Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i scanned through the thread and checked the namus list but please shout if this is familiar territory.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1dfnd.html Barbara Cotton is younger than estimates and can't tell about the freckles/reddish tint. Height is also a little off, and I realize that there is a day drive distance.

But, here are the similarites that make this a strong possible:

Barbara had excellent teeth. So did BJD
Barbara's left ear was lower than her right. Looks like BJD has the same from photos.
Barbara had a distinguishing mole on her upper right chest. So did BJD.

We do know BJD was transported. Thirteen days would be plenty of time to get from ND to Miami County. The height difference can easily be accounted for by innaccuracies in measurements (on either end). And Barbara's disappearance sounds like an abduction which would fit.

I think impacted wisdom teeth also lean on the side of BJD being younger.

Just my humble opinion, but I think the similarities are worth a look. Anyone in contact with LE?

Lisa Jane Borden
Missing since October 10, 1979 from Big Spring, Howard County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 15, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar on left hand, as well as screws and metal in left hand from an injury sustained in an automobile accident.
Fingerprints: Not available
Dentals: Not available
DNA: Pending (sample submitted in 2007)

Circumstances Of Disappearance
Borden was last seen by her family on October 10, 1979 in Big Spring, Texas.
She called her relatives later in the month from California.
She was last known to be in Lodi, San Joaquin County. Her boyfriend sent her a plane ticket; it was never retrieved by Borden. She is a known hitchhiker.

An unknown friend told Lisa's family that she was in Amarillo working as a waitress, but gave no further details. She was reported missing by her sister.

Links:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/borden_lisa.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/14dftx.html
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...TXCH&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Attachments

• Lisa Borden.jpg
    Lisa Borden.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 75
  • LISA JANE BORDEN.jpg
    LISA JANE BORDEN.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Ohio UID drawings.jpg
    Ohio UID drawings.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 41
Buckskin Girl didn't have the medical hardware in her left hand.

CarlK90245,

I wasn't sure how noticeable the implant would be, I thought maybe nothing other then scars if it was healed. I notice that Borden and the UID had scars on the left wrists. I'm not sure if you'd know but was the UID fully check for medical hardware? Also I just saw the similarities in the brows, the large eyes and forehead.

-----------

I have done some colour reconstruction of UID with the clothing and cleaned up the hair. Its the first UID reconstruction I've done so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• recon 1.jpg
    recon 1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Recon 2.jpg
    Recon 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Recon 3 Face only.jpg
    Recon 3 Face only.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Recon 4 Face and neck.jpg
    Recon 4 Face and neck.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 36
  • Recon 5 B&W.jpg
    Recon 5 B&W.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 35
CarlK90245,

I wasn't sure how noticeable the implant would be, I thought maybe nothing other then scars if it was healed. I notice that Borden and the UID had scars on the left wrists. I'm not sure if you'd know but was the UID fully check for medical hardware? Also I just saw the similarities in the brows, the large eyes and forehead.
-----------
I have done some colour reconstruction of UID with the clothing and cleaned up the hair. Its the first UID reconstruction I've done so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

That is very unlikely to have been something that the MedExaminer would miss. Also, Lisa Borden was a few inches taller then Buckskin Girl. I've seen discrepancies before though.

As for tips on photoshopping techniques, it's pretty tough to give pointers without being seen. All I can say is it just takes alot of practice and a high-quality photo-editing software package. I use Corel Photopaint, but Adobe Photoshop is what most people use.

:bump: Bumping my own reconstructions forward, since they have been buried several pages back.

OK ... Here she is in her buckskin jacket. ... and with the right colored sweater.

f63fa215-a2d2-4e58-a361-16efde509286.jpg
8e3c6674-1354-408f-b205-44eff8336e7d.jpg

When you look at Buckskin Girl's side-view photo, you can see that she has a much ruddier and more stern look than what is depicted in most reconstructions that I've seen.

I think she has sort of a Katherine Hepburn look, and I tried to portray that in my reconstruction.

Sharon Lynn Pretorius
Missing since September 28, 1973 from Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: April 23, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 135 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long, brown hair, worn in braids; blue eyes.
Clothing: A yellow long-sleeve sweater, blue jeans and gym shoes.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Pretorius was last seen she left her home on Cornell Drive in the Dayton View neighborhood in Dayton, Ohio on September 28, 1973.

She had attended her classes at Fairview High School, where she was a freshman, gone home, had a piano lesson, and left to collect money in the neighborhood for her Journal Herald newspaper route.

Procedures at the time prohibited Pretorius's family from reporting her as a missing child until 24 hours had passed. Investigators believe she did not run away and was probably abducted and murdered. A witness saw a girl matching Pretorius's description struggling with a man near a car at the corner of Cornell and Philadelphia Drive on the day she disappeared, but the man has never been identified and the girl was not confirmed to be Pretorius.
Authorities followed up many leads in her disappearance over the years, but her case remains a mystery.

Links: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2051dfoh.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pretorius_sharon.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7424/0/

-----
Accroding to NamUs as of date entered June 09, 2010: DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway.
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later.
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available.

Attachments

• Sharon Lynn Pretorius .jpg
    Sharon Lynn Pretorius .jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Ohio UID drawings.jpg
    Ohio UID drawings.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 40
Sharon Pretorius has already been ruled out, though she is not listed in Buckskin Girl's NamUs exclusions list.

one Reconstruction with reshaped chin, more freckles, more red tones on face and longer hair

Attachments

• Recon 7.jpg
    Recon 7.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 96
Reconstruction with eyes colour and B&W

Attachments

• Recon 8.jpg
    Recon 8.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Recon 9.jpg
    Recon 9.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 35
Wondering does anyone know what side of the road she was found on? Could that maybe lead to a likelihood which direction she was traveling from/to?

Wondering does anyone know what side of the road she was found on? Could that maybe lead to a likelihood which direction she was traveling from/to?

That's a good question. I was trying to figure that out a couple of weeks ago.

All it says in NamUs is Greenlee Road. But there is a N Greenlee Road and a S Greenlee Road. The killer probably turned onto Greenlee from Arthur Road (718), which crosses under hwy 75 (a major North/South interstate). But hwy 75 doesn't exit onto Arthur Road. You have to make several turns after exiting hwy 75 from either direction.

Highway 70 (a major East/West interstate) is also nearby, but Greenlee Road would not seem to be a logical dumping area for someone heading East or West on I-70. You have to go quite a ways off the beaten path from I-70 to get to Greenlee Road to dump a body.

I see what you mean.

I've been trying to look at some of the other angles people here suggested also. Such as whether the jacket and braids were because she worked around horses, or was a historical interpreter (which doesn't fit with the turtleneck and jeans).

I came across this on a website about Ralph Lauren, which I found interesting:

1978 Ralph Lauren introduced the casual/sophisticated "prairie look", denim skirts worn over layers of white cotton petticoats, fringed buckskin jackets and full sleeved soft blouses.

I'm guessing this was a fall collection? If she was from the midwest in the days before the internet, trends used to take longer to catch on here. What my cousins on the East Coast were wearing one year didn't usually come into style here until the next year. So maybe this was just an outfit someone made for her because it was trendy at the time?

Trendy clothes, exceptional hygiene and physical fitness....she seems to have been someone who was well cared for up until this point...hard to reconcile that with the fact that no one seems to know who she is.

What about Mary Jo Lee Long, age 17?

http://charleyproject.org/cases/l/long_mary.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6307/0/

Charley Project updated her case yesterday (9-20-11) and has a date of last contact in Austen, Minnesota as December 27, 1981, with a note that she was seen two months later in Gardena, California on February 22, 1981. These dates conflict; perhaps she was last seen in MN in December 1980? NamUs has her last date of contact as December 27, 1981 from CA.

If her last date of contact was actually February 22, 1981, it might be worth a look since BG was found April 24, 1981. There is no DNA available for MJLL but she does bear some resemblance.

MJLL's stats
5 feet 5 inches - BG was 5 feet 4 inches to 5 feet 6 inches
115 lbs - BG was 130
Both had brown hair, brown eyes. MJLL's hair is definitely long enough to braid in BG's style and both girls have thin, plucked eyebrows.
The space between their eyebrows, their high foreheads and prominent noses and chins look alike to me.

I was looking at those two cases a couple of weeks ago when Mary's photo became available. I was trying to convince myself that she was BG, but ultimately I passed on it - probably due to the dates.

However, there is nothing there that says to me that it definitely isn't her, and it's probably worth checking out just to be sure. I just can't reconcile in my own mind that her overall look just doesn't look right.

The CA DOJ website lists Mary's DLC as 22-Feb-1982

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=1861125600164

I just got on the phone with Det. Todd Clennon (not Clemen as indicated in NamUs) to see if he could resolve the issue.

He indicated that the February 82 date is poorly documented and unreliable, but the the December 1981 date is pretty solid. He says that her whereabouts prior to that date are pretty well-established.

He said that she moved to Gardena CA in Dec 1981 to live with a "low-functioning" father. She had a boyfriend and a brother who lived in the area also. Sometime in 1982, the brother came to the father and asked if he had seen her lately, and the father replied that he had not. The brother suggested to the father that they file a missing person report and the father replied that he already did. However, detectives in Minnesota were unable to find evidence of a missing person report filed in Gardena. The February 82 date is an estimate based on the brother's memory.

I mentioned the Buckskin Girl to him. At first, he said that he had already compared the two cases, but it turned out that he was talking about the Blue Bandanna Girl (who has since been ID'd as Paula Beverly Davis). When I mentioned the April 81 date for Buckskin Girl, he indicated that he is very certain that Mary's whereabouts were accounted for at that time.

He also said that LE in California has given him a list of possibles, but he hasn't had the opportunity to review all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member