OK - Tommy Wolf, 9, murdered, mom injured, Nichols Hills, 16 Nov 2009 *Insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I read in one of the articles that police had advised citizens not to open doors in the middle of the night if someone was knocking - to call 911 instead of answering the door.

I don't blame the neighbor at all for being afraid & calling LE -- I would be freaked out too at 3 or 4 in the a.m...... it's just a sad world we live in when we can't open our doors to help a neighbor.

Also, earlier this year, a police officer shot a burglar to death one block away from the Wolf residence.

I believe she was released the same day.
Yesterday they said she remained in the hospital. I'm thinking she was released last night or this morning.

If he's an alcohol abuser/addict, as reports from the neighbor indicate, I speculate that he uses those substances to self-medicate his mental problems.

I would be interested to know if his medication regimen has any recent changes, such a switch to generic meds or a new dosage or a new medication added.

ONe common medicine prescribed to reduce cravings has a notorious generic equivalent with a different release technology. The generic is suspected of leading to alternate periods of overdose and underdose, deranging the patients' progress.

(The manufacturer of the generic is doing something almost unheard of to get to the bottom of adverse reports - an actual clinical trial of effectiveness.)

Local news says police will be speaking with Mary sometime today. I wonder if she's been hospitalized all this time?

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-dr-license-issue-no-personal-story,0,3425673.story

According to the video in this link, MW was released from the hospital the same day.

While my thoughts and prayers are with MW, first and foremost, I can't help but think about the pain and sorrow SW's parents and family must be feeling, as well. By all accounts, so far, the Wolf's were a happy and close family and this is completely out of the realm of anything they could have expected to happen, ever. I can't imagine the devastation that must be felt by this family and their community as a result of this catastrophe. I'm devastated and heartbroken and I live nowhere near there. Utter confusion, all around.

I read in one of the articles that police had advised citizens not to open doors in the middle of the night if someone was knocking - to call 911 instead of answering the door.

I don't blame the neighbor at all for being afraid & calling LE -- I would be freaked out too at 3 or 4 in the a.m...... it's just a sad world we live in when we can't open our doors to help a neighbor.

ITA......There was really absolutely nothing the neighbor could have done to help at that point other than exactly what they did....they called 911. The officer who arrived first was headed to the neighbors house to respond when he heard screaming coming from the actual crime scene house according to the probable cause report from yesterday.

jmoo

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-dr-license-issue-no-personal-story,0,3425673.story

According to the video in this link, MW was released from the hospital the same day.

While my thoughts and prayers are with MW, first and foremost, I can't help but think about the pain and sorrow SW's parents and family must be feeling, as well. By all accounts, so far, the Wolf's were a happy and close family and this is completely out of the realm of anything they could have expected to happen, ever. I can't imagine the devastation that must be felt by this family and their community as a result of this catastrophe. I'm devastated and heartbroken and I live nowhere near there. Utter confusion, all around.

I'm wondering if it really was a happy family. Accounts of SW's anger issues, drug and alcohol issues, mental health issues all spell unhappiness in the home. That he was having problems at work, where people normally try to hold it in, tells me he was over the edge. He was just able to put on a good face in front of neighbors, friends, perhaps other relatives. But I would bet poor Mary suffered. So sad, just awful and heartbreaking.

I believe 100% that in this case the Dr. was suffering from a mental illness. Just listening to the 911 call and his reference to the child being the Devil, he really did believe his son was the devil. His mind slipped into a state of psychotic something or other.

I don't think it has to do with medication, alcohol, drugs...

I think it is really important that people understand that. Because if the public doesn't become aware of these types of mental illness problems, how are we going to stop it from happening?

That's my honest opinion. I think the public uses the "drugs" "medications" "alcoholism" etc, as a crutch far too often when in reality it is the PERSON who has the problem. And we need to start finding ways to help the person with the mental illness BEFORE they get to this point and kill themselves or an innocent child or whomever. Sadly, we don't have the type of treatments available, and the knowledge available in this world to prevent mental breaks from happening. But if we keep using crutches to why a person killed so and so, I don't think that we will ever really progress in this area.

I believe 100% that in this case the Dr. was suffering from a mental illness. Just listening to the 911 call and his reference to the child being the Devil, he really did believe his son was the devil. His mind slipped into a state of psychotic something or other.

I think it is really important that people understand that. Because if the public doesn't become aware of these types of mental illness problems, how are we going to stop it from happening?

That's my honest opinion. I think the public uses the "drugs" "medications" "alcoholism" etc, as a crutch far too often when in reality it is the PERSON who has the problem. And we need to start finding ways to help the person with the mental illness BEFORE they get to this point and kill themselves or an innocent child or whomever. Sadly, we don't have the type of treatments available, and the knowledge available in this world to prevent mental breaks from happening. But if we keep using crutches to why a person killed so and so, I don't think that we will ever really progress in this area.

may, ITA with you that this horrible episode originated from a mental illness. Without a doubt in my mind. Also, ITA that it is important for people to understand that.

I do, however, think it is just as important to bring to public's attention, the fact that mental illness in combination with meds/drugs/alcohol can carry severe side effects. These can alter the mind and in some minds the result can be an episode like this. I don't feel it's being used as a crutch as much as I feel it can be used as a testament to what the combination can result in.
Drugs that alter the mind, whether they be prescribed or used by way of self medicating, can carry dangerous side effects, especially when used in combination with each other and on top of a mental illness.
JMO

Agreeing heartily with mayelf and Tizzle, above. If a drug, however, does turn out to be involved, don't discount methamphetamine. We're automatically assuming that a doctor would rely on legal pharmaceuticals and that perhaps something went wrong with prescribed drugs or dosages.

Not necessarily, in spite of the trappings of this case: the comfortable suburb, the professional person. If one looked at this case without knowing where it took place or to whom, if one just listened to the third 911 call, for example, one might reach a conclusion that the events were the product of a methamphetamine psychosis. And the drug is prevalent and widely available in Oklahoma.

Can anyone advise me if I can get alerts (and if so how i do this please) to this thread after someone has posted a new message? Thanks in advance.

At the top of this thread, you will see a Thread Tools. Click it and choose the subscription option.

You can manage your subscriptions in your control panel.

Agreeing heartily with mayelf and Tizzle, above. If a drug, however, does turn out to be involved, don't discount methamphetamine. We're automatically assuming that a doctor would rely on legal pharmaceuticals and that perhaps something went wrong with prescribed drugs or dosages.

Not necessarily, in spite of the trappings of this case: the comfortable suburb, the professional person. If one looked at this case without knowing where it took place or to whom, if one just listened to the third 911 call, for example, one might reach a conclusion that the events were the product of a methamphetamine psychosis. And the drug is prevalent and widely available in Oklahoma.

Duly noted. :)

I just want to be clear that I wasn't automatically assuming that something went wrong with drugs possibly prescribed to him. It is a possibility. It's also possible that, being a doctor, he had easier access to certain pills, possibly opiates, and obtained them illegally, this way. Certain pills (many actually), whether obtained through a prescription or illegally, when mixed with alcohol (even beer), can cause severely, erratic behavior. I've seen it.
Yes. Meth is also a possibility, but I have to say, I don't think it's a factor here. JMO

Excellent post.

I don't believe it has to do with meds or alcohol, either. That is more or less an outside theory when you consider he has a history of major depressive episodes requiring hospitalization going back to early adulthood. Most likely the development of psychosis is related to the exisiting mental disorder.

Here's another link to the story. This link and the link on my previous post each have a short video on the story. It is so sad.

http://www.newsok.com/

may, ITA with you that this horrible episode originated from a mental illness. Without a doubt in my mind. Also, ITA that it is important for people to understand that.

I do, however, think it is just as important to bring to public's attention, the fact that mental illness in combination with meds/drugs/alcohol can carry severe side effects. These can alter the mind and in some minds the result can be an episode like this. I don't feel it's being used as a crutch as much as I feel it can be used as a testament to what the combination can result in.
Drugs that alter the mind, whether they be prescribed or used by way of self medicating, can carry dangerous side effects, especially when used in combination with each other and on top of a mental illness.
JMO

Tizzle and Mayelf - I think you both bring up very important points. In my opinion, this is one of the hardest things to get straight.

How do you know when the psychotic break is because of the mental illness and when it is the result of meds? If the person is NOT on any meds and is not self-medicating, then you would know.

But I don't think you can ever really know if the person is on prescribed meds. If you read the known side effects of many of these meds they state that the meds can cause hallucinations, psychosis, nightmares, agressiveness, etc., etc.

When my mother in law became ill - we never knew if her behavior was because of the illness or because of the meds the Docs prescribed. It was awful and sad.

Salem

I respectfully disagree with you. I believe the Dr. WAS under treatment for his mental illness at the time of the murder. Almost any drug out there has side effects. And a drug that works for one person may be poison to another. I'm sure he was under medication for his depression. If the Dr. was bipolar, he could have been in a manic state.

This case is so very tragic. I don't believe the Mom will ever be "fine."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back