OH - Shawn Michael GRATE: 3 bodies found, Ashland/Madison, Sept 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Gardener...I'll add the new info...I saw a couple of these in my surfing but as there seems to be a second and possibly a third "Shawn Grate", I was erring on the side of caution :)
Thanks for doing a map eucalyptuz! :loveyou:

I'm playing catch up this afternoon and still reading. (The 911 call was chilling. What a brave young woman.) Has anyone come across vehicle description(s) associated with Grate?

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com.../?hootPostID=f2a61c726c143790626bfe2332beff2b

From Above Link :
Jeana Stanley said officials in Huron and Ashland counties did not seem to take her sister's disappearance seriously. She said she suspected they may have jumped to false conclusions about her because of past drug problems.

I think that SS having past drug issues is relevant. I wonder if she knew him ? We know he has a past with drugs and it's been reported he offered someone pills recently? Did SS reach out to him for help with that flat tire?

Is there a common thread with victims and drug use?
Was SG EVER in Chillcothe?

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com.../?hootPostID=f2a61c726c143790626bfe2332beff2b

From Above Link :
Jeana Stanley said officials in Huron and Ashland counties did not seem to take her sister's disappearance seriously. She said she suspected they may have jumped to false conclusions about her because of past drug problems.

I think that SS having past drug issues is relevant. I wonder if she knew him ? We know he has a past with drugs and it's been reported he offered someone pills recently? Did SS reach out to him for help with that flat tire?

Is there a common thread with victims and drug use?
Was SG EVER in Chillcothe?

I think her car got a flat tire just a few blocks from his abandoned abduction house. Look for eucalyptuz's map. He could have just been walking by. Someone told SS's family that they saw her talking to a guy that matched his description. IMO, her drug history had nothing to do with it. Several women they interviewed said he tried to get them to come back to the house and they refused or got away. JMO, but I think he escalated when he couldn't get women to go in that house willingly. The woman that escaped the house alive said he had a taser. SS looks petite in the photos I've seen. He could have tasered her and carried her back to the house. Or he could have said he had a phone or a spare tire or something to help her with her car and lured her. At this point we just don't KNOW how she got in that house.

is this based on past serial killers discovered, or some data about currently operating ones? CA had a lot earlier in 60-90 I know. it seems like the Midwest has many uncaught ones. trucker ones.

I always thought it was California or Washington, but according to this list Alaska is in first place. Who knew?

The States With The Most Serial Murder

Top 10:
Oklahoma, Utah, Texas, Louisiana, Oregon, Washington, California, Florida, Nevada, Alaska.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/10/30/the-states-with-the-most-serial-murder/

I'm playing catch up this afternoon and still reading. (The 911 call was chilling. What a brave young woman.) Has anyone come across vehicle description(s) associated with Grate?
I don't know if this is permissible sleuthing, but there are vehicles visible in Google street view for the 132 W 2nd St, Mansfield address that may coincide with the time he lived at the property. The plates are blurred but if you are looking for generic descriptions it might be worth taking a look?

Updated case map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nXxnjOi0XjNTx-iMjXL6szx9WDM&usp=sharing

I think her car got a flat tire just a few blocks from his abandoned abduction house. Look for eucalyptuz's map. He could have just been walking by. Someone told SS's family that they saw her talking to a guy that matched his description. IMO, her drug history had nothing to do with it. Several women they interviewed said he tried to get them to come back to the house and they refused or got away. JMO, but I think he escalated when he couldn't get women to go in that house willingly. The woman that escaped the house alive said he had a taser. SS looks petite in the photos I've seen. He could have tasered her and carried her back to the house. Or he could have said he had a phone or a spare tire or something to help her with her car and lured her. At this point we just don't KNOW how she got in that house.

I can't find it now, but I read yesterday on a local news article that she was seen at the BP station with the flat tire, and a man was helping her change it. LE was said to be reviewing surveillance video at the store. Of course, this was before they announced she was deceased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going off the fact that the victim that escaped knew him. She was walking with him from her apartment.

It seems unlikely that SG tasered SS and then carried her. The escaped victim said he had no car that she knows (maybe at another house she says in the 911 call).
It also seems unlikely to me that SS who by all accounts I've seen was a pretty tough savvy woman would just go to his house to use a phone or grab a spare tire. It seems like SS had a lot of friends / family in that area that she would have reached out to before she just went off with a random man.

I'm really curious as to why the videos from the gas station haven't been examined? That would definitely be useful.

Also, we have three bodies. One identified as SS . One other possible missing woman (Elizabeth Griffith)
Are there any reports of a third woman missing in the area?

0.3 miles from BP station to the house on Covert Ct., where he was arrested. It makes sense to me that he would have dropped the car off on 8th street after killing her....but who knows.

0ab2e7c7c254a0287263c221519450f5.jpg

I'm going off the fact that the victim that escaped knew him. She was walking with him from her apartment.

It seems unlikely that SG tasered SS and then carried her. The escaped victim said he had no car that she knows (maybe at another house she says in the 911 call).
It also seems unlikely to me that SS who by all accounts I've seen was a pretty tough savvy woman would just go to his house to use a phone or grab a spare tire. It seems like SS had a lot of friends / family in that area that she would have reached out to before she just went off with a random man.

I'm really curious as to why the videos from the gas station haven't been examined? That would definitely be useful.

Also, we have three bodies. One identified as SS . One other possible missing woman (Elizabeth Griffith)
Are there any reports of a third woman missing in the area?

Regardless of whether SS knew him or not, or has a history of drug use or not, she didn't deserve to die in that house. Her family said it was uncharacteristic for her to not come home. We don't know how she died yet but I'm willing to bet he held her captive/wouldn't let her leave just like the rescued woman reported. JMO.

On the first couple pages of this thread we posted a few missing women from June and before but I really didn't find many that were super close to the area like Stacey and Elizabeth. That was before we knew all his address history though. Now we can use the map to look for missing women that may have known him from his hometown and were lured to the burned out house.

Regardless of whether SS knew him or not, or has a history of drug use or not, she didn't deserve to die in that house. Her family said it was uncharacteristic for her to not come home. We don't know how she died yet but I'm willing to bet he held her captive/wouldn't let her leave just like the rescued woman reported. JMO.

On the first couple pages of this thread we posted a few missing women from June and before but I really didn't find many that were super close to the area like Stacey and Elizabeth. That was before we knew all his address history though. Now we can use the map to look for missing women that may have known him from his hometown and were lured to the burned out house.

Of course she didn't deserve to die in that house....... ? ? I only said I felt her drug history may be relevant in determining how she ended up there, if she knew him, maybe who the other victim is, if there is chance there are more victims .... and further if there is a potential link to what happened in Chillcothe (as all of those victims had drug abuse histories).

is this based on past serial killers discovered, or some data about currently operating ones? CA had a lot earlier in 60-90 I know. it seems like the Midwest has many uncaught ones. trucker ones.

To identify the 10 states with the most serial killings, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the highest numbers of serial killer victims, adjusted for population, from the Serial Killer Database, produced through a partnership of Radford University and the Florida Gulf Coast University. The database has compiled documented victims of serial killers since 1900 through September of 2014. Characteristics of the victims, including sex, age, and race, as well characteristics of the killers, including motive and decade of activity, also came from the database.

To adjust for historical population levels, we calculated the rate of serial murders per 1 million residents for each decade from 1900 through 2010 using the state’s (or territory’s) population at the end of each decade.
http://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/10/30/the-states-with-the-most-serial-murder/

Of course she didn't deserve to die in that house....... ? ? I only said I felt her drug history may be relevant in determining how she ended up there, if she knew him, maybe who the other victim is, if there is chance there are more victims .... and further if there is a potential link to what happened in Chillcothe (as all of those victims had drug abuse histories).

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. I see where you are going now. We have to tread carefully to not sound like we are blaming the victim. I apologize. I think the police will figure all that out.

I know from FB snooping that they were both in recovery at some point(s), and there's only 1 NA group in Ashland. They could have even met there.

LE Says No Connection to Chillicothe yet:
Chief Deputy T.J. Hollis, of the Ross County Sheriff's Office, heads the local Missing Women Task Force and said no link between the two cases has been found as of yet, but he's working with state Bureau of Criminal Investigation agents to find any connections.

"There's no connection that we're aware of," said Hollis. "We have several BCI agents on the (Missing Women) Task Force and they have access to the profiles of our missing women, so if there's a connection we will know quickly."
Read more: http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...d-county-murder-chillicothe-missing/90360668/

Here is the 1027 address. It's more populated than what I would have thought but, with lots of woods behind the home.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1027ParkAveEast.jpg
    1027ParkAveEast.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 1027Parkaveeast2.jpg
    1027Parkaveeast2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 308
https://www.facebook.com/shawn.grate.56 (pretty sure facebook of the accused is allowed, if not mods please remove; confirmed by home town and high school)

Two things I noted from this page

1. He moves around the area between Ashland and Columbus, Ohio. I really hope police are checking into if he's ever spent time in Chillcothe. AND / OR if any of these missing/deceased women know any of the others that went missing there. Chillcothe is a 2 hour straight shot down I71 and there are six unresolved missing women / murder cases there.

2. There seems to be a VERY disproportionate number of young and beautiful long haired women on his friends list.

He's very close to the lines of three states too. Not as close to PA but IN and MI lines are only a couple hours.

A few things (disjointed, insomniac thoughts really):

- I have been unable to find a likely match in local MP reports for the June murder (for the remains at the second crime scene in Richland county). A couple of MSM sources said this afternoon that police already had an idea who it is so I take that to mean that during the time she was co-squatting at the Park Ave E with SG there were witnesses to remember her being around and that perhaps she is known to police. I think she may have also been long-term homeless which is why there's no MP report. It is sad to imagine just how many vulnerable people he would have meet in the last few months (and perhaps earlier), stalking the streets at night, squatting in vacant buildings along side defenseless people looking for shelter and also using drugs to entice and disarm victims.

-When SG ran from police in June he was wearing no shoes and somehow managed to out-run the officers. High and immune to pain? The bare feet lead me to believe that his life had really spiraled out of his control...I think even the most desperate homeless people try to keep themselves in shoes even if ill-fitting.

-SG's facebook profile is just so very deceptive as it's hard to reconcile the folksy homemade wooden signs and words of congratulations from friends on landing a new job with his criminal violent past and psychopathic present-day. Like many have said here, I would not have guessed it from appearances alone.

-The first crime scene on Covert Ct seems so isolated that I think even victims putting up a struggle would not be heard...at least at night after the laundromat closed...and I guess the same applies to any odor from the two bodies?!? Who knows how long he could have kept this up - and on this point I think the grieving relatives of Stacey can take some comfort knowing that their actions and persistent searches probably saved at least one or more lives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields
Back