Found Deceased OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
do u have a link stating he was detained immediately at 3 am the 20th I just haven't seen that yet and would like to read. Much appreciated.

Police arrived at Worley's door at 3AM as part of the 5 mile radius canvas. They have just left the scene where the bicycle of a young woman was found. Nearby there is a bloody motorcycle helmet with a hand/palm print in the blood, a screwdriver, fuses, evidence of a struggle, a sock, and sunglasses.

He tells them, during the canvas, that his motorcycle broke down by the side of the road, he lost a motorcycle helmet, fuses, a screwdriver, and sunglasses, but there were two bicycles and his fingerprints might be on one of the bikes. He then volunteers that he did not steal anything or kill anyone.

What are the chances that this man is not immediately detained while search warrants are requested?

I guess I missed reading that he was detained right at 3 am just hours later. I'm looking forward to reading that. Somehow I missed that... Did it say That in the search warrant he was take away then? I'm not sure where I missed reading this. :/ all along I was thinking they didn't have actual custody til Friday. thanks.

I recall reading that he was canvassed at 3AM, and detained at that time.
I put two things together and then concluded that he was detained at about 3:30AM on July 20.
Does that make sense in relation to the search warrant times? That is, was the warrant for the property search not that much later - or was the first warrant for electronic devices?

Which warrant came after the phone warrant?

Sierah was last seen Tuesday evening 6:45pm. Reported missing 11pm Tuesday.

James Worley was not arrested until 3am Friday. Sierah's body was found Friday. So he could have had her Tues night, all day Wednesday, Wednesday night, all day Thursday.

http://www.people.com/article/suspect-arrested-sierah-joughin-disappearance

"James Dean Worley was arrested about 3 a.m. Friday, Fulton County Sheriff Roy Miller said at a news conference later that day. "

Wait, there was a witness who reported to LE that he went into her place of employment the next day (?) Acting non-chalant asking questions about the "missing girl" and conversing about it. I don't think he was arrested til next night

Thank you for the update!

What type of business was it?
Do you have a link?

Sierah was last seen Tuesday evening 6:45pm. Reported missing 11pm Tuesday.

James Worley was not arrested until 3am Friday. Sierah's body was found Friday. So he could have had her Tues night, all day Wednesday, Wednesday night, all day Thursday.

When was he detained versus when was he charged?
In Ohio, how long can a person be detained without charges being filed?

Charges have to be filed before a person is arrested, and we know that charges were filed within 72 hours.
Was he free to do as he pleased after police canvassed his home and learned that he was aware of specific withheld investigative information at an abduction site (e.g.: screwdriver)?

Police arrived at Worley's door at 3AM as part of the 5 mile radius canvas. They have just left the scene where the bicycle of a young woman was found. Nearby there is a bloody motorcycle helmet with a hand/palm print in the blood, a screwdriver, fuses, evidence of a struggle, a sock, and sunglasses.

He tells them, during the canvas, that his motorcycle broke down by the side of the road, he lost a motorcycle helmet, fuses, a screwdriver, and sunglasses, but there were two bicycles and his fingerprints might be on one of the bikes. He then volunteers that he did not steal anything or kill anyone.

What are the chances that this man is not immediately detained while search warrants are requested?

Thankfully, he suffers from a bad case of 'word vomit' when nervous---much like Wesley Hadesell and Mark Redwine.

Detained 3am Friday appeared in court Friday afternoon (in the link) charged with abduction initially.

I do not see any information about when he was detained. From your link:

"James Dean Worley was arrested about 3 a.m. Friday, Fulton County Sheriff Roy Miller said at a news conference later that day."

If there is a 72 hour window between detain and arrest, then charges and arrest on Friday tell us nothing about whether he was detained at 3AM during a canvas of the 5mile radius of her bike.

The fact that there is no solid time in part of the sergeants narrative is making it confusing. He states the time the bike was found on the 19th.....then goes right into talking about questioning JW.....then right into requesting and executing the warrant. All without a solid time.....he mentions that it is 8pm so assuming it is 8pm on the 21st as listed on the warrant. But then that raises the question if LE questioned him early on the 20th, why no arrest until Friday or am I really missing something and I need to sleep?

Detained 3am Friday appeared in court Friday afternoon (in the link) charged with abduction initially.

Thank you for the link! I'm thinking that I got the 3AM time right, and the day wrong.

He must have been detained before charges were filed and he was arrested on Friday.
I'm almost certain that he was detained at the time of canvassing houses within the 5 mile radius.
How many hours after finding Sierah's bicycle did police canvas his house, and find sandwiches in the barn?

I'm happier thinking it was 4 hours.
If it wasn't until the next day, that's an awful lot of time that Worley had with Sierah - when she was possibly alive and incapacitated.

One more thing to chew on. As far as "countless" being written on the CD-R.....taking a stretch just maybe it was a CD-RW and was just designating that it can be burned and erased countless times?? It sounds familiar. The way it is written on the warrant seems like some of the CD label could be factory, and the other markings handwritten???

One more thing to chew on. As far as "countless" being written on the CD-R.....taking a stretch just maybe it was a CD-RW and was just designating that it can be burned and erased countless times?? It sounds familiar. The way it is written on the warrant seems like some of the CD label could be factory, and the other markings handwritten???

Before bigger harddrives, CD rom was used, then CD RW, then DVD, then flash drive.
He had MAXELL camera accessories as well - video tape?

Coming out of lurkdom to say-- IMO based on the info that is out no he was not "detained" until late Thurs nite 7/21 at earliest. I think the verified insider jashrema said something on this on an earlier thread.

Detained basically means not free to leave aka, under arrest. He was booked approx 3am on Fri 7/22. That means he arrived and was processed at jail then. At most he could have been placed under arrest shortly before allowing time to transport. He might have been being questioned at his property for an unreported amount of time right before that. But LE does not detain/arrest someone and let them hang around on their property for hours to days. I agree the documents are unclear as to when the canvass happened, but would bet anything JDW was not in police custody or control until Thurs 7/21 at the earliest.

Welcome to the websleuths forum Mariposa. It is very inspirational that you and so many others from the Ohio community have chose to join us in an effort to seek justice for SJ, and answers in this tragic incident.

Just an FYI: The dots may have not been connected in this case due to jurisdiction linkage blindness; a phrase coined by Dr Steven Egger in the 1970s.. There are only two investigative resources/tools that prevent or combat linkage blindness; an informed aware citizenry & VICAP, imo.. The silent investigative strategy combined with jurisdictional linkage blindness has enabled many sexual predators/serial killers to remain stealth for years or decades undetected while preying on unsuspecting innocent victims, imo...

FBI ViCAP - How it Works
Fighting Violent Crime for over 25 Years
https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/news/stories/2010/august/vicap-anniversary

When serial killers or rapists strike in different communities or even across multiple states, it may be hard to identify and capture them—because information about their crimes is stored separately in the files of various local police agencies.

But for the past 25 years, the FBI’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Program, or ViCAP, has been used by state and local law enforcement across the nation precisely to help find and stop such dangerous villains by drawing links between their seemingly unconnected crimes.

ViCAP serves as the national repository for violent crimes, specifically those involving homicides, sexual assaults, missing persons, and unidentified human remains. The ViCAP Web National Crime Database is not available to the general public or the media—it’s strictly for law enforcement. Its information—obtainable through a secure website since 2008—is protected by strong encryption, controlled access, and strict adherence to federal privacy laws.

ViCAP is part of the FBI’s National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime, and both operate under the auspices of our Critical Incident Response Group.

How it works. Investigators from participating agencies electronically enter in-depth data on their case directly into ViCAP Web. This can include details on the victim(s), type of trauma, weapons used, information about the suspect and any composite images, crime scene specifics, vehicle descriptions, modus operandi, and more.

Investigators can then search ViCAP Web for cases similar to theirs…anywhere in the United States.
<snipped - read more>

In Ohio, a person can be detained for 72 hours without being arrested. (This is true for most states) By the end of the 72 hours, the prosecutor will determine if there is sufficient cause for arrest & prosecution or not. Law enforcement would be gathering evidence during this time, as well.

I do recall a local saying he had gone into a business and asked about her. It was never specified what kind of business.That is way back in an earlier thread.

I don't think it is fair to say that whether a person stopped to help a stranded person or not is a measure of their intelligence.

Am I understanding correctly that LE did a neighborhood canvass at 3 am or did they target him?

Thank you for the link! I'm thinking that I got the 3AM time right, and the day wrong.

He must have been detained before charges were filed and he was arrested on Friday.
I'm almost certain that he was detained at the time of canvassing houses within the 5 mile radius.
How many hours after finding Sierah's bicycle did police canvas his house, and find sandwiches in the barn?

I'm happier thinking it was 4 hours.
If it wasn't until the next day, that's an awful lot of time that Worley had with Sierah - when she was possibly alive and incapacitated.
He was arrested at 3:00am and charged with abduction because there was enough evidence to connect him. Then the further charges were brought forth once they found her.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

i had thought the same thing I read somewhere about 3am the night of abduction but couldn't find it. I was just thinking if it was 3 am it could be possible she could of been in the barn when le first spoke to him at the front door or outside, I'm not sure that was stated, but then he took her after to her final resting place knowing they were on to him and would be back. I don't know and still if that was the case I don't understand why all the evidence when he would of had a feeling the police would be back with a warrant.

Not to mention they saw the bruises on his legs and the scratches on his arms when they visited. I would imagine they kept a close eye on his movements since it was suspicious.

I recall reading that he was canvassed at 3AM, and detained at that time.
I put two things together and then concluded that he was detained at about 3:30AM on July 20.
Does that make sense in relation to the search warrant times? That is, was the warrant for the property search not that much later - or was the first warrant for electronic devices?

Which warrant came after the phone warrant?

I still have the breaking news text alert from my local tv station that came at July 22 at 1130 am staying a suspect had been arrested (not yet named) . He was arrested around 3 am on July 22 . He had the night of the 19th and all through night of July 21 before being detained in the wee hours of the 22nd.

I still have the breaking news text alert from my local tv station that came at July 22 at 1130 am staying a suspect had been arrested (not yet named) . He was arrested around 3 am on July 22 . He had the night of the 19th and all through night of July 21 before being detained in the wee hours of the 22nd.

I presume when they initially questioned him they were very suspicious and had to go through the waiting period to get a probable cause warrant .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper