OH - Serial Killings in Stark County *ARREST in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Minor crisis averted.... My iPad charger started smoking and I nearly lost it but I have 3 other chargers so phew I can still check websleuths every 15 mins!!!!!!

Thank god my BF is an engineer because I wanted to call the fire department. He said I was over-reacting lol.

Minor crisis averted.... My iPad charger started smoking and I nearly lost it but I have 3 other chargers so phew I can still check websleuths every 15 mins!!!!!!

Thank god my BF is an engineer because I wanted to call the fire department. He said I was over-reacting lol.

HeeHee :D

I dont have a genealogy website subscription but I am trying to do this backwards and search some of the databases by Graves ... still not having much luck ... any ideas.

Min, is it possible to just write a short list of the things you are looking for? Im a bit lost on what to search for now with the thread getting larger.
Thanks.

Found a couple of Dorothy Morrises in surrounding counties.. death of date listed as 1986, but none in Canton. No idea of the cause of death. Also started on Dortha and Dorotha but computer shut down, lol. Guess it was needed a break.

HeeHee :D

I dont have a genealogy website subscription but I am trying to do this backwards and search some of the databases by Graves ... still not having much luck ... any ideas.

Min, is it possible to just write a short list of the things you are looking for? Im a bit lost on what to search for now with the thread getting larger.
Thanks.

I'm sorry. It's hard to put into words what exactly I'm looking for. I started this thread simply because my family is seeking closure in the murders from the 80's that LE is positive was my FIL. I would also like to eventually find closure for the victims' families. I also wanted this information out there simply because for some reason it seems that this is all being covered up and hushed up. Imagine if you found out that your next door neighbor had murdered 3 women brutally and may be responsible for even more murders but nobody was doing anything about it. I imagine you would try to do whatever you could to make sure that not only was justice served but that your community was safe. That's what I want. I felt this was a good place to go to because everyone here seems so anxious to see justice served and are so compassionate about victims of any crime.

I've learned since coming here the names of 2 of the victims (though Dottie seems to have no info). I didn't have that info before. I know that many members here have resources that I don't have access to and that's wonderful and has truly helped! Who knows? Perhaps a family member will see this and it will give them some sense of satisfaction just knowing there are people who care this many years later. Perhaps another family will be able to match a loved one's death to my FIL's MO and that will help give some kind of lead.

Unfortunately, there's just no short list I can provide other than what I initially posted about it.

Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time forum reader and newly active member. This post and thread has been quite interesting, so I decided to join in the research effort and dig through Akron's newspaper archives. While I did not find any additional information on the Fulton Ave victim, I came across more recent homicides that also fit the suspect's MO. All the links are unfortunately paid-subscription, so I've provided a very brief synopsis of each. I've cross-checked all the names with Ohio's Unsolved Homicides database and none of the victims are listed. (That said, I couldn't find anything to suggest that any of these cases were actually solved.)

Feb 3, 2000 - Betty Mosley (56)
Discovered in the bedroom of her home on Burbank Ave. No official COD provided.

Oct 4, 2000 - Dorothy Jean Grant (79)
The decomposed body was discovered by her brother in her Mount View Ave home. Akron PD declined to comment on COD.

Oct 5, 2001 - Jean Zienka (45)
Found in her home on Akers Ave. Evidence of manual strangulation, but no further details released.

Jul 17, 2003 - Sharon Litchfield (59)
Found in her Merton Ave home. Akron PD stated that it was an obvious homicide, but did not release any further details.

Nov 27, 2006 - Dorothy Jervis (70)
Body discovered in her apartment on Coulter Street after firefighters responded to a small fire. No COD released, but Akron PD stated that the death was not related to the fire.

Needless to say, these may be totally unrelated, but generally speaking, the ages, race, and locations seem to suggest a possible link.

~mjga

Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time forum reader and newly active member. This post and thread has been quite interesting, so I decided to join in the research effort and dig through Akron's newspaper archives. While I did not find any additional information on the Fulton Ave victim, I came across more recent homicides that also fit the suspect's MO. All the links are unfortunately paid-subscription, so I've provided a very brief synopsis of each. I've cross-checked all the names with Ohio's Unsolved Homicides database and none of the victims are listed. (That said, I couldn't find anything to suggest that any of these cases were actually solved.)

Feb 3, 2000 - Betty Mosley (56)
Discovered in the bedroom of her home on Burbank Ave. No official COD provided.

Oct 4, 2000 - Dorothy Jean Grant (79)
The decomposed body was discovered by her brother in her Mount View Ave home. Akron PD declined to comment on COD.

Oct 5, 2001 - Jean Zienka (45)
Found in her home on Akers Ave. Evidence of manual strangulation, but no further details released.

Jul 17, 2003 - Sharon Litchfield (59)
Found in her Merton Ave home. Akron PD stated that it was an obvious homicide, but did not release any further details.

Nov 27, 2006 - Dorothy Jervis (70)
Body discovered in her apartment on Coulter Street after firefighters responded to a small fire. No COD released, but Akron PD stated that the death was not related to the fire.

Needless to say, these may be totally unrelated, but generally speaking, the ages, race, and locations seem to suggest a possible link.

~mjga

Thanks so much and welcome to the thread! I can only speak for myself, but I so appreciate the help. The list is very interesting. I have searched everything imaginable, but haven't had much luck with newspaper archives. Once again thank you.

Thanks for the welcome! To say the least, it's concerning to me that there generally seems to be very little media coverage about violent crimes in Stark County. For example, I couldn't find ANY info on most of the African-American victims listed as unsolved homicides. Given that there's approximately 1,332 names in the database (and likely many more sitting in police department filing cabinets across the state), one would think that crime reporters would want to be more involved in raising the public's awareness.

BTW, I've decided to expand the search into records from the late 1980s through 1999, and will also see what comes up for Pennsylvania.

~mjga

Thank you, mjga! Any research helps! I can say however that any murders between 98 and 2003 wouldn't be him simply because he was in prison during that time for felony assault.

I know that this has been very frustrating to everyone and that I may not seem like a lot of help at this point. I just wanted everyone to know that there is a lot that we are working on that cannot be commented on at this point. So, in no way have we given up. We're just working on trying to find info through those that cannot be named.

Well my search for Dottie has not been successful. I found a Dorothy A....... listed on death records in Canton, but her date of death is listed as April 1, 1986. She was 69, but no idea of the cause or manner of death. Even so, I searched for a Morris, Moore, or somewhat even similar sounding name linked to her, since her name could not be mistaken for Morris, but could not find one. :(

Has James Renner been contacted? I drafted an email to him linking to this forum but won't send it unless MinLynn gives the go-ahead.

Hi Question! I gave the go ahead a while back. I just can't have him using mine or my husband's names or our affiliation to FIL publicly for safety reasons. Other than that you can feel free to contact him. I'd welcome anybody that wants to help!

So I've exhausted the whole Dottie Morris angle.... So I'm going to move back to the other two names. More later

What are the names of the newspapers most local to that area? (or were, in that time frame..)

A murder may not get national coverage, but it'd be pretty weird if it didn't get at least a local mention.

Well my search for Dottie has not been successful. I found a Dorothy A....... listed on death records in Canton, but her date of death is listed as April 1, 1986. She was 69, but no idea of the cause or manner of death. Even so, I searched for a Morris, Moore, or somewhat even similar sounding name linked to her, since her name could not be mistaken for Morris, but could not find one. :(

Anna, that could be her. I wouldn't dismiss it because the date's off by a day or two. Do you have any info other than name and age?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back