OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 600 cold cases in Ohio since 2003? That's just cold cases. Omg. I'm never leaving home without some kind of weapon again and I'm going to put bars over my Windows and 80 locks on each door

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm a little dramatic but jeeze. And I'm 27 but I will look 20 till I'm 40 so I'm just gonna hide forever.

Sorry for all these posts... But yea I never leave to walk/ bike anymore without my pepper spray even when it's broad daylight. It sucks because I like to bike to the river and sit and reflect and I can't even do that anymore because that's so vulnerable. Idk I just want to tell all of the woman I see out to be careful.

Sorry for all these posts... But yea I never leave to walk/ bike anymore without my pepper spray even when it's broad daylight. It sucks because I like to bike to the river and sit and reflect and I can't even do that anymore because that's so vulnerable. Idk I just want to tell all of the woman I see out to be careful.

If you're afraid and reclusive, the bad guys win. Just be aware, stay resilient and don't talk to strangers :)

If you're afraid and reclusive, the bad guys win. Just be aware, stay resilient and don't talk to strangers :)

I feel safest with an equalizer, that can give lead poisoning. If you are trained to use it, I feel that's the best way to keep the bad guys from winning.

You are absolutly right. Thank you.

I feel safest with an equalizer, that can give lead poisoning. If you are trained to use it, I feel that's the best way to keep the bad guys from winning.

I love mine. I recommend it to all my female friends. I also have a tactical flashlight that my ex gave to me but that's not as easy to carry around. It's hard to not let the bad guys win - especially when you've been so close to violent tragedies. I'm guilty of it, but I'm always aware of my surroundings no matter where I am. Some people call it paranoia - I call it being prepared. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumpity bump.

Isn't it a shame that the public is being left in the dark in an investigation of this magnitude. Silence and jurisdictional linkage blindness is what enabled JDW to remain active and stealth for years or decades, and is a serial sexual predator/killer's most lethal weapon, imo..

Jurisdiction linkage blindness is a phrase coined by Dr Steven Egger in the 1970s.. There are only two investigative resources/tools that prevent or combat linkage blindness; an informed aware citizenry & FBI VICAP, imo.. The silent investigative strategy combined with linkage blindness has enabled many predators/serial killers to remain stealth for years or decades undetected while preying on unsuspecting innocent victims, imo..

Dr Steven Egger, associate professor of criminology at the University of Houston-Clear Lake, is a nationally recognized expert in serial murder <Linkage Blindness>

Dr. Egger says, serial killers continue to kill because some aspect of the murder fulfills a psychological need, either the way in which the murder was committed, or what was done with the body afterwards. Discovering the actual motive is never easy. "It's always a problem trying to figure out why these people do what they do," Egger said. Many had terrible childhoods and were sexually abused, but that is not always true. Not only is it difficult to figure out why serial killers continue to kill, it is also hard for law enforcement agencies to identify a serial killer due to "linkage blindness," another term coined by Egger.

"Police don't share information across jurisdictional boundaries," Egger said. "There's always some friction there." Agencies prefer to worry only about their own jurisdiction, instead of sharing information to work together to solve a murder. Egger says a serial murder investigation may, but not always, have as many as seven different crime scenes: the place the victim was initially lured, transportation to a different location, the place the victim was kept, transportation to another location, where the victim was killed, where the body was dumped, and where the weapon was dumped. "In most instances all the police have is the dumpsite," Egger said.

Egger says the other crime scenes are never investigated because of linkage blindness and the fact that law enforcement officials usually treat serial murder as a single homicide. "But if you find out that you're talking about multiple dumpsites in different jurisdictions, then you have a higher possibility of coming up with some trace evidence, particularly in the first kill," Egger said. "The offender brings something to the crime scene, leaves something at the crime scene, and takes something away from the crime scene," Egger said when explaining his three part premise of a crime scene and the reason there is not always a lot of trace evidence. "If you have someone who is aware of that, who is careful, and you're only dealing with one dumpsite, and you're treating it as a single homicide, you have no way of managing your suspects," Egger said.

Egger says a typical homicide is not difficult to solve because you are simply dealing with people's alibis, and the person without one becomes the prime suspect. However, in a serial murder you do not have that. "All crime is serial in nature," Egger said. "Most criminals, if not caught, will repeat their crime. And if that's true, then you've got to share information."

<sniped - read more>

http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/pct...?articleId=402

Isn't it a shame that the public is being left in the dark in an investigation of this magnitude. Silence and jurisdictional linkage blindness is what enabled JDW to remain active and stealth for years or decades, and is a serial sexual predator/killer's most lethal weapon, imo..

Jurisdiction linkage blindness is a phrase coined by Dr Steven Egger in the 1970s.. There are only two investigative resources/tools that prevent or combat linkage blindness; an informed aware citizenry & FBI VICAP, imo.. The silent investigative strategy combined with linkage blindness has enabled many predators/serial killers to remain stealth for years or decades undetected while preying on unsuspecting innocent victims, imo..

Dr Steven Egger, associate professor of criminology at the University of Houston-Clear Lake, is a nationally recognized expert in serial murder <Linkage Blindness>

Dr. Egger says, serial killers continue to kill because some aspect of the murder fulfills a psychological need, either the way in which the murder was committed, or what was done with the body afterwards. Discovering the actual motive is never easy. "It's always a problem trying to figure out why these people do what they do," Egger said. Many had terrible childhoods and were sexually abused, but that is not always true. Not only is it difficult to figure out why serial killers continue to kill, it is also hard for law enforcement agencies to identify a serial killer due to "linkage blindness," another term coined by Egger.

"Police don't share information across jurisdictional boundaries," Egger said. "There's always some friction there." Agencies prefer to worry only about their own jurisdiction, instead of sharing information to work together to solve a murder. Egger says a serial murder investigation may, but not always, have as many as seven different crime scenes: the place the victim was initially lured, transportation to a different location, the place the victim was kept, transportation to another location, where the victim was killed, where the body was dumped, and where the weapon was dumped. "In most instances all the police have is the dumpsite," Egger said.

Egger says the other crime scenes are never investigated because of linkage blindness and the fact that law enforcement officials usually treat serial murder as a single homicide. "But if you find out that you're talking about multiple dumpsites in different jurisdictions, then you have a higher possibility of coming up with some trace evidence, particularly in the first kill," Egger said. "The offender brings something to the crime scene, leaves something at the crime scene, and takes something away from the crime scene," Egger said when explaining his three part premise of a crime scene and the reason there is not always a lot of trace evidence. "If you have someone who is aware of that, who is careful, and you're only dealing with one dumpsite, and you're treating it as a single homicide, you have no way of managing your suspects," Egger said.

Egger says a typical homicide is not difficult to solve because you are simply dealing with people's alibis, and the person without one becomes the prime suspect. However, in a serial murder you do not have that. "All crime is serial in nature," Egger said. "Most criminals, if not caught, will repeat their crime. And if that's true, then you've got to share information."

<sniped - read more>

http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/pct...?articleId=402

Excellent Post.

I cannot add much at all to this other than to say that I think there is another thing that can contribute to local LE not wanting to share with the public as well as not wanting to share with other jurisdictions or even the FBI.

This is JMO and does not apply to all LE. I hope it is an exception but I do feel that one of the reasons local LE likes to keep things under wraps can be summed up into "selfishness reasons" which can be broken down further into subparts like these

-wanting to be the department that "got their man" / wanting to be the hero in solving a major crime
(lots of evidence of this is the typical media interview after a major arrest where we see many officials giving each other accolades and patting themselves on the back.Some of these types of media interviews it seems more time was spent thanking everyone than telling us what led to the arrest and how it went down and if the public is safe now or not. Many movies have shown this too in portraying how one department selfishly wants to keep information about a case to themselves. )

-keeping their job security
(who's the wiser when a department says they need to hire two more investigators. Is that because they are really needed or could it be the current ones are lousy and don't work nearly enough on the cases as much as they should)

-hiding their lack of skills to be able to solve crimes
(are the current investigators really well trained? What was their background in getting the job they are in? Was it just a promotion of a street officer and now they are supposed to be a great detective with nothing more than street arrest skills and no extra training? What is their success rate at solving cases? etc. etc. How many times have we always said surely they must have searched the fingerprint database by now or they surely did X or did Y by now didnt they? And how many times I have wondered did the simple stuff even get done? )

There are others that fall into the "selfishness reason" category and this is just an example. LE people are just human like everyone else and so when we see similar type issues in other industries then surely it is within LE as well.

Excellent Post.

I cannot add much at all to this other than to say that I think there is another thing that can contribute to local LE not wanting to share with the public as well as not wanting to share with other jurisdictions or even the FBI.

This is JMO and does not apply to all LE. I hope it is an exception but I do feel that one of the reasons local LE likes to keep things under wraps can be summed up into "selfishness reasons" which can be broken down further into subparts like these

-wanting to be the department that "got their man" / wanting to be the hero in solving a major crime
(lots of evidence of this is the typical media interview after a major arrest where we see many officials giving each other accolades and patting themselves on the back.Some of these types of media interviews it seems more time was spent thanking everyone than telling us what led to the arrest and how it went down and if the public is safe now or not. Many movies have shown this too in portraying how one department selfishly wants to keep information about a case to themselves. )

-keeping their job security
(who's the wiser when a department says they need to hire two more investigators. Is that because they are really needed or could it be the current ones are lousy and don't work nearly enough on the cases as much as they should)

-hiding their lack of skills to be able to solve crimes
(are the current investigators really well trained? What was their background in getting the job they are in? Was it just a promotion of a street officer and now they are supposed to be a great detective with nothing more than street arrest skills and no extra training? What is their success rate at solving cases? etc. etc. How many times have we always said surely they must have searched the fingerprint database by now or they surely did X or did Y by now didnt they? And how many times I have wondered did the simple stuff even get done? )

There are others that fall into the "selfishness reason" category and this is just an example. LE people are just human like everyone else and so when we see similar type issues in other industries then surely it is within LE as well.

Hatfield, as you are prolly aware, I have been researching missing person's investigations for almost a decade with a goal of identifying common denominators of those that are solved as opposed to those that grow cold. The ones that are solved are due to an aware and well informed citizenry. In virtually every case that grows cold it is due to the antiquated silence strategy; 'I'm sorry we can't release that information due to the integrity of the ongoing investigation'..

With that said, you are exactly right in your observations and conclusions. A common denominator that you didn't touch on is rampant nepotism in many small rural departments.

The FCSO should be saluted for the job that they did in the SJ abduction/murder investigation. When a stranger abduction occurs, seldom is an arrest and recovery made as quickly as it was in this case.. This would indicate that the FCSO has a pre-abduction plan in place and has conducted training in preparation should one occur. The first rule of Public Safety is to plan for the worse case scenario and hope for the best...

I am very concerned that FBI VICAP didn't alert LEAs in NW Ohio that a serial sexual predator/killer was active in their area due to the enormous number of missing/murdered young women over the past 3 decades.

JMO..

I think both Fox and Hatfield are correct.

Although I am unsure if FC was really THAT prepared. The call went out within a few hours that she was missing. and the town itself mobilized. People were notified, Josh put out on FB to meet at a certain place to begin searching, friends and family had flyers first thing in the morning, the evening she went missing there were towns people out all night..on their bikes, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc. Private planes went up. Private Drones went up. The family drove this search in the beginning. SM was used frantically the day she went missing and word spread incredibly fast. A pretty hefty reward went up the next day I believe. There was a volunteer tent set up at Ce's grandparents house immediately and donations and volunteers came far and wide. I know myself that I was here in the morning spreading the word and sending info to Dateline, Nancy Grace, other boards, etc. While LE was "quiet" the public kept driving the word out there. When the feds came the next day they organized and had every outbuilding searched within a 2 mile radius of where she was kidnapped. It was an enormous task, SO many hidey holes, buildings, sheds, etc. think about it...2 miles as the crow flies radius was searched and cleared within 18 hours of her missing. I wasn't there then but Josh said it was amazing to see how they did it.
I do feel that they should be updating the public about what is going on now. People are anxious. We had that one newscast that focused on Lori ann Hill but really...none of the others that we here have put together in the JDW thread. I don't think the public is aware of just how many there are! As far as FC and their expertise...idk...SO many unsolved murders dating back 30 years! And they are STILL unsolved!
It's very frustrating

I am very concerned that FBI VICAP didn't alert LEAs in NW Ohio that a serial sexual predator/killer was active in their area due to the enormous number of missing/murdered young women over the past 3 decades

Maybe they did and LE just didn't notify US. That seems more likely. I can't remember where I read it but FBI was aware of a serial killer back then that was "working" the 80-90 turnpike exchange going all the way to Indiana. I sure don't recall anything like that being publicized.

maybe LE is afraid of panic of the public?
IMOO, I bet they are over loaded.
If I had a female loved one missing or murdered, I would be at their door.
I do wish we had some info to work on.
I pass cornfields now being harvested and I just cringe...........

Maybe they did and LE just didn't notify US. That seems more likely. I can't remember where I read it but FBI was aware of a serial killer back then that was "working" the 80-90 turnpike exchange going all the way to Indiana. I sure don't recall anything like that being publicized.

Jashrema, it is very possible that LE knew and the community was simply left in the dark.. In the 2008 abduction/murder case that brought me to websleuths. A few days after the 62 year old serial killer's arrest, and the recovery of the victim. I decided to drive up to the Appalachian trail head where she was taken and view a memorial tribute that the thru hikers had made at the abduction site. I talked to a National Forest Park Ranger who told me that the serial killer had been on their radar for quite some time. I thought to myself, 'why wasn't the hikers aware of this'...
Upon arrival at the trail head parking lot I noticed warning posters on several of the trees; 'BEWARE of the BLACK BEAR'...

Black bear reported in Lucas County, Ohio
http://www.toledoblade.com/frontpage/2005/07/08/Black-bear-reported-in-Lucas-County.html

Jashrema, it is very possible that LE knew and the community was simply left in the dark.. In the 2008 abduction/murder case that brought me to websleuths. A few days after the 62 year old serial killer's arrest, and the recovery of the victim. I decided to drive up to the Appalachian trail head where she was taken and view a memorial tribute that the thru hikers had made at the abduction site. I talked to a National Forest Park Ranger who told me that the serial killer had been on their radar for quite some time. I thought to myself, 'why wasn't the hikers aware of this'...
Upon arrival at the trail head parking lot I noticed warning posters on several of the trees; 'BEWARE of the BLACK BEAR'...

Black bear reported in Lucas County, Ohio
http://www.toledoblade.com/frontpage/2005/07/08/Black-bear-reported-in-Lucas-County.html

Id almost forgotten how close the bear sighting was ! Which reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from a movie w John Candy lmao
https://youtu.be/vuw3mbUQHAw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member