GUILTY OK - John, 50, Joy, 48, & Katherine Hruby, 17, murdered, Duncan, 9 Oct 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just a caveat in case it wasn't obvious or already known - We Need to Talk About Kevin is FICTIONAL.

Let's see....gag order in effect to staunch prosecutorial info-flow; family being consulted before decision on pursuing capital charges; yes, upper-middle class alleged murderers, even in cases as heinous as this one, do get the breaks, do they not.

Perhaps Hruby and Andrews have more in common than the similarity of their crimes.

After reading the above article, I remembered Lowell Lee Andrews shared death row ("the Corner") with Richard Hickock and Perry Smith. Hickcok and Smith were convicted and executed for murdering the Clutter family in Holcomb, KS in 1959, the basis of Truman Capote's novel In Cold Blood. Capote goes into detail about Andrews' criminal case. From In Cold Blood (pg. 315-316):

The Andrews case became the basis for a legal and medical crusade. Prior to the trial, at which Andrews pleaded innocent by reason of insanity, the psychiatric staff of the Menninger Clinic conducted an exhaustive examination of the accused; this produced a diagnosis of "schizophrenia, simple type." By "simple," the diagnosticians meant that Andrews suffered no delusions, no false perceptions, no hallucinations, but the primary illness of separation of thinking from feeling. He understood the nature of his acts, and that they were prohibited, and that he was subject to punishment. "But," to quote Dr. Joseph Satten, one of the examiners, "Lowell Lee Andrews felt no emotions whatsoever. He considered himself the only important, only significant person in the world. And in his own seclusive world it seemed to him just as right to kill his mother as to kill an animal or a fly."

(Mods: Please remove post if quoted material is an infringement.)

A bit more....a bit of trivia (from Wiki) on this Ur-Hrubyesque Andrews kid ^^^^ :

Andrews and his sister, Jennie Marie, were both home for the Thanksgiving holiday in 1958. Jennie Marie was watching television with her parents while Andrews was upstairs reading The Brothers Karamazov. When he finished reading the novel, Andrews shaved, put on a suit, and went downstairs carrying a .22 caliber rifle and a revolver. [....] After opening a window in an attempt to make the crime look like a burglary, Andrews left the house and drove to the nearby town of Lawrence. He drove to his apartment to establish an alibi, claiming that he had needed to pick up his typewriter to write an essay and then went to the Granada movie theater, where he watched Mardi Gras (1958), starring Pat Boone.

Yeah, I think he's probably gay too. Just don't understand how his parents indulged him so much unless he just started out stealing. He tweets to parents a #hint for a Rolex and trip to Paris. Again, this could be him portraying a wealthy lifestyle for his friends. Definitely deluded himself into thinking he could be a model and a plastic surgeon. @Glamourcat seems you're probably on the right track.

I'm thinking he watched too many episodes of Rich Kids of Beverly Hills? He has that tv show plus the reality stars referenced in numerous posts on Instagram and Twitter.

What a great article from The Moore American! Thanks so much for sharing this. Kid was a mess early on. Have a second cousin like this--not murderer thank goodness--but one who started stealing checks, money, etc. at an early age. Needless to say, she's been in and out of jail.

Think he was just a bit warped from the get go, that and if he is gay, dealing with it in a small town, he just lived in a freaking dream world that got horribly real when he murdered his family.

I wonder how smart he is or if he really planned it that well to confess so quickly. He did lie about the gun, etc., Finding them all in a storage unit plus the other stuff...guess he thought he might be able to go back and get ipads, jewelry. If he's evil, they have to add stupid/impulsive too.

He was such an idiot not to lawyer up. That's what the wealthy do. Should have read up on that before slaughtering his family.

The ever present question I have with these cases is, did the parents have any idea of the danger they were in? Were there problems with him for years?

IMO this type of murder is the most disturbing when someone kills their family who loved them. The abused children I can understand murder but this type monster murder hell is not deep enough for him. Jmt

ciao

I don't think they realize the danger they're in, but when they did the tough love thing on him--seems he pulled the tough hate act.

I think young men in early teens/twenties with all the testosterone surging in them are at a most dangerous age. If unstable enough they will do impulsive, stupid, and even violent things. I'm not giving this kid an out, just wishing parents with troubled kids would take it into consideration. Unfortunately, even those that do try to help find no good psychiatric resources. Especially in Oklahoma, although having money/insurance might have helped.

I edited my post, clearly when there is a conviction a person forfeits their claim. I'm guessing in the interim someone is appointed to oversee the estate. I'm just curious if he has any rights. I sure hope not. In my world he can go right past a trial and directly to prison!!!

Kinda doubt he would have access. If most states did allow an accused that kind of money we'd have a lot more crazy trials, less plea deals, and really happy defense attorneys.

Hey there, Waiting, Thx for the link.
And see what it leads to--

Alan's bucket list w 50+ items, and w lots of foreign travel, virtually all items are on the pricey side; most can simply be bought.
Ex: Go into space on Virgin Galactic; Own a plane; Visit every continent.
Very few items are geared toward accomplishments-- like learning a foreign language.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140823142834/http://alanhruby.com/bucket-list/

Looks like most anybody w $xx,*advertiser censored*,*advertiser censored* could buy their way thru the list. Kinda sad in a way.
And he crossed 3 items off list (see Rome, Paris, Pompeii) by his criminal activity, his bogus Amex card or bogus use of G'ma's legit card. Very sad.
And his way of thinking, eventually, leading to these deaths. The ultimate tragedy.

Jm2cts.

Too bad he couldn't have been the poor test pilot that lost his life on the Virgin Galactic test flight.

In his booking photo it looks like he's wearing eye liner or something...or is it just me?

From the article:
....the officer failed to notice the 6-inch, 145-pound difference between Hruby and the person he claimed to be, said Assistant City Attorney Lawrence M. Wheeler. AND.. Why did the police officer not realize that the diminutive Hruby, listed in court documents as being 5-feet, 6-inches tall and weighing 115 pounds, could not be Moore, whom the traffic ticket lists as being 6-feet tall and 260 pounds?

Ok I think that is a big problem. I thought maybe they were similar in height and weight but really??? Since he was speeding, did not have a license and gave out false info, a search of the Jeep LE would have found the gun on a person who is on probation. He would have been taken to jail and his family could have been saved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back