Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site and I have been reading through the Buckskin girl postings. I have been interested in this case for sometime now, having grown up in close to the area where she was found. My mother still lives in Miami County.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I had some thoughts, which may be way out there, but here they are. Is there a way that LE can cooperate with companies such as ancestory.com to see if they can compare Buckskin girl, or any other DNA from a missing person, with their large amount of DNA profiles that they have stored in their databases? For example, when I gave a DNA sample to ancestory.com, after they processed the sample, I was able to see many people who were 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. cousins that I was able to trace back to find our common ancestor. If LE was able to do this, say for Buckskin girl, maybe hits would come up for 1st cousins, 2nd cousins, or even siblings and they could back track and maybe find clues to who they are by finding out who they are related to.

I'm not sure of the hoops that would have to be jumped through, or the legalities of this, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks.

Ancestry needs saliva.Technically LE should be able to get a file that could be uploaded to family tree sites; I know of one case that is doing it in Australia but do not know specifics except it's by Colleen that solved Lori

It is so sad that many of these young UIDs from back in the day may have actually been escapees from these dubious "teen homes"! I shudder to think of this unregulated industry that caters to the "troubled teens" and their families, claiming to want to help the "wayward" son or daughter, who may have only just been caught smoking a cigarette or listening to rock 'n roll.... It's still out there, on the fringes, from what I've heard/read. Didn't they make a movie on this phenomenon, called "Jesus Camp"? Not sure if that has anything to do with the subject.

[video=youtube;wiYFRmNuz9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYFRmNuz9k[/video]

Vaguelly recalling my mother dragging me cloth stores, the sweater seems to be a mix of factory (tag) and handmade features.

For example, look at the trellis pattern. Not only is the pattern not uniform across the sweater, but the "squares" are not totally uniform in size. There also seems to be a smaller variation in the width of the "beams". Also, look at the way the trellis component is merged with the sleeves. The concave curve where the two fabric merge is close, but not exact (though the two sides may not be evenly smoothed out. Even still, there seems to be a noticable variation).

I wonder of the sweater was store bought, hence the tag and uniform neck, cuffs etc. Then a crafts type person modified it by creating the trellis pattern and then sewing it over the sweater? Or, was it factory made and designed to mimic home made features?

As someone who has worn quite a few 1960s/1970s era vintage clothes, I will say that a lot of the time the factory-made store-bought pieces are less "regular" appearing than such clothes today. The finishing, especially hems and such, was more frequently done by hand, even though it was still mass-manufactured and sold.

The Buckskin Girl's turtleneck looks to my eyes like a normal Sears-type purchase from about 1968-1972.

Some other posters are talking about clothing labels/lack thereof. It is very possible that BSG removed any tags herself, and if she did it carefully it would not be apparent (especially from photos). Personally, I consider clothing labels ugly and uncomfortable, so whenever I acquire a new item of clothing, I get out my embroidery scissors and carefully remove them by cutting the stitches (just trimming short the tags that are sewn into the seam or serging). When I do a good job, you have to look really closely to tell that a tag was ever sewn on.

Also keep in mind that side seam tags (with the fabric content and usually also country of origin and washing instructions) were not required on clothing back in 1981. BSG's clothes, if they had tags, would only have had neck tags. I don't know WHEN side seam tags became required, but I know that nothing I have ever bought older than about 30 years has ever had a side seam tag.

EDIT: I know the turtleneck had a size tag. I posted what I did because of the relevance to her jacket, as it was probably not handmade but also probably not sold as widely as some place like Sears.

ALSO: If BSG knew how to sew, she could have added the lining herself. As a second possibly relevant personal example, I have a store-bought leather jacket whose lining I have remade and replaced a total of 3 times over 12 years, because I love it so much. If that fringey jacket was BSG's favorite old piece of clothing (which I think is likely), she could pretty easily have done the same, and though it was store-bought, we wouldn't ever find its purple-lined brother.

As someone who has worn quite a few 1960s/1970s era vintage clothes, I will say that a lot of the time the factory-made store-bought pieces are less "regular" appearing than such clothes today. The finishing, especially hems and such, was more frequently done by hand, even though it was still mass-manufactured and sold.

The Buckskin Girl's turtleneck looks to my eyes like a normal Sears-type purchase from about 1968-1972.

Some other posters are talking about clothing labels/lack thereof. It is very possible that BSG removed any tags herself, and if she did it carefully it would not be apparent (especially from photos). Personally, I consider clothing labels ugly and uncomfortable, so whenever I acquire a new item of clothing, I get out my embroidery scissors and carefully remove them by cutting the stitches (just trimming short the tags that are sewn into the seam or serging). When I do a good job, you have to look really closely to tell that a tag was ever sewn on.

Also keep in mind that side seam tags (with the fabric content and usually also country of origin and washing instructions) were not required on clothing back in 1981. BSG's clothes, if they had tags, would only have had neck tags. I don't know WHEN side seam tags became required, but I know that nothing I have ever bought older than about 30 years has ever had a side seam tag.

EDIT: I know the turtleneck had a size tag. I posted what I did because of the relevance to her jacket, as it was probably not handmade but also probably not sold as widely as some place like Sears.

ALSO: If BSG knew how to sew, she could have added the lining herself. As a second possibly relevant personal example, I have a store-bought leather jacket whose lining I have remade and replaced a total of 3 times over 12 years, because I love it so much. If that fringey jacket was BSG's favorite old piece of clothing (which I think is likely), she could pretty easily have done the same, and though it was store-bought, we wouldn't ever find its purple-lined brother.

LE have always said they thought the jacket was hand made whether she made it herself or not we don't know. As you said, it's possible the purple lining was a 2nd lining.

Good reminder about clothing from long ago not being as manufactured looking as we have today.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already , but the thought occurred to me , is it possible that Buckskin Girl could have been involved in the Rodeo circuit ?
Perhaps her buckskin jacket was not Native American , but " Western Wear"
The chemical isotope testing from her hair shows that a lot of evidence points to her being in North Texas and Southeastern Oklahoma at least twice in the year before she died. An area that I am certain is steeped in rodeo tradition.

She had scars under her lip, on her wrist , arms and ankle which could possibly be a result of rodeo activity. I wonder if they did x-rays for a history of broken bones ?
She wore her hair in tight braids , which would make sense if you are riding.
She had freckles and a ruddy complexion which led them to believe that she had spent a fair amount of time outside. This could also be a result of a riding enthusiast.

She wore Wrangler jeans . Now I can't speak for all ages and geographic locations, but in 1981 I was 11 years old , just on the verge of adolescence. I live in a very rural area of PA , and nobody in school wore Wrangler jeans . It was all about Levi's . You couldn't have paid me to wear Wrangler's to school. We had a school district that served " mountain kids" and " town kids " and if anyone wore Wrangler's , it was the mountain kids ( the farm kids) - I'm just making a personal observation that may not apply to all ages and regions.

One more question , recent lab testing showed a high level of pollen and soot from vehicle traffic and/or industrial activity was also found on her clothing suggesting that she spent a significant amount of time in an urban area within the Northeastern region ( Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island ).

I don't know anything about the specific testing , but I have a wood burning fireplace as my main heat source ( I live in the mountains now ) and am certain that soot would be detected on my clothing if tested. Could this soot be from a fireplace or campfires , or is it distinguishable from industry and vehicles ?

I believe that they speculate whether she was part Native American . I personally doubt it , but I understand that they have dental records. Do they show the shovel shaped incisors indicative of Native American ancestry ?

Maybe the jacket and braids were just a fashion statement , but it's worth considering the rodeo circuit theory due to the attire , scars , geography and braids. Mind you , I know nothing about rodeos , let alone rodeos in the early 1980s with females , so if anyone has any inside information , please share .

Someone had mentioned the rodeo thing once before I believe. It makes sense, especially if she was a Barrel Racer. She took good care of herself, so she had money - ergo, the Wrangler Jeans were most likely purchased to actually be used as a pair of tough riding pants; not for fashion. But the soot is indeed able to be distinguished in terms of wood, fossil fuels, etc. I'm still trying to figure out what she was struck in the head with - some have suggested a tire iron, or a jack handle; but I wonder if it wasn't something horse-related? Anyone on here breed or keep horses and can elaborate?

I'm from the Texoma region. It would make since she would travel to this area in the rodeo circuit, it was a popular for of entertainment here in the 70s and 80s. Rodeos started fading out in the 90s, now there's only a handful still open in my area (north central TX). If she was interested in rodeos, I would bet she would have gone to see the McAlester,OK Prison Rodeo. It was one of the more popular ones, but they stopped doing them a few years ago. I'm told that the Kueckelhan Rodeo in Bonham,TX was also popular. They have a website up. I couldn't find anything useful on it, but maybe someone else will? http://www.kueckelhanrodeo.com/

They did have women Barrel Racers back then - I did it a little locally and won a few ribbons. But did those ladies follow along in the Rodeo circuit? That would make sense on how she was able to afford that gorgeous jacket and to take such good care of herself.

I'm from the Texoma region. It would make since she would travel to this area in the rodeo circuit, it was a popular for of entertainment here in the 70s and 80s. Rodeos started fading out in the 90s, now there's only a handful still open in my area (north central TX). If she was interested in rodeos, I would bet she would have gone to see the McAlester,OK Prison Rodeo. It was one of the more popular ones, but they stopped doing them a few years ago. I'm told that the Kueckelhan Rodeo in Bonham,TX was also popular. They have a website up. I couldn't find anything useful on it, but maybe someone else will? http://www.kueckelhanrodeo.com/

Prison Rodeo sounds like a fine place to meet your demise....wonder when it was happening in 1981?

They did have women Barrel Racers back then - I did it a little locally and won a few ribbons. But did those ladies follow along in the Rodeo circuit? That would make sense on how she was able to afford that gorgeous jacket and to take such good care of herself.

I'm told yes. (I wasn't born until the '90s so this info is second hand.) Another thought I had, if not the rodeo she could have perhaps traveled with a circus. I have seen a few that had western entertainers (horse tricks, gun shows and the like), and Hugo, Oklahoma is the home base for alot of the circuses that travel around the US.

I just dropped them an email. Maybe they know who she is? It was worth a shot I figured...

So, I have been looking at it for awhile and I read this

April ? - A girl named Sandy died after suffering
a fall during a practice session on the
flying trapeze with a Donnie Johnson produced
circus. She apparently slipped from the
bar and fell between the board and net and
landed on her head on the floor.

http://www.circushistory.org/Publications/CircusReport01Jun1981.pdf

Didn't know anymore than her first name and unsure of the actual date in April 1981..just odd? So, maybe if they didn't know anything more than her first name, maybe they just left her and therefore gave a vague date? Not sure what it could mean or mean absolutely nothing but a Sandy died from a fall on her head from an aerial trick sometime in April 1981 with a Donnie Johnson circus. Am too tired now (I think) to research where this particular circus may have been during April 1981...but it is a bit interesting.

I figured I would see if I could find a Sandy listed at Mount Olivet Cemetery or Showmen's Rest (just to see) when I realized that if BG was involved with the circus or rodeo she might have been a member of the Showmen's League. So I visited their site (http://www.showmensleague.org/) apparently they had a bad fire back in 2001 that destroyed all their records. If you go to the Chapter and Links page it recommends there is some minimal information about the League's founding and scholarship program.

I have been in circusville...

I found this as well so not sure if there were 2 girls (aeralists) that died in same company, same year or if it was a misprint?

SAD NOTE: A girl, who I don't know, but
whose name is Cindy, fell during a practice
session of the flying act on Oonnie Johnson's
unit and has since died.

This was in the May 1981 issue (Sandy was in the June 1981 issue)....so really not sure??

http://www.circushistory.org/Publications/CircusReport25May1981.pdf

But they also misprinted Donnie to Oonnie...so not really sure!!

I really do not believe she was in a circus...it's an absolutely crazy idea really. But....she has been unidentified for so many years that any straw is worth grasping. After looking into circus, I saw that many people were from Montreal. Just a crazy idea, I know!!

For the past several months, since LE announced the isotope testing results indicating that BG might have a connection to the Northern Texas / Southern Oklahoma area, I've been going through 1970's era HS yearbooks for schools in that region.

I completed the relevant area of Oklahoma, and Tarrant County, and was working my way through Dallas County, and so far, have looked through 600 yearbooks. I've found a few who looked close. But none as close as this girl from Skyline High School in Dallas - Class of 1975.

<modsnip>

I can't say her name here. I'll just say her initials are P.A. and she shares a common name with a famous Playboy bunny/model/actress who had a 1990's TV series playing the role of a beach lifeguard, and who has been married to a couple of bad-boy rock stars.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that her name is fairly common, and there are several women with the same name and same approximate age who have connections to Eastern Texas, it is going to be fairly difficult to locate any info on her with any certainty that I have the right P.A.

I have an inquiry out with the Skyline HS alumni page on Facebook to see if anyone remembers her and can provide any info on whether she has been seen since 1981.

Quite a resemblance!
Would the " common name " be the first name,second name or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717