Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing this! Good to see the results. Did they provide a map, like they did for the Allenstown victims?
The results read like what we already suspected based on the pollen testing- it paints a picture of her recent travels and whereabouts, but does not tell us where she was born and raised. I think we need to go further back in her history, IMHO.

The only place I've found this news on was the page of Dr. Elizabeth Murray. No map there, but hopefully one will be released soon. I was surprised to learn that BG had been frequently travelling back and forth to the Northeast and OK/TX, rather than just going there one time. But yeah, we didn't learn all that much beside that. I really, really wish they could do tooth and bone isotope testing, but I think that would require an exhumation as Irish_Eyes said, plus it would be more costly. I really, really hope they do it, though.

The only place I've found this news on was the page of Dr. Elizabeth Murray. No map there, but hopefully one will be released soon. I was surprised to learn that BG had been frequently travelling back and forth to the Northeast and OK/TX, rather than just going there one time. But yeah, we didn't learn all that much beside that. I really, really wish they could do tooth and bone isotope testing, but I think that would require an exhumation as Irish_Eyes said, plus it would be more costly. I really, really hope they do it, though.

I hope they do it, too. It really sounds like she may have traveled some sort of circuit-rodeos, fairs, concerts or circus, as someone mentioned. I don't think she was an aimless hitch hiker because she was clean and well groomed, but I suppose anything is possible.

Carl, you are so polite. : )
But really, it's that jacket. It's bugging me. I would have thought she was in a hippie time warp if I saw her in it 1981, unless I were in ranch country.

I agree. I have always wondered if she was detained in prison or on a mental hold for several years, then released with the clothing she can in with...seemed dated to me.

I wonder if there were any particular camp programs (horse riding, whatever) in the ok/TX area that she could have worked at in summer/spring break... could be a religious camp too...

This article has more information - so exciting! https://www.ksl.com/?sid=40545046&n...m-makes-breakthrough-in-1981-ohio-murder-case

So, check it out, according to the article she was traveling a lot in those 12 months. However, she was in North Texas/South OK at least twice. Once for about 2 months. One of her visits may have been longer because it coincided with when she got her hair cut so they couldn't go back further than that. That made me think it could possibly be summer vacation from college or something. And maybe the other visit was winter break. But with college I'd expect it to be more like staying in one area for 4 months, then home, then back to same area, then home and I'm not sure the pattern was that clear from this article. Also worth pointing out that the pollen analysis that said visited Mexico or Southeast US could include North Texas as well as per the article.

This article has more information - so exciting! https://www.ksl.com/?sid=40545046&n...m-makes-breakthrough-in-1981-ohio-murder-case

So, check it out, according to the article she was traveling a lot in those 12 months. However, she was in North Texas/South OK at least twice. Once for about 2 months. One of her visits may have been longer because it coincided with when she got her hair cut so they couldn't go back further than that. That made me think it could possibly be summer vacation from college or something. And maybe the other visit was winter break. But with college I'd expect it to be more like staying in one area for 4 months, then home, then back to same area, then home and I'm not sure the pattern was that clear from this article. Also worth pointing out that the pollen analysis that said visited Mexico or Southeast US could include North Texas as well as per the article.

GOOD article. Thank you for posting. I'll share it to the page tomorrow. 1:16 am here, and I got little sleep last night. Should get myself ready for bed, lol.

I was very pleased to see they had a nice picture of her grave. Wonderful to see. I also did not know the jacket had three-quarter length sleeves, although I suppose that doesn't change all that much. Staying there twice for at least two months each time...I don't know quite what to make of that! I agree that it seems like it could be a lengthy winter break and summer vacation.

This part of the article, which quoted the guy who found Buckskin Girl's body, really choked me up:

[FONT=&quot]"As he stood alongside the road where he made the gruesome discovery as a young farmer more than a third of a century ago, Bridenbaugh said, "You know, it's time for closure. And I believe they're probably going to solve it here pretty soon."[/FONT]
beacon.gif

JVoCRlF.png

Graphic taken from news clip.

Although the data suggests Jane Doe was traveling most of her last year, she was in the north Texas region twice, staying there for at least two months each time. That leads to the possibility she once lived in that region or had close ties there.

It's possible the first of her stays in that region was much longer than two months. Evidence of that visit was detected in isotopes at the very end of the strands of her hair, at the point where the hair was trimmed off decades ago. It's possible she'd been living in that area for many months, perhaps years, but the evidence was lost in Jane Doe's last haircut.

The new evidence supports an earlier finding by a different laboratory that studied pollen in the victim's clothing. In the buckskin coat, the analysis found pollen that is characteristic of plants in northern Mexico and the southwestern United States. That area includes north Texas.

Was going to share, but who in the world is going to click on that?
None of my friends. Wish they made the default pic for the link her recon, not some lab pic everyone is running from.
JMO.

The isotope analysis results have been released! I saw them on the Facebook page of Dr. Elizabeth Murray, Forensic Anthropologist. I shared it to the Who Was Buckskin Girl? page as well. They are very interesting!

"The latest testing on her hair shows a chronology that includes travel (several trips) to north-central Texas and/or southern Oklahoma in the year prior to her death, as well as time spent in "cooler climates" (which could be the Northeastern US, as the pollen studies indicated). These stable isotope tests on hair show the same type of chronology as drug studies might, but provide a geographic history based on groundwater isotopes that we incorporate into our bodies from food/drink we consume (rather than showing a history/chronology of substance abuse). This 'Buckskin Girl' may have been reported missing in the Northeast US (if that's where she lived), rather than the Southwest US (where she was traveling) -- but someone in either region may know something that could help."

So, sounds like she spent a lot of time travelling to a very specific area in the Southwest. She had a personal reason to be there. Wonder if it could have been for work, to see somebody...I'll have to think about this for an hour or so, let my brainstorming start. What do y'all think about this?

Want to say that I'm really happy seeing this, also wish they'd exhume her, I think a complete picture is needed. We should be very proud of ourselves for suggesting they do the testing, without what they've done, they wouldn't be this far.

BG post Dr. Elizabeth Murray, Forensic Anthropologist added 4 new photos. July 7 at 2:37pm
Here's a followup to the so-called "Buckskin Girl" case from 1981 -- the unknown young woman whose body was found in Miami County, Ohio in April of 1981. PLEASE share this with your FB friends in the Southwest, especially north-central Texas and southern Oklahoma, as we have a new lead that she spent time in that specific area during the year before she was killed (so, during the year 1980). This woman was 18-26 years of age, 130 pounds and 5'6", and had perfect teeth -- other than a single crown on a front tooth (indicative, perhaps, of a chipped tooth, so she must have had the financial resources to have good dental work). Her hair was in braids, as depicted below, at the time she was found, and she was wearing the handmade jacket and unusual sweater shown in the images. Her body was found by the side of the road within a day or so after she was killed.

A few months ago I reported on pollen studies that suggested this Jane Doe was likely from the Northeastern US, but had also traveled to the Southwest US or Mexico (or at least her distinctive clothing had been in or was from those areas). The latest testing on her hair shows a chronology that includes travel (several trips) to north-central Texas and/or southern Oklahoma in the year prior to her death, as well as time spent in "cooler climates" (which could be the Northeastern US, as the pollen studies indicated). These stable isotope tests on hair show the same type of chronology as drug studies might, but provide a geographic history based on groundwater isotopes that we incorporate into our bodies from food/drink we consume (rather than showing a history/chronology of substance abuse). This "Buckskin Girl" may have been reported missing in the Northeast US (if that's where she lived), rather than the Southwest US (where she was traveling) -- but someone in either region may know something that could help.

These old cases are running out of time, as loved ones and friends who might know these unknown persons grow old and pass away. Our ability to collect DNA on the relatives of missing persons is likewise time-sensitive. So please consider sharing with FB friends in the Southwest and Northeast areas of the US. Thanks for your help! For more information, visit the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs); her case profile is: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4790 It's a mystery to me as to why no one seems to be looking for this young lady. I hope that someone out there is and will find her. THANKS for your help!

This is why I was hoping for a bone/teeth isotopes. Her history cuts off with her hair :(

image.pngimage.png
Now that we have a more clearly defined isotope map, this opens up the possibility of other theories. According to the article posted by IrishEyes, it seems as though the investigators believe that it is highly possible that BG could have originated from this region, the very ends of her hair indicate she was in this region for a good period of time up to a year before her death, they just can't say because her hair was cut. So, this isotope map includes Waco. The map I have posted as a side by side marks a place called Elk, Texas. Not quite sure if it falls into the isotopes or not. This is where Mt. Carmel Ranch was located. This is the site of the Waco siege in 1993. However, prior to that siege there were power struggles within the "church". Kind of reminds me of the Lebaron situation. It was in 1981 that a failed wannabe rockstar named David Koresh came from Hollywood and settled on the ranch. He quickly gained influence. Dissolved marriages, and committed other atrocities, only he was allowed to be married, fathered children etc.

If this map really does line up, I wonder if BG had lived here before Koresh came along and perhaps left as he came along because she didn't want to be subjected to his Abuse. Perhaps her parents were there and were sucked in by Koresh and didn't report her missing and later died in the siege or in another confrontation there in 1987.

The link below has the history but probably not enough detail to pin anything down. But it's a start. The theory may be way out there, but maybe not. At least it's a theory based on a location possibly within the isotopes.

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2045.html

So her hair went back to roughly late April, 1980 give or take a bit. and the first two months of that hair show N. Texas some time around April-June 1980. then traveling elsewhere through 1980, and probably returning to Texas sometime around February 1981? Then maybe leaving again late April and ending up traveling through Piqua area? I thought it made it sound last time that she had been in Mexico/western US right before she died, right?

This is why I was hoping for a bone/teeth isotopes. Her history cuts off with her hair :(

I'll be surprised if they do not exhume her. I think they're going to try to target the area; if that comes up empty I feel they'll take the last step. They really need to have a complete isotope picture.

I might have missed this, but do we know where BG was at during the LAST two months of her life?

The video wasn't working for me yesterday. Today, it worked fine. I'm so happy that they got a clearer photo of her burial. I posted the clearer picture of her burial HERE. I also got two pics of her jacket, HERE and HERE. I'm posting the links to Imgur because I'm not a techie and I have a bad computer.

The video wasn't working for me yesterday. Today, it worked fine. I'm so happy that they got a clearer photo of her burial. I posted the clearer picture of her burial HERE. I also got two pics of her jacket, HERE and HERE. I'm posting the links to Imgur because I'm not a techie and I have a bad computer.

Thanks so much! Haven't had a chance to watch the video, still working on updating her album. Have to say her jacket looks pristine from being as old as it is. It looks like they just took it off of her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734