Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I re-did two versions of how she might look with her hair down.

83675974-5daf-4245-9472-95c0014d409c.jpg
8286026d-0111-44a0-a417-f17eb8c693f3.jpg

ETA: Added second version.

Bumping..

I agree, dotr... that jacket could have come from anywhere. I guess the best thing that could happen is someone could see a picture of the jacket and think "My sister had one just like that, and she's been missing since 1981!" but I really think that's a long shot and shouldn't be used as a major identification marker.

Has anyone looked into Valerie Smith from NY? (https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20265/14/) Her circumstances are a little off, but the timing is right and her eyebrows are very similar. She also looks a lot different in each picture shown on NamUs.

I received an email from NamUs that another exclusion was added to the Buckskin's NamUs profile. It is Barbara Cotton. I know she was considered a possible match a few months back and the family was waiting for the DNA to come back.

They now have 93 exclusions for the Buckskin Girl. I hope we can find her identity soon!

https://identifyus.org/cases/4790

Valerie Smith appears to have multiple piercings in her ears, visible in some of her photos, while it's been said BG did not have pierced ears. IMHO, there is a resemblance, in some photos more than others.

Many females might have worn clip on earrings as opposed to actually having pierced ears. This, imo, makes it more difficult to compare with uid's who really do have pierced ears.

Guess what I am trying to suggest is, that when photos of missing loved ones are released, it might be better if the pic. shows the person not wearing earrings at all - if ears are not actually pierced.

Many females might have worn clip on earrings as opposed to actually having pierced ears. This, imo, makes it more difficult to compare with uid's who really do have pierced ears.

Guess what I am trying to suggest is, that when photos of missing loved ones are released, it might be better if the pic. shows the person not wearing earrings at all - if ears are not actually pierced.

Good point. My mother always wears clip or screw-back earrings. Unless the description says pierced ears, we shouldn't make any assumptions based on the pictures. They might be a clue, but no more than that.

Hi all, I too have been following this case for a long time (along with the Pear Lady) case in Ohio.

I read that the police think the BuckSkin girl's Leather Pullover Jacket could provide some important clues to the case. So, I did some searches to see if I could find anything like a McCall's Pattern or existing Jackets for sale.

I found Two - which are nearly identical to the one she was found in.

I wonder if you will give them a look see and possibly help me develop some leads from them.

Thanks.

il_570xN.493695675_q8fb.jpg

LINK: http://www.etsy.com/listing/1605307...acket&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

il_570xN.294095932.jpg

Link: http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/88124932/vintage-60s-fringed-brown-suede-jacket?ref=v1_other_1

Welcome to Ws Chuz Life and thanks for the great pics!
Just a thought.. could Buckskin Girl be a visitor from the UK??

Welcome to Ws Chuz Life and thanks for the great pics!
Just a thought.. could Buckskin Girl be a visitor from the UK??

Good question - though the "to be shipped from" comments on these items say from the U.S. (Wisconsin and Florida) as I recall.

I'm sending messages to both sellers to see what more I can learn about these jackets.

This is the message I sent to the owner / seller of the suede jackets that I linked to earlier. I'll post a response as soon as I can get an answer.

Hello, I have an un-usual request about your jacket shown in this image. In a town near my home, a young girl's body was found along side the road - wearing a jacket almost identical to the one you have for sale. The Police are at a loss for information on where the jacket may have been made or purchased from.

Is there any information you can share with me - along those lines?

Hi,
This is my first post here. The jacket interested me as well. I googled buckskin jacket and I found the picture below on ebay. I e-mailed the seller for info and he replied that there was a white tag inside the jacket that said "made in mexico". That was the only information he had on the jacket. I believe it's the same jacket, in better condition. I found another one made identical just in a different color and have emailed that seller to see what if any info they can provide. I don't know if this helps, but I'll keep searching for info on the jacket.
Thanks for letting me share,
Jen

I should have read the entire thread before sharing the images that I just shared with everyone. Cudos to "lotsofdogs" for essentially the same find.

I did find another image though - and it's a good one because it shows the actual label. I will be contacting the owner by telephone as soon as possible. She says on her listing that she has owned the jacket for a very long time (since the 70's) and I will try to find out where she bought it from.

Hopefully too, with the label info, we can find a company listing and find out what their distribution might have been.

Here is the image.

picture.php

Close up of Label!

picture.php

Can anyone tell me from experience, if the label and make of "BuckSkin Girl's" jacket is a significant enough find - to call the persons handling her case with?

They do not look like the same maker to me

Attached Buckskin Girls's jacket

Attachments

• BuckskinJacketP2280003.jpg
    BuckskinJacketP2280003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 104
Is the jacket in the thumbnail the UID's jacket?

@Chuz Life: That jacket looks handmade also - it maybe just a different style to the other jacket eg: mans jacket - womans jacket. The 'Mexico' brand may also know who was the maker of the other jacket is - or at least be able to say how many were made at that time.

I'm not sure that those coats could be from the same maker of Buckskin girls coat. She was found in 1981, 32 years ago. But it's worth a try.

Hi all, I too have been following this case for a long time (along with the Pear Lady) case in Ohio.

I read that the police think the BuckSkin girl's Leather Pullover Jacket could provide some important clues to the case. So, I did some searches to see if I could find anything like a McCall's Pattern or existing Jackets for sale.

I found Two - which are nearly identical to the one she was found in.

I wonder if you will give them a look see and possibly help me develop some leads from them.

Thanks.

il_570xN.493695675_q8fb.jpg

LINK: http://www.etsy.com/listing/1605307...acket&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

il_570xN.294095932.jpg

Link: http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/88124932/vintage-60s-fringed-brown-suede-jacket?ref=v1_other_1
I rarely comment on or post cases on an open forum but occasionally find posts so compelling I hace to stick my nose into the air of possibility.

Have you done any research on the Mc"Calls pattern you are using as a reference here? When did it first appear as a distributed pattern. Where was that pattern available etc.? That information would be helpful.

In my opinion if you simply turn in a tijp on the jacket, it will be ignored and not necessarily out of disinterest in this case. When there is a high profile case and many folks begin to call in or email LE on fragments of possible evidence, they get overwhelmed with, well....fragments which they have to sift through and decide if they are relevant.

Do I think the possible origin of this jacket is relevant? Absolutely! However, remember that in the late 70's there was no internet ordering for anything and a clothing pattern or anything else for that matter that may have been available in one location or store chain, may be exclusive to that stofor a number of reasons.

I would focus on the jacket pattern which would give you an approximate time frame which the jacket was made.

Again, on LE notifications, make your case! Research and document in short but concise order in file form your findings. In other words, spoon feed them !LE is NOT uncaring or lazy, they simply have NOW to deal with and are severely hampered by those in a higher salary bracket.

There are certainly othe relevant issues here but the jacket pattern can tell you a lot. However it involves searchin and a great deal of skepticism!
All the best!

Is the jacket in the thumbnail the UID's jacket?

@Chuz Life: That jacket looks handmade also - it maybe just a different style to the other jacket eg: mans jacket - womans jacket. The 'Mexico' brand may also know who was the maker of the other jacket is - or at least be able to say how many were made at that time.

Yes & I edited my post to reflect it is her jacket.

I rarely comment on or post cases on an open forum but occasionally find posts so compelling I hace to stick my nose into the air of possibility.

Have you done any research on the Mc"Calls pattern you are using as a reference here? When did it first appear as a distributed pattern. Where was that pattern available etc.? That information would be helpful.

In my opinion if you simply turn in a tijp on the jacket, it will be ignored and not necessarily out of disinterest in this case. When there is a high profile case and many folks begin to call in or email LE on fragments of possible evidence, they get overwhelmed with, well....fragments which they have to sift through and decide if they are relevant.

Do I think the possible origin of this jacket is relevant? Absolutely! However, remember that in the late 70's there was no internet ordering for anything and a clothing pattern or anything else for that matter that may have been available in one location or store chain, may be exclusive to that stofor a number of reasons.

I would focus on the jacket pattern which would give you an approximate time frame which the jacket was made.

Again, on LE notifications, make your case! Research and document in short but concise order in file form your findings. In other words, spoon feed them !LE is NOT uncaring or lazy, they simply have NOW to deal with and are severely hampered by those in a higher salary bracket.

There are certainly othe relevant issues here but the jacket pattern can tell you a lot. However it involves searchin and a great deal of skepticism!
All the best!

I was going to search for patterns at one time too; not sure if I ever did.
The style was probably popular in the 70's due to the Easy Rider movie. One of the actor was wearing a similar one

We had a mechanic at my dads gas station that was into the fringe wear

I was going to search for patterns at one time too; not sure if I ever did.
The style was probably popular in the 70's due to the Easy Rider movie. One of the actor was wearing a similar one

We had a mechanic at my dads gas station that was into the fringe wear

Simplicity 9123 A Simplicity 9123; ©1979; Men's Pullover Top and Lined Jacket: Pullover top V. 1 and 2 has front slit opening, collar, yokes, long two-piece set-in sleeves, slits in side seams and top-stitching. V. 1 with self fringe has leather lacing through eyelets. Lined jacket V. 3 and 4 has front button closing, yokes, long two-piece set-in sleeves, pockets and top-stitching. V. 3 has self fringe.

Simplicity 9123 A

Attachments

• Simplicity_9123_2.jpg
    Simplicity_9123_2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Simplicity9123A- Vintage Sewing Patterns.pdf
    409.9 KB · Views: 14
I know there must be a few people who say they knew a woman who wore a similar or same jacket, but I have always questioned whether this was made for females.

I checked the link for the jacket photos above and the description i interesting:

Vintage 60s fringed brown suede jacket mens Size medium
£130.71 GBP
Only 1 available

Overview

Vintage
1960s
Materials: sueded leather, nylon or polyester lining, metal rivets
Ships worldwide from Wisconsin, United States
http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/88124932/vintage-60s-fringed-brown-suede-jacket?ref=v1_other_1

It just isn't a female "Cut".

May mean nothing because if she was in some sort of historical reproduction (many in NE) she could have worn it and it not be unusual.

Anyone check or historical festivals or reproductions of the revolution during that time? The people involved in these festivals wear costumes of soldiers and native indians. It would take an effort but could be found if such a reporduction took place either in PA or Ohio (most popular places)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow