OK - Tommy Wolf, 9, murdered, mom injured, Nichols Hills, 16 Nov 2009 *Insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope that this isn't off topic but when I was prescribed Citalopram, from day one I was obsessed with thoughts of hanging myself.
I hadn't been suicidal before.
It was terrifying as I think that I could have done it, but it wouldn't really have been me doing it. Difficult to explain IYKWIM :waitasec:

I am just reading this thread for the first time and I have to say-- this has made me sick.

I don't care for the cases where insanity is pulled in and I feel that most are a desperate attempt to get less punishment.

He does have a history with mental issues (depression) is all that is being mentioned. While there is the case of the teenage boy who killed his parents or grandparents while on a behaviour drug (that was the defense) I still don't understand what makes them kill.

Dr. Wolf had to be "out of his mind" to do this to his own son. What I don't understand is if he was on this medicine for any length of time, why did he kill that night and not sometime before.

What was his past with his wife as far as "was he ever abusive or threatening to her" or any past girlfriends or family for that matter?

I think the drug companies need to do some serious research on the drugs that they have out there as to the effects it has on the people taking it.

This is just uncomprehensible.

If I were the mother, I would be looking for a lawsuit against the drug company for negligence.

I hope that this isn't off topic but when I was prescribed Citalopram, from day one I was obsessed with thoughts of hanging myself.
It was terrifying as I think that I could have done it, but it wouldn't really have been me doing it. Difficult to explain IYKWIM :waitasec:

Thank you for speaking up! My lovely daughter-by-marriage had the same experience with a different well-known prescription drug. So many people had this experience that the pharmaceutical company now issues warnings specifically about this; pharmaceutical companies do NOT do this without enormous data verifying this as a bona-fide side effect of the medication.

Not saying necessarily that's what happened in this case, just that the possibility exists. If a person feels suicidal, homicidal could be pretty close behind.

Prozac made me out of my mind with thoughts of suicide. Just driving down the road I'd look for things to drive into- trees, poles, the ocean. I resisted- I knew it was not a viable option but I also stopped bringing my child in the car with me... just in case. I have always had suicidal ideations, so I don't blame the medicine for my thoughts but I do think it enhanced the issue.

http://www.koco.com/news/22011137/detail.html

"Dr. Stephen Wolf spoke to KOCO cameras at Friday's mental competency hearing.Even before he stepped into the courtroom for this competency hearing, Wolf may have jeopardized his own case by offering a simple apology."

I wasn't very impressed by the tone of his "apology" in the video. IMO it seemed less than sincere. Sounded more annoyed and indignant to me. :twocents:

Prozac made me out of my mind with thoughts of suicide. Just driving down the road I'd look for things to drive into- trees, poles, the ocean. I resisted- I knew it was not a viable option but I also stopped bringing my child in the car with me... just in case. I have always had suicidal ideations, so I don't blame the medicine for my thoughts but I do think it enhanced the issue.

Several years back my husband had an incredibly stressful job and grew depressed. It was the only time he ever went on medication, and the doctor gave him Prozac. He never mentioned suicidal thoughts, but it absolutely skewered his outlook on things. He could be sitting there watching a sitcom and tears would be streaming down his face and he wouldn't know why! He said it was bizarre and scary. It's like his body was desperate to express emotion and his brain was confused.

I've been on Lexapro before for acute anxiety and the resulting depression, and haven't had those issues. The only thing that ever freaked me out was Ambien.

I'm not usually a fan of the "Drug Did It" defense, but there are some crimes where the insanity or the addled-ness seems so incredibly obvious. Like the woman who dismembered and ate part of her infant. I'm always at war with myself. I want them executed, really, so they can never reproduce or harm another child. At the same time, you just know that they were suffering from extreme mental illness. Either way, they should never see the light of day again. Mental illness is a viable defense with some cases, but all that should mean, if they're guilty, is that they should be incarcerated in a facility equipped to deal with them. I don't think people like this can be trusted on the streets again.

I have to say that Dr. Wolf's description of Bipolar (off meds) is right on. I have three adult sons who have sudden onset Bipolar I, Bipolar II Rapid Cycling, and Bipolar with Mixed State. All had their onsets at age 28, not far off when it sounds as if Dr. Wolf started having problems.

I've personally witnessed every behavior (other than murder) Dr. Wolf described. It's terrifying to watch a loving, bright person turn into a monster before your very eyes. My heart breaks for his wife, Mary, as she surely knew he was on shaky ground. The mania and grandiosity wear family members out. You really get to the point of compassion fatigue. And people with bipolar desperately need their families and friends.

I know, in my heart, that Dr. Wolf must have terrible remorse. No one goes off their meds really "by choice". The euphoria and the grandiosity are horrible tricksters. They make the person feel as it they are not only well but that they are fabulous.

It's similar to when a healthy person takes a headache medication. If the headache goes away and your head feels normal (or even blissfully pain-free...in comparison to how it felt an hour ago), you are not likely to take another pill. The pain is gone.

With bipolar, when you stop your meds, mania sets in and mania feels wonderful. You can do anything, need no sleep, you feel creative and feerless, you can have sex with anyone. Food tastes better, the very air on your skin feels divine--you can fly. Why would you want to take that pill that dulls everything? That's how I've had it explained to me by my sons. I don't think any of us without bipolar or loving someone with bipolar can really understand the challenge of staying on those drugs.

The moral of this story is that we need to develop medications that can be consistently delivered...similar to an insulin pump or an implant IMO. A book that really helped me understand the importance of consistent medication is "What Goes Up: Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One" by Judy Eron. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I think his illness is legit. So sad for all involved.

I don't know what to think about this one. I'd like to hear something from his wife; though I am sure she is still too traumatized to say much of anything. I would think, though, that she would have the best idea as to whether or not this was done intentionally or as a result of psychological illness.

I have to say that Dr. Wolf's description of Bipolar (off meds) is right on. I have three adult sons who have sudden onset Bipolar I, Bipolar II Rapid Cycling, and Bipolar with Mixed State. All had their onsets at age 28, not far off when it sounds as if Dr. Wolf started having problems.

I've personally witnessed every behavior (other than murder) Dr. Wolf described. It's terrifying to watch a loving, bright person turn into a monster before your very eyes. My heart breaks for his wife, Mary, as she surely knew he was on shaky ground. The mania and grandiosity wear family members out. You really get to the point of compassion fatigue. And people with bipolar desperately need their families and friends.

I know, in my heart, that Dr. Wolf must have terrible remorse. No one goes off their meds really "by choice". The euphoria and the grandiosity are horrible tricksters. They make the person feel as it they are not only well but that they are fabulous.

It's similar to when a healthy person takes a headache medication. If the headache goes away and your head feels normal (or even blissfully pain-free...in comparison to how it felt an hour ago), you are not likely to take another pill. The pain is gone.

With bipolar, when you stop your meds, mania sets in and mania feels wonderful. You can do anything, need no sleep, you feel creative and feerless, you can have sex with anyone. Food tastes better, the very air on your skin feels divine--you can fly. Why would you want to take that pill that dulls everything? That's how I've had it explained to me by my sons. I don't think any of us without bipolar or loving someone with bipolar can really understand the challenge of staying on those drugs.

The moral of this story is that we need to develop medications that can be consistently delivered...similar to an insulin pump or an implant IMO. A book that really helped me understand the importance of consistent medication is "What Goes Up: Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One" by Judy Eron. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Wow. That's one of the best things I've ever read on the Internet. Good job!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back