Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simplicity 9123 A Simplicity 9123; ©1979; Men's Pullover Top and Lined Jacket: Pullover top V. 1 and 2 has front slit opening, collar, yokes, long two-piece set-in sleeves, slits in side seams and top-stitching. V. 1 with self fringe has leather lacing through eyelets. Lined jacket V. 3 and 4 has front button closing, yokes, long two-piece set-in sleeves, pockets and top-stitching. V. 3 has self fringe.

Simplicity 9123 A

Thanks Roselvr!

OUr posts crossed. The link showing the jacket that apears to be identical to the one the UP wore shows to be "Vintage 60s mens" (see post).

They do not look like the same maker to me

Attached Buckskin Girls's jacket

The information in this link may answer some questions. Use the "zoom" feature and you can see that the number of eyelets are the same and many other features are the same.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/443785-1051/Buck-Skin-Jacket-Buffalo-Art

I just got off the phone with the owner of the jacket (very nice lady) who says the jacket was purchase in an estate sale several years ago - BUT - she remembers that the people who sold it to her father said they bought the jacket originally when they were traveling out West in ARIZONA.

I'm sending a link for this thread to the jacket owner as promised to her.

She seems to be very interested in the case.

The information in this link may answer some questions. Use the "zoom" feature and you can see that the number of eyelets are the same and many other features are the same.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/443785-1051/Buck-Skin-Jacket-Buffalo-Art

I just got off the phone with the owner of the jacket (very nice lady) who says the jacket was purchase in an estate sale several years ago - BUT - she remembers that the people who sold it to her father said they bought the jacket originally when they were traveling out West in ARIZONA.

I'm sending a link for this thread to the jacket owner as promised to her.

She seems to be very interested in the case.

Stay on it ChuzLIfe!
TX and NM would be good places to check also.

I know there must be a few people who say they knew a woman who wore a similar or same jacket, but I have always questioned whether this was made for females.

I checked the link for the jacket photos above and the description i interesting:

Vintage 60s fringed brown suede jacket mens Size medium
£130.71 GBP
Only 1 available

Overview

Vintage
1960s
Materials: sueded leather, nylon or polyester lining, metal rivets
Ships worldwide from Wisconsin, United States
http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/88124932/vintage-60s-fringed-brown-suede-jacket?ref=v1_other_1

It just isn't a female "Cut".

May mean nothing because if she was in some sort of historical reproduction (many in NE) she could have worn it and it not be unusual.

Anyone check or historical festivals or reproductions of the revolution during that time? The people involved in these festivals wear costumes of soldiers and native indians. It would take an effort but could be found if such a reporduction took place either in PA or Ohio (most popular places)

Many pieces from the hippie era were manufactured to be unisex. Labeling it men's or women's is essentially a marketing decision on the seller's part. I don't think we can say definitively that BG's jacket originally belonged to a man, or was made for a man, just based on this one seller's decision to label it men's. I'd probably market this same jacket as women's, personally.

Also, I believe she was quite busty (unless I'm thinking of a different UID) so she might have gravitated towards men's or unisex clothing in order to hide her chest.

All JMO, as someone in the vintage business.

McCalls 4670 Vintage Mens Preacher Collar Shirt, Suede Jacket Sewing Pattern Pioneer Bicentennial Pattern Vest Ascot Chest 34 $6.95 USD

Attachments

• McCalls 4670 il_570xN.456143257_p9hv.jpg
    McCalls 4670 il_570xN.456143257_p9hv.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 90
McCalls 4670 Vintage Mens Preacher Collar Shirt, Suede Jacket Sewing Pattern Pioneer Bicentennial Pattern Vest Ascot Chest 34 $6.95 USD

I don't discount the chance that the jacket BG was wearing might have been homemade using one of the Patterns available. But the hash marks (chevron looking stripes) on BG's sleeve match the same on the articles I posted - jackets that were actually manufactured. The Mc'Calls and other 'pattern' products did not have or show those has marks.

BG's Jacket also has the same number of eyelets and is in the same direction "stitching" as the manufactured jackets. (see: arrow patterns on all the accent stitching.)

I am open to being wrong about it but I think her jacket was store bought (at least) originally.

I don't discount the chance that the jacket BG was wearing might have been homemade using one of the Patterns available. But the hash marks (chevron looking stripes) on BG's sleeve match the same on the articles I posted - jackets that were actually manufactured. The Mc'Calls and other 'pattern' products did not have or show those has marks.

BG's Jacket also has the same number of eyelets and is in the same direction "stitching" as the manufactured jackets. (see: arrow patterns on all the accent stitching.)

I am open to being wrong about it but I think her jacket was store bought (at least) originally.

I have not had time to fully compare what you posted to the patterns. I wanted to get the patterns I found posted hopefully everyone can check everything out.

I have not had time to fully compare what you posted to the patterns. I wanted to get the patterns I found posted hopefully everyone can check everything out.

Good job on finding the patterns - by the way.

I try not to rule out anything and don't take the info in these reports as "gospel" anyway because they have proved to contain too many errors. Another observation I find interesting about the "jacket" is that one of your links describes it to be Vintage 60s. This is the one that looks exactly like the UP's. The photo of her jacket in evidence appears to be very worn, not new. So it could ealily be much older and "home made repairs" made through the years. This would be common if it were part of a costume or it was a sentimental family piece, or even if someone found it in a garage sale and repaird it.

So, if it is not a commercial pattern (none like it found) then connecting the jacket to the UP will be more difficult but not imposible.

I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but in the '60s and '70s jackets like this were...not quite as common as dirt, but very popular. You could have bought one in just about any trading post, souvenir stand, and western clothing store in the country, right next to the displays of authentic Indian turquoise made in Korea and over one aisle from the tomtoms and cheap metal fake six-shooters. Probably half the 4-H'ers in the country (male and female) made one, and so did half the Girl Scouts and Campfire Girls going for their sewing badge. The only reason I didn't was that I couldn't afford the materials, so I made mine of corduroy.

Somebody asked where the patterns were distributed. McCalls and Simplicity were and still are national brands.

We didn't have the internet back then, but we did have Sears, Penney's, Alden's, and a host of other catalogues to order from. I don't know whether you could get a jacket like this from them or not -- but I'd be surprised if you couldn't.

The two things interesting about this one are that it seems to be rather well made, and by 1981 their popularity had died down, even in the West. Which makes me think the most productive thing to do might be to publicize it and see if a relative or schoolmate or something might recognize it.

Ok. I have mentioned this before: because of the date the body was found and the outdated clothing style it is very possible the UID was in jail, prison, or an institution and released with the clothing she came in with. I found Andrea Jean Coyle to similar to Buckskin Girl. She is not on the Namus rule outs (unless she goes by another name).

Andrea: Brown, Brown, 5'4'', 130#, Age 30 when missing, missing since 1978. Known to hitchhike, mental health issues including involuntary holds. Similar neck and facial moles/freckles to UID, poor photo quality though.
UID: Brown, Brown/Red, 5'6'', 130, age 18-26.

Andrea http://doenetwork.org/cases/2495dfpa.html

AJCoyle1.jpg jane_doe_3.jpg

AJCoyle.jpg jane_doe_4A.jpg

AJCoyle4.jpg

Ideas? Input?

She looks awfully close. If she born in 1948, she'd have been 33 when our UID died, which is quite a bit above the expected range, but everything else seems to fit.

She looks awfully close. If she born in 1948, she'd have been 33 when our UID died, which is quite a bit above the expected range, but everything else seems to fit.

Does the age automatically rule her out? Curious...Thanks.

I just re-read the doe network's profile on her, and it says the jacket is a distinctive hand made one with purple lining. Could that be from a pattern?

LE is said to have done a lot of research on the jacket; they feel it was hand made. The lining is purple; which I would associate more with a female. Wish I had better pics; I can't make out the writing on the collar; also can't tell if there's a tag cut out or if it's the leather

Buckskin jacket key to solving cold case

Ok. I have mentioned this before: because of the date the body was found and the outdated clothing style it is very possible the UID was in jail, prison, or an institution and released with the clothing she came in with. I found Andrea Jean Coyle to similar to Buckskin Girl. She is not on the Namus rule outs (unless she goes by another name)

While the shirt was out-dated; the pull over was not if she was going to biker rallies. I wish Paula had more of her photos online; we could buy hand made leather clothes all over; swap meets; hill climbs. The jacket IMO stayed popular with bikers because of the Easy Rider movie. Pretty sure I watched it at my BF's house on VHS. Easy Rider mag may have even given a copy of it with subscription.

Also see Carl's post below; Indian theme is common in that area.

I used to sew leather bags; vests; chaps & pants; it's not hard to see someone wearing something then go home & do the same thing.
The number of eyelets has to do with how the person put them in.

Done for the night...

Paula used to take pics for Easy Rider & Tattoo Magazine. I put BG's pics on my wall hoping she & another friend of mine would give input on the jacket; but they are both busy due to illnesses.

Photography by Pulsating Paula - Vintage Biker Photographs all taken by Pulsating Paula from the early 80s to mid 90s.

Handmade booth

Handmade top

handmade top

Hand made leather top & chaps
Paula used to take pics for Easy Rider & Tattoo Magazine. I put BG's pics on my wall hoping she & another friend of mine would give input on the jacket; but they are both busy due to illnesses.

Photography by Pulsating Paula - Vintage Biker Photographs all taken by Pulsating Paula from the early 80s to mid 90s.

Handmade booth

Handmade top

handmade top

Hand made leather top & chaps

Just an observation from going through yearbooks from all of the I-75 and I-70 Counties in Ohio, the Indian theme was not all that uncommon throughout the state.

Below is an example of the costumes worn by members of the marching band at nearby Piqua High School (only a few miles from where BG was found). Their team name is called the Indians.

PiquaHSMarchingBand_zpsa6960507-1_zpse4cac21c.jpg

I just re-read the doe network's profile on her, and it says the jacket is a distinctive hand made one with purple lining. Could that be from a pattern?

That's one of the things that made me start searching. I have doubts that it is "homemade" just because it looks hand stitched. I've not worked a lot with leather but those steel eyelets are not that easy to line up and install as nicely and uniformly as the BG's jacket was made.

I believe it was made by the company with the "Mexico" label that I posted earlier.

I sent a message to these guys "Logo's Database" to see if they can help determine anything more about that company.

I have a few other interesting prospects for this case.

I wonder if anyone else here has already given them any consideration.

BKLedford.jpg

Bonnie K. Ledford

Karen Dean Evan

clitheroe_dorothy.jpg

Dorothy Mildred Clitheroe

That's one of the things that made me start searching. I have doubts that it is "homemade" just because it looks hand stitched. I've not worked a lot with leather but those steel eyelets are not that easy to line up and install as nicely and uniformly as the BG's jacket was made.

I believe it was made by the company with the "Mexico" label that I posted earlier.

I sent a message to these guys "Logo's Database" to see if they can help determine anything more about that company.

I'm almost tempted to drag out the leather vest I made. Eyelets in leather are not hard; trust me.

I'd love to be able to see the stitching; but my sewing machines could sew leather too.

I think seeing the way the lining is sewn in & closed up would be the give away for me.

I'm almost tempted to drag out the leather vest I made. Eyelets in leather are not hard; trust me.

I'd love to be able to see the stitching; but my sewing machines could sew leather too.

I think seeing the way the lining is sewn in & closed up would be the give away for me.

I tried zooming in on the BG's jacket to see more detail. It is easy to see that the lining around the color is torn away... but I can't see the area where the label would have been because the collar is blocking that view.

It would be interesting to see if the jacket is still in evidence and whether or not there is any sign of a previous label in that area.

I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but in the '60s and '70s jackets like this were...not quite as common as dirt, but very popular. You could have bought one in just about any trading post, souvenir stand, and western clothing store in the country, right next to the displays of authentic Indian turquoise made in Korea and over one aisle from the tomtoms and cheap metal fake six-shooters. Probably half the 4-H'ers in the country (male and female) made one, and so did half the Girl Scouts and Campfire Girls going for their sewing badge. The only reason I didn't was that I couldn't afford the materials, so I made mine of corduroy.

Somebody asked where the patterns were distributed. McCalls and Simplicity were and still are national brands.

We didn't have the internet back then, but we did have Sears, Penney's, Alden's, and a host of other catalogues to order from. I don't know whether you could get a jacket like this from them or not -- but I'd be surprised if you couldn't.

The two things interesting about this one are that it seems to be rather well made, and by 1981 their popularity had died down, even in the West. Which makes me think the most productive thing to do might be to publicize it and see if a relative or schoolmate or something might recognize it.

Could the patterns and the materials have been sold at fabric stores, sewing stores, or maybe dime stores back then?

What about ads in sewing magazines? The patterns could have been ordered from a sewing magazine ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini