OK OK - Daryn Collie, 32, Guthrie, 26 May 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a case in San Diego a few years ago when Erik Wales disappeared. He left for work and wasn't seen again. His car was found abandoned in a fairly dangerous part of town underneath the tall Coronado Bay Bridge. Was he carjacked? Did he jump from the bridge? No. It turned out he had left to pursue a different lifestyle, as his family discovered months later. I don't know what the lifestyle was.
Found Safe CA - Erick Wales, 24, San Diego, 19 April 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'm hoping Daryn just didn't want to tell his family about some stuff, so he thought he could just go off and be whatever without them ever knowing.

Can someone sum up what we know about cell phone pings and credit card use?

I would like to make a map with pings, credit card use, his home, and location of the car.

ETA: does Daryn have a fb account?

LE has the phone pings and was in the process of obtaining the credit card information, but I don't believe they've released any information about it at this time.

Two more views of the area around Mt. Hood, showing a variety of terrain.
d3cd9d3e-f0c7-4768-9b8a-95f675ed905e_zps2068a253.jpg

http://beautifulhoodriver.com/index.php?showimage=207

mounthood_zps09c1ea84.jpg

http://byways.org/stories/74829

Wow! Gorgeous! But not the kind of little trek a non-hiking fella would willingly take, eh?

Is it possible that the police have misidentified his fursuit as a sleeping bag? Most fursuits (unless you have some ace sewing skills or big bucks to have one custom made) resemble something like a mascot costume - kind of a big bag with a zipper. I could see how LE might think it was some sort of novelty sleeping bag at first glance, especially if it was rolled up. Please don't ask me how I know these things.

Also, I know you stated earlier that the phone had pinged in NWA but then stated this was erroneous info. Does the family have any info from his cellular provider at all? His phone company should provide this in 24 hours (usually much less) when requested by LE.

What about his employer - has anyone spoken to his boss? I know he stated he was supposed to work on Monday but has his employer indicated this was the case? Did he call in sick or anything?

His laptop was found in the car. Is there any evidence that it has been recently reformatted or browser history cleared?

Any financial records info yet? Large withdrawals of cash from his bank account? Credit or debit purchases since he has been missing? Was he in financial trouble?

In some ways this reminds me of the girl (don't recall the name) that disappeared from DFW airport last year. She attended a family celebration and then failed to get on her return flight home. She was finally found several months later having started a new life. Daryl similarly attended a family celebration and disappeared immediately on his return home.

I am sure it has been mentioned, but how long was the trip to N.Y. for? I can see someone babysitting the cat for him, but if it was boarded, they take an emergency number other than your own, someone would have been phoned by now. So my guess is its with a friend.

I don't know how financially secure he is. I do know I am not a rich person, when I go on a road trip I bring a sleeping bag and pillow in my back seat. That way I rest in comfort during my breaks. I find a secure location and sleep in back seat. I wonder if the sleeping bag was rolled up or just kinda bunched up in his car. I am a slob when I travel a long distance, usually don't bother to roll it up again until I reach my destination. The fact he had his passport does perplex me.... headed from OKC to Oregon makes me think he was going to cross over into Canada, but for what reason. I would love to know if he worked, or if he was on a vacation ..if so for how long was he expected to be off work? Also, did he have a girlfriend / boyfriend? Do we know if he has been married before? Just does he have any ties to hold him down.
Did he leave Job Corp in Guthrie alone? Did any resident there possibly ask him for a ride to town. Job Corp sits out a bit. I don't know about now, but back when I lived in Guthrie Job Corp was known to have a lot of unsavory characters living there. IMHO

I am sure it has been mentioned, but how long was the trip to N.Y. for? I can see someone babysitting the cat for him, but if it was boarded, they take an emergency number other than your own, someone would have been phoned by now. So my guess is its with a friend.

I don't know how financially secure he is. I do know I am not a rich person, when I go on a road trip I bring a sleeping bag and pillow in my back seat. That way I rest in comfort during my breaks. I find a secure location and sleep in back seat. I wonder if the sleeping bag was rolled up or just kinda bunched up in his car. I am a slob when I travel a long distance, usually don't bother to roll it up again until I reach my destination. The fact he had his passport does perplex me.... headed from OKC to Oregon makes me think he was going to cross over into Canada, but for what reason. I would love to know if he worked, or if he was on a vacation ..if so for how long was he expected to be off work? Also, did he have a girlfriend / boyfriend? Do we know if he has been married before? Just does he have any ties to hold him down.
Did he leave Job Corp in Guthrie alone? Did any resident there possibly ask him for a ride to town. Job Corp sits out a bit. I don't know about now, but back when I lived in Guthrie Job Corp was known to have a lot of unsavory characters living there. IMHO

It is possible he could have brought the sleeping bag, just as you did on your travels, to be comfortable at night or when he tired from the long drive from Oklahoma, to pull off somewhere to sleep for a few hours.
I, too, had thoughts about Job Corp and if he picked up a hitch hiker from there after he dropped off his brother at Job Corp. In My Opinion...

This person writes that police are treating his disappearance as an abduction, and that his phone was not "receiving phone calls", whatever that means (no reception, turned off?).

http://www.flayrah.com/5057/missing-fur-darraby

Also, in the article it states:

"Daryn Collie (aka Darraby) had just dropped off a relative on the way back from the airport. He let them know he was heading straight to his Oklahoma home, as he had to work the next day. He never made it."

But on Post 57 from yesterday from My-Tee-Mouse,
there's additional information.
that Daryn's brother implies that he and Daryn stopped by Daryn's apartment then took him to Job Corp in Guthrie.

What I don't understand is, since they were going to go to Daryn's first then Job Corp, why didn't Daryn drop off some of his things from the trip to New York, like his suitcase if he took that to New York and the suit, if it wasn't his "fur suit", because as long as they were going to pick up his brother's back pack at the apartment, they could have unloaded a few things in the apartment, unless the brother had the keys and let himself in to get the backpack while Daryn waited in the car?
Maybe this is some misinformation, too, then since everybody has bits and pieces of the story? But the brother would know when he got the backpack, and that would have had to have been before Daryn disappeared right?
In My Opinion.....

Hi Folks,

As mentioned before, I submitted a list of questions to the family earlier today. We have to respect the fact that they are overwhelmed by this situation and are trying to answer questions and get questions answered from a number of people/sites/agencies.

I love the enthusiasm, and I know that having the answers to some of these questions would enable us to put pieces together. There are probably lots of things they do not know, and there are probably some things they do not want to answer. All we can do at this point is wait to see if they will answer the questions and do what we do when there's no real direct link to the family of the missing...and that's take what we have to work with and go from there. We have to remember that the object of the game is not for the family to help us but for us to help them.

I know the lack of MSM coverage on this case is really holding back the sleuthing juices in so many ways, and why MSM in OK and OR aren't seeing fit to run the story is anyone's guess. Perhaps they have tried and hit a big brick wall with LE. All you have to do is pull up some of the "missing" FB pages, NaMus, and other resources, and you see that there are so many adults who go missing and stay missing for a long time. Maybe that means it's just no longer "news." I don't know. I can only speculate.

I know we like our answers, and we like our answers now, dadnabit! lol But we are just going to have to do what we can as sleuthers to find out what we can through the various informal sources of information, put that together, cull through it, and try to come up with theories and suggestions that help the family find their loved one. Until answers trickle in, we do what it seems we do best on this site...:waiting: and :please::grouphug:

Hi Folks,

As mentioned before, I submitted a list of questions to the family earlier today. We have to respect the fact that they are overwhelmed by this situation and are trying to answer questions and get questions answered from a number of people/sites/agencies.

I love the enthusiasm, and I know that having the answers to some of these questions would enable us to put pieces together. There are probably lots of things they do not know, and there are probably some things they do not want to answer. All we can do at this point is wait to see if they will answer the questions and do what we do when there's no real direct link to the family of the missing...and that's take what we have to work with and go from there. We have to remember that the object of the game is not for the family to help us but for us to help them.

I know the lack of MSM coverage on this case is really holding back the sleuthing juices in so many ways, and why MSM in OK and OR aren't seeing fit to run the story is anyone's guess. Perhaps they have tried and hit a big brick wall with LE. All you have to do is pull up some of the "missing" FB pages, NaMus, and other resources, and you see that there are so many adults who go missing and stay missing for a long time. Maybe that means it's just no longer "news." I don't know. I can only speculate.

I know we like our answers, and we like our answers now, dadnabit! lol But we are just going to have to do what we can as sleuthers to find out what we can through the various informal sources of information, put that together, cull through it, and try to come up with theories and suggestions that help the family find their loved one. Until answers trickle in, we do what it seems we do best on this site...:waiting: and :please::grouphug:

Oregon is usually really good on missing persons and there is the Northwest Missing Persons FB that is too. Course, if LE isn't making a big deal out of it, they won't know to get the word out.

Is it possible that the police have misidentified his fursuit as a sleeping bag? Most fursuits (unless you have some ace sewing skills or big bucks to have one custom made) resemble something like a mascot costume - kind of a big bag with a zipper. I could see how LE might think it was some sort of novelty sleeping bag at first glance, especially if it was rolled up. Please don't ask me how I know these things. lol. I won't, but interesting info, and interesting concept that the "sleeping bag" might be his fursuit! I guess they've figured that out by now...probably?

Also, I know you stated earlier that the phone had pinged in NWA but then stated this was erroneous info. Does the family have any info from his cellular provider at all? His phone company should provide this in 24 hours (usually much less) when requested by LE. Please see Elainera's post re phone above.

What about his employer - has anyone spoken to his boss? I know he stated he was supposed to work on Monday but has his employer indicated this was the case? Did he call in sick or anything? This is one of the questions submitted to family. Hopefully they have been in contact with the employer and have the answers to this. It would certainly go a long way in helping determine if Daryn's leaving was of his own choosing.

His laptop was found in the car. Is there any evidence that it has been recently reformatted or browser history cleared? We don't know, but hopefully LE is looking into this since they have the laptop.

Any financial records info yet? Large withdrawals of cash from his bank account? Credit or debit purchases since he has been missing? Was he in financial trouble? Nothing with regard to this has been released by LE or the family that I recall. I'm not sure, frankly, if the family will be comfortable sharing this information with the public. LE will share it if they think it will help, no doubt, so keep an eye out for MSM! (We all need to be keeping an eye out for MSM).

In some ways this reminds me of the girl (don't recall the name) that disappeared from DFW airport last year. She attended a family celebration and then failed to get on her return flight home. She was finally found several months later having started a new life. Daryl similarly attended a family celebration and disappeared immediately on his return home.

Answers are in bold above. Hopefully he did just decide it was time to start over, ran out of gas, and now he's wandering around trails waiting for someone to come get him.

I am sure it has been mentioned, but how long was the trip to N.Y. for? I can see someone babysitting the cat for him, but if it was boarded, they take an emergency number other than your own, someone would have been phoned by now. So my guess is its with a friend. It was to attend a graduation. I haven't seen it mentioned that it was extended to a lengthy vacation on the part of Daryn or his brother.

I don't know how financially secure he is. I do know I am not a rich person, when I go on a road trip I bring a sleeping bag and pillow in my back seat. That way I rest in comfort during my breaks. I find a secure location and sleep in back seat. I wonder if the sleeping bag was rolled up or just kinda bunched up in his car. I am a slob when I travel a long distance, usually don't bother to roll it up again until I reach my destination. The fact he had his passport does perplex me.... headed from OKC to Oregon makes me think he was going to cross over into Canada, but for what reason. I would love to know if he worked, or if he was on a vacation ..if so for how long was he expected to be off work? Also, did he have a girlfriend / boyfriend? Do we know if he has been married before? Just does he have any ties to hold him down. Yeah, intending on crossing into Canada is a possibility. Hopefully any of his Canadian associates have been alerted to his disappearance. Please see response to employment questions above. The family has not made public any information regarding his personal life as to relationships at this time that I know of.
Did he leave Job Corp in Guthrie alone? Did any resident there possibly ask him for a ride to town. Job Corp sits out a bit. I don't know about now, but back when I lived in Guthrie Job Corp was known to have a lot of unsavory characters living there. IMHO That's definitely one of the questions of the hour: Did he agree to give someone a ride and ran into trouble from there?

So glad to see so many people have their thinking caps on!

Also, in the article it states:

"Daryn Collie (aka Darraby) had just dropped off a relative on the way back from the airport. He let them know he was heading straight to his Oklahoma home, as he had to work the next day. He never made it."

But on Post 57 from yesterday from My-Tee-Mouse,
there's additional information.
that Daryn's brother implies that he and Daryn stopped by Daryn's apartment then took him to Job Corp in Guthrie.

What I don't understand is, since they were going to go to Daryn's first then Job Corp, why didn't Daryn drop off some of his things from the trip to New York, like his suitcase if he took that to New York and the suit, if it wasn't his "fur suit", because as long as they were going to pick up his brother's back pack at the apartment, they could have unloaded a few things in the apartment, unless the brother had the keys and let himself in to get the backpack while Daryn waited in the car?
Maybe this is some misinformation, too, then since everybody has bits and pieces of the story? But the brother would know when he got the backpack, and that would have had to have been before Daryn disappeared right?
In My Opinion.....

It's the latest information we have though! lol The brother states that they went by Daryn's to pick up a backpack he left there then went on to Job Corps. Maybe it was one of those, "Oh carp! I left my backpack at your house, and I have to have it for Job Corps!" kind of deals. And then they had to high-tail it to Daryn's, grab the backpack and hurry to get the brother to Job Corps on time. I hear what you're saying. To the best of our WS knowledge, as of this moment, the last person to see Daryn was his brother when he dropped the brother off at Job Corps. It is the brother that has supplied the information that they stopped by Daryn's before heading to Job Corps. It is the brother that supplied the information that Daryn said he needed to hurry home; then he dropped the brother off. Wonder if the brother noticed if anyone approached Daryn? Wonder if anyone else saw anyone approach Daryn? Hope to goodness LE has asked this!

Again...I don't know! But I sure haven't been able to find a bloomin' thing either.

We are dealing with a dad, step-mom, and mom, all of whom seem to be contacting certain groups and bringing the info back. At the risk of sounding rude to family members, let's just say that 1/3 of that group may not be completely reliable or diligent in the reporting; that could have an impact on the skewed aspects of the story. And there are simply additional details of that night being added to the original story...either by the brother, or the family is just now adding them. But the NaMus indicates to me that the family didn't have the whole story the first go-round themselves.

Bless you for your hard work on Daryn's story. I never understand why people don't shout from the roof tops and jump up and down to get a story out. This is very frustrating. The brother is also cofusing to me. I wish you well in this, but those folks have to help and do their part!! We will still be here to try to figure it out! I feel your frustration.

This is new from the Hood River Co. OR sheriff's site; I last looked earlier this afternoon.
Sheriff's Office Assisting Oklahoma Authorities with Missing Person's Case - 06/08/13
HOOD RIVER, ORE. - The Hood River County Sheriff's Office is assisting the Guthrie, Oklahoma Police Department with an investigation into the disappearance of thirty-two year old Daryn Ray "Darraby" Collie of Del City, Oklahoma.

Collie was last seen on May 26, when he dropped his brother off at work in Guthrie. On June 6, 2013, Collie's vehicle, a 2007 burnt orange colored Dodge Nitro bearing Oklahoma license plates was located at a trailhead off of Highway 35, in the upper Hood River Valley.

Sheriff's Office personnel, assisted by United States Forest Service Law Enforcement have been conducting searches of the area for the last two days by foot and air. No further leads regarding Collie's whereabouts have been developed.

Collie is described as a white male, 6' 1", 250 lbs. He has long wavy shoulder length hair with a receding hair line. His fingernails have been filed to points and his left thumbnail has a titanium spike affixed to it. He was entered as a missing person on May 31, 2013. Additional information about Collie can be found in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System located at: http://www.namus.gov.

If the public has any information regarding the whereabouts of Daryn Ray Collie or may have seen him or his vehicle in the area within the last two weeks, they are asked to contact the Hood River County Sheriff's Office Investigation's Division Tip Line at 541 387-7077.
http://flashalert.net/news.html?id=1816

I also wanted to add because the brother said that he and Daryn went to get the backpack at Daryn's apartment, and if Daryn did not drop anything off at the apartment, but his brother got his backpack, could that mean that Daryn was all ready to go for a planned trip out of town to Oregon, as his suitcase was with him from the New York trip, and logically, if that is the case, he did not need to put it in the apartment, because he would be needing it for the Oregon trip, if indeed that is the case?? In My Opinion...

One thing about the finger nails, is I knew a man who played the banjo and he had a titanium thumb spike. He used it for banjo string plucking. He said it's not common but he knew others who did it so your nail is not filed off all the time by strings. But he didn't have all the nails pointed. Sooo, does Daryn play an instrument? Is he in a band?

I also wanted to add because the brother said that he and Daryn went to get the backpack at Daryn's apartment, and if Daryn did not drop anything off at the apartment, but his brother got his backpack, could that mean that Daryn was all ready to go for a planned trip out of town to Oregon, as his suitcase was with him from the New York trip, and logically, if that is the case, he did not need to put it in the apartment, because he would be needing it for the Oregon trip, if indeed that is the case?? In My Opinion...

True enough. It might have already been planned at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach