Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don;t yell at me Guys , its been awhile since Ive really paid a lot of attn. to this thread but why are we so sure she was hitchhiking? I don't think she was for some reason .

I saw the recently released photo and cried like a baby. I'm beyond happy that she got her name back. I hope and pray that they find out who murdered her.

Maybe they did mean the other Pittsburg. I assumed the big one because that's where youngest Carbuff went to college. Hmm.

Well there is a difference in spelling-- the PA one has an h on the end. I assumed KY because of the wording in the article:

With the identification, the homicide investigation intensifies, said Chief Deputy Steve Lord. The probe is focusing on the last month of King's life when she was known to be in the Pittsburgh and Louisville, Ky., areas.

http://www.whio.com/news/local/miam...nsolved-homicide-case/fmfdENjXMReEHV5VZGPcpI/

The reporter might be unaware there is a Pittsburg, KY and leaving off the PA may confuse people from KY. I'm not sure now which one it is but it is spelled like the bigger city in PA.

I remember Marcia's half sister said Marcia could have gone to high school in Louisville (or Little Rock, Arkansas)... so that might be why LE has mentioned Louisville.

I hope her killer is already in jail, its too terrible to think that he might have remained free all those years, The type of person to kill and dump someone like this, is surely a person who wouldn't just do it once. I bet there were other victims and I hope he was caught.

Justice for Marcia.

For comparison: the route from louisville, ky to pittsburgh pa with and without the the troy stop. not quite on the way but pretty darn close. plus you have to figure this was 37 years ago, routes might have been slightly different, or they stopped in Dayton.

attachment.php
attachment.php

also wanted to add: I know she was staying with other family in a different state, but it's clear she had roots in Louisville, as well, so it would make sense she was starting from there. Could be visiting friends, family, or she has a lot of connections there. Pittsburgh is the one I think that is a bit more unclear, if we can figure out the reason she was there, we'll have a lot of questions answered.

Attachments

• 2018-04-11_16-30-09.jpg
    2018-04-11_16-30-09.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 440
  • 2018-04-11_16-30-33.jpg
    2018-04-11_16-30-33.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 448
While thinking about how much Marcia reminds me of my mom, I'm wondering if there are/were any of those "trucker plaza" type truck stops with showers and shops and stuff near where she was found. The soot and excellent hygiene point that way, and those places were full of creeps.
My dad was a trucker and my mom and I went with him when I was a kid, and when I was a teenager (and very obviously still a child), the clerks for showers would ask if we would like to shower separate or together. We were both so grossed out, my dad said something like "don't talk to any of these creeps" but the clerk just shrugged and said "just doing my job..." and that was a really nice "upscale" truck stop.
He spent the rest of that trip pointing at his fellow truckers and saying any one of them could be murderers or kidnappers, rapists, etc, and how shady goings on were overlooked and occasionally encouraged. I thought he was over exaggerating to keep me out of trouble, but after being on here I'm thinking maybe it wasn't an exaggeration.
And there was this whole kind of subculture, like pioneers or wild west stuff with an emphasis on selling some romanticized notion of Native American culture. I know there was always turquoise jewelry and whatnots for sale, and leather moccasins (which I wonder if that's why Marcia was barefoot, those never stayed on right) and baskets and other knickknacks sold on site at these places or right off site. I would bet that at some point you might even have been able to pick up a buckskin jacket... I can't say that with any certainty, but its probable I guess.
Not sure if my ramblings can contribute anything that hasn't been thought of before, but ya never know I guess. I've got Marcia on my mind today, I really hope they find with a quickness that (curse words) person who killed her.

A lot of this is true even today. My best friend is a long distance trucker & sometimes he gets treated really rudely because he looks big and intimidating. (He's actually helped a lot of women in distress that he's met at truck stops, but those are other stories for other threads.) & I definitely get nasty looks when I tag along with him on trips. People think I'm a Native American working girl, lol.

I'm glad she was IDed.

This was posted online during the past hour on the Piqua, Ohio newspaper website.

Buckskin Girl’ identified DNA, technology provides identity of county’s Jane Doe

TROY — Miami County’s Jane Doe got her real name back on Wednesday when officials announced that a 37-year-old murder case had resulted in the identification of the victim.

Dubbed “Buckskin Girl,” the female has been identified as Marcia L. King, 21 at the time of her death, from Arkansas, it was announced during a press conference on Wednesday.

Source:
http://www.dailycall.com/top-stories/38413/buckskin-girl-identified

WSYX-TV in Columbus, Ohio is also reporting this news story.

Victim in Dayton-area cold case from 1981 identified

MIAMI COUNTY, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) -- For nearly 37 years, the identity of a woman found dead in Miami County along Greenlee Road has been a mystery. She'd been known as the "Buckskin Girl," but on Wednesday, investigators have identified her as Marcia L. King, 21, of Arkansas.

Source:

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/victim-in-dayton-area-cold-case-identified

She was wearing a fringed leather jacket, bell bottoms and pigtails (her hair looks like it would have been rather long when unbraided) and that "free spirit" look seems like it would have been a bit unusual for 1981. Can anyone confirm whether these clothes would have stood out? It's amazing that nobody remembered seeing her especially wearing that jacket.

Respectfully snipped.

In the 1980's there was a strong Native American Rights movement in play with somewhat clandestine meetings of tribal groups and supporters as there was distrust in the Government and the FBI, notably over the Leonard Peltier case. The buckskins may be related to this as supporters came from a wide range of financial and ethnic groups. Wearing Native styled clothing helped these supporters feel connected to those they supported. It may also be that this young lady got the jacket from her mother or other family member who enjoyed the 60's and early 70's counter culture movement. Just some thoughts from my perspective and having lived through these periods.

attachment.php

Someone enhanced the photos from the press conference today.

Attachments

• web1_Buckskingirl1.jpg
    web1_Buckskingirl1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 435
Rest In Peace Marcia. You finally have your identity back and your family knows where you are now. Sending love, prayers, and comfort to the family who have wondered for 37 years.

Wonder if Marcia had any association with motorcycle clubs/gangs, I know many that braid their hair so it does not get all tangled up in the wind. With the indication of soot could it be Marcia was riding a bike with someone possibly someone she knew.

All thou you would need shoes to ride a bike and there were none ...

Wonder if Marcia had any association with motorcycle clubs/gangs, I know many that braid their hair so it does not get all tangled up in the wind. With the indication of soot could it be Marcia was riding a bike with someone possibly someone she knew.

All thou you would need shoes to ride a bike and there were none ...

That's what got me thinking this was a trucker. And a lot of truckers were associated with bikers and all that. Draws a good mix of shady people and decent people who seek adventure. Trucks are somewhat cleaner now, but back then you'd be sooty just being near one. And if I remember right, it was just her clothes that were sooty, she could have showered at a truck stop and got back in while the truck was idling. And maybe took her shoes off to sleep, I doubt anyone intent on a non-sexually motivate murder would let her use their bed with their hair and stuff in it, but some trucks have bunk beds and that would seem less threatening to a hitchhiker too. A female trucker would possibly explain a lot, and they were much fewer in those days. I know that trucking companies usually keep very detailed records (which were often fudged unfortunately), but I wonder if records from that time would still exist. I know many of the companies my dad drove for back then have either stopped existing or merged. But finding drivers taking that route at that time would be super helpful, if only to rule out potential suspects. All speculation, but it seems to make sense.

Dayton Daily News says they will live stream the press conference, they have updated the article with a link.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...nsolved-homicide-case/fmfdENjXMReEHV5VZGPcpI/

From the link:

“Law enforcement never forgets," Sheriff Dave Duchak said in announcing the identification made using new genetic genealogy tools by the nonprofit DNA Doe Project with confirmation by the Miami Valley Regional Crime Lab.

With the identification, the homicide investigation intensifies, said Chief Deputy Steve Lord. The probe is focusing on the last month of King's life when she was known to be in the Pittsburgh and Louisville, Ky., areas.

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff's tip line at 937-440-3990 or leave tips at www.miamicountysheriff.org/contact-us-1.

Jane Doe had been deceased less than two days before her body was found. She died of strangulation and blunt force trauma to the head. The woman had no socks, shoes, bags or any form of identification.

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum (only 2nd post ever!) so I apologize if this has previously been adressed, with 135 pages Im still catching up.

While I have no ideas to contribute to her identity I am curious if convicted murderer Joseph Benasutti was ever considered as a suspect in her death. While JB was not caught until 1995, he was in the area in 81. Greenlee and 55 are a very short distance from his home at the time (ludlow falls). His main interest was strangulation. He was caught after he thought he had strangled a woman to death but she managed to survive and attain help. He later confessed and produced the body of another woman which he also strangled. To date he's confessed to attacking up to 6 women but maintains that he only killed one. My understanding was that he was hiring prostitutes under the guise of sex but then attacking them as strangulation was his main objective (sexually gratifying for him). I don't recall any information that he ever sexually assaulted the women.

There isn't much information about his crimes online, I just wonder if LE even considered him since he was caught so many years later.

Also, I live very close to her recovery site and always have. IMO while not unheard of, 55 does not get much Semi traffic. It would be very unusual for a semi to just be stopped on 55, and no reason at all for one to be on Greenlee. In order to turn around the truck would have to go all the way down 55 to 48 and then cut back on 571 through West Milton, there is otherwise no real opportunity to get back to the highway (in a semi).

Just some thoughts I had. I could be way off base.

I too live nearby and grew up in the area. I wish they would look into JB. Do you recall the other girl that was found on Kessler back in 1993? Yolanda DeBarge, aka Ducky. She was Tommy DeBarge's first wife. Yes, as in DeBarge Switch. I just discovered the connection yesterday through another site. I read that Mama D wrote a book and has a chapter of Yolanda, in it she writes she believes JB killed her and that her ID was found in his possession. I cannot find anymore information for the life of me. Not much of JB appears, seems like his murder(s) are swept under the rug. 2010 he says he only attacked 6 women when questioned about the Peggy Casey murder and he stated it was Easter week, he would have been with his family. Oddly enough, Marcia was found Easter week as well. I would love to see if they questioned or are looking into him. On a side note, I'm pretty sure there was more than one body buried in his yard. Wonder what dirt he has on someone to get away with it. He's up for parole Feb 2019.

Hi Raindancemaggie10,

That is an interesting possibility.

Respectfully snipped.

In the 1980's there was a strong Native American Rights movement in play with somewhat clandestine meetings of tribal groups and supporters as there was distrust in the Government and the FBI, notably over the Leonard Peltier case. The buckskins may be related to this as supporters came from a wide range of financial and ethnic groups. Wearing Native styled clothing helped these supporters feel connected to those they supported. It may also be that this young lady got the jacket from her mother or other family member who enjoyed the 60's and early 70's counter culture movement. Just some thoughts from my perspective and having lived through these periods.

OT-ish

Peltier was imprisoned in 1977, and the Native American civil rights movement peaked in the late 60s thru late 70s. The feds (I sound conspiratorial, but it’s true) worked hard to take down movement leaders in order to weaken their power and “threat,” so to speak. It’s an awful chapter of US history, imo, how our government took out and imprisoned civil rights leaders. SMH, so sad.

Native American-influenced fashion and designers started really coming into their own in the mid-60s thru 70s and were pretty entrenched/ubiquitous in popular design by the early 80s. Marcia went missing in 1981, so there’s really no telling where her vest came from, imo.

I was a kid in the 80s, so younger than her, but ponchos, suede/buckskin, fringe and “tribal” designs were really, really popular in the Midwest/southwest. In my experience, anyway.

I’m more optimistic someone/people will come forward with information about her killer now that Marcia has her name back. People knew her. They will remember what she looked like and who she was. *fingers crossed!

OT-ish

Peltier was imprisoned in 1977, and the Native American civil rights movement peaked in the late 60s thru late 70s. The feds (I sound conspiratorial, but it’s true) worked hard to take down movement leaders in order to weaken their power and “threat,” so to speak. It’s an awful chapter of US history, imo, how our government took out and imprisoned civil rights leaders. SMH, so sad.

Native American-influenced fashion and designers started really coming into their own in the mid-60s thru 70s and were pretty entrenched/ubiquitous in popular design by the early 80s. Marcia went missing in 1981, so there’s really no telling where her vest came from, imo.

I was a kid in the 80s, so younger than her, but ponchos, suede/buckskin, fringe and “tribal” designs were really, really common in the Midwest/southwest. In my experience, anyway.

I’m more optimistic someone/people will come forward with information about her killer now that she has her name back. People knew her. They will remember what she looked like and who she was. *fingers crossed!
Makes me think of Marlon Brando not publically accepting his Oscar

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members