OK - Duncan Mom, daughter charged with incest after getting married in Oklahoma

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2 years later, this is the first I've heard of this case. Everyone before me already reacted the way I did... a big fat WTF! I don't get shocked anymore, I thought.... I'm totally floored. Also.. GROSS! Why? Eeeew *bleah*

https://www.facebook.com/KAKETV/posts/10156263838963979

Gig, I just snorted while I laughed. Was a first for me as well and I have the same thought - WTF?! I can’t even with people these days. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genetically, a single occurrence of incest will not significantly raise the rate of abnormalities. It only becomes a real problem when incest becomes "the norm" in a family line.

As many stories as I've heard online of people catching friends and loved ones accidentally walking in on siblings and cousins having sex, I'm afraid this isn't as atypical as I would like.

I don't believe that to be accurate. Risk increases right away, even when first cousins have offspring. Likely more with siblings.

"A 2008 study on 48 cases of incest found that the risk for birth defects is around two percent in the general population but rises to only four percent between first cousins."
http://www.medicaldaily.com/kissing...w-about-incest-and-why-inbreeding-isnt-321650

Here is more about the study. When first cousins have offspring, risk of birth defect doubles. So immediately we have a significant increase in risk of birth defects, even when parents are cousins and not siblings. It was not deemed high enough to discourage first cousins from having children together, but obviously there is a significant increase right away with relatives producing children together.

"Although the increase represents a near doubling of the risk, the result is still not considered large enough to discourage cousins from having children..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/04/us/few-risks-seen-to-the-children-of-1st-cousins.html

Another study.

"Prenatal, neonatal and infant mortality was higher among children from incestuous unions, and mental retardation as well as congenital malformations, single and multiple, were far more frequent among these children than among their half-sibs who were offspring of unrelated parents."

© 1971 S. Karger AG, Basel
https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/152391

So many children are born out of wedlock I don't why some think having children and being married should be mentioned in the same sentence. jmo

Many children are, however most couples that stay together after the first child long enough to have another get married. I've seen stats that are something like about 50?60?% of first babies are born to unmarried couples; if that couple stays together long enough to have a second something like 80-90% of those couples have married by then. People are more casual about when they marry but most couples who live together and have children are doing so with a hopeful view to marriage.

In this enlightened age two consenting adults should be allowed to marry regardless of their race, sex or family relationship. I remember when the first two were taboo. jmo

Nah. I have no problem whatsoever with interracial marriage or marriage between people of the same sex. Those do not preclude the true essentials of marriage: being adults, and giving consent.

Incest clouds the consent issue immediately. I don't think genuine consent can ever be given in cases of adult/adult* incest. There is always going to be a power imbalance of some kind, and also potentially indicates a child who was abused their entire childhood. (obviously adult/child incest is always illegal, always abuse, and punishable as a crime)

Not to mention the genetic issues of any children that result. No, not an issue in this case. But there shouldn't be different rules.

As for cousin marriage, which is legal in many places? Well, that's irrelevant to this story, but even the children of cousins carry a significantly increased risk of genetic issues. It's legal in Australia, albeit taboo in mainstream culture but happens a lot amongst some ethnic minorities.

In British Pakistani communities a third of all genetic abnormalities can be attributed to cosanguinity

Did you know you can legally marry your first cousin?

Kissing cousins

rlatest research says it is okay to marry your cousin and the kids should be fine
https://www.popsci.com/marrying-cousins-genetics
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/03/07/marrying-first-cousin-dna/
Better than older studies, because more science is behind it. Family trees need diversity.

Your links say the exact same thing I already posted. Risk increases, but its not deemed high enough that first cousins should be advised to not have children. Although marriage between first cousins is illegal in many states of the US.
By the way marrying your cousin is the opposite of introducing diversity into your family tree. And if closer relatives such as siblings have children, then the risk for birth defects is higher. So there are very good reasons why there are taboos against incest.

And here is what happens when relatives such as cousins continue to breed for many generations. Lots of unusual diseases not easily found in regular population.
"Over generations of intermarriage, rare genetic flaws have shown up, flaws which most of us carry within our genetic makeup but which don't show up unless we marry someone else with the same rare genetic markers."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/genetic-disorders-hit-amish-hard/

what a hot mess! remember that mother who married her son that was adopted out years before, he found her at 18 and they hooked up???? GAG! what a mess

Yes and I just saw one...maybe last month...I think in Florida, where the daughter found her biological father and they are married. And his entire family supported it and attended the ceremony [emoji15]
I saw this case in the news the other day and I was really just stunned. I thought I read something that they are accusing the mom of manipulating the daughter-not sure if there is financial gain at stake here? I can’t even...

Incest tends to produce genetic abnormalities in children conceived. I think it's unfair to do this, and have a child that suffers and lives less than a year.

See: FLDS baby cemeteries

ETA, I agree that race and sex don't matter. Familial relationships DO.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I agree. Even if they do survive...when I was young, I remember children of brother/sister-they had awful awful problems, mentally (retardation) emotionally and socially. It was sad to see and it wasn’t their fault.

Genetically, a single occurrence of incest will not significantly raise the rate of abnormalities. It only becomes a real problem when incest becomes "the norm" in a family line.

As many stories as I've heard online of people catching friends and loved ones accidentally walking in on siblings and cousins having sex, I'm afraid this isn't as atypical as I would like.

Risk increases right away. Even when cousins have children, although the increase is not considered to be high enough to advise cousins to not have children. And in most countries cousin marriage is legal, and is not actually considered to be incest. However, risk becomes much higher when first degree relatives (siblings or parents and their children) have children.
"Forty percent of the children were born with either autosomal recessive disorders, congenital physical malformations, or severe intellectual deficits. And another 14 percent of them had mild mental disabilities. In short, the odds that a newborn child who is the product of brother-sister or father-daughter incest will suffer an early death, a severe birth defect or some mental deficiently approaches 50 percent."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201210/the-problem-incest

In this enlightened age two consenting adults should be allowed to marry regardless of their race, sex or family relationship. I remember when the first two were taboo. jmo

It is weird to me but, when it's consenting adults, it truly is no one elses business as two states have recognized.

It is weird to me but, when it's consenting adults, it truly is no one elses business as two states have recognized.

Really? So if you have a parent and child, right after child turns 18, it would be just fine for them to have sex? Parental control over the child doesn't stop just because child turned 18.
And just because two adults consent to something, doesn't mean it should be legal.

Forget the science. Hooking up with your mom or dad is just gross. Eew

Forget the science. Hooking up with your mom or dad is just gross. Eew

Or your brother or cousin or anyone in your family. I guess we just don’t do that in my family. Gross. Lol

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper