GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So I'm confused -- guilty or not? You guys are discussing a call for a Grand Jury but the headlines are saying 'guilty'. Sorry if I'm behind or missing something. TIA ---

Two teens found guilty in Steubenville rape case

Yes! The 2 boys were found guilty. Already in custody and headed out! Thank goodness!

And NOW, happening as we speak, a press conference where the Attorney General is conveining a Grand Jury to determine further charges for the many others involved in this case.

Including the stuff that he says the media has speculated about...witness tampering, etc.

This is what so many have been calling for. This man and his office is standing up and has some pretty strong words for what he intends to do going forward.

Gulty but grand jury will be called regarding more charges

She lives in West Virginia. So, it was across State lines and Uncle Sam can be involved.

The criminal act didn't cross state lines. It doesn't matter that the girl was a resident of another state.

The judge sentenced them both to at least one year in juvenile jail and said both can be held until they're 21. Mays, who's 17, was sentenced to an additional year in jail on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material, to be served after his rape sentence is completed

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/03/17/steubenville-rape-guilty-verdict.html

So I'm confused -- guilty or not? You guys are discussing a call for a Grand Jury but the headlines are saying 'guilty'. Sorry if I'm behind or missing something. TIA ---

Two teens found guilty in Steubenville rape case

see above quoted

The criminal act didn't cross state lines. It doesn't matter that the girl was a resident of another state.

Does that fact that she is a minor complicate this, though? (ETA: I have no idea - just wondering)

Yes! The 2 boys were found guilty. Already in custody and headed out! Thank goodness!

And NOW, happening as we speak, a press conference where the Attorney General is conveining a Grand Jury to determine further charges for the many others involved in this case.

Including the stuff that he says the media has speculated about...witness tampering, etc.

This is what so many have been calling for. This man and his office is standing up and has some pretty strong words for what he intends to do going forward.

Gulty but grand jury will be called regarding more charges

Thank you! Makes sense...

I can tell you that the town of Stuebenville is SHOOK this am!!!

Life as they knew it is probably over...if this AG is to be believed.

As it should be.

failure to report
and
mandatory reporters that failed to report

charges that grand jury may look at filing charges against individuals

**that mandatory reporter should included teachers and coaches....JMO

Pitiful. A slap on the wrist at best. IMO this has set back women's rights 50 years. The jocks are still getting special treatment. I am very disappointed but not surprised.

Ohio would have been more outraged back in 1973. Same for 1913 or 1813. This is a new low for women's rights and civil rights. This football team has brought national disgrace to Ohio. Close down the school's sports program.
We must not tolerate rape and abuse of women and girls.

Who's the lady behind the AG? It sounds like the mandatory reporters will get some attention!

16 individuals refused to be interviewed. May be more charges of failure to report a felony, and tampering with evidence.

Again, for those not watching...

The AG is saying that they will follow the evidence and they don't care where it takes them. They are going after whoever was involved, no matter their position.

I hope this guy sticks to his guns. He seems to be laying this out for them...we are coming, and no one will be immune to investigation.

Does that fact that she is a minor complicate this, though? (ETA: I have no idea - just wondering)

Not that I am aware of. I don't see that the federal government has jurisdiction over the rapes at all. But could for the videos and perhaps the cover up. But since tha state AG seems to now be Pershing this, I would be surprised to see the Feds get involved.

I'd be surprised if the Feds don't get involved now. Hey boys, put down the donuts and get to work. A girls civil rights were violated and a town tried to cover it up. Numerous Federal Crimes here. Get to work.

16 individuals refused to be interviewed. May be more charges of failure to report a felony, and tampering with evidence.

bbm

My guess is that many of these are teens listening to their parents saying 'Don't get involved'. Sad but may be true. :(

Well good. Guilty. I could see in the judge's face last night during closing arguments that he had pretty much decided this case already - guilty.

As for the Grand Jury......let's just say, I bet there are a WHOLE BUNCH of adults (and "upstanding Steubenville citizens") shaking in their boots right about now, along with a bunch of other high schoolers as well.

As the AG said, this isn't over.

JMHO

I hope this verdict reaches further than Steubenville. There is way too much of this behavior with teens (with adults, too - but I'm focusing on teens) all across the country. In my hometown, gang rape was rampant when I was in high school - and girls knew to stick together when out drinking. If one of your friends disappeared at a party, you knew something was happening. It happened way too much but was accepted 'underground' behavior - meaning it was not discussed except in very small circles. The boys doing it had too high of a status in the community for anyone to think of speaking out.

That's one of the reasons why I'm glad this case resulted in a guilty verdict.

(OT: In college, a friend disappeared for awhile at a frat house party. She was so drunk she could hardly walk. When it was time to leave, we had to bang on every door to find her -- curled in a ball in the corner, crying, pants off, and a few frat guys passed out naked. She could hardly stand, much less defend herself. Nothing was ever done and she wouldn't talk about it. Girls: if you're going to drink, stay with your friends. Please.)

I'm relieved to hear about the verdict. Too bad it won't ever change how life will be affected forever for this girl and her family. How is it determined how long they will stay there? Judge said 1yr and 2yrs but said they could keep them until 21...how is that decided?

Now to find some charges for the <modsnip> spouting off in that video saying she was "dead as Caylee Anthony". He is disgusting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back