Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr Hunter says:
“My family has had no personal suspicions that any of our residents are involved — including Belenky,” Hunter told the Herald.

According to the health department, Belenky was a resident for two years and four months — but left before finishing the program.

Hunter said Belenky decided to switch his specialty from anatomical and clinical pathology to forensic pathology and moved to Pennsylvania when he got a fellowship position in his new discipline.

“He did reasonably well (at Creighton). He was a good, solid resident,” said Hunter.

I wonder how long after the murders did he leave....

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/C...nvestigation/4206015/story.html#ixzz1CoQtVnjZ

Oh here it is, he left before the murders but was working in Pittsburg at time of murders.

Belenky was one of Hunter's residents before leaving the program in the summer of 2007. Belenky previously was a pathology student at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

At the time of the killings, Belenky worked as assistant medical examiner in Pittsburgh.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110202/NEWS97/702029911/1014

oh snick had it in her link too..

Great news! I am so glad to hear OPD is moving this case along!

This is mind boggling and it's just sinking in. Many of us have felt a CU connection for a while now! I feel sure that OPD has confirmed whether MB was at work in Pittsburgh on the day of the murders and tracked his movements, etc.

Where is he now that he quit the job in Alberta I wonder?

MOO

wm

Link to an article in the Edmonton Journal:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...igation/4206015/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

This represents a major news story in Alberta, even if no link exists in the Omaha killings. This man is being accused of falsifhying pathology reports some of which resulted in possible wrongful convictions.

The RCMP is involved and I have much more confidence in them than in OPD; I would hope they have him under close watch as he is a flight risk IMO. I think he still has a Russian passport.

I sure sounds like Dr H has no reason to feel suspicious of MB. Dr H may have pizzed this guy off and not even known he did so. Tom and Shirlee were murdered less than a year after his departure from CU. That's months of simmering emotions, cunning, plotting and planning (IF he is our perp) . This scenario seems quite different from most University related murders where the disturbed student goes on a gun rampage on campus.

Two thoughts about this potential POI. One, he is obviously very intelligent...Two, he is from another culture. Something that is not a big deal to US citizens MAY be taken as a slight in other cultures. I'll try and do a bit o research on the subject.

This is all MOO

wm

“Other detectives have spoken to him. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a suspect. There’s been a lot of people in different locations that our investigators have talked to in that case, so he’s one of them because he did know Dr. Hunter and was in town at the time,” Pecha said.

OK he was in town at the time...

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2011/02/02/17121046.html

I sure sounds like Dr H has no reason to feel suspicious of MB. Dr H may have pizzed this guy off and not even known he did so. Tom and Shirlee were murdered less than a year after his departure from CU. That's months of simmering emotions, cunning, plotting and planning (IF he is our perp) . This scenario seems quite different from most University related murders where the disturbed student goes on a gun rampage on campus.

Two thoughts about this potential POI. One, he is obviously very intelligent...Two, he is from another culture. Something that is not a big deal to US citizens MAY be taken as a slight in other cultures. I'll try and do a bit o research on the subject.

This is all MOO

wm

Interesting to note that in the OWH article, it says he was interviewed 2 Years ago. This jives with the rumors around town at the time.

What I found VERY interesting is that despite the hubbub about this guy, they are STILL going somewhere ELSE to interview people -- and not internationally.

Also, that they at least very seriously looked at around 10 people. Assume those are at least some of the people they lie-detected.

Three cheers for more press!

Interesting to note that in the OWH article, it says he was interviewed 2 Years ago. This jives with the rumors around town at the time.

What I found VERY interesting is that despite the hubbub about this guy, they are STILL going somewhere ELSE to interview people -- and not internationally.

Also, that they at least very seriously looked at around 10 people. Assume those are at least some of the people they lie-detected.

Three cheers for more press!

Yes! yes! three cheers for more press!

Omaha, do you think this guy could possibly be a red herring?

Also, have you any idea how many have been lie detected in this case? It's cool if you do not know or don't wish to answer. My curiosity gets the best of me sometimes so I cannot help but ask. TIA

wm

Yes! yes! three cheers for more press!

Omaha, do you think this guy could possibly be a red herring?

Also, have you any idea how many have been lie detected in this case? It's cool if you do not know or don't wish to answer. My curiosity gets the best of me sometimes so I cannot help but ask. TIA

wm

I know it was mentioned on that external website, but it was not specific, in terms of who or how many were tested. Very curious.

I can definitely see the resemblance to the sketch, but I have been seeing a resemblance a lot, I think I'm looking for it. And it definitely might be our guy.

Certain things definitely fit, and I think the med student angle has been very compelling from the beginning. I hope that 2 years after interviewing him they would have some sort of evidence by now.

I want them to find the killers as soon as possible, and even if he's not the guy, I hope this press and bringing him in for more questioning may lead to information that gets the killer.

I have emailed links to our discussion to news staff at the Calgary Herald and Vancouver Sun.
If we have any lurkers on here from Canada we'd love to hear from you and how this story is playing, seems now to be mainly confined to Western Canada.
Also maybe someone with more skill than I have can post a side by side comparison of MB's photo with that of the POI from earlier?

OhhKayyee!! conflicting information here!

Above article states he left CU in summer 2007.

Above link states:

There has been no arrest in the March 2008 case, in which Dr. William Hunter of Omaha found the bodies of Shirlee Sherman and son Thomas Hunter, 11, at his home.

At the time, Belenky was said to be a pathology resident at Creighton University medical school and under Hunter’s supervision.

THEN:

On Tuesday, officer Michael Pecha, a spokesman for the Omaha Police Department confirmed Belenky is part of an ongoing probe into that double-slaying investigation.“Other detectives have spoken to him. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a suspect. There’s been a lot of people in different locations that our investigators have talked to in that case, so he’s one of them because he did know Dr. Hunter and was in town at the time,” Pecha said.

wm

I was so frustrated about no progress & am not really current on this case but in light of new posts, I have a couple of thoughts:

1- Belenky's appearance seems somewhat similar to the person seen in the Hunter's neighborhood the afternoon of the murders.

2- Omaha detectives traveled to Calgary to see Belenky 2 years ago. That seems an adequate time for him to have proven he was elsewhere at the time of the killings, in which case the investigation would refer to him as a person who had been questioned & ruled out.

So far as I know, MB was residing in Pittsburgh at the time of the killings. It would have been easy for a determined perp to hop a plane and and back however, wonder if LE is checking airline records, etc.
I'd be interested to see if this is a story in the Pittsburgh area, will check and advise later if so.

I know it was mentioned on that external website, but it was not specific, in terms of who or how many were tested. Very curious.

I can definitely see the resemblance to the sketch, but I have been seeing a resemblance a lot, I think I'm looking for it. And it definitely might be our guy.

Certain things definitely fit, and I think the med student angle has been very compelling from the beginning. I hope that 2 years after interviewing him they would have some sort of evidence by now.

I want them to find the killers as soon as possible, and even if he's not the guy, I hope this press and bringing him in for more questioning may lead to information that gets the killer.

Omaha or anyone, Can you please provide a link for the external web site when you have the time. It think it will assist sleuths who have not yet viewed it.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I'm sure you all are weary of hearing my lamentations about losing all of my links!

I want them to find the killers as soon as possible too. let's try and keep the faith!

wm

OhhKayyee!! conflicting information here!

Above article states he left CU in summer 2007.

Above link states:

There has been no arrest in the March 2008 case, in which Dr. William Hunter of Omaha found the bodies of Shirlee Sherman and son Thomas Hunter, 11, at his home.

At the time, Belenky was said to be a pathology resident at Creighton University medical school and under Hunter’s supervision.

THEN:

On Tuesday, officer Michael Pecha, a spokesman for the Omaha Police Department confirmed Belenky is part of an ongoing probe into that double-slaying investigation.“Other detectives have spoken to him. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a suspect. There’s been a lot of people in different locations that our investigators have talked to in that case, so he’s one of them because he did know Dr. Hunter and was in town at the time,” Pecha said.

wm

I'm thinking the World Herald probably has better direct info on this.

belskch.jpg

Wow, that is as close as it ever gets.

Wow, that is as close as it ever gets.

Check out the nose, eyebrows and lips. It's a bit difficult as one is profile while the newer one is frontal. It'd be nice if anyone can locate a profile view of MB.
One thought- if he is arrested by the RCMP in connection with the fraud on the medical examinations, they will do a DNA test I'd assume. If they got any DNA from the crime scene he may be toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18