OK - Terence Crutcher, 40, fatally shot by Tulsa PD officer, 16 Sept 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WOW. I seriously did not expect that, nor so soon.

Before proceeding against an officer they had to have seen evidence of serious misconduct. It's a tragedy, I've seen nothing much about her family, if she has any kids, etc. This is no cause for celebration but it does reaffirm faith in the system.

Her husband is an officer. In fact, he was in the helicopter but was not the man who made the bad dude comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...b5f840-8114-11e6-a52d-9a865a0ed0d4_story.html
White Tulsa officer charged with manslaughter in death of unarmed black man
September 22 at 8:55 PM
A white police officer in Tulsa, Okla., who was shown on video fatally shooting an unarmed black man has been charged with manslaughter, authorities said on Thursday.
Tulsa District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler filed a first-degree manslaughter charge against Officer Betty Shelby, nearly a week after multiple cameras filmed her shooting 40-year-old Terence Crutcher as he stood beside his stalled sport utility vehicle.
[…]

I am one that is pro police, and yet I also know there are bad people in all professions. Also people that while wanting to do there best should not be in their chosen field.
It was a thirty second video where I had question on where his hands were, and what was being said. I do think this video was viewed and scrutinized by law enforcement experts and they have the answers. They also reviewed the statements of all of the witnesses (officers) to come to thier conclusion. I trust the investigation, and believe they have the evidence to bring this to trial.
I have not read anywhere on MSM that this was a prejudice cop or anything that leads me to believe he was shot because he was black.

I am one that is pro police, and yet I also know there are bad people in all professions. Also people that while wanting to do there best should not be in their chosen field.
It was a thirty second video where I had question on where his hands were, and what was being said. I do think this video was viewed and scrutinized by law enforcement experts and they have the answers. They also reviewed the statements of all of the witnesses (officers) to come to thier conclusion. I trust the investigation, and believe they have the evidence to bring this to trial.
I have not read anywhere on MSM that this was a prejudice cop or anything that leads me to believe he was shot because he was black.

This might interest you:

The Neuroscience Behind Why White Cops Kill Black Men

Studies may shed some light on why white police officers who aren’t consciously racist are quick to pull the trigger on black men.

Does this mean that the officer was a racist, and that he fired his gun purely out of hate? Without actually being inside the cop’s mind, there is no way to know for sure, but we can know for certain that many similar situations have transpired where white officers acted on gut instinct, and not out of animosity towards African Americans.

What needs to be understood by the prosecutors of such cases, and by the public at large, is the distinction between explicit and implicit racism. Where explicit racism is intentional and conscious, implicit racism involves a subconscious bias that causes one to treat members of other races unequally. Implicit racism likely plays a significant role in many of the cases involving white cops shooting black males, and it is also likely that these cops genuinely believe they hold no prejudice at all.

In other words, white police officers may perceive black males to be a threat for behaving in ways that wouldn’t seem suspicious for white males.

In fact, an overwhelming number of studies from the fields of neuroscience and psychology provide evidence to support this notion.

I think all in all, our public officials and community leaders have handled this tragedy very well (as well as they could). Police officers have been very visible just out communicating and talking with people, even with the protesters. And yes, we've had several protests and vigils, none of which have been violent. ZERO violence. Peaceful protests have occurred every day in different areas of Tulsa and churches are full of people praying and holding vigils, open to all races. Most are black churches.

The Crutcher family has conducted themselves with dignity and grace. I don't know that I could do the same under the circumstances.

I believe the DA absolutely made the right decision. I'm not celebrating, but I did have faith that the right thing would be done. Tulsa charged reserve Deputy Robert Bates and he is now sitting in prison for 2nd degree manslaughter for killing a black man. Robert Bates is elderly, too. And let's not forget Oklahoma City's bad cop Daniel Holtzclaw, found guilty of raping black women and hiding behind his badge. He's sitting in prison for the rest of his life.

I was surprised that he made this announcement today. The full investigation wasn't even supposed to be turned in to him until tomorrow from what I understand. I guess her statements alone were pretty damning. In the probable cause affidavit, she stated "she was in fear for her life and thought he was going to kill her." Her backup even verbally stated he was going to tase Mr. Crutcher, as they are trained to do, and she just blew him away right afterward. She became "emotionally involved to the point she overreacted", the affidavit states, and she "escalated the situation". All of those statements are true.

So everyone who wanted to wait until the full investigation was over and a report was released.....yeah, no. The DA could plainly see from the information he had that she needed to be charged with 1st Degree Manslaughter in the killing of Terence Crutcher. And I find it really ironic that some people tried to justify this killing with the flimsiest of points. Some defended this officer wayyy more than the Chief of police did. Now that I think about it, I don't know that the Chief defended her much at all. Even he knew she was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Killing people like this is not OK, it never was OK, even though it's always happened. I am pro-police, I've stated before my Dad was a cop. It takes a very special person to be a good cop. Some people are for sure just bad cops, but some are good people who are just not cut out for it. They are both dangerous when given power and a gun.

This is my opinion as well. What was he thinking doing that??? Why not just comply???
You have no idea what you would do if you were ambushed by police with guns drawn. It's easy for us to say things like this, because it wasn't us.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

His right hand was down around his pocket, that's clear. Whether he was trying to open the car door, or what he was doing is not clear. Moments before he was shot, his hand came down from the position it was in (up) while he was defying cops and walking to his car instead of getting on the ground.
Because he was tased.

I don't disagree about him not complying. I disagree with being killed for not complying. We do not live in a dictatorship. This is not North Korea.

If it were okay to shoot anyone with criminal record or in possession of drugs for not complying we'd be missing many of our friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bravo!!

As a former LEO myself, what I find disturbing is that not one officer even attempted to speak with Mr. Crutcher to ask him what happened; the PD came upon the scene and immediately took an offensive posture, as if the victim had just robbed a bank. Even the comments from the helicopter PD support that - saying that he looked like a bad dude, etc. I mean, they all just assumed that he was a hardened criminal before even checking anything out. Ironically, the one officer stated they believed that Crutcher was on PCP, and what a surprise - PCP was found in Crutcher's van. Go figure. To me, nothing about this case feels right at all...
This is not uncommon. And when people are so upset that say, Alton Sterling, didn't comply, I think they don't realize that the police probably didn't even try to talk to him, ask questions, etc. Many of these Black men are literally ambushed.

Mr. Crutcher was probably scared out of his mind. His car broke down, and suddenly guns!

People can be pro-police AND anti police brutality. FYI

Trying to read up on what's going on in Charlotte now and found this article. Interesting with good photos.

cnn.it/2dkrpJp

His right hand was down around his pocket, that's clear. Whether he was trying to open the car door, or what he was doing is not clear. Moments before he was shot, his hand came down from the position it was in (up) while he was defying cops and walking to his car instead of getting on the ground.

From what Ive seen, I can't tell if the window was up or down. Where were Crutcher's car keys? In the ignition or in his right pocket?

I don't disagree about him not complying. I disagree with being killed for not complying. We do not live in a dictatorship. This is not North Korea.

If it were okay to shoot anyone with criminal record or in possession of drugs for not complying we'd be missing many of our friends and family.

I would be very curious to know whether this man had a medical condition. Any history of Diabetes, for example. Low blood sugar would cause him to disobey commands because they would not make sense to him. Time will tell.

No and never claimed to be.

Being former LE doesn't give you some sort of power to see what happened BEFORE the footage unless you were there.

I asked how they knew. If they knew, they should be able to tell how right?

No one can tell what drug, if any, a person has in their system until a toxicology screen is done. Time will tell. This little 5 year LEO just needed to get "one" under her belt!!!

I would like to know if the officer had run his tag and knew of his priors before she engaged him. This is the only reason I can think of that she would be so on edge and emotional. I in no way think she was justified in shooting him, just wondering how the situation escalated so quickly.

As I understand it, she was on her way to a domestic violence call when she happened upon this car that was basically blocking the road. She didn't know whether the man near the car even owned the car, and apparently he wouldn't answer her or communicate meaningfully with her.

No link, sorry, this was a radio discussion.

I remember at first it was said they were on the way to another call but then that there was a 911 call about a car blocking the road. J just wondered if she had happened to have any idea who he was. Not that that would be any sort of excuse, but I have seen court records posted on FB that if she had known may have been why she was scared.

I guess I'm just looking for some sort of reason besides "I got scared".

I live in Tulsa, I'm a suburban 40 year old white lady and I'm scared of the cops around here. Never had anything but bad experiences with them. I really hope there are major changes made in Tulsa.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back