Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, try this:

When you click on the Google Doc in the link below, you should see the following:

On the left: the photo of Patricia Salamandyk that is on NamUs
On the right: a photo of Buckskin Girl with a light gray, angled box behind it. Please do not move or resize the photos.

Step 1: Click anywhere on the light gray box around BG. You should see a blue outline now around the gray box. The gray box is actually just the same photo of Patricia but flipped and set to transparent. We'll change that next.

Step 2: In the center of the gray toolbar at the top click "Image Options" You should see a menu pop up on the right side (Transparency, Contrast, etc.)

Step 3: You can slowly drag the transparency bar back and forth to see the image of Patricia overlayed with the image of BG.

NOTE: If you do not want to look at the morgue photo do NOT access this document.

Hope this works! Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11U8k3tnt5uw5GCDxRO-WdWgzt-Nln0XaxIHSw6Rp5bc/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't work for me but seeing the side by side is enough to convince me. She has a mole/blemish in the exact same spot on her left jaw too!

Didn't work for me but seeing the side by side is enough to convince me. She has a mole/blemish in the exact same spot on her left jaw too!

Yeah, there's so much if you compare them side by side. They both have that line (which I'm told may be a scar) on the bottom of the lower lip. Their lips are the same width, length, and shape. Their lips are both the same distance from bottom of chin and same distance from bottom of nose. The line you can see in the swelling going up the side of the cheek in the PM photo is exactly where Patricia's jawline is. The spacing of the eyes in relation to each other matches, and the spacing of the eyes in relation to bottom of nose matches as well. Honestly, there is just so much.

Irish, I wish Could see your overlay. Patricia has three distinctive moles on one side of her face that form a triangle and I think I see that same thing on the side of BG's face. Forming a triangle.

It may have been because I had it open. I can send you screenshots via PM. I'm just trying to share it in ways that are sensitive to those who may not want to view it.

I see a huge resemblance and I think she should definitely be submitted (although she already was IIRC! Wondering why we have not heard back?) My personal gut feeling is, it's not her, but my gut is not scientific. I'd like to see her looked at more closely and to hear a response from either side.

I see a huge resemblance and I think she should definitely be submitted (although she already was IIRC! Wondering why we have not heard back?) My personal gut feeling is, it's not her, but my gut is not scientific. I'd like to see her looked at more closely and to hear a response from either side.

They may be looking at it. Sometimes DNA just takes a long time as labs get backed up, people go on vacation more in summer, etc.
I can't imagine it's not her, honestly, but I respect there may be differences of opinion. But yeah, definitely if they just said "it's her," "it's not her" or "we don't know yet but we're actively looking at it," I'd feel a lot better! :)

Can we get Carl's opinion on this? He has the eye for these comparisons.

We can always submit it through here too. At least then we'll know it wasn't caught up in someone's spam filter:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Files/Law-Enforcement/Investigator/Unidentified-Remains/Doe-(24)

I sent 4 inquiries, I'm certain two out of the four were received - the one to NamUs and the one to the RCMP. The ones I didn't get an acknowledgment for were from the Miami County Sheriff's office and coroner emails. If you want to send a tip by this means, feel free, I would just make it clear that these four other entities have also been contacted in regards to this tip as well so they don't repeat any of the inquiries or research, etc.

I sent 4 inquiries, I'm certain two out of the four were received - the one to NamUs and the one to the RCMP. The ones I didn't get an acknowledgment for were from the Miami County Sheriff's office and coroner emails. If you want to send a tip by this means, feel free, I would just make it clear that these four other entities have also been contacted in regards to this tip as well so they don't repeat any of the inquiries or research, etc.

Nope. If you are certain 2 of 4 were received that is certainly good enough for me.

Yeah, there's so much if you compare them side by side. They both have that line (which I'm told may be a scar) on the bottom of the lower lip. Their lips are the same width, length, and shape. Their lips are both the same distance from bottom of chin and same distance from bottom of nose. The line you can see in the swelling going up the side of the cheek in the PM photo is exactly where Patricia's jawline is. The spacing of the eyes in relation to each other matches, and the spacing of the eyes in relation to bottom of nose matches as well. Honestly, there is just so much.

The bottom lip part really stands out to me. I wish someone would colorize BG's picture, I just now noticed how hard it is to tell the shape of her lips because the color is so one dimensional.

ETA: the very deep set eyelid crease as well. And I see the triangle moles as well.

Death can make a face look Unrecognizable and so can a horrible beating.
Makes me angry and sick imagining her last moments on earth. Let's bring this to justice.

The bottom lip part really stands out to me. I wish someone would colorize BG's picture, I just now noticed how hard it is to tell the shape of her lips because the color is so one dimensional.

ETA: the very deep set eyelid crease as well. And I see the triangle moles as well.

This apparently allows you to colorize a black and white image but I'm not nearly techie enough to understand how to do it, lol. I think you need something called iPython for starters... https://github.com/richzhang/colorization

We know that it was submitted officially by someone here in April at least. So if we're still waiting by September maybe we go to Plan B. Maybe we find a journalist who can write a "Could this be the answer to the mystery?" story as happened with Grateful Doe/Jason Callahan.

I thought I heard somewhere that they are doing hair and nail isotopes next. The only problem is that if she ran away 9 years prior I doubt those will be much help :(

Even though I don't feel Buckskin Girl is Patricia, I do think she should be submitted again since there seems to have been no response. I know that the emails seem to have been received, but a response would clarify it so much. I would be delighted if we could get a journalist to cover the "Could this be her?" angle, but man, that'd be tough. I have sent emails to multiple online news stations of all kinds, and none of them have produced any articles. Even after the pollen testing results broke in late April-early May, none of the places I had emailed beforehand published the story. I completely understand that they are entitled to do whatever articles they want, I just really wish everyone was as concerned as we are at giving Buckskin Girl her name back!

An article written in early May indicated the isotope analysis (from the hair and nails, yes--they are not doing tooth or bone isotopes) results would be released 6 weeks from then. That time has passed, so I'm assuming it's a bit late and will come out soon. Apparently they go back around a year, which is helpful of course but not as helpful as tooth analysis. If she is Patricia, then the isotopes could maybe help indicate where she spent the last year of her life, maybe help find her killer.

My guess is that tooth examination would have required an exhumation where as they may have had some hairs and fingernail clippings in evidence storage already to be able to use. So I guess it does make sense. Still, frustrating from our end!

If Patricia has been ruled out, it would take someone ten seconds to reply to my email and say so or update NamUs, which they could do even though she's from Canada. It may be out of the ordinary to do that, but if they want to save themselves from having their time wasted with repetitive tips and inquiries, it would be a prudent move.

If Patricia has been ruled out, it would take someone ten seconds to reply to my email and say so or update NamUs, which they could do even though she's from Canada. It may be out of the ordinary to do that, but if they want to save themselves from having their time wasted with repetitive tips and inquiries, it would be a prudent move.

And you just showcased what can only be a huge frustration for LE; so many crimes, so few of them to solve them.

Springrain: I don't think Patricia is our gal either, but admittedly my skill is not visual recognition. The best I've seen at this is our own Carl, artist extraordinaire.
I can't compare ears (the best gauge I know), or her distinctive profile.

My guess is that tooth examination would have required an exhumation where as they may have had some hairs and fingernail clippings in evidence storage already to be able to use. So I guess it does make sense. Still, frustrating from our end!

I think that was probably why, and also tooth examination is a whole lot more pricy. I still wish they could get the extra money, though. I wouldn't mind starting an online fundraiser, but I don't know how much traction that would gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734