GUILTY OK - 4 dead, many injured when car crashed into crowd at OSU homecoming parade

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At this point, I'm inclined to think she was upset with someone at work or at home and was, in effect, having a hissy fit. She may have had suicidal thoughts, but then decided that hurting innocent people would get a bigger reaction. Perhaps she wanted the person who made her angry to feel guilty about what he/she "made her do" (deflecting blame).

If she is having a psychotic break now, I think it was triggered by the guilt of her own actions.

I agree with you, but think it was more than a hissyfit. I think she totally snapped but not into psychosis. More like she had an extreme impulse and lost control, due to her emotional state, maybe hoping she would die in the act.

With all due respect, what are you basing this assertion on -- that she appears to have poor impulse control?
I can't answer for BDE, but from reading her link I can see where it might apply to Adacia. In a moment of rage, she seemed to have acted on an impulse. From the article posted by BDE:

People with an impulse control disorder can’t resist the urge to do something harmful to themselves or others.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-are-impulse-control-disorders/

Traits include "intermittent explosive attacks of rage." This is what I had referred to earlier as a "hissy fit."

There are clusters of maladjusted behaviors recognized in psychology which are not recognized by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). So, I don't believe those "disorders" fall into a category of Mental Illness (a chemical imbalance in the brain). I think of those clusters of maladjusted behaviors as character flaws. IOW, people learn and adopt those behaviors as a result of experiences in which they get a desired reaction from people.

I agree with people who say that Adacia is emotionally immature. Again, I think she deliberately harmed innocent people in order to "punish" someone she was angry with. Sometimes children may hit another child when having a temper tantrum over something that doesn't even involve the other child. When an adult has the same reaction prompted by anger, they have a much greater capacity to harm someone than does a small child.

JMO

I can't answer for BDE, but from reading her link I can see where it might apply to Adacia. In a moment of rage, she seemed to have acted on an impulse. From the article posted by BDE:

http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-are-impulse-control-disorders/

Traits include "intermittent explosive attacks of rage." This is what I had referred to earlier as a "hissy fit."

There are clusters of maladjusted behaviors recognized in psychology which are not recognized by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). So, I don't believe those "disorders" fall into a category of Mental Illness (a chemical imbalance in the brain). I think of those clusters of maladjusted behaviors as character flaws. IOW, people learn and adopt those behaviors as a result of experiences in which they get a desired reaction from people.

I agree with people who say that Adacia is emotionally immature. Again, I think she deliberately harmed innocent people in order to "punish" someone she was angry with. Sometimes children may hit another child when having a temper tantrum over something that doesn't even involve the other child. When an adult has the same reaction prompted by anger, they have a much greater capacity to harm someone than does a small child.

JMO

It's difficult enough for a professional to diagnose a patient he or she is treating, and none would attempt it based on a single incident in a person's life. None of us have enough information to say whether or not she has a specific illness. There's no mention of "hissy fits" mentioned in the DSM-V.

Also, saying mental illnesses are "character flaws" is harmful, not true, and perpetuates stigma. People who are sick deserve compassion and treatment, not judgment.

It's difficult enough for a professional to diagnose a patient he or she is treating, and none would attempt it based on a single incident in a person's life. None of us have enough information to say whether or not she has a specific illness. There's no mention of "hissy fits" mentioned in the DSM-V.

Also, saying mental illnesses are "character flaws" is harmful, not true, and perpetuates stigma. People who are sick deserve compassion and treatment, not judgment.
I never said that mental illnesses are character flaws. I said just the opposite -- that certain clusters of maladjusted behaviors which are not caused by chemical imbalances in the brain differ from mental illnesses. Some psychological "disorders" are simply learned behaviors that cannot be treated with medications. It's just my opinion but, at this point, I think it's premature to "blame" mental illness for Adacia's behavior. IMO, that is what perpetuates stigma against MI -- quickly assuming MI as the cause of someone's destructive or violent behavior. The majority of people with MI are NOT dangerous.

I should have noted :moo: in my post re: Adacia's impulsive behavior. Plowing her car into bystanders at the parade seems like an impulsive act of rage to me. I'm curious about what precipitated the violent act and at what point following her departure from the restaurant she decided to drive her vehicle into the crowd. Perhaps we'll learn more about the Prosecution's case against Adacia during her next court appearance sometime next month. :moo:

Court battle continues over Chambers' mental health

Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 5:25 pm

By Timothy Cole and David Bitton tcole@stwnewspress.com dbitton@stwnewspress.com

A gag order has officially been issued on the release of information in the criminal case against Adacia Chambers, defendant in the Oklahoma State homecoming parade crash that killed four people and wounded 46 others. During the hearing Monday a competency evaluation was granted, and the criminal proceedings have been put on hold pending the outcome of that evaluation.

If a judge rules Chambers is not mentally capable of assisting in her own defense, she would be kept in mental health care until she could be re-evaluated...

Austin Thomas stated that the psychological evaluation presented by Coleman, in which a forensic psychologist determined her to be bipolar, was not sufficient to determine competency and that Chambers should be sent to a forensic examiner at the Oklahoma Forensic Center in Vinita.

Judge Duel agreed with Austin Thomas and granted the competency evaluation. Austin Thomas said the integrity of this case needs to be protected and that is why the gag order is being requested...

The next court date is set for 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 10, at which time the outcome of the competency evaluation will determine the next step in the criminal proceedings.

http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/co...cle_345135f2-8739-11e5-b849-739fca2411d1.html

I never said that mental illnesses are character flaws. I said just the opposite -- that certain clusters of maladjusted behaviors which are not caused by chemical imbalances in the brain differ from mental illnesses. Some psychological "disorders" are simply learned behaviors that cannot be treated with medications. It's just my opinion but, at this point, I think it's premature to "blame" mental illness for Adacia's behavior. IMO, that is what perpetuates stigma against MI -- quickly assuming MI as the cause of someone's destructive or violent behavior. The majority of people with MI are NOT dangerous.

I don't want to blame her actions on mental illness either. And I agree with you the majority of people with mental illnesses are not dangerous or likely to be violent, but I don't think adding a sub-category is helpful. If it's an illness it's an illness. If I'm reading what you said correctly you said the maladjusted behaviour/impulsive control disorders are not mental illnesses. I don't think all violent behaviour or criminal acts are due to illness (as you said most likely not) but the clusters (impulse control disorders) count as mental illnesses. Lots of illnesses are not caused by chemical imbalances - anxiety disorders, eating disorders, borderline personality disorder, dissociative identity disorder, etc. I don't think it's okay to stigmatize any mental illness, period.

What is an Impulse Control Disorder?

Impulse Control Disorders are a specific group of impulsive behaviours that have been accepted as psychiatric disorders under the DSM-IV- TR . Although they have been grouped together in this diagnostic category, there are striking differences as well as similarities between these disorders.

An Impulse Control Disorder can be loosely defined as the failure to resist an impulsive act or behaviour that may be harmful to self or others. For purposes of this definition, an impulsive behaviour or act is considered to be one that is not premeditated or not considered in advance and one over which the individual has little or no control.
The diagnosis is a psychiatric condition. The act that results from the disorder is often a criminal behavior.

Obsessively pulling one's hair* isn't simply a character flaw. I don't understand how anyone could suggest it is.

That said... I don't know if Adacia's actions are the result of a mental illness or if she just lost control after an upsetting event, or something else. It really seems like something more than depression or bipolar disorder, imo, even though she might have either one of those illnesses. I agree the definition of impulse control behavior seems to fit what she did, but there's no way we can know, and if that's what happened then she has an illness.

*Trichotillomania, an impulse control disorder.

:tyou: for the above article, Schmae. Adacia's mental health will probably be in the forefront at trial, but I doubt she will be found incompetent and unable to assist in her own defense. :moo:

I hope the families of the victims find comfort and peace among loved ones during the holiday season and that those who were injured are recovering from the ordeal :praying:

Very cool article here. :)

http://www.fox4news.com/news/u-s-world/54308015-story

''The hospital that treated more than three dozen people after the deadly car crash at Oklahoma State's homecoming parade says it will not bill the patients for their treatment.

Stillwater Medical Center says patients won't be billed or held liable for out-of-pocket expenses incurred in the emergency room or during their hospital stays if they were admitted for treatment following the Oct. 24 crash.'''

Very cool article here. :)

http://www.fox4news.com/news/u-s-world/54308015-story

''The hospital that treated more than three dozen people after the deadly car crash at Oklahoma State's homecoming parade says it will not bill the patients for their treatment.

Stillwater Medical Center says patients won't be billed or held liable for out-of-pocket expenses incurred in the emergency room or during their hospital stays if they were admitted for treatment following the Oct. 24 crash.'''

That is wonderful to hear, thank you so much for posting.

That is wonderful to hear, thank you so much for posting.

Wow. Very unusual for the hospital to do something like that. Usually hospitals want to collect every penny, whether injury is your fault or not.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...352667651.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DFWBrand
''A document filed in court shows the woman accused of killing four people and injuring dozens of others after driving through Oklahoma State University's homecoming parade last month had a blood-alcohol content lower the legal intoxication threshold.''

ETA .01 BAC sounds to me like from drinking the night before.

Yes it does. Not surprising. Wonder about any toxicology results for other substances like drugs?

That's wonderful news about the hospital and its victims!

Driver accused in 2015 OSU homecoming parade crash agrees to let case move forward

http://newsok.com/article/5489768

The driver accused in the fatal 2015 Oklahoma State homecoming parade crash agreed Tuesday to let her murder case move forward to trial.

Adacia Avery Chambers waived her preliminary hearing that was set to begin Thursday morning. Payne County prosecutors would have presented evidence to a judge who would have determined if there was probable cause to send Chambers to trial.

Her next court appearance is set for May 4.

I wonder why she's not stalling like most do. I'm glad but it's odd. Maybe she just is ready to take her punishment for the lives she took.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phonekace14
Back