GUILTY OK - 4 dead, many injured when car crashed into crowd at OSU homecoming parade

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You are talented to be able to know what others mean by what they write, clearly.

Freddy's isn't a "stand" - it's a franchise restaurant.

I am not Jeanna, but clearly she meant that victims of the crush (or their relatives) will sue the stand.

I'm not sure if it's already been posted, but there's a video of the crash on our local news site. I just watched it, and as the car is plowing through the crowd, I noticed her brake lights never came on. What the hell was she doing??

I'm not sure if it's already been posted, but there's a video of the crash on our local news site. I just watched it, and as the car is plowing through the crowd, I noticed her brake lights never came on. What the hell was she doing??

That is what made me think of the Santa Monica crash--the lack of braking:

Weller's car struck a 2003 Mercedes-Benz S430 sedan that had stopped to allow pedestrians through a crosswalk, then accelerated around a road closure sign, crashed through wooden sawhorses, and plowed through the busy marketplace crowd, traveling nearly 1,000 feet (300 m) at speeds between 40 and 60 mph (60 and 100 km/h). The entire sequence of collisions took at least 10 seconds.

By the time the car came to a halt, ten people had been killed and 63 were injured. Weller told investigators he had accidentally placed his foot on the accelerator pedal instead of the brake, then tried to brake but could not stop. Days after the crash, Weller issued a statement saying he was distraught and heartbroken, and his attorney called it an accident.

Witnesses spoke about the elderly man NEVER braking, just accelerating through the carnage. It was so horrible.

I wonder if she is going to try the same excuse?

Oh, man. I just watched it. I really don't know. Obviously drugs (in my opinion) were a factor, but after watching it multiple times... I am starting to question whether or not it was intentional.

Geesh... absolutely heartbreaking.

ETA: It actually looks like after initially barreling her car through the crowd, she swerves back into the crowd. And it's absolutely correct that she didn't brake at all.

She hasn't actually been diagnosed with anything "mental." Her lawyer isn't a psychologist or a psychiatrist.

you know for a fact that she has not been diagnosed with a mental illness? i have not seen that fact anywhere yet.

and who knows if it has anything to do with this case but walking fine and showing no outward signs of a head injury does not mean someone has not suffered a significant head injury ie being severely concussed.

Wonder if she knew people who were at the parade that day and was mad at someone there. Like really mad. Was she mad at the school? Did she (was she) attend any classes there?

Five possibilities.

1. Driver medical problem
2. Driver mental health problem
3. Driver drug problem
4. Vehicle mechanical problem.
5. Driver error e.g., foot on the accelerator, instead of the brake.

This is such a sad story. I read this about one of the survivors.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/26/us/oklahoma-car-into-crowd/

Madison Atwell, 7, survived the lunging car with six broken ribs, a concussion and stitches, her family said.

But someone may have died while saving Madison.

Her aunt, Julie Franklin, said a woman at the scene pushed Madison out of the way. The car took the woman's life instead, Franklin said.

It is clear to me that Miss Chambers did not suffer a medical emergency and I trust that Law Enforcement had amble evidence to arrest her for DUI. I won't be shocked to learn that drugs were found in her possession (in her car) at the scene.

While I do understand that people want to try and find a reason, other than her drug use, for her actions... I am not one of those people.

It is very clear that she is under the influence of "something" in her mugshot. I am going to assume that that "something" is prescription drugs... and, in my opinion only, they were obtained illegally.

I think Miss Chambers was NOT the person many people thought she was... or they knew exactly who she was... but they are either in deep denial or covering for her in the media.

I am also not going to jump on the "mental illness" bandwagon.

These types of tragedies happen every day. Not on this scale, but innocent people are killed every day due to the actions of those who drive under the influence. I cannot muster up one ounce of sympathy for Miss Chambers and I look forward to her spending the rest of her life in prison.

Of course, I do not have a lot to go on. Only personal experience and knowing how easy it is to try and blame anything and anyone other than the person responsible for the carnage they have caused.

Miss Chambers is solely responsible for her actions that day and my heart aches for the lives lost and the lives of those innocent people who were personally effected by HER actions that day.

All my opinion.

I don't really understand lawyers these days talking up a big story in the press at the outset of a case. I think throwing out that she has a mental illness is a way to perhaps gain some sympathy for her. But there are lots of people with mental illness who are not driving into crowds and killing people. And again, I will say if she was mentally sound enough to be a good employee, she was sound enough to know how to operate her car and if she worked at a cafe and served the public food ( which i assume is what she did at her job ) then she's capable of determining the public are humans who would be killed by her car. When a lawyer comes out and says it's a mental illness, then that paints the impression for others that mental illness causes people to do these things, which is a grave disservice to the mentally ill , most of whom are quiet, peaceful, law abiding and non violent people.

you know for a fact that she has not been diagnosed with a mental illness? i have not seen that fact anywhere yet.

and who knows if it has anything to do with this case but walking fine and showing no outward signs of a head injury does not mean someone has not suffered a significant head injury ie being severely concussed.

Hospital wouldn't have released her right away if she suffered a significant head injury. And yes, I do know that she has not been diagnosed with a mental illness, because her layer said as much.

I don't really understand lawyers these days talking up a big story in the press at the outset of a case. I think throwing out that she has a mental illness is a way to perhaps gain some sympathy for her. But there are lots of people with mental illness who are not driving into crowds and killing people. And again, I will say if she was mentally sound enough to be a good employee, she was sound enough to know how to operate her car and if she worked at a cafe and served the public food ( which i assume is what she did at her job ) then she's capable of determining the public are humans who would be killed by her car. When a lawyer comes out and says it's a mental illness, then that paints the impression for others that mental illness causes people to do these things, which is a grave disservice to the mentally ill , most of whom are quiet, peaceful, law abiding and non violent people.

ITA. Her lawyer seems to be throwing everything out there to see what sticks. He saw her for one hour and managed to come up with a claim that she is suffering from some unknown mental illness. He isn't shrink.

Hospital wouldn't have released her right away if she suffered a significant head injury. And yes, I do know that she has not been diagnosed with a mental illness, because her layer said as much.

having a concussion does not require hospitalization most of the time, and thanx for the info about her lawyer saying she has never been diagnosed with mental illness, i had not heard that.

She is actually charged with second degree murder (four counts).
That was later. The initial charge was DUI. Again, what evidence did they have of DUI. Here's a excerpt from the press.

"Investigators, in consultation with the Payne County District Attorney’s Office, decided on Sunday to file an affidavit charging Chambers with four counts of second degree murder, said Cpt. Kyle Gibbs, a spokesman for the Stillwater Police Department. The charges are in addition to the initial charge of driving under the influence (DUI)."

That was later. The initial charge was DUI. Again, what evidence did they have of DUI. Here's a excerpt from the press.

"Investigators, in consultation with the Payne County District Attorney’s Office, decided on Sunday to file an affidavit charging Chambers with four counts of second degree murder, said Cpt. Kyle Gibbs, a spokesman for the Stillwater Police Department. The charges are in addition to the initial charge of driving under the influence (DUI)."

This is where it gets tricky, and I could be wrong. I don't think she's been charged with anything yet - they are intending to charge her today with 4 counts of 2nd degree murder. Initially, she was held on "suspicion of DUI", and LE has made it clear they don't think alcohol was a factor.

So a breathalizer wouldn't be useful in what they are charging her with - influence of something other than alcohol.

If I understand it, she hasn't been charged with anything but will at her court appearance today.

having a concussion does not require hospitalization most of the time, and thanx for the info about her lawyer saying she has never been diagnosed with mental illness, i had not heard that.

She is due in court today. I really don't think there is any suggestion she had any head injury.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phonekace14
Back