OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very true. I am calling the Detective tomorrow to find out if she has gotten any other news. Thank you

Just hope to cheer you forward! I want to see you reunited with your Dad, in some way.

Keep at it, you are working this thoroughly and fortunately our WS 'village' has lots of different people with lots of different contacts.

Best, Laughing

I phoned the detective today and asked if she had any updates. She is still waiting to get his military records. Since his fingerprints were on file for something he did as a juvenile they ran them. He didn't show up as having any criminal misdoings. And didn't show up as deceased. I'm hopeful I'll get something by the end of the year. Thank you everyone for your support, suggestions and kind words. I truly appreciate them.

I phoned the detective today and asked if she had any updates. She is still waiting to get his military records. Since his fingerprints were on file for something he did as a juvenile they ran them. He didn't show up as having any criminal misdoings. And didn't show up as deceased. I'm hopeful I'll get something by the end of the year. Thank you everyone for your support, suggestions and kind words. I truly appreciate them.

You are so tenacious and brave!

Happy to be of any support in your search.

TGIF, Laughing

I’m just checking in to see if there are any new developments.
I have recently learned that while he was in junior high he took Tae Kwon Do classes with a friend of his. I found an address that I believed was his friend and sent a letter. Just waiting to see if he responds. Tried calling the detective but have to try again this week. I'm still looking everywhere I can think of.

This is a very interesting case. What’s the deal with his family not being very helpful to you? Were you not apart of their lives growing up? Very odd situation….I hope you get answers soon :(. And why did no one file a missing persons report a long time ago??

The daughter should do an Ancestry DNA profile. It could link to her father or half siblings or their children, if there are any. IMO.
Ancestry DNA has a subunit, fold or folds. They contain military records. I might be subscribed to it; have to check. From the days of searching a family tree line that emigrated to the US, I am also subscribed to Ancestry newspapers, if anyone needs to look something up.

I entered it into NAMUS just waiting for it to be accepted. I have my DNA uploaded to Gedmatch, with the opt in
From personal experience. Some people would upload to Geni, not Gedmatch. Also, for some reason unknown to me, many upload to MyHeritage. It has own DNA testing (meh), but accepts DNA from other sites. It usually has family trees, and I got more matches from trees on My Heritage than anywhere else.

@Snoangel26 I’m terribly sorry that you’re having to live with such uncertainty. Something seems strange to me that your immediate family seems to be against you searching for your father. Have you asked your aunt (on your father’s side, right?) if his family ever looked for him and why not, if they didn’t? And, if it were me, I’d ask her why your relatives don’t seem supportive of your search. She might have something interesting to say about their feelings on his being MIA for so long. There might be a nugget of useful information to glean. Also, does your aunt have any children or, better yet, grandchildren? Or perhaps she has an old friend (or former friend) who might be more sympathetic to your plight? I find that when there’s been some sort of bad blood between people, the older generation that was directly involved will very rarely give up a grudge, but younger generations are able to see things more clearly and empathetically. If there are younger family members to ask if they had ever heard the name Steve mentioned or snippets of conversations that they felt adults had not wanted them to hear, as children, it could be a good place to pick up clues. Also,family friends or acquaintances usually pick up a lot of gossip when things happen, too, but their attitudes usually soften over time. Also, not to cast aspersions, but to eliminate a question that must be asked, has anyone looked into your great-uncle’s account of your father telling him that he would be fine and then seeming to vanish? As the last person to definitively have seen him alive, unfortunately, he and his account of his last conversation with Steve need to be scrutinized, as best they can be at this late date. The uncle needs to be eliminated as a suspect in any possible wrong-doing leading to the disappearance. If he can’t be, I’d be asking lots of questions and looking closer at people who knew Steven back in 1976, at least until the military records come through. Finally, I’m wondering how the last known date of anyone’s interaction with your father was set as 1976? How are the people who related this date to you certain of the year? Thanks for any information you can provide. It’s my sincere hope that you get some answers soon.

To all the seasoned members of this forum, I apologize if I’ve blundered in the questions I’ve asked or the length of my post. I found this website today, read this thread and became completely engrossed. These are the burning questions that came to my newbie’s mind. Thanks for your patience!

@Snoangel26 I’m terribly sorry that you’re having to live with such uncertainty. Something seems strange to me that your immediate family seems to be against you searching for your father. Have you asked your aunt (on your father’s side, right?) if his family ever looked for him and why not, if they didn’t? And, if it were me, I’d ask her why your relatives don’t seem supportive of your search. She might have something interesting to say about their feelings on his being MIA for so long. There might be a nugget of useful information to glean. Also, does your aunt have any children or, better yet, grandchildren? Or perhaps she has an old friend (or former friend) who might be more sympathetic to your plight? I find that when there’s been some sort of bad blood between people, the older generation that was directly involved will very rarely give up a grudge, but younger generations are able to see things more clearly and empathetically. If there are younger family members to ask if they had ever heard the name Steve mentioned or snippets of conversations that they felt adults had not wanted them to hear, as children, it could be a good place to pick up clues. Also,family friends or acquaintances usually pick up a lot of gossip when things happen, too, but their attitudes usually soften over time. Also, not to cast aspersions, but to eliminate a question that must be asked, has anyone looked into your great-uncle’s account of your father telling him that he would be fine and then seeming to vanish? As the last person to definitively have seen him alive, unfortunately, he and his account of his last conversation with Steve need to be scrutinized, as best they can be at this late date. The uncle needs to be eliminated as a suspect in any possible wrong-doing leading to the disappearance. If he can’t be, I’d be asking lots of questions and looking closer at people who knew Steven back in 1976, at least until the military records come through. Finally, I’m wondering how the last known date of anyone’s interaction with your father was set as 1976? How are the people who related this date to you certain of the year? Thanks for any information you can provide. It’s my sincere hope that you get some answers soon.

To all the seasoned members of this forum, I apologize if I’ve blundered in the questions I’ve asked or the length of my post. I found this website today, read this thread and became completely engrossed. These are the burning questions that came to my newbie’s mind. Thanks for your patience!
I spoke with my aunt and one uncle. My aunt has only told me that their mother said he was AWOL. My one uncle didn't really have much input, as shortly after that he went into the service. He told me that Stephen was stationed in San Onofre California. And that my mother said Stephen had discharged out. My other uncle hasn't talked with me yet. According to his wife he knew he had a brother named Stephen but never met him. My great uncle was contacted by the detective that I filed the missing person report with. I have asked my aunt for more pictures of Stephen but she keeps telling me she hasn't gotten around to getting copies. As for 1976 I'm really going off the divorce record of my parents, my mother put that they split in May 1976. She hasn't answered any of my questions about Stephen.

From personal experience. Some people would upload to Geni, not Gedmatch. Also, for some reason unknown to me, many upload to MyHeritage. It has own DNA testing (meh), but accepts DNA from other sites. It usually has family trees, and I got more matches from trees on My Heritage than anywhere else.
I have 3 DNA tests, uploaded to gedmatch, I can't remember if I uploaded to Geni. Have all on my heritage as well.

I really hope you find him! I can't get this thought about this whole case out of my head. It's probably unfounded and just blatantly false so I don't think I want to say it out of respect.

I really hope you find him! I can't get this thought about this whole case out of my head. It's probably unfounded and just blatantly false so I don't think I want to say it out of respect.
I really believe something strange and odd about it all is going on. I will never understand how a mother could just disregard their own child. Or why she never responded to me. Why his siblings never looked or filed a report.

I really believe something strange and odd about it all is going on. I will never understand how a mother could just disregard their own child. Or why she never responded to me. Why his siblings never looked or filed a report.
I'm just going to quickly read everything that's on this thread so I get the whole picture because I feel like there's so much more to this than what's on his NamUs. Unfortunately though I have seen people be reported missing a long time after they actually did go missing. A girl named Andria Bailey that I've been looking into for a while was reported missing 10 years after it happened and another girl named Gwendolyn Robinson was reported missing in August 2022 by her daughter when she went missing in the 70s or 80s when her daughter was still either very young or an infant. Gwendolyn was identified as a Jane Doe known as "Darlene" in case you are wondering. It's just sad that so many people are missing but were never reported because their families or friends didn't care or didn't even know about them going missing.

Just finished reading. My thought was disproved 2 seconds after I started. Are UID's still on the table? If so then who has he been compared to in this thread? I did see a few but I just want to compile them all to give a better search. This is all if UID's are still on the table. Also, what is the last date he was proven to be alive in? I know it has to be later that '76 as I saw dates in the 80s quite often in this thread.

Yes, it seems like he either broke with his family or they (or some of them) are trying to protect him from something or someone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back