GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IDK but if Hoffman was not caught he would went on to be worse than Dahmer.

I do believe you are correct.Hoffman IMO might have gone on to be the worst of them all. I still wonder how many times he may have killed before. I do not believe this was his first time killing people,whether or not they ever connect him to others doesn't mean he did not kill before IMO.If Tina's boss did not alert LE after being so brave to enter that house, that did not give him time he needed to go back and set fire to that home.If he did get to burn it down he might not have been caught.In a sick and very twisted way,putting them inside of a tree they might not have ever been found.I am not sure if even dogs would have been able to smell the bodies.If the only opening was 35 ft or more in the air,would dogs have been able to pinpoint that tree?A tree has so many layers they might not have ever been found unless the tree fell down.If he killed anyone else(like a runaway) and put them in another semi hollowed tree who would know?

I have read that as long as the battery is in the phone, it can be traced, even if turned off. If true, it does make one wonder why missing people are not found more often, or sooner. If that is how they found Sarah, that would be pretty amazing, I know it is not confirmed.

I do believe you are correct.Hoffman IMO might have gone on to be the worst of them all. I still wonder how many times he may have killed before. I do not believe this was his first time killing people,whether or not they ever connect him to others doesn't mean he did not kill before IMO.If Tina's boss did not alert LE after being so brave to enter that house, that did not give him time he needed to go back and set fire to that home.If he did get to burn it down he might not have been caught.In a sick and very twisted way,putting them inside of a tree they might not have ever been found.I am not sure if even dogs would have been able to smell the bodies.If the only opening was 35 ft or more in the air,would dogs have been able to pinpoint that tree?A tree has so many layers they might not have ever been found unless the tree fell down.If he killed anyone else(like a runaway) and put them in another semi hollowed tree who would know?

It's scary to even contemplate all the "what ifs" in this case. I too believe this wasn't the first time MH has killed. I'm sure that eventually there will be some cases that have gone unsolved that will now be solved.

I also agree that he likely planned to set the house on fire and burn it to the ground, destroying evidence of his crime. Authorities would have been left with a house totally destroyed, no bodies in it so the people must have escaped the fire or weren't home when the fire happened, but they've disappeared. This may have become an unsolved crime.

It was only because Tina's manager was so concerned that the police got involved before MH could finish his plan. Who knows what would have happened with Sarah.

I have read that as long as the battery is in the phone, it can be traced, even if turned off. If true, it does make one wonder why missing people are not found more often, or sooner. If that is how they found Sarah, that would be pretty amazing, I know it is not confirmed.

BBM
I have read the same, re the battery and the phone being off.

Re Sarah, I think if that was how they found her she would have been found the first day of the search...

jmo

Do we know when the Knox County Grand Jury is scheduled to convene in December?

I was wondering if any of the locals from the area have heard how Sarah is doing, or any other updates on this case? TIA, she crosses my mind a lot.

I was wondering if any of the locals from the area have heard how Sarah is doing, or any other updates on this case? TIA, she crosses my mind a lot.

Haven't heard any updates in the news.<modsnip>

Should be soon on Grand Jury ... hopefully (think they said about 6 weeks or so).

Haven't heard any updates in the news. <modsnip>

Should be soon on Grand Jury ... hopefully (think they said about 6 weeks or so).

Hopefully, the grand jury will come back with the indictment sometime this month. Once indicted, it will likely be a long wait for he trial.

<snip>

According to Knox County Prosecutor John Thatcher, a Grand Jury returned a ten-count indictment last night against Matthew J. Hoffman, 30, which includes three counts of Aggravated Murder. The indictment alleges that Hoffman purposely caused the deaths of Tina R. Herrmann, Ms. Herrmann’s son Kody Maynard, age 11, and her neighbor Stephanie L. Sprang, on November 10, 2010. The Aggravated Murder charges further allege that Hoffman murdered the victims while he was committing the offense of Aggravated Burglary in Herrmann’s residence at 481 King Beach Drive, Howard, Ohio. The indictment also includes an Aggravated Burglary count.

The charges:

Aggravated Murder
Tampering with Evidence
Gross Abuse of a Corpse
Aggravated Burglary
Rape
Kidnapping

more here

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jan/04/knox-co-suspect-charged-aggravated-murder-rape-ar-349724/

Thank you for posting this, Texas Mist. I'd been wondering how long it would take (seems like forever).

Rest in peace, Tina, Kody, Stephanie, and Tanner.

Continued prayers and blessings for SM (especially), the families, and their friends.

In addition to the aggravated murder counts that carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, Hoffman faces the following additional possible penalties for the remaining counts:

&#8226;Aggravated burglary (first-degree felony): Three to 10 years imprisonment.

&#8226;Rape (first-degree felony): Three to 10 years imprisonment.

&#8226;Kidnapping (first-degree felony): Three to 10 years imprisonment.

&#8226;Tampering with evidence (third-degree felony): One to five years imprisonment.

&#8226;Gross abuse of a corpse (fifth-degree felonies): Six to 12 months imprisonment on each count.

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/11/01/04/hoffman-indicted-on-aggravated-murder-charges

The prosecutor&#8217;s office will release additional information about the decision not to pursue the death penalty immediately after Hoffman&#8217;s arraignment in the Knox County Court of Common Pleas later this week.

The indictment includes a kidnapping charge accusing Hoffman of taking 13-year-old SM from her mother, Tina Herrmann&#8217;s home after he allegedly committed the aggravated murder and aggravated burglary crimes. He is also accused of rape for allegedly forcing SM to engage in sexual conduct with him once in his home at 49 Columbus Road, Mount Vernon

Not sure why I was thought this would be any different, as the worst case has been true at every step of this case. But I was still hoping that last part wasn't true.

It would've been decades before he saw the needle anyways. And that's too pleasant of an end for this guy.

I actually take solice in life in prison for him. His fellow inmates probably won't appreciate he's a child killer/rapist, and will have bunches of fun activities to engage him in.

It would've been decades before he saw the needle anyways. And that's too pleasant of an end for this guy.

I actually take solice in life in prison for him. His fellow inmates probably won't appreciate he's a child killer/rapist, and will have bunches of fun activities to engage him in.

That's true too.

It could be that he plans on pleading guilty, without the DP. But who knows (I guess we will by end of week perhaps).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back