Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now I come to my friend, and.....potentially..... the crazy that gets me shown the door here. She has been working with other people around the world and with all kinds of technology to gather EVPs - Electronic Voice Phenomena. We had never discussed this case until about two weeks ago when she mentioned that she had found the grave site and done a few sessions out there. I'm not much of a believer in EVPs - our brains look for patterns in chaos - but she had a few that really made my hair stand on end. In one of the first sessions she asked BG her name. "Bev" was the soft but clear response. In a later session she asked if Bev was her name and "Yes, yes" was clear. I haven't heard all of the sessions she has done at the grave site, but she has told me that when she asked what happened BG responded that she was hiding in the house but he found her, she fought hard, and she got to where she was found by van. Her most recent session was on the 27th. I got to hear that one today. My friend asked where she had gotten the buckskin jacket from. The answer was, "Bought it private." My friend has reached out to Detective Huffman who has set up a meeting with her to hear everything this Friday. He is very open-minded and like so many of the local detectives familiar with the case (the police force paid for her burial and the detective assigned to the case at the time gave a eulogy at the grave side service) he wants to find the answers we are all after too. So, take what you will from any of this.

Oh, and as an aside, I saw Edward Edwards name tossed around somewhere in the 30s pages. He was not from Troy, Miami County, Ohio. He was from Troy Township, Geauga County, Ohio. That's north east of here between Columbus and Akron.

Welcome to Websleuths! Thanks for letting us know the area. I do wonder why she was dumped there when there were other spots she may not have been found. Please let us know more from your friend. I'm curious if she asked where BG is originally from

Thanks for the insight.
Is it possible Buck Skin Girl was European? Sorry if this has been hypothesized before.
Also, I still don't see Patricia Salamandyk on the rule out list on NamUs. I know she was suggested awhile ago, so I looked her up. Some of her freckles/moles even match up to the pm photo, and some of her facial features appear to be retouched. I'm no expert, but I think she's a strong candidate.
Here is a link to a story about Patricia Salamandyk last year. I noticed the sister has a few photos. I wish folks would actually post more pictures of their missing loved one so we can get a better idea of what they looked like at different angles, though I realize with some of the older cases they may not have many photos. (sorry if the hyper link doesn't work I'm still learning)
www.sprucegroveexaminer.com/2015/07/17/looking-for-patricia-salamandyk-40-years-later

Thanks for the link to the article. I wish it said more like who she was cutting school with and what they were doing. Something obviously happened that day, whether she was picked up by the wrong person, fight with BF or even a friend that went bad, a drug over dose (if it applies); could be many things. I doubt she is BG; but the only way to know would be to get a rule out. She would not appear on BG's ruled out list at NamUs if ruled out.

http://cais.uga.edu/analytical_services/prices.php I found these costs for isotope analysis.

Also, apparently people nearby still haven't heard of it, according to this Reddit user... https://www.reddit.com/r/dayton/com...ane_doe_buckskin_girl_did_you_know_me/d0iuh45

Is the place even reputable?

You know, after the case in Australia with the little girl killed and put in a suitcase and her mom killed and found in a forest I have lost a little bit of faith in isotope testing as the results were far from accurate. Are these types of test usually accurate? Or was that just a rarity in it being so wrong with the cases I mentioned?

Not familiar with the case you mention. It would depend on who is doing it

Someone else mentioned Janet Kramer awhile back. She doesn't appear on the rule out list. She also fits the description and bears a resemblance to Buckskin Girl. Though she disappeared years before this UID was discovered, she is listed as a voluntary runaway, and I think it's more plausible in this case, because of the fact she left of her own accord and may have been living a new life when this all went down. Does anyone know why she hasn't been ruled out yet if she's been suggested? Like I said, I'm a little new at this, so I'm not sure where else to look to find those who have been eliminated other than the rule out list on Namus. Thank you!

Hi everyone! I am very heartened to see how many people are still thinking about this young woman and working to identify her. I have spent the whole day reading all 72 pages of this thread.

Except for the 20 minutes I spent on Greenlee Rd this afternoon.

I live five miles from where her body was found. I did not live here in Troy until the mid-90's, but I stumbled across her grave in Riverside Cemetery a few years back and have been interested in her case every since. That interest has been ramped up recently by the work a friend is doing, but I'll get to that in a moment. First, I'd like to offer some observations about the area where she was found, and on the population and culture of the general area.

Let me begin with I70 and I75. I70 isn't far on a map from the St RT 55 exit one would have to take to get to Greenlee. The reality is that it is 15-20 minutes. This strikes me as an odd amount of time to take for a detour when you're looking to dump a body. I70 in either direction around the I75 interchange has many exits with little to no traffic even today. If it was a trucker on I70 it would be much easier to dump her somewhere between Columbus and Huber Heights or between Dayton and Englewood IMO. Heading north on I75 makes Troy a little more likely. Vandalia is the next big town north of Dayton, but it is also the exit for the airport. Too much traffic there. Next comes West Milton and Tipp City, but Tipp City especially is an older town and fairly well developed. No place to go there either. The second Tipp exit is exceedingly rural in appearance from the highway, even today except for the huge car and RV dealership which wasn't there in '81. Turn right and you're heading into Troy. Turn left and you're heading into a whole lot of wooded nothing on a dark stretch of road. So, then we come to the exit in question. It's exit 73, Troy/Ludlow Falls. In '81 there would have been a motel and a restaurant to the right. I think the Shell station was there too. Keep going and you end up in town. Turn left and you are headed toward Greenlee. In '81 there was probably at least one housing development going up within half a mile of the highway, but once past that it is nothing but farmland for miles. I mean, literally, there is nothing as far as the eye can see but fields and the occasional farmhouse tucked in at the front corner of the property. Until, that is, you get to Greenlee Rd. About half a mile before the right hand turn onto Greenlee there begins a row of cookie-cutter ranch houses all built in the 70s. I just can't imagine this looking like an ideal place to turn. There were far better less populated turns to take a mile or so back. One of those turns is Horseshoe Bend. It isn't actually a turn though. You sort of bear to the right. It's so little of a turn that it isn't enough to make your turn signal click off. It comes up fast too. I used to drive out Horseshoe Bend every week and I would still almost miss it sometimes. I nearly did today. There might be 10-15 houses before Greenlee. I would guess most of those were there in '81, but they are all concentrated at the bear off at 55. It doesn't take long for you to be in nothing but farm fields again. Even today, standing in the approximate spot where BG was found, I could only see 7 houses, and they were all new builds. Let me just say, I do not feel there was any way whatsoever a semi could have gotten back there. They are still narrow country roads and would have been worse in '81. In fact, there are signs on Horseshoe Bend saying semis and school buses can only go so far. All of this leads to my first hypothesis: the killer was local. Or he at least was familiar with the area. Greenlee just isn't some place you stumble across. I know what it looks like on a map, but the reality is that you aren't going to find it if you don't know it. Or if you do happen to find it you might have a tough time getting yourself turned around and back out in a timely fashion. So, this brings me to the actual dump sight. As I was standing there today taking in everything around me, considering what would have been there and what would not have been I turned and put my back to the ditch where she was found. It took a second for me to realize what I was looking at, but it has been mentioned here: Brukner. Brukner Nature Center is a 164 acre privately funded preserve that has nothing but a farmer's field between it and where BG was found. The interpretive building was built in 1974. There are a few miles of trails, but mostly what they do is wildlife education and rehabilitation. There has been a great deal of speculation that BG was not local. Brukner uses interns. I'm not sure for how long, but I have a call in to the executive director to find out how long the program has been in place. There is a house on the property as well where the out-of-state interns live. This is, I feel, a plausible explanation as to her physical condition and her "ruddy" complexion. It could also be why no one locally is looking for her. There are all kinds of scenarios, of course, but I felt I would be remiss if I didn't mention the possible Brukner connection.

So, I'd like to address some of the rodeo/biker/cult/Amish theories. No rodeo comes very close to here that I'm aware of, and, again, I feel very strongly that the killer was local or had been at one time. Motorcycles are common enough but you're more likely to find tractors. Lol!! There is a rather large population of German Baptists in the area, but the Amish are very few and far between this far south. Troy is deeply conservative, and has a great deal of very old money in it. I was told that at one time Troy had more millionaires per capita than any other city or town in the US. The next time you go into a deli look at the meat slicer and see if it doesn't say Hobart on it. The Hobart brothers are from Troy. If you've ever flown on a plane with a propeller, it was probably a Hartzell propeller. The Hartzells are from Troy. The next time you see someone doing a quick weld during a Nascar race, he probably went to the Hobart welding school. It's half a mile from my house. Despite this town only having about 25,000 people in it every Republican presidential candidate since H.W. has spoken here during election season (Well, except for McCain, but he sent Palin.). This may be part of the reason this case hasn't gotten a lot of publicity. Old rich people don't like untidy things like unsolved murders. It's a caustic thing to say, yes, but it's also true.

So, now I come to my friend, and.....potentially..... the crazy that gets me shown the door here. She has been working with other people around the world and with all kinds of technology to gather EVPs - Electronic Voice Phenomena. We had never discussed this case until about two weeks ago when she mentioned that she had found the grave site and done a few sessions out there. I'm not much of a believer in EVPs - our brains look for patterns in chaos - but she had a few that really made my hair stand on end. In one of the first sessions she asked BG her name. "Bev" was the soft but clear response. In a later session she asked if Bev was her name and "Yes, yes" was clear. I haven't heard all of the sessions she has done at the grave site, but she has told me that when she asked what happened BG responded that she was hiding in the house but he found her, she fought hard, and she got to where she was found by van. Her most recent session was on the 27th. I got to hear that one today. My friend asked where she had gotten the buckskin jacket from. The answer was, "Bought it private." My friend has reached out to Detective Huffman who has set up a meeting with her to hear everything this Friday. He is very open-minded and like so many of the local detectives familiar with the case (the police force paid for her burial and the detective assigned to the case at the time gave a eulogy at the grave side service) he wants to find the answers we are all after too. So, take what you will from any of this.

Oh, and as an aside, I saw Edward Edwards name tossed around somewhere in the 30s pages. He was not from Troy, Miami County, Ohio. He was from Troy Township, Geauga County, Ohio. That's north east of here between Columbus and Akron.

THANK YOU FOR SUCH USEFUL INFORMATION! I have one disagreement. Although everything you said about the location of the dump site in relation to a truck driver makes sense, I would still not be quick to rule out a truck driver. I live in a rural, now semi rural area, that is very highway accessible. I should add that I am also in Ohio. Many owner/operators live in these types of areas because in rural areas, you have somewhere to park you rig, and are still close to the highway. I looked at goggle maps satellite a couple weeks ago and began to get closer to a conclusion that the perp may be a local long haul OTR truck driver who could have picked her up in a western State. Ohio is the by-way east to west across the country. That is why we are near the top of the list in human trafficking. So in looking at the satellite view I was looking for semis parked in driveways. There are two State routes off the Troy exit. I did my best I could on my iPad to follow each route west. (Really should do it on a computer). Granted that these pics are not from 1981, but I found one area that did not appear to be a home, but saw two semis parked near a small building that looks to me like it's been there awhile and a development was built near it. Haven't gotten to the point of looking at county recorder plat maps to see how long that development has been there but my guess is that the referenced building has been there awhile. It is not far west of Greenlee. If I recall correctly, it was off the more southern of the two east-west State routes, could be wrong about that though.

In any event, due to the recent post about the other murder in the same area and the fact the guy was a local truck driver, I am even more interested in this hypothesis that perp was a local OTR driver. Just adds up with the fact that she may have come from out west.

I had a dream (more than once) where she tried to tell me her name. It sounded like Sherry or Sharon or something like that (Sherman, maybe?) and I've never been sure if it's her first or last name. Could possibly be the name of her murderer, too, I suppose.

(Bev) Sher(something) would fit.

Other short first names that sound like Bev? Viv? Bess, Beth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following up on my prior post. SR 55 west into Ludlow Falls to Greenville avenue. It wasn't a couple of semis as I posted, it's a semi box trailer (Forget what it's called. CRS! Lol) that's not attached to a truck cab that looks like it's been sitting there awhile and not been used. Abandoned?

Also want to add that the dump site on Greenlee appears to be half way between the two westbound state routes off I75 exit in Troy but closer to 55. And, oh my gosh is Tipp City close to Troy.

I also think the Canadian girl Patricia does bear a strong resemblance.

THANK YOU FOR SUCH USEFUL INFORMATION! I have one disagreement. Although everything you said about the location of the dump site in relation to a truck driver makes sense, I would still not be quick to rule out a truck driver. I live in a rural, now semi rural area, that is very highway accessible. I should add that I am also in Ohio. Many owner/operators live in these types of areas because in rural areas, you have somewhere to park you rig, and are still close to the highway. I looked at goggle maps satellite a couple weeks ago and began to get closer to a conclusion that the perp may be a local long haul OTR truck driver who could have picked her up in a western State. Ohio is the by-way east to west across the country. That is why we are near the top of the list in human trafficking. So in looking at the satellite view I was looking for semis parked in driveways. There are two State routes off the Troy exit. I did my best I could on my iPad to follow each route west. (Really should do it on a computer). Granted that these pics are not from 1981, but I found one area that did not appear to be a home, but saw two semis parked near a small building that looks to me like it's been there awhile and a development was built near it. Haven't gotten to the point of looking at county recorder plat maps to see how long that development has been there but my guess is that the referenced building has been there awhile. It is not far west of Greenlee. If I recall correctly, it was off the more southern of the two east-west State routes, could be wrong about that though.

In any event, due to the recent post about the other murder in the same area and the fact the guy was a local truck driver, I am even more interested in this hypothesis that perp was a local OTR driver. Just adds up with the fact that she may have come from out west.

Yes, that's plausible. We have a trucker who lives down the road--a narrow winding road that freaks out drivers in cars who have never been on it before. Usually he delivers a tralier somewhere and just drives the tractor (the front unit) home where he has an extra-large garage for it, but a time or two he has driven the whole rig and parked it beside the street.

I personally have my doubts about her coming from "out west." She could have, but her outfit isn't particularly "western."

Yes, that's plausible. We have a trucker who lives down the road--a narrow winding road that freaks out drivers in cars who have never been on it before. Usually he delivers a tralier somewhere and just drives the tractor (the front unit) home where he has an extra-large garage for it, but a time or two he has driven the whole rig and parked it beside the street.

I personally have my doubts about her coming from "out west." She could have, but her outfit isn't particularly "western."

Thank you. I assume out west because of the earlier posts/research about the potential origins of the buckskin pullover.

Thank you. I assume out west because of the earlier posts/research about the potential origins of the buckskin pullover.

Yeah, but it could have been sold anywhere (many western specialty shops throughout the northeast, for instance) or bought as a vacation souvenir, or through a mail-order catalog. The person who bought it could be from anywhere. It's not something that would appeal only to people who live in the west. (I grew up in Montana.)

One thing I noticed about the UID's description was that she had a very pointed nose, enough so that the ME made note of it. Patricia Salamandyk's sister has a very prominent nose. Also, in one of the article's I read, the brother stated her birth year wrong. I think it makes her younger, not older, but I could be wrong about that.

Beverly Ridley is actually Beverly Jean Ribley.

Beverly Jean Ribley was 29 years old when she disappeared from San Diego County, California in April 1975. She would have been 35 years old in April 1981.

Beverly Jean Ribley had brown hair and green eyes. Buckskin Girl had reddish-brown hair and brown eyes.

Beverly Jean Ribley has a thread on Websleuths:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ly-Jean-Ribley-29-Spring-Valley-27-April-1975

I live five miles from where her body was found. I did not live here in Troy until the mid-90's, but I stumbled across her grave in Riverside Cemetery a few years back and have been interested in her case every since.

Welcome to Websleuths Fugitive Minister. We’re glad to have you here.

Are there any horse farms or horse riding stables in the area?

Are there any farms in the area that would hire someone from outside the area to do general farm work at their farms?

Can you tell us if your friend was ever able to find out where Buckskin Girl was from or her full name?

One thing I noticed about the UID's description was that she had a very pointed nose, enough so that the ME made note of it. Patricia Salamandyk's sister has a very prominent nose. Also, in one of the article's I read, the brother stated her birth year wrong. I think it makes her younger, not older, but I could be wrong about that.

Found a picture of Patricia (in this article: http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2...rsons-case-1972-patricia-janice-salamandyk/); side by side with Carl's reconstruction attached.

I still haven't been able to find any physical stats to know whether she's a reasonable prospect or not. She has a thread on NAMPN but they don't have any information either. http://www.nampn.org/cases/salamandyk_patricia_janice.html

Attachments

• buckskin jd with Patricia Salamandyk.png
    buckskin jd with Patricia Salamandyk.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 59
Patricia Salamandyk looks really similar at first glance but she has a mole at the left corner of her mouth and Buckskin Jane does not. The mole is included in the age progression sketch so I'm guessing it isn't a film irregularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back