Omaha double murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My prayers go out to this student's family. This hurts my heart. No family should lose a child. I thought I had lost my son, who was in a tragic accident in '06 and was a college student at the time. He wasn't breathing and was brought back and was in ICU in critical condition for 4 days. I can't describe how I reacted because I was just functioning in a daze. He survived by the grace of God.

I can't begin to imagine the grief these parents feel. How very sad........

WM ... TG your son is ok!! I can only imagine how scary that experience was for you! Armymom here, had my fair share of scares with mine.

Everybody is focused on state plates and such...

Almost every USED-car dealership puts their own plate on all their cars on the lot, and often leave em on for the purchaser to remove themselves

The only dealer plate I have ever seen is the one they use when you take the car on a test drive, but that's new only. Used cars retain the plate they came with. When you buy the used auto, the DMV title/registration paperwork takes care of the change in ownership. Maybe it's different in other states. Does an owner retain the plate when a used auto is sold?

Just not sure what Moonlight is trying to say?

The process probably varies from state to state. When I bought a used car from a used car dealership, the plate was on it and the dealership took care of transferring the tags and title. Proof of insurance was required for the transfer.

Wll, for whatever it's worth, New Mexico is one of the few states that require only 1 license plate on the back of the vehicle.

Wll, for whatever it's worth, New Mexico is one of the few states that require only 1 license plate on the back of the vehicle.

That is very interesting, YellowDog. I may embark on a project soon visiting the DMV site for each state to get some stats for us to sleuth. It will probably be early next week before I can have it completed, though.

Bump!!!!!!!:banghead:

Hi everyone! Just checking in! Have been a lil under the weather and also following up on volunteer responsibilities. Keep up the great sleuthing! :)

Hope you're feeling better :)!!!!!!!!
Off to see if Tuba responded to your last post.

Hope you're feeling better :)!!!!!!!!
Off to see if Tuba responded to your last post.

Thanks Knox. I am feeling better. I haven't begun researching the plates yet. If any of you can share info with me about your state's requirements, I would greatly appreciate it. I just need to know the name of the state and whether one tag on the back or 2 tags, front and back along with a brief description or pic of the plates used in 2008. You can pm the info to me. TIA for your help.

matilda

Thanks Knox. I am feeling better. I haven't begun researching the plates yet. If any of you can share info with me about your state's requirements, I would greatly appreciate it. I just need to know the name of the state and whether one tag on the back or 2 tags, front and back along with a brief description or pic of the plates used in 2008. You can pm the info to me. TIA for your help.

matilda

FLORIDA: BACK PLATE only- basic plate is white w/ oranges in the center BUT we have a MANY state issued 'specialty' plates that cost an add'l $20 or so that feature " Save the Manatee", Florida State U, a Panther, Gators, and on and on. Point is, MANY colors are used.

Here's a link listing about 75 different State issued plates from Florida:
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

You might want to start w/ a look @ the Nebraska Dept of Motor Vehicles site to get a listing of all their State issued 'specialty' plates.

California is two tags, month and year, front and back plate required.
I think the link worldlicenseplates.com will be helpful, has plates by year with several examples. Fifth has a point though, there are many "speciality" plates available. Targeting specific states will lessen the work load. I'm always willing to help if you need it : )

I have heard of a "trick" that criminals use to distort auto tags. They put clear colored plastic over the tag. This makes any plate with a light colored baclground appear to be a different color. A marking pen in the right color can be used on the plastic to "change" a letter or number (a "C" can be made into an "O" etc) The plastic can be removed very quickly.

I have heard of a "trick" that criminals use to distort auto tags. They put clear colored plastic over the tag. This makes any plate with a light colored baclground appear to be a different color. A marking pen in the right color can be used on the plastic to "change" a letter or number (a "C" can be made into an "O" etc) The plastic can be removed very quickly.

Good thought, Kemo. I never heard about this. It would certainly be a quick and easy way to alter the appearance and quick and easy to dispose of too.
This could be like finding a needle in a haystack with all the specialty plates being offered nowadays, which FifthEssence pointed out.

Thank you all for your help.
:blowkiss:

Bumpity bump!

I have not sleuthed any new info. I really feel sorry for LE having to try and track down a License Plate. Whew I never knew there were so many! I thought it would be fairly simple but as we know, things aren't always as they seem......

Last night I dreamed that OPD called a presser to announce an arrest had been made in this case. Wouldn't that be great news!

Keeping the faith!

Just giving this a bump for Tom and Shirlee.

WM, I hope your every dream comes true- especially this one. I have had a strong feeling for the past week or so that we may be reaching the end in this case. So much so that I have been checking local news sites all the time for some word.

Why is the FBI involved in this case?

Why is the FBI involved in this case?

Good question. When this was announced about 2-3 months after the crime I think it was pitched as being so that Omaha LE could use their profiling resources. I think the idea was that this could be a serial killer.
At the time I felt it a little strange and irregular. Perhaps there was some indication that state lines had been crossed, etc. Maybe someone can provide us with a better explanation.

Good question. When this was announced about 2-3 months after the crime I think it was pitched as being so that Omaha LE could use their profiling resources. I think the idea was that this could be a serial killer.
At the time I felt it a little strange and irregular. Perhaps there was some indication that state lines had been crossed, etc. Maybe someone can provide us with a better explanation.

I assume the same thing about state lines being crossed since witnesses reported the SUV with a plate that apeared to be from out of state.

I hope justice is soon served or let's accept the AMW feature in this case!

PHEW! I get so angry about these murders sometimes. :furious: My prayers are with LE as they work to solve this case and also with Tom and Shirlee's families.

I was pondering the funerals being scheduled for the same day and time and wondered if LE perhaps suggested the families do this and had undercover officers at each funeral to determine if a possible perp was in attendance. The scheduling of the funerals still bothers me...........:confused:

I assume the same thing about state lines being crossed since witnesses reported the SUV with a plate that apeared to be from out of state.

I hope justice is soon served or let's accept the AMW feature in this case!

PHEW! I get so angry about these murders sometimes. :furious: My prayers are with LE as they work to solve this case and also with Tom and Shirlee's families.

I was pondering the funerals being scheduled for the same day and time and wondered if LE perhaps suggested the families do this and had undercover officers at each funeral to determine if a possible perp was in attendance. The scheduling of the funerals still bothers me...........:confused:

I thought the funerals being held on the same day was weird too, but assumed the families were not close or there were other issues, perhaps some blaming going on?

If anyone cares to, you can scroll back several months and see my comments about the funerals being held at the same time. I think I commented that it bothered me at the time and although I haven't thought about it awhile, I guess it still does. I'd assume there would have been people wanting to attend both. What was also interesting was how this case just dropped off the edge of the earth right after the funerals. The Omaha World Herald had utterly nothing for two months- refused to print any letters to the editor- I know at least two persons wrote about public safety issues and their letters never appeared. I have lived here for over 35 years. I know when the powers that be are trying to kill a story. That is how it felt then. It's how it feels now, and they are winning. Most people in Omaha that still follow this think it will never be solved.
Local media has done a few things in the past six months, mostly I think at the urging of the families who got tired of the feeling that OPD and the media wanted this case to just vanish.
My feeling now is that I would not be surprised to learn that OPD is not doing squat on this case. Remember they refused to let AMW run a story?
Maybe they have something big they are working on- I sure as hell hope they do. Because this thing is starting to feel and smell like a coverup. Of what? Poor police work at the crime scene due to understaffing? Involvement of powerful figures in the Creighton community not wanting to bring the old school into disrepute? Fear of embarassing someone if the real motive came out?
Well that's my rant and it was long overdue. I hope the word I got that OPD is looking at this thread is correct. Because you need to know how a lot of us feel. Betrayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme