GUILTY OK - 4 dead, many injured when car crashed into crowd at OSU homecoming parade

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder why she's not stalling like most do. I'm glad but it's odd. Maybe she just is ready to take her punishment for the lives she took.

From the above linked article.

“It is not unusual for defendants to waive their right to a preliminary hearing," District Attorney Laura Austin Thomas said.

Woman charged with killing four and injuring dozens more after crashing her car into Oklahoma State homecoming parade pleads not guilty

Adacia Avery Chambers, 25, pleaded not guilty on all 46 counts over crash

She is charged with four counts of second-degree murder and 42 counts of assault and battery after driving into Oklahoma State homecoming parade

While Chambers admits driving the car, her lawyer claims she is mentally ill

Attorney previously said she has no memory of accident and 'blacked out'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tate-homecoming-parade-pleads-not-guilty.html

http://www.news9.com/story/31967573...k-judge-for-money-to-pay-for-expert-witnesses
''Adacia Chambers' attorneys are expected to ask a judge for money to pay for expert witnesses. ''

No, no , no! Buying expert witnesses is for people who can pay for a defense.

So only people with money should be able to get a good defense? I have never heard of this trend of courts paying for expert witnesses for public defender’s clients, until recently, but I think it’s a good one. If expert witnesses are going to be allowed in courts, then everybody should get them, not just the rich.

Adacia Chambers' attorney files notice to seek insanity defense in fatal OSU homecoming crash

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/adacia-chambers-attorney-files-notice-to-seek-insanity-defense-in/article_03a67d6e-faf2-5b9b-ad31-dc318187f79f.html

On Friday, Chambers’ defense attorney, Tony Coleman, filed the notice of intent to raise the question of mental illness or insanity in her defense.

Coleman didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment Monday afternoon.

It’s not clear whether he will pursue an insanity defense for Chambers or if the notice of intent was a procedural action. Attorneys have 30 days after a formal arraignment to file a motion of intent to raise the mental illness or insanity defense; failure to do so precludes seeking that defense later on.

In some states, the burden of proof lies on the defense to prove that the defendant is insane. In Oklahoma, however, it is the prosecution that must prove that the defendant was sane at the time of the crime. A successful insanity defense yields a not guilty verdict rather than a conviction, and the defendant is committed to a state mental hospital for treatment.

If she's been diagnosed with a serious mental illness (before or after) I'm not sure how the prosecution could prove she was sane at the time of the crime. She was in the car alone. Witnesses saw her before and after, but who can say what kind of condition she was in when she did this?

If she's been diagnosed with a serious mental illness (before or after) I'm not sure how the prosecution could prove she was sane at the time of the crime. She was in the car alone. Witnesses saw her before and after, but who can say what kind of condition she was in when she did this?

Mental illness doesn't rise in the level of temporary insanity and isn't a defense in and of itself, no more than being under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the commission of a crime.

The prosecution isn't required to prove her sane, it's the defense who has to prove her insane. As far as I can recall, gaining access to the victims required more than simply running off the side of the road during a black out.

Mental illness doesn't rise in the level of temporary insanity and isn't a defense in and of itself, no more than being under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the commission of a crime.

The prosecution isn't required to prove her sane, it's the defense who has to prove her insane. As far as I can recall, gaining access to the victims required more than simply running off the side of the road during a black out.

From the link above:

In Oklahoma, however, it is the prosecution that must prove that the defendant was sane at the time of the crime.

From the link above:

In some states, the burden of proof lies on the defense to prove that the defendant is insane. In Oklahoma, however, it is the prosecution that must prove that the defendant was sane at the time of the crime. A successful insanity defense yields a not guilty verdict rather than a conviction, and the defendant is committed to a state mental hospital for treatment.

ETA: sorry, cross-posted with bluesneakers!

I imagine the bar for sanity, as in most states, is relatively low, especially once found competent to stand trial. Would a prosecution move forward with a case if they felt they didn't have what they need to prove sanity or rule out insanity?

People are often found not guilty by reason of insanity so apparently they do.

People are often found not guilty by reason of insanity so apparently they do.

Do you know the statistics for Oklahoma? Is there a website or consensus showing the percentage of successful insanity cases?

The only stats I could find (WIKI & various legal blogs) show the insanity defense is used in approx 1% of all homicide cases and only 25% are successful. This includes states with the M'Naghten Rule.

Prosecutor wants own expert witness to examine OSU parade crash defendant

he woman charged in the October 2015 fatal Oklahoma State University homecoming crash will not have to reappear in court until at least October.
Adacia Chambers, 26, was not present in Associate District Judge Stephen Kistler’s courtroom for a Tuesday afternoon pretrial status conference ahead of her Jan. 10 jury trial date in Stillwater.

[Payne County District Attorney Laura Austin] Thomas said at the hearing that the state would like to have its own witness examine Chambers if Coleman intends to call Dr. Shawn Roberson, the psychologist who met with Chambers soon after her arrest, to the witness stand. Coleman said Roberson has not yet performed his evaluation because he hasn’t yet received a copy of the final order from Kistler approving the use of state funds to pay for his services.

From the link:

At the time of the crash, Chambers worked at Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers in Stillwater. The restaurant's general manager said Chambers was a “good worker” but not on the day of the crash, according to the witness list.

The manager said she was sitting at a booth and staring out the window with a smirk on her face. The manager also said she gave a two-week notice because she claimed she missed her family, prosecutors wrote.

A co-worker at the restaurant reported Chambers said she didn't feel good and left her shift because she broke up with her boyfriend, according to the witness list.

I don't think it was ever (publicly) established as to why she left work early. I may have missed that she broke up with her boyfriend since I thought I remember reading that they were moving to another town together.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?293314-OK-4-dead-many-injured-when-car-crashed-into-crowd-at-OSU-homecoming-parade&p=12144434#post12144434

She wanted to kill herself? Fine, do it. But the fact that she tried to take out a bunch of innocent people along with her with a deadly two-ton weapon...selfish <modsnip>. Sorry sugar, you want to be free? Hopefully not in this lifetime.

Judge orders defense to produce OSU crash suspect's psych evaluation for prosecutors

Attorneys for Adacia Chambers have two weeks to produce the doctor's report from her psychological evaluation or the doctor who examined her.

During a hearing Wednesday, a Payne County judge said one of the two must be presented to prosecutors by Oct. 19 if the defense plans on pursuing an insanity defense.

http://ktul.com/news/local/judge-or...ash-suspects-psych-evaluation-for-prosecutors

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingcampbell97
Back