OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t be here much today, but will post if I find anything new to add.
Tweets today by Lauren Lindstrom, Toledo Blade at https://mobile.twitter.com/lelindstrom

Lauren Lindstrom @lelindstrom ·31
More than 30 excused after they say they have made up their mind on the case and can't be open minded. At least 10 men cite "I have daughters" or something similar as reasoning. By my count we've already lost more than all of yesterday combined

Lauren Lindstrom@lelindstrom ·1h
Judge starts asking about personal/financial reasons why potentials couldn't sit for a three week trial. This happened much later in the day yesterday and it cleared out several people. Sick relatives, loss of income, travel for work, etc. Three weeks is a long time

Lauren Lindstrom
@lelindstrom 1h
I'm watching from the media room, hence why I can tweet this morning. Attorneys, judge, and the defendant just walked in a few minutes ago. We'll hear questions from judge and both sides to determine if potential jurors are able to sit through a trial and can be unbiased

—
Lauren’s article after yesterday includes a short video of Owrley in the courtroom:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2...ah-Joughin-murder-trial-in-Fulton-County.html
Several potential jurors on Monday were dismissed after they responded in the negative when asked by the judge if they can decide the case based on information, evidence, witness testimony, and instructions given in court. Some were dismissed because they knew the victim’s family.
Others were released for family or other financial burdens related to the duration of the case, which could last up to three weeks once testimony begins. Forty-one jurors were dismissed Monday.
The process repeats Tuesday with a second group of 120 jurors who will answer similar questions. Those who make it through the first round will return later in the week for further questioning.

Being local I know a few people who had to report the last 2 days, 1 very close to me. My stomach is in a knot for those jurors and for the family the next month of listening to what they will say. Being a small community I'm sure someone knows someone who was selected or will be in the courtroom. I get why residents can't do it. I hope and pray those selected fully listen and present what is there not what they heard to make it a fair trial so he is one step closer to the death penalty.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

CZL, I am not too far from there and have followed from the beginning. There is no way I could be an impartial juror, and I don’t even know anyone other than a few WS peeps here. :hug:

https://mobile.twitter.com/lelindstrom

Lauren Lindstrom@lelindstrom ·20m
It's a family affair in jury selection. We've had a husband and wife, uncle and nephew in the pool. "We could probably do 3 minutes of stand-up on that matter," judge says re: spouses serving together, adding it's the first time that's happened for him

Lauren Lindstrom@lelindstrom 2h
Big laugh in the crowd from man who said he coaches Archbold basketball and they're going to the tournament later in the month. "I know this is Wauseon..." he says. He's excused

I would make my schedule work to be a juror. It is our duty as citizens. We do need justice and a fair trial. Hope they can find enough jurors.

I would make my schedule work to be a juror. It is our duty as citizens. We do need justice and a fair trial. Hope they can find enough jurors.

Normally, I would feel exactly the same, but this is one case I could not not separte all I have heard and my honest belief in his guilt.

I, too, hope they can find enough jurors and they are totally capable of being impartial. It may be more difficult than expected.

Normally, I would feel exactly the same, but this is one case I could not not separte all I have heard and my honest belief in his guilt.

I, too, hope they can find enoug jurors and they are totally capable of being I partial. It may be more difficult than expected.

I can imagine that a lot of the community are outraged.

I’m sure we talked about this already but I watched The Lovely Bones this morning and cried for Sierah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, too, hope they can find enough jurors and they are totally capable of being impartial. It may be more difficult than expected.
Talking with those I know that had to get questioned knew that they wanted to walk and do their "job as a citizen" and be a juror for the case. But they sat there face to face with the family and the accused and knowing what they know true or false couldn't separate it. Everyone I know either knew the family or the accuser so they were dismissed.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

While I understand the sentiment, unfortunately some people can’t afford to live off of $40/day - $46/day (what jurors get paid in my state). Not to mention it takes at least a month to get paid for jury duty in my state. I cannot picture my boss paying my full salary if I had jury duty. It’s unfortunate, but thats my situation right now. Also, I personally do not think I’d be an impartial juror in not only this case, but most of the cases I follow on WS. Which is a big part of being a juror.

Sorry that is awful. I have always worked where the employer made up the difference or just paid the employee while in court. We need to work on this for others who do want to be a juror. I really thought the trial would have been moved another county.

http://nbc24.com/news/local/jury-selection-continues-in-murder-trial-of-sierah-joughin
During the questioning Defense co-counsel Merle Dech, reminded jurors Worley is "cloaked with innocence" until proven guilty.

"Proof beyond a reasonable doubt--only then, if we can do that, can that cloak be lifted. Will everyone promise us that? " said the attorney in court.

There were at least 200 potential jurors picked between Monday and Tuesday.
Wednesday and Thursday they'll come for individual questioning and will be slimmed down to 50 people
Friday a jury of 18 should be seated.

I heard that on a news clip. I am sure the judge will follow everything by the book. Make a fair trial. No errors that is how it should be then the decision will be final. Continued prayers for all involved. Any word on if he will have any family in the court room?

Lovely tribute page by Sierah’s sister that I hadn’t seen before

https://www.kaylajoughin.com/

I'm bawling my eyes out! I'm telling you, these people within her sphere of her life are some of the strongest and most giving people.

From the beginning of this case I have never seen so many alerts due to fundraisers and memorials for her. Her sisters description of giving to others and guiding others through grief at the holidays on one of the posts amazes me.

:grouphug:

That is an excellent suggestion. I heard that on the news clip.

Nothing going on today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member