GUILTY OK - John, 50, Joy, 48, & Katherine Hruby, 17, murdered, Duncan, 9 Oct 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for all the updates. Just curious, did everyone have him as your suspect? Or were you looking elsewhere?
After homicide, lesser charges used to justify arrests are never unrelated, however tangential they may appear, to the homicide.

Once Hruby was in custody he was certain to be charged with the murders.

From Blondie's link:
Court records also show Duncan police had been investigating Hruby since August because of evidence he had forged checks totaling $17,500.
It is also being reported he assaulted his mother two years ago after a disagreement over money.

($17,500 is a lot of money, this is a new charge not the grandmother credit card one. Already assaulted Mom over money 2 years ago ! )

Also:the 9mm pistol (Alan) found in his father's truck. If the gun was taken from the truck the Dad may have thought "anyone" could have taken it... If he thought he son took it, he probably thought he took it to sell for money.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cting-normal-lay-dead-home.html#ixzz3GQEg1KS3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

After homicide, lesser charges used to justify arrests are never unrelated, however tangential they may appear, to the homicide.

Once Hruby was in custody he was certain to be charged with the murders.

I don't even think I knew he was in custody to begin with. My suspicious mind just assumes the survivor is always involved!!

His pic is so scary. The eyes truly are a window to the soul. In his case, there is just nothing there.

Did hruby have a girlfriend or was he just spending money on himself. Who was he trying to impress? Jmt

ciao
While there are photos of him with girls, I haven't found a gf. He was buying it all for himself as near as I can tell. He liked the glam lifestyle and would do anything to achieve his dream of being rich and famous.

I don't even think I knew he was in custody to begin with. My suspicious mind just assumes the survivor is always involved!!

His pic is so scary. The eyes truly are a window to the soul. In his case, there is just nothing there.
Me too on "survivor involved" -- first thing to listen for; family killed but one survivor nearby, within easy driving distance? You'll rarely lose if you bet that surviving other is involved. It sounds cynical to think that way, I guess, but -- there ya go.

Murder is such a family crime.

What a case!

Seriously, this guy clearly has no empathy. I understand that he had a shopping addiction, however, how many times has a shopping addiction been a precursor to murder? There must be some psychopathy or narcissism involved. (observations from an admittedly unqualified lay person)

Does anyone know how the family became wealthy? Publishing a couple of small town newspapers certainly won't do that. Did they inherit their wealth? If so, did this factor feed into the feeling of entitlement that AH felt? "Hey, why do I have to do anything to have wealth? You didn't." Clearly I'm just wildly speculating here, and certainly not justifying!! I'm just trying to figure out how this kid had absolutely no compunction to steal from his family and then, ultimately, take their lives. It's truly shocking.

:maddening:

That's just it. The family wasn't wealthy. They were ordinary people who worked hard and were responsible people who saved money and didn't spend what they didn't have. Narcissist/psychopaths live having an inflated sense of self. They buy things to make themselves seem more important than they are. When his money source ran out, he couldn't keep up his image of being a rich kid to his friends. He had no conscience about stealing from his grandmother and thought he was smart enough to get away with killing his family to inherit their money...even though they weren't wealthy, they had a house and some savings built up and probably life insurance.

It's hard for people like us to wrap our head around this, because we don't think like this. I dated a guy who was a narcissist and he ended up lying and cheating so many "friends" out of their money and had absolutely no remorse! It's like he thought they owed it to him. Now he wasn't a killer, but I don't think it's that far fetched to think he could do physical harm to someone. He always drove a nice car, wore designer clothes, lived in a nice house, but owed everyone in town until he used all his resources up and then he moved.

The way he calculated it all out is so sick. I mean waited 2 hours with his dead mother and sister

Are you sure they weren't wealthy? His parents apparently had set up a trust fund for him. I mean at least upper middle class wealthy.

Are you sure they weren't wealthy? His parents apparently had set up a trust fund for him. I mean at least upper middle class wealthy.

I am not sure they weren't wealthy, but it was my understanding from a friend of theirs was that the statement he made to his friend about being upset with his parents because they wouldn't let him transfer money from his trust fund, was just him trying to make the friends believe he had a trust fund. I think the argument was that they found out how much money he had been spending due to loans he'd obtained, credit cards, etc. the sister told a friend that Alan was having money trouble again. I'll try to find the link and post it.

Ok so I did a little sleuthing because this case has bothered me so bad, and it looks like the Hruby's house house was listed as being in a Trust. The house value on Zillow was approximately $270,000. The square footage is over 4000 sq. ft. but the house is older and in Duncan, Ok, so that might explain why the value was lower.
We live in a 4000 sq. ft home in Oklahoma, but we live in a highly populated college town where home values are higher. Our home is probably closer to $500,000. We are by no means considered wealthy and certainly don't take lavish trips to Paris with LV bags. I think this kid got caught up in things and when he went to college (especially at OU) there are kids that have it all. Maybe he tried to fool his friends into believing he was a rich kid in order for them to accept him. It caught up with him and this was the only way out that he could see.

My personal theory is that perhaps he was gay and was never accepted or revered by his peers as a small town Oklahoma athlete like the ones his father so loved to cover in his newspaper articles. He felt inferior to other kids because of this, so he used the shopping, showing off his material things as a way to get attention from friends...Just a theory of course.

Duncan family's killings motivated by son's greed, police say (Sunday Oklahoman)

NORMAN — At 12:34 a.m. Oct. 9, a post went up on 19-year-old freshman Alan J. Hruby’s Twitter account appearing to indicate he was in his dorm at the University of Oklahoma.

“Home. @headington hall,” read the post, accompanied by a picture of the state-of-the-art residence hall that opened in 2013.

Seven minutes later, another post went up, this one including a photograph of the university’s nearby football stadium, apparently taken from Hruby’s sixth-floor dorm room. “You could say we have a good view,” the post reads.

Yet just 20 minutes later, police pulled Hruby over in Duncan, about 70 miles away.
---
the rest at link above

One more from this one -- its last two grafs:

---
About 5 p.m., Tinker Hruby stood in her kitchen texting with a friend when the conversation suddenly stopped, Ford said.

According to police reports and court records, by then Alan Hruby had parked his Jeep in a neighborhood a few blocks from his parents’ home. He’d entered the house through a back door carrying the weapon he’d stolen earlier. He approached his mother and fired once. She fell, still alive. He fired another round. The state medical examiner reported that Tinker Hruby died of two gunshot wounds to the head.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back