck and I feel he didn't even know where he was going when he left his truck, I think everything has been 1 second thinking."

I've been thinking maybe he called the Russell's to pick him up. Perhaps he called and asked them for a ride.

I wonder if the name/cell phone number on the piece of paper were in the Russell's handwriting. Were there any indications he had been on thier property the day they went missing?

Maybe they should be checking locations which aren't very far from his vehicle, too.

Good point. It's never been mentioned if LE is certain SL was at the Russell's. I think you've posed a good question. Maybe he called them and said his truck broke down and asked for a ride. If the phone number written down was in their handwriting, then its certainly a possible scenario and he might not have ever been at their house.

Swaniee mentioned:

"He left his truck and I feel he didn't even know where he was going when he left his truck, I think everything has been 1 second thinking."

I've been thinking maybe he called the Russell's to pick him up. Perhaps he called and asked them for a ride.

I wonder if the name/cell phone number on the piece of paper were in the Russell's handwriting. Were there any indications he had been on thier property the day they went missing?

Maybe they should be checking locations which aren't very far from his vehicle, too.

i hate to ask this..but do you mean checking locations near his truck for the bodies of dick and gladis?

it is hard thinking about this.

According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, the Russells car was last seen at a rest stop in Butler County at the 29 mile marker, right before midnight Thursday. It is not known if the Russells were in the vehicle. Signs throughout the state are still searching for Richard and Gladis Russell. They are believed to be driving a green Mercury Gran Marquis with licence plate number PDG 13E.

Butler Rest Stop is 52 miles from the Piqua Rest Stop at 81.

Butler Rest Stop is 29 miles from Kentucky Border.

I believe mile marker 29 is Route 63, which is a pretty busy route.

Interstate 75 interchanges with Ohio 63 (Exit 29) north of a set of rest areas near the city of Monroe. Ohio 63 (Hamilton Lebanon Road) constitutes an east-west arterial between Ohio 4 (Wright Brothers Memorial Highway) in west Monroe to Interstate 75 at an industrial park area. east of Exit 29, Ohio 63 ventures 6.8 miles to junction U.S. 42 in the Warren County seat of Lebanon. Photo taken 11/13/04.

Good point. It's never been mentioned if LE is certain SL was at the Russell's. I think you've posed a good question. Maybe he called them and said his truck broke down and asked for a ride. If the phone number written down was in their handwriting, then its certainly a possible scenario and he might not have ever been at their house.

True. But I wonder how he got both of them to come. If he said he had a car problem just down the road and needed a ride then why would both of them go to pick him up"?

Besdies, I think he wanted to steal money and even a gun or weapon from their home. So I think he may have gone to their home at some point. Plus the medicine has been taken for Senior, so that tells me they may have gone home to retrieve it. IDK though.

True. But I wonder how he got both of them to come. If he said he had a car problem just down the road and needed a ride then why would both of them go to pick him up"?

Besdies, I think he wanted to steal money and even a gun or weapon from their home. So I think he may have gone to their home at some point. Plus the medicine has been taken for Senior, so that tells me they may have gone home to retrieve it. IDK though.

bbm...i don't see anything out of ordinary if sam called for a ride or whatever and both of the russell's going to pick him up. if sam actually did call for a pick up. he may not have expected or wanted or needed both russell's to come.

It is definitely a plausible scenario.

Richard did leave his walker at home. Not sure how often he needed to use it...all the time, etc. Also would both he and Gladys go to help SL out if he had stated he broke down?

I don't think he would have called them to pick him up. There was no real "personal " relationship with the Russell's. And if he did call, why give your cell #. Sam was not far from their house and they don't live in a city so if he said he "broke down" or whatever on a certain road, they would have been able to find him in a heartbeat. Seeing as Mr Russell had a stroke and used a walker/wheelchair tells me Mrs Russell was the primary driver, If you are going to pick a person up that is only 2 miles from their OWN home, you would just drive them to their own home, why take them back to your place?

According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, the Russells car was last seen at a rest stop in Butler County at the 29 mile marker, right before midnight Thursday. It is not known if the Russells were in the vehicle. Signs throughout the state are still searching for Richard and Gladis Russell. They are believed to be driving a green Mercury Gran Marquis with licence plate number PDG 13E.

Butler Rest Stop is 52 miles from the Piqua Rest Stop at 81.

Butler Rest Stop is 29 miles from Kentucky Border.

I believe mile marker 29 is Route 63, which is a pretty busy route.

Interstate 75 interchanges with Ohio 63 (Exit 29) north of a set of rest areas near the city of Monroe. Ohio 63 (Hamilton Lebanon Road) constitutes an east-west arterial between Ohio 4 (Wright Brothers Memorial Highway) in west Monroe to Interstate 75 at an industrial park area. east of Exit 29, Ohio 63 ventures 6.8 miles to junction U.S. 42 in the Warren County seat of Lebanon. Photo taken 11/13/04.

Thanks for all the great information you've been providing, Whatever1. I really appreciate it. Good job!

There was no real "personal " relationship with the Russell's.

Actually, there could've been a personal relationship with them. He rented his house from them for years before purchasing it. I've become friends with my current landlord, and would trust him and call on him if I needed something. It's not far fetched to say he may have had a bit of a friendship with them as well.

I also believe I heard somewhere that he mowed their yard for them? Not sure if that's true or not.

I don't think he would have called them to pick him up. There was no real "personal " relationship with the Russell's. And if he did call, why give your cell #. Sam was not far from their house and they don't live in a city so if he said he "broke down" or whatever on a certain road, they would have been able to find him in a heartbeat. Seeing as Mr Russell had a stroke and used a walker/wheelchair tells me Mrs Russell was the primary driver, If you are going to pick a person up that is only 2 miles from their OWN home, you would just drive them to their own home, why take them back to your place?

the phone records will say one way or the other if sam called the russell's or not. the note found in the russell's house with the name sam and sam's cell phone number on it comes into play somehow.

I thought about that. IDK...perhaps Mr. Russell doesn't drive because of his past stroke and he wouldn't let Mrs. Russell go alone. Who knows at this point. It's all speculation. Very worrisome.

It is definitely a plausible scenario.

Richard did leave his walker at home. Not sure how often he needed to use it...all the time, etc. Also would both he and Gladys go to help SL out if he had stated he broke down?

and take medication and possibly the dog as well?????

Actually, there could've been a personal relationship with them. He rented his house from them for years before purchasing it. I've become friends with my current landlord, and would trust him and call on him if I needed something. It's not far fetched to say he may have had a bit of a friendship with them as well.

I also believe I heard somewhere that he mowed their yard for them? Not sure if that's true or not.

i'm deleting my post which says dick did work on sam and deb's house becuase i must have been dreaming it. i thought i read it earlier today but didn't find a link.

Ok...if he left the Russell's he could have headed north and got onto i75 around Lima, Ohio (I doubt this) rest stop at 114....kept going south...eventually passing rest area 81....if he kept going south...he would hit Vandalia....yes, there is the Dayton airport off of Vandalia....right from the map you have been showing.....it would have then been quite someways before he hit another rest stop...

The problem is they lived in Logan County...he could have jumped on 33....before crossing back over to get to 75...he could have taken several backroads before he hit the highway....this also explains why he isn't too bright...he could have probably hit country roads forever to get out of Ohio...why would he get on 75....I guess I would have to know which rest area he stopped at...if it was before the kentucky border he could have taken back roads all the way down to southern ohio, but maybe needed to get back onto the highway in Kentucky b/c less familair with the roads....

He might have stayed away from 33 b/c close to where truck was found...he may have headed north west to get to 75, only to turn around and go south on 75 to try to keep his tracks from being followed...

Question is...why 75..why the rest stop

I've probably made no sense to someone who is unfamiliar with these roads...I'm sorry

One possibility here is that if he wanted to get on I-75 quickly, he took the back roads from the Bellefontaine area to get to Sidney. He can get on I-75 at Sidney.

About the rest area on I-75 Southbound in Butler County. That is the last rest stop in Ohio until you reach the welcome center rest area on I-75 Southbound in Kentucky.

Also, in the Cincinnati area, most bridges that cross the Ohio River are interstate freeway bridges (I-71, I-75, I-275, I-471).

The suspension bridge between Cincinnati, Ohio and Covington, Kentucky is the only bridge in the Cincinnati area that I know of that is not a freeway bridge that carries local traffic.

I say he had to take the interstate to cross the Ohio River in the Cincinnati area. After he crossed the Ohio River, he probably got on the backroads in Kentucky.

One possibility here is that if he wanted to get on I-75 quickly, he took the back roads from the Bellefontaine area to get to Sidney. He can get on I-75 at Sidney.

About the rest area on I-75 Southbound in Butler County. That is the last rest stop in Ohio until you reach the welcome center rest area on I-75 Southbound in Kentucky.

Also, in the Cincinnati area, most bridges that cross the Ohio River are interstate freeway bridges (I-71, I-75, I-275, I-471).

The suspension bridge between Cincinnati, Ohio and Covington, Kentucky is the only bridge in the Cincinnati area that I know of that is not a freeway bridge that carries local traffic.

I say he had to take the interstate to cross the Ohio River in the Cincinnati area. After he crossed the Ohio River, he probably got on the backroads in Kentucky.

Yes, he could take backroads and go through Sidney to I75, also backroads to 36 which would take you to Piqua and I75, also, backroads to 41 and that would take you to I75. He could have taken backroads from Bellefontaine all the way down to Butler. God only knows what desolate areas he could have gone through if he took backroads to get further south. Scary....they are so many places he could have dumped (I hate to say that) their bodies in rural Ohio.

I agree...and I've traveled backroads from W. Virginia to Cincinnati due to getting lost coming home from Virginia. What a way out of the ways, but there's nothing around.

Deborlee...

Can you help me out with what rest area they called the plates? Are we sure it was a rest area on 75 or just a rest area in Butler County...if it's 75...there's only one left after the piqua/troy rest area

Hi whatever,
It's the only rest area I could fund in Butler county right off of I-75. I'm not too good with maps but I bet he took the back roads till he got close to Springfield or Dayton area. If the rumor I heard is right, he possibly lived near DeGraff and or Quincy at one time. The rte I am looking at passes thru those towns. I'll try to post a map....wish me luck!

They had known each other several years, that could qualify as a personal relationship.

They may have had caller ID and written the number down when he called them.

If they went to pick him up, I don't think they would have taken him to their house. But I do think it's possible he forced them to do so at that point. So that he could steal the car and whatever else he wanted.

It is who's handwriting the phone number was in that I wonder about...

I also especially wonder, would Richard have left the house without his walker? Or would he take it even just to walk to the car?

If he would take it no matter what, that is a good indication he didn't leave willingly.

I can't figure out how to embed the map I made.

Anyway, the ex of SL thinks he might be in rural WV? I can't imagine SL took 75,( which we know he did at least in Butler County) to go to WV. Maybe there was another reason we don't know yet, or he went to Tennessee as suggested earlier.

bbm...i don't see anything out of ordinary if sam called for a ride or whatever and both of the russell's going to pick him up. if sam actually did call for a pick up. he may not have expected or wanted or needed both russell's to come.

I think he needed them both to come because if one stayed home they would be worried within an hour or two about the other ojne.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymousangel444
Back