GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. Good riddance.

He was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. Good riddance.

I believe he was just arraigned, to enter his plea, which thankfully was "guilty", sparing SM any further trauma.
The Judge could give him 3 life sentences back to back for 3 murders at his sentencing. Plus all the extras. 200 + years.
Or life with no parole, I'm sure he will get one or the other. Probably no possibility of parole. He won't get, in this lifetime, regardless of his sentence, what he truly deserves. But he'll get it in the end.

Java,

He was just sentenced according to ABC6. Life without parole.

Java,

He was just sentenced according to ABC6. Life without parole.

I sure does say "sentenced"! You are correct!

Awesome to be so speedy quick!
And glad to read as well that the victims were able to make impact statements too.

I hope they will stream the press conference.

Prosecutors did not pursue the death sentence because it was taken off the table in a plea deal: The victims' families agreed to take the death penalty off the table so that Hoffman would reveal the location of the bodies and the victims' remains could be recovered, NBC4 learned in court.
------------------------
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jan/06/20/hearing-set-ohio-man-charged-triple-slaying-ar-352285/

He received nine years each for his guilty pleas to burglary, kidnapping and rape, four years for tampering with evidence and 11 months for abuse of a corpse. The sentences will run concurrent with the life sentences for murder.
"The family deserves to know this a random burglary that went terribly, terribly wrong," Bruce Malek, Hoffman's public defender, said following sentencing. Hoffman did not specifically target those he killed, Malek said.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/06/hoffman-arraignment.html?sid=101
----------------
I still don't think I am buying that last paragraph about the burglary.
Because of this statement -
"The girl said in a statement, read in court by Knox County Prosecutor John Thatcher, she and Kody arrived at the home together that day and found a pool of blood."
Why would he of waited around for the kids to come home if it were only to have been a burglary?

Prosecutors did not pursue the death sentence because it was taken off the table in a plea deal: The victims' families agreed to take the death penalty off the table so that Hoffman would reveal the location of the bodies and the victims' remains could be recovered, NBC4 learned in court.
------------------------
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jan/06/20/hearing-set-ohio-man-charged-triple-slaying-ar-352285/

He received nine years each for his guilty pleas to burglary, kidnapping and rape, four years for tampering with evidence and 11 months for abuse of a corpse. The sentences will run concurrent with the life sentences for murder.
"The family deserves to know this a random burglary that went terribly, terribly wrong," Bruce Malek, Hoffman's public defender, said following sentencing. Hoffman did not specifically target those he killed, Malek said.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/06/hoffman-arraignment.html?sid=101
----------------
I still don't think I am buying that last paragraph about the burglary.

Above BBM

I don't buy it either. It's just too much of a leap from burglary to kidnap, rape, murder, dismemberment, etc..

He may have been dismembering the bodies when the children arrived home... Not that I buy the burglary gone wrong explanation.

I guess the public defender has to say something? Come up with something IF they can? And as weak as this attempt was, at any kind of an explanation for this heinous animal, this was the best they could do.
I, in no way believe it was a burglary, I think he knew that TH was home, waited for the kids to leave for school, SS might of been a surprise, and he waited for the kids to come home, and he already had the location of the hollow tree in mind. Hid SS car...... Dismemberment, kidnapping, etc... It was no shotgun attempt at covering up a burglary.
Ditching the car near the college, the dog, etc.....
Sorry Mr. Public Defender - I do not believe this was a burglary!!

The break in the case that led to the discovery of the girl in Hoffman's home was a Walmart bag containing a tarp and trash bags that the killer left behind in Herrmann's home, Thatcher said after sentencing.
Using the bar code from the items at the store, investigators were able to locate the transaction involving their purchase and then match it to surveillance video of the man who bought the items. Video showed him driving away in a Toyota Yaris.
Investigators then ran a database search for all Yaris vehicles in the area, with Hoffman's name appearing among those driving the model. Since a deputy had spoken to him in the area where Herrmann's stolen pickup truck was found, he immediately became a prime suspect.
Authorities them obtained a search warrant, entered Hoffman's home, arrested him and freed the girl.

prosecution addressed the issue of an accomplice by saying they believe he told her or led her to believe another person was involved to keep her compliant, they do not believe anybody else but he committed these heinous crimes, and I agree

I wonder if she could hear him talking, AND hear someone else talking back? Or just hear HIM talking?
If it was only him -
He could of been talking to himself, his alter psyco ego, a victim?????

If she could hear someone talking WITH him..............................
OMG!!!
-------------
I hope the prosecution explanation is correct Joe Jones.

I think they would have looked carefully for an accomplice considering the gravity of the crimes, there appears to be no evidence of an accomplice, and he has nothing to lose by naming him/her, he has taken full responsibilty for his actions but not his motivations imo

if it was a burglary gone bad why wait for the children to come home and then kill only one of them taking the female victim away to rape her, I think he was a sexual predator

I don't believe this was a spur of the moment crime, either. No one dismembers bodies and hides them in a tree in a remote area on the spur of the moment. He had this crime planned. The "what ifs" etc etc. I have a feeling there's more to the story but I don't know if we'll ever hear it. I'm glad he'll rot in prison, and I hope we'll have a few felons to thank when justice is REALLY served in this case.

Wow! That was fast. Already sentenced!

Thank goodness the family's ordeal in public is over. Hopefully time will bring them some sort of peace. At the least, acceptance and a way to cope.

fran

Yep, it is amazing that he has already been sentenced for a crime that happened on November 10, 2010. That is 2 months ago.

Kudus to LE, especially Sheriff Barber and his team, and to the KC Prosecutor for putting together a solid "deal" (one that included location AND a guilty plea stipulation). Glad this county will not have to endure a lengthy media circus of a trial, and especially the lone survivor is spared reliving her ordeal.

May all survivors find peace somehow. Time to get him out of Knox County ... !!!!

I don't believe this was a spur of the moment crime, either. No one dismembers bodies and hides them in a tree in a remote area on the spur of the moment. He had this crime planned. The "what ifs" etc etc. I have a feeling there's more to the story but I don't know if we'll ever hear it. I'm glad he'll rot in prison, and I hope we'll have a few felons to thank when justice is REALLY served in this case.

No kidding! He had to have scouted out that tree too (hollow trees aren't *that* common).

I am really impressed with the police work, prosecutors, everyone who figured this out, found and convicted him so efficiently AND saved the poor girl. May she stand strong and overcome this heartbreaking devastation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firminouk
Back