Ohio puts 200-pound third-grader in foster care

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I once had a severely overweight obese foster child. (She wasn't removed from her home for being overweight) In a little less than two years, she was a normal weight, looked fantastic and physically fit. I don't buy junk food. It's very rarely in my home. I grow my own veggies and I can them. I keep a large bowl of fresh fruit to grab from anytime. I also never allowed excessive tv watching or video game playing.

IMO Removing the crap food from the house all together is what it takes.

I think I need to move into your house for a few months.

They could also be using temporary foster care to rule out some unexplained medical cause. CPS can't be in the home 24/7. If mom states she's doing everything the doctors tell her to, but the child is still putting on weight, having the child in another environment will quickly prove or disprove the veracity of mom's statements.

1.5 years is a generous amount of time to see improvement. 200 lbs is a LOT of weight. This is a third grader. Think about how tall you were in third grade. I am almost 5'7 and only weigh 140 lbs. I'm not a stick, by any means. If I weighed 200 lbs at my height, I'd be overweight (unless I was muscular/athletic). Now think about that weight on a short third grader. It impacts the child's ability to move, breathe, interact with others every single day. The child runs the risk of diabetes, stroke, and heart problems - at 8 years of age. There's something very, very wrong with that situation.

It sounds like in this case CPS has been deliberate and non-hasty in their actions, giving mom plenty of time to improve the child's life. I don't disagree with a temporary removal at all. This will either help the child's health improve, or point the doctors in the direction of an undiagnosed metabolic disorder. In the long run, I think it's more beneficial to the child than preserving the status quo.

I wonder about all the anorexic teenagers out there. Anorexia is a serious problem that certainly can cause long term health problems, even death. Will they be removed from their homes because their parents can't make them eat or gain weight?

Obesity is not, unfortunately, just about removing junk food from the home. It is a complex issue with myriad interconnected social, economic and political issues.

In any case, I hope the child is home soon and that he is able to live a healthful life.

Most "temporary" removals last more than a year. That's just because CPS has to get the case back into court multiple tmies to return children once they have taken them, and that takes time.

They say they worked with the family for a year and a half. Until they are willing to prove it, it's just words from a CPS worker and those are close to worthless, IMO.

I wonder about all the anorexic teenagers out there. Anorexia is a serious problem that certainly can cause long term health problems, even death. Will they be removed from their homes because their parents can't make them eat or gain weight?

Obesity is not, unfortunately, just about removing junk food from the home. It is a complex issue with myriad interconnected social, economic and political issues.

In any case, I hope the child is home soon and that he is able to live a healthful life.

BBM

I disagree. It's really as simple as eat less & move around more. It's not rocket science.

If you want to be obese knock yourself out. But I think it is the height of abuse to raise obese children. They will suffer life long complications due to the laziness of the parent.

Look at this video. Even though she lost the weight she is permanently damaged for the rest of her life.

[video=youtube;cNATWsVVwgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNATWsVVwgo[/video]

BBM

I disagree. It's really as simple as eat less & move around more. It's not rocket science.

But it's not. My son has been about 18 pounds overweight for close to a year now. I have taken every suggestion given by his doctor. He is in three separate programs that encourage him to move and be physical (Tae Kwon Do Tumblers, Junior Gymnasts, and a juior basketball program). He runs and plays and moves here at home. We don't even own a video game, and he gets a maximum of hlaf an hour of TV a day.

His thyroid is fine, physically, there is no cause that has been identified yet.

He doesn't eat junk food, fried food, candy, chips, Kool aid, or any of te other crap like that. The kids get pop only when we eat out. Cake is for birthdays only.

And guess what, he's still about 18 pounds overweight. It happens. And sometimes even arocket scientist can't figure it out. You were lucky that the children in your care responded positively. But every child is different.

I see a few differences with the two situations. A teenager is far more in control of what they consume than a third grader. Just as an obese teenager can purchase or consume food outside the parent's control, an anorexic teenager can employ many different methods to get out of eating.

This is a third grader. They cannot generally purchase much additional food outside the home that would impact their weight. They are far more dependent on their parent than a teenager.

Furthermore, the difference between anorexia and some causes of obesity, in terms of parental involvement are stark. You cannot force feed a child (without appropriate medical inpatient treatment). You can, however, choose what foods to place in front of your child.

Anorexia is also a mental disorder. While obesity can be a symptom of a mental disorder, most causes of obesity are not from Pader-Wilii or binge eating disorder. And, with a third grader, the parent has far more control over what they consume than a teenager would.

I can see CPS intervening if the parents did not provide appropriate mental health treatment for an anorexic teenager. But this situation is far more like a parent who starves a third grader, than a teenager with a mental illness. Providing inappropriate nutrition can come in many forms - a lack of calories, an unbalanced diet, or far too many calories. If a parent refuses to modify their behavior after education, CPS does need to intervene on behalf of the child. Their life is at stake just as much as if the parent were providing inadequate calories.

Obesity can have other causes, yes. It's important to determine if there are underlying metabolic or mental health issues. However, even with the socioeconomic issues which impact childhood obesity (food deserts, lack of produce in cities, lack of nutrition education, etc.), an eight year old does not become 200 lbs. without serious problems in the home. It's not akin to anorexia at all.

But it's not. My son has been about 18 pounds overweight for close to a year now. I have taken every suggestion given by his doctor. He is in three separate programs that encourage him to move and be physical (Tae Kwon Do Tumblers, Junior Gymnasts, and a juior basketball program). He runs and plays and moves here at home. We don't even own a video game, and he gets a maximum of hlaf an hour of TV a day.

His thyroid is fine, physically, there is no cause that has been identified yet.

He doesn't eat junk food, fried food, candy, chips, Kool aid, or any of te other crap like that. The kids get pop only when we eat out. Cake is for birthdays only.

And guess what, he's still about 18 pounds overweight. It happens. And sometimes even arocket scientist can't figure it out. You were lucky that the children in your care responded positively. But every child is different.

Also true. Given the additives and hormones in our everyday food (cheese, meat, milk, even bread), plus the pesticides and other chemicals we are all exposed to, there could be other causes. It's not always as simple as calories in/calories out.

Just as a side suggestion not_my_kids, does your family consume refined carbohydrates? I know some have had success if they switch to eating sprouted grains/more complex carbs. I personally lost a bit of weight when I switched, even though I was eating the same proportion of carbs to fat and protein, and didn't alter my calorie intake. Not trying to tell you what to do at all, but just throwing it out there since I had luck with it.

IMO Junk food isn't just the types of food listed above, it's all the processed, refined, premade stuff too and anything with all sorts of additives. Try shopping the outside perimeter of the supermarket only.

BBM

Unfortunately, this is just NOT the case with many/most of these children. The problems are more complex than that. While a severely restricted diet and increased exercise will reduce weight.....it will NEVER remove or erase the causes that contribute to the behavioral response to overeat.

It is not SIMPLE in the case of an obese child.....just as we can not say to an anorexic person "its really as simple as eating MORE and moving LESS" and your problems will all be over. That would never "fix" the emotional, social, medical, or psychological factors that lead to either anorexia or obesity. It isn't simple.....if it was simple......everyone would be thin and fit.

jmo

IMO Junk food isn't just the types of food listed above, it's all the processed, refined, premade stuff too and anything with all sorts of additives. Try shopping the outside perimeter of the supermarket only.

I do. I don't buy anything but base ingredients from the grocery store. Fresh fruit and veggies are snacks. I don't buy premade or processed. And yet, he's still overweight. This is after we did have done food journals , some lastin gup to a month, of everything he eats, how much and when, in realtion to how much physical activity. I was completely honest in those journals and even his doctor and nutritionist said he should have been losing weight. But, yet, he isn't. His nutritionist has chalked it up to bad genetics and says that we'll re evaluate later on, because nothing short of intensive dieting would have an effect, and we can't do that without risking his vitamin and nutrient intake.

Unfortunately, this is just NOT the case with many/most of these children. The problems are more complex than that. While a severely restricted diet and increased exercise will reduce weight.....it will NEVER remove or erase the causes that contribute to the behavioral response to overeat.

It is not SIMPLE in the case of an obese child.....just as we can not say to an anorexic person "its really as simple as eating MORE and moving LESS" and your problems will all be over. That would never "fix" the emotional, social, medical, or psychological factors that lead to either anorexia or obesity. It isn't simple.....if it was simple......everyone would be thin and fit.

jmo

BBM Please define "severely restricted diet". Is that compared to a normal meal size? what the child is used to? a very low calorie intake?
It's a lifestyle. This child is 8 years old. If his parent's home were to change... the adults made nutrition a priority and his parents became role models this kids over eating would be a non issue after awhile. imo

BBM

Thank you for this post. It really is that simple when no other disorders are involved. Most people would be SHOCKED if the actually wrote down the number of calories their kids eat, I know my parents were when I counted calories on my sister. They SWORE up and down she wasn't eating more than 2000 calories a day, but the reality is that it was closer to 4500. I think this happens with a lot of people - they do not even realize the amount of calories they consume.

And to actually lose weight, you have to work out. End of story. Dieting to lose weight almost always results in gaining it back. And a 30 minute play session is not going to do anything unless you are playing hard. Adding muscle to increase your metabolic rate is the route to go, in fact, weight training is more effective at burning calories that cardio and helps build bone density. Sure, young kids can't do typical weight lifting exercises, but modifications do exist. OT: I hate when you see people who spend 45 mins on a treadmill and havent even broken a sweat....do they really think they are going to lose weight that way???

And all this talk about how expensive it is to eat healthy? Its really not. You can buy organic meat by the freezer load much cheaper, and really container vegetable gardening is not that hard to get into, or that expensive to start, and its a good way to teach kids a plethora of responsibilities, from taking care of the plants to taking care of their bodies.

worth the read...it's a world wide issue.

http://www.worldpress.org/Asia/1961.cfm

"What we are faced with is a situation where, if nothing is done to stop the trend, for the first time in a 100 years life expectancy will actually go down"

"Mr. Howard said Australia could overcome the "huge problem" of childhood obesity by encouraging more exercise and better eating at all ages. "In the end, it's a challenge to parents because it's parents who determine and set the eating habits of their children and... we'll be encouraging parents to set the example to their children,"

"An interdisciplinary study carried out over the past decade at Kosra, a tiny Micronesian island where life expectancy is, at 55, among the lowest in the world, helps explain what goes wrong. The residents are not poor, and don't lack modern medical care. But almost all of them are obese and most suffer from Type II diabetes and heart disease."

---------

seems to me...human beings forgot HOW to eat.

Oh well.. it's time to thin the herd anyway, natural selection and all that jazz.

Thank you for this post. It really is that simple when no other disorders are involved. Most people would be SHOCKED if the actually wrote down the number of calories their kids eat, I know my parents were when I counted calories on my sister. They SWORE up and down she wasn't eating more than 2000 calories a day, but the reality is that it was closer to 4500. I think this happens with a lot of people - they do not even realize the amount of calories they consume.

And to actually lose weight, you have to work out. End of story. Dieting to lose weight almost always results in gaining it back. And a 30 minute play session is not going to do anything unless you are playing hard. Adding muscle to increase your metabolic rate is the route to go, in fact, weight training is more effective at burning calories that cardio and helps build bone density. Sure, young kids can't do typical weight lifting exercises, but modifications do exist. OT: I hate when you see people who spend 45 mins on a treadmill and havent even broken a sweat....do they really think they are going to lose weight that way???

And all this talk about how expensive it is to eat healthy? Its really not. You can buy organic meat by the freezer load much cheaper, and really container vegetable gardening is not that hard to get into, or that expensive to start, and its a good way to teach kids a plethora of responsibilities, from taking care of the plants to taking care of their bodies.

and thank you for yours:) I agree with every word. I also buy organic meat, grow my own veggies and even looked into raising my own chickens for the eggs....now I trek to a family farm every week for those as well as my milk. I only buy wild caught fish too.

Sorry, I just don't buy the "most obese kids are some sort of a freak of nature & the doctors are perplexed" excuse.

Sure.. some people have slower metabolism and can not eat the way some others do and get away with it. Some may have to eat less.

I do. I don't buy anything but base ingredients from the grocery store. Fresh fruit and veggies are snacks. I don't buy premade or processed. And yet, he's still overweight. This is after we did have done food journals , some lastin gup to a month, of everything he eats, how much and when, in realtion to how much physical activity. I was completely honest in those journals and even his doctor and nutritionist said he should have been losing weight. But, yet, he isn't. His nutritionist has chalked it up to bad genetics and says that we'll re evaluate later on, because nothing short of intensive dieting would have an effect, and we can't do that without risking his vitamin and nutrient intake.

I know it's coming across like you are being blamed for the issue but I'm sure most people don't think of it that way.

I would agree with the other poster, you probably don't realize how much of a portion he is eating. I also do think it is down to genetics but also overfeeding.

My kids are thin and they all eat junkfood etc, even though I refuse to take them to MacDonalds or any place like that.

I make all homemade food. My husband is overweight and has over eaten portion sizes for his entire life. And he's struggled with weight. My youngest wants to eat all the time and I have to tell him no even though he's a growing boy. He's got a bit of pudge on him, by no means overweight but he could very easily get there.

Portions are a lot smaller than most of us realize

http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Serving-Sizes-Look-Like-762806

http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/05/02/serving-sizes-what-a-joke/

http://www.webmd.com/diet/control-portion-size

For example, a serving size of "pancakes" is ONE pancake about the size of a hamburger bun. Not four stacked up saucersized pancakes.

BBM Please define "severely restricted diet". Is that compared to a normal meal size? what the child is used to? a very low calorie intake?
It's a lifestyle. This child is 8 years old. If his parent's home were to change... the adults made nutrition a priority and his parents became role models this kids over eating would be a non issue after awhile. imo

The point was that all of that is great, wonderful.....but certainly NOT simple. It isn't a matter of ok...today we change. There are multiple factors that created the problem and saying "just stop eating" will never work....ever. A severely restricted diet would be a necessity to help this child. That diet might not seem restricted to you or another person who is used to eating normally....but to this child and many others who are obese, a "normal" meal size IS a restriction. BUT, once again...the point of the post was addressing the concept of "its simple", as that statement is absolutely incorrect.

jmo

The point was that all of that is great, wonderful.....but certainly NOT simple. It isn't a matter of ok...today we change. There are multiple factors that created the problem and saying "just stop eating" will never work....ever. A severely restricted diet would be a necessity to help this child. That diet might not seem restricted to you or another person who is used to eating normally....but to this child and many others who are obese, a "normal" meal size IS a restriction. BUT, once again...the point of the post was addressing the concept of "its simple", as that statement is absolutely incorrect.

jmo

Bottom line...the child's parents had 18 months to get on board, make their child's health a priority. EIGHTEEN MONTHS !!! They had help and support ...just like the vast majority of abused & neglected foster children...the parents FAILED.

jmo

Even though I get where you are coming from, I have to wonder why it isn't simple to teach someone that THIS is a portion size and even if you are still hungry you have to stop eating.

I mean all of us I would imagine have eaten an entire container of Haggen Daz ice cream, knowing full well it was about 10,000 calories, we all break the rules from time to time.

However when I make portions I show my kids the real sizes. A serving size of cheese is the size of two dice.

A serving size of steak is about the size of a deck of cards. That is the actual serving size. Hardly anyone I know eats that way. But to say that a normal portion size to an obese person is not enough, well that's the simple answer right there.

Engage will power, smarten up and realize that the "normal serving size" is probably 3 times larger than it should be, if you are eating even MORE then of COURSE you are going to gain weight.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/12/03/portion-size/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back