Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's where my mind is going at this point:

Daryn did not indicate to family, fiance, or employer that he intended on taking off on a trip. In fact, his brother reports that Daryn had said he was in a hurry to get home to rest up for work. That was on a Sunday night.

Daryn is in the habit of picking up hitchhikers.

There was a sleeping bag found in Daryn's wiped-down car states away from Daryn's home after he's been missing for days with no contact with his family.

Daryn is not into hiking or rock climbing, yet his car is found in an area known for these pursuits, cleaned of all trash, backed in, front tag removed. No sign of Daryn.

My present mindset is that Daryn probably picked up a hitchhiker on May 26. There could have been someone around the Job Corps site that asked for a ride, or Daryn could have picked someone up along I-35 between Guthrie and Del City. Daryn might have stopped for gas, and someone asked him for a ride at the station.

I think that sleeping bag belongs to the hitchhiker and not Daryn at all. I think the hitchhiker immediately gained control of Daryn in some way. Whether he hurt Daryn immediately, left him somewhere and took off in Daryn's car or whether he forced Daryn to drive him toward Oregon and hurt him and left him along the way I do not know at this point. I hope to goodness there is video along the way to tell us that. The credit card trail will definitely help in determining this.

I do not believe for one minute that Daryn left of his own accord. He had a job, a fiance, and many interests. He has loving family members, and most of this family is very close-knit. He appeared to be in a "good place" in his life. He left no note. There is no indication that he took his cat with him, and people who love their pets do not abandon them.

I have left my mind open to the various scenarios that go along with a voluntary disappearance, and they just do not ring true, especially in light of the latest about the condition of the vehicle when found.

Of course this is JMO based on what we know at this point. But based on this, I feel that the primary investigation should focus around Guthrie, the route home, and then the possible routes to OR and in that order.

The car being out of gas has really bothered me since reading about this yesterday. The fact that it was stated it was parked at a trailhead really leaves out it accidently running out of gas to me. So...I pondered on this as I rolled over and drifted into la la land last night. (I do some of my best mental thinking at that time)

I then wake up to see your post above mine My Tee.... I think this is foul play....(for sure now after reading your post). I had an "aha" moment while sleeping. How does a car end up parked at a trailhead totally out of gas? Well, In my opinion that is the "meet up place". If the abductor was headed to a location and could not make it or even if he could, he would choose a desolate location close to where he could get picked up to dump the car. If this person did not have the funds to refill the tank, he would get as close as he could and then park it waiting on his ride. It gets cold near/in the mountains at night. I think the car was there at night. I think the person sat and ran the car for heat or music while waiting on his pick up/ride. I don't think they planned on running the car totally out of gas, I think this just happened. I can see the person sitting there saying "carp" as the car sputted out of gas hoping their ride would get there soon.

I really have a very bad feeling at this point. IMHO

Also to answer your question about hitchers at the reststop between Guthrie and OKC. Even though they are patrolled, the answer is yes they do or did contain hitchers. One time me and my ex were driving from OKC to Guthrie. We were just headed out when we saw a hitcher on the ramp, he appeared to be a good friend of ours from the past. We slammed brakes and actually backed up. Much to our dismay this very smelly odd looking man was not who we thought he was, but we felt obligated then to let him in. So we took him as far as the rest stop. Two days later we were again in OKC (my ex worked there) and on way home we stopped at rest stop and sure enough, he was still there. So just judging by that, they are there at times, just don't know if they are there often. I still think its worth digging further at Job Corp, it would be the type place where someone would ask for a ride to town.
Also, No you cannot make it to OKC in twenty five minutes. Not a chance. IMHO

And if any locals know if it is usual to have hitchers at that rest stop?
Here in OR there is rarely a hitcher I have seen at the rest area (lots in the towns, though). But in central CA, many hitchers at the rest areas.

Have there been any other people missing from the OK area in the same time frame?

Or from other states? Were any abandoned cars found along the route from Job Corps to Del City? The hitchhiker could have done this before, i.e. hurt someone and left them, drove that person's car until it ran out of gas, abandoned it, and went on to find his next target (in this case being Daryn). Then he could repeat the scenario up in OR.

This case should be plastered on the news across these states, not only to gain information about Daryn's situation but to make possible intended victims aware.

The car being out of gas has really bothered me since reading about this yesterday. The fact that it was stated it was parked at a trailhead really leaves out it accidently running out of gas to me. So...I pondered on this as I rolled over and drifted into la la land last night. (I do some of my best mental thinking at that time)

I then wake up to see your post above mine My Tee.... I think this is foul play....(for sure now after reading your post). I had an "aha" moment while sleeping. How does a car end up parked at a trailhead totally out of gas? Well, In my opinion that is the "meet up place". If the abductor was headed to a location and could not make it or even if he could, he would choose a desolate location close to where he could get picked up to dump the car. If this person did not have the funds to refill the tank, he would get as close as he could and then park it waiting on his ride. It gets cold near/in the mountains at night. I think the car was there at night. I think the person sat and ran the car for heat or music while waiting on his pick up/ride. I don't think they planned on running the car totally out of gas, I think this just happened. I can see the person sitting there saying "carp" as the car sputted out of gas hoping their ride would get there soon.

I really have a very bad feeling at this point. IMHO

Also to answer your question about hitchers at the reststop between Guthrie and OKC. Even though they are patrolled, the answer is yes they do or did contain hitchers. One time me and my ex were driving from OKC to Guthrie. We were just headed out when we saw a hitcher on the ramp, he appeared to be a good friend of ours from the past. We slammed brakes and actually backed up. Much to our dismay this very smelly odd looking man was not who we thought he was, but we felt obligated then to let him in. So we took him as far as the rest stop. Two days later we were again in OKC (my ex worked there) and on way home we stopped at rest stop and sure enough, he was still there. So just judging by that, they are there at times, just don't know if they are there often. I still think its worth digging further at Job Corp, it would be the type place where someone would ask for a ride to town.
Also, No you cannot make it to OKC in twenty five minutes. Not a chance. IMHO

Good info re hitchhikers in that area!

Your thoughts about the car and a meet-up point would explain to me why the sleeping bag would be left in the car. At that point the hitchhiker would no longer need his sleeping bag as he'd made it to the destination. Now, I do not know for a fact that the bag is not Daryn's. I have left that question for the family this morning.

At this point so many details are going through my head that I cannot remember if it was ever mentioned if the sleeping bag was found rolled up or spread out. Spread out or bunched up would lend to your scenario that the person was running the car for heat and then ran out of gas. Bunched up or spread out would indicate the perpetrator used the sleeping bag for warmth. If it were still neatly rolled up, then I don't see this scenario fitting, kwim? But the "heat scenario" is a good possibility overall based on what we know at this time, I think.

****Several of you have commented that Daryn has just "grabbed" you. I know what you mean. Everything about him just seems mild, gentle, loving, and caring. He seems to be a trusting soul, and we hate it when good, decent, trusting folks get taken advantage of by the polar opposites among us. I am so touched by the hours being put into helping in this case, and I know the family is as well****

In looking at the map, it appears that Zigzag trailhead does not have a start point off Hwy 35, however oddly enough with further digging I found this... its off Hwy 35 and is a road 35, and its very close to Portland. However, if this is the case either this hitcher really spent time mapping this out or he is from this area.

3034238560_c2fed6f91f_o.jpg

you can look further and read about the road and scant parking here

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/ph/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1166

Great work Portabella! It does indicate that the person would be from the area and this was his destination. That narrows down the search quite a bit. If LE had to track a hitchhiker on the move through no telling how many states, oy! Plus he/she would still be on the road, subject to doing this again.

I so hope the sleeping bag is the hitchhiker's. It will be swarming with DNA I'm betting.

Same info as OregonLive's re-write of the HRC sheriff's office statement, but at least news is filtering out, in Oregon anyway.

Hood River County Sheriff’s Office Assisting Oklahoma Authorities With Missing Person’s Case‏ (Albany Tribune)

I really don't like the "gas tank completely empty" thing either; causes my best case scenario tributary to run a little dry.

Thanks so much for the link. I am sending all links to the family.

Yep..."best case scenario" evidence dwindling; "worst case scenario" evidence filling up.

Earlier on, I wondered about major crimes/prison escapes committed in the days just previous to Daryn's disappearance. I am back to wondering about that now...especially in light of the possibility that the car was left at/near a meet-up point. So perhaps we can sleuth for major crimes/prison escapes in the time frame leading up to May 26th?

If a person's final destination was OR and he/she was known to be in the Guthrie, OK area....what are the likely thoroughfares they took to reach OK? What states are along that route? Those are the states we need to focus on for stories of bank robberies, murders, escapes, IMO.

ETA: Meanwhile, folks are still tirelessly sleuthing the hobby associates aspect of the case, because we don't want to get into tunnel vision mode, of course.

And for those sleuthers working the hobby associates angle, remember that Daryn is known by the nickname "Darraby."

Okay, here's where my mind is going at this point:

Daryn did not indicate to family, fiance, or employer that he intended on taking off on a trip. In fact, his brother reports that Daryn had said he was in a hurry to get home to rest up for work. That was on a Sunday night.

Daryn is in the habit of picking up hitchhikers.

There was a sleeping bag found in Daryn's wiped-down car states away from Daryn's home after he's been missing for days with no contact with his family.

Daryn is not into hiking or rock climbing, yet his car is found in an area known for these pursuits, cleaned of all trash, backed in, front tag removed. No sign of Daryn.

My present mindset is that Daryn probably picked up a hitchhiker on May 26. There could have been someone around the Job Corps site that asked for a ride, or Daryn could have picked someone up along I-35 between Guthrie and Del City. Daryn might have stopped for gas, and someone asked him for a ride at the station.

I think that sleeping bag belongs to the hitchhiker and not Daryn at all. I think the hitchhiker immediately gained control of Daryn in some way. Whether he hurt Daryn immediately, left him somewhere and took off in Daryn's car or whether he forced Daryn to drive him toward Oregon and hurt him and left him along the way I do not know at this point. I hope to goodness there is video along the way to tell us that. The credit card trail will definitely help in determining this.

I do not believe for one minute that Daryn left of his own accord. He had a job, a fiance, and many interests. He has loving family members, and most of this family is very close-knit. He appeared to be in a "good place" in his life. He left no note. There is no indication that he took his cat with him, and people who love their pets do not abandon them.

I have left my mind open to the various scenarios that go along with a voluntary disappearance, and they just do not ring true, especially in light of the latest about the condition of the vehicle when found.

Of course this is JMO based on what we know at this point. But based on this, I feel that the primary investigation should focus around Guthrie, the route home, and then the possible routes to OR and in that order.

Exactly my thoughts too!

The route Guthrie-Del City should be searched thouroughly and CCTV should be looked at. I hope police is doing that.

His brother might be able to tell whether the sleeping was in the car already.

I hope forensics are being done on the car. I hope they get some prints at least.

If the car was completely out of gas it was probably pushed to back it into the place it was found. Not sure what that means, if anything.

UPDATE REGARDING CAR AND LOCATION

This is the report the family received from OR LE with regard to the car's location and more specifics:

The vehicle had been backed up to an embankment in a trail parking area about 15 to 20 feet from the road (Highway 35) near the head of the Zig-Zag Trail which leads to the Dawn River Trail to the Surveyor's Bridge Trail.

The car was literally out of gas, the front license plate removed and placed behind the front seat, the front interior of the car had been completely cleaned out (no candy/food wrappers, gas station receipts, etc.).

There was not a cell phone in the SUV.

There was a single car key in the car, not in the ignition (he couldn't recall for sure w/o checking w/his detectives, but he thought the lone key was found in the center console).

It is highly unusual for Daryn to keep his car so neat and tidy according to the family.

The detective said they will pursue a criminal investigation as well as continue the ongoing missing person search and investigation.

However, he felt fairly confident Daryn was not currently on the mountain where the SUV was parked.

This information puts me firmly in the "something unexpected happened on his drive home" category.

The car was purposefully backed in (blocking quick view of license plate)and the front plate was removed and put in the car.

The car was very clean. Ridding it of any evidence or fingerprints.

It was out of gas. Maybe drove as far as he/she could and then ditched car. Or had car and after parked used remaining fuel for running for heat in the night?

The lone key. That says to me that it was removed from Daryn's keychain and any other keys he may have had.

Unfortunately, this is making me feel that Daryn was no longer with the car when it was parked there. How would the 'other person' keep Daryn under control while he cleaned the car, removed the plate, etc.? This makes it so much more difficult because if Daryn was not with the car at this point, he could be anywhere between OK and the final spot for the car!

I too am praying the sleeping bag belongs to someone other than Daryn. Hopefully it will have DNA on it that is in the DNA database.

Always praying for a good outcome and would love it if I am wrong!

UPDATE REGARDING CAR AND LOCATION

This is the report the family received from OR LE with regard to the car's location and more specifics:

The vehicle had been backed up to an embankment in a trail parking area about 15 to 20 feet from the road (Highway 35) near the head of the Zig-Zag Trail which leads to the Dawn River Trail to the Surveyor's Bridge Trail.

The car was literally out of gas, the front license plate removed and placed behind the front seat, the front interior of the car had been completely cleaned out (no candy/food wrappers, gas station receipts, etc.).

There was not a cell phone in the SUV.

If the car was totally empty of gas, and couldn't go any further, was it pushed into the spot it was found? That is odd. I mean how did the driver know it was out of gas totally and stop where they did, yet back it up to hide the plates, or hide it from view etc? The front plate was removed, but the back plate could have been removed the same way if it was just parked forward. I hope they check the nearest trash bins or dumpsters for any items tossed. I doubt a hitcher would want to keep carrying trash around, yet leave the sleeping bag.

This information puts me firmly in the "something unexpected happened on his drive home" category.

The car was purposefully backed in (blocking quick view of license plate)and the front plate was removed and put in the car.

It was out of gas. Maybe drove as far as he/she could and then ditched car. Or had car and after parked used remaining fuel for running for heat in the night?

The lone key. That says to me that it was removed from Daryn's keychain and any other keys he may have had.

Unfortunately, this is making me feel that Daryn was no longer with the car when it was parked there. How would the 'other person' keep Daryn under control while he cleaned the car, removed the plate, etc.? This makes it so much more difficult because if Daryn was not with the car at this point, he could be anywhere between OK and the final spot for the car!

I too am praying the sleeping bag belongs to someone other than Daryn. Hopefully it will have DNA on it that is in the DNA database.

I am wondering if Daryn even left Oklahoma........

Exactly my thoughts too!

The route Guthrie-Del City should be searched thouroughly and CCTV should be looked at. I hope police is doing that.

His brother might be able to tell whether the sleeping was in the car already.

I hope forensics are being done on the car. I hope they get some prints at least.

If the car was completely out of gas it was probably pushed in the end to back into the place it was found. Not sure what that means, if anything.

********************************************************************************

*****A WARNING AND REMINDER*****: Folks, remember that when you "out" yourselves on these FB pages and mention your WS connections, you also "out" yourself on here. It is extremely easy to connect your FB account with your WS account, and vice versa.

That means that if you are working on any other cases here (or even if another member chooses to do so), it is very easy for ANYONE READING HERE to track you to FB and find out your true identity, and this could be dangerous!

That is why I have specifically and deliberately but (hopefully) politely declined from joining any of the FB pages associated with this case and work directly with and through the family...to protect my identity, myself, and my family members.

So please please please: Be very very careful if you choose to work from FB pages. Open up a "blind" FB account that has no connection to your actual life or your connection here. No one wants the good intentions of people working this case to be the cause of woe for them down the road. We need our members here, and want them to be safe and secure to post another day! :)

AND REMEMBER: People on the "find" pages can read our posts without even being members, so there is no real need for anyone to "out" themselves on FB to convey information to them on the FB pages.

Did I miss the time that Daryn left the airport in Oklahoma? Or was it stated? If it was stated, what time did Daryn leave the airport?

Re the bolded - hopefully they pushed the car into the spot as it was out of gas and forgot to wipe the hood!

According to SHC on the Facebook page Elainera links above, the Guthrie police are investigating a report that Daryn had been withdrawing large sums of cash from the bank over the last few months.

Re the bolded - hopefully they pushed the car into the spot as it was out of gas and forgot to wipe the hood!

I am wondering if he was even in the car when this all occurred?? There might not be blood because if he was overtaken, maybe it did not exactly happen when he was inside the vehicle, in my opinion....
If it was a hitch hiker, maybe Daryn and the hitch hiker got out of the car somewhere after Daryn picked up the hitch hiker? In My Opinion.
Just throwing that out there. Lots of scenarios.......

According to SHC on the Facebook page Elainera links above, the Guthrie police are investigating a report that Daryn had been withdrawing large sums of cash from the bank over the last few months.

Let's just remember that this says "report" and not "fact." :)

ETA: SHC = a trusted family member. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member