OR - Emilio Hoffman, 14, killed in Troutdale high school shooting, 10 June 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:cat::cat::cat::viking:

I have three cats who would be mean weapons IF they wanted to be, but they wouldn't! So, I will just become a mean Vikingette.

I have 6 cats, a cricket bat and a tennis racquet :)

This school is TOO big in my mind, approximately 3000 kids, and it looks like the classes were too big (40/teacher for every ~46 minute period according to the article I posted back a few pages). You do the math. Although I do not think we would ever get to 10 kids/teacher, I think 20 is optimal and 30 is the max. And, they should have block scheduling.
Mmmm, no. I went to a 3,000 student high school back in the late 70's. No ill effects there. We had a fight occur off-campus with pipes- they weren't students, and the worst that happened is they closed the campus (locked gates) and you couldn't leave campus for lunches.
It's manageable. Class size is a different story, but you'll never have a 10:1 ratio.

Charge the parent who legally owned the gun with 1 count of negligent homicide and one count of some sort of negligent crime for the injured coach. It's time!

I agree, here is a case where the father was arrested when his son brought a loaded gun to school. BUT looks like they only arrested the father because he was a felon with guns in his house. Otherwise he probably would not have been arrested.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Student-Brings-Loaded-Gun-to-School-PD-260159701.html

ciao

Here where I live that is how it is done. Guns in the home are required to be locked up with a safety 'On' on all the firearms. If something happens the parents are held responsible. And the law comes down on them. jmo

That's the way it should be. I have stated numerous times that I have no issue with gun owners. I do have an issue with irresponsible gun owners.

However, I have never heard of a parent being charged with an actual felony. That is what needs to change. Once you are a convicted felon... you can no longer legally have a firearm. Maybe, just maybe... gun owners will be more inclined to take their rights of obtaining weapons legally a little bit more seriously.

GUN CONTROL belongs in the PP. Take it there and stop posting about it here.

Salem

I have a contingency plan for a zombie apocalypse..... :scared: :blushing:

The zombie apocalypse is an euphemism which I also use on occasion. No one actually expects to have real zombies running around.

The zombie apocalypse is an euphemism which I also use on occasion. No one actually expects to have real zombies running around.

You need to come down to Fort Myers, Florida in October. It happens every year. Zombie Con.

That's the way it should be. I have stated numerous times that I have no issue with gun owners. I do have an issue with irresponsible gun owners.

However, I have never heard of a parent being charged with an actual felony. That is what needs to change. Once you are a convicted felon... you can no longer legally have a firearm. Maybe, just maybe... gun owners will be more inclined to take their rights of obtaining weapons legally a little bit more seriously.

I will say that is how it is reported in the news, but I have never followed it to see what actually happens. jmo

Mmmm, no. I went to a 3,000 student high school back in the late 70's. No ill effects there. We had a fight occur off-campus with pipes- they weren't students, and the worst that happened is they closed the campus (locked gates) and you couldn't leave campus for lunches.
It's manageable. Class size is a different story, but you'll never have a 10:1 ratio.

Looking at the whole school, I'm talking about the overall environment - not really good being that big. Kids are anonymous. You may have done fine, I felt a bit lost in the big consolidation. Look up Thomas Sergiovanni who wrote some books about building community in schools - difficult with large schools. I actually interviewed him once for a semi-documentary I worked on. Smaller schools also work better in areas that have gangs and such - gangs become some kids community, their family - that's why some kids join. Too much anonymity, too little community and it starts with overloaded schools and teachers. I don't think 10 kids per classroom is optimal - not enough interaction and variety, so that's not what I said. I think about 20:1 - 30:1 is optimal. Teachers need to know the kids...but I could go on and on about bullying, cliques, etc. The best school I ever saw during my career was in a town of 5,000 where the teachers had the luxury of working together, taking the kids down to the river for science experiments, having interdisciplinary/integrated learning, presenting their work to the town council. So don't diss my ideas missy!

Curious as to what could have triggered this kid. I know that research shows coverage of these incidents will lead to more. But there still must be a motive. He looks to have had a nice family, I feel sorry for them. He doesn't look the type that someone would bully, but you never know. In a family with a military member I'm not surprised by guns being around. My dad and uncles are cops and my brother was always interested (not obsessed) by guns, and handled them safe, and then joined the USCG. Having guns around doesn't always lead to this. What are the underlying factors? Mental illness no doubt, plus an obsession with anti-government?

Looking at the whole school, I'm talking about the overall environment - not really good being that big. Kids are anonymous. You may have done fine, I felt a bit lost in the big consolidation. Look up Thomas Sergiovanni who wrote some books about building community in schools - difficult with large schools. I actually interviewed him once for a semi-documentary I worked on. Smaller schools also work better in areas that have gangs and such - gangs become some kids community, their family - that's why some kids join. Too much anonymity, too little community and it starts with overloaded schools and teachers. I don't think 10 kids per classroom is optimal - not enough interaction and variety, so that's not what I said. I think about 20:1 - 30:1 is optimal. Teachers need to know the kids...but I could go on and on about bullying, cliques, etc. The best school I ever saw during my career was in a town of 5,000 where the teachers had the luxury of working together, taking the kids down to the river for science experiments, having interdisciplinary/integrated learning, presenting their work to the town council. So don't diss my ideas missy!
My daughter was in a program like that in her elementary school.

But do they expect an Apocalypse? And are they preparing for one.

I'm aware of the Euphemism. To me, they are of the same paranoid and fantastic nature, zombies or not.

jmo.

I think sometimes that families think these things are normal and they encourage talk and actions that lead to hate.

I don't think you have to be mentally ill in terms of a medical diagnosis.

Is hate considered mental illness? It seems like I have seen hate as a family value in some of these aituations.

Delgado, who sat next to Padgett in a freshman science since January said he seemed like a “really good, normal kid.” He worked out. He talked about cars. He flirted with girls. He talked back to the teacher.

“It was pretty normal, I mean he was conceited at times, he [kind of] showed off about the guns he had,” said Delgado.

Padgett often talked about joining the military, and was enrolled in the armed forces Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Core (JROTC), she said. “He said he had bullets at home, bullets and guns.”

She also describes him as "cocky" and "extremely outgoing."

Said Emilio was a hero. Something about if Emilio hadn't walked into the locker room the Padgett would have killed everyone in the gym. I wonder what this means. Did he try to stop or talk to him?

http://koin.com/2014/06/11/reynolds-high-shooter-jared-padgett-showed-off-about-guns/

I also saw a sensationalized story from the Daily Mail, calling him "Mormon shooter" who argued about Hitler with students the week before the shooting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/1...ol-had-assault-rifle-handgun-ammo-taken-from/

Earl Milliron, a friend of the Padgett family, said Jared planned a career in the military and was devoted to his Mormon faith after being ordained as a deacon at age 12.

...Jared Padgett's oldest brother had served in the military in Afghanistan and Jared was planning the same path, he said. Jared was in the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps program and was proud to be seen in his uniform. Jared's mother and father were no longer together, and the couple had six children, Milliron said.

...Police Chief Scott Anderson said Padgett had taken the weapons used in the attack from his family home. "The weapons had been secured, but he defeated the security measures," the chief said.

Padgett took a school bus to campus before the shooting and carried a guitar case and duffel bag. Police declined, however, to say if the weapons had been concealed in the baggage.

But do they expect an Apocalypse? And are they preparing for one.

I don't expect a full blown apocalypse, and I wouldn't survive one anyway.

Having said that I do see the possibility of civil unrest, rioting, etc...to be a real threat in some areas (New Orleans is an example, the L.A. riots are another example).

When the EBT cards stopped working a few months ago there were "mini riots" in walmarts within MINUTES, not days or weeks. If something happened that disrupted the distribution of food things could and would get ugly VERY fast in some areas of the country.

Anyone who thinks folks are just to "civilized" too behave badly, or that the government is capable of handling ANY crisis is REALLY out of touch with reality.

Elder Earl Milliron said Jared was very active in at the church, along with his father, Michael, and older brother, Lucas.
Milliron visited the family’s home after he heard about the shooting.

“I just can’t believe it,” Milliron told NBC Wednesday. “He was very quiet, very serious about his church.”
According to Milliron, Padgett was a deacon of the church.

Padgett’s father was also an elder, and acted as a spiritual adviser to his church community.

Although Milliron said he was shocked by the tragedy, he did say the divorce of Padgett’s parents may have had an impact on his mental state.

“It was rather tragic, the breakup of the family and that took a heavy toll on his dad,” Milliron said.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Mormon-elde...regarded-for-his-spirituality--262781811.html

The elder mentions that the divorce took a toll on the family.

Just wondering out loud here, if he would have had to spend the summer with one parent? My family was divorced and every summer I visited my dad for almost 2 months. As I got older I really hated being gone that long from my friends that I went to school with. Plus my dad was much more strict. Of course this is just simply me guessing wildly at anything that could be a motive.

He seems from the surface to be a really good kid.

Yeah, I know that toll can last, but it seems they divorced 4-5 years ago?

I'm not blaming the divorce or anything. Just that it is a major life stressor and traumatic for kids, some more than others.

He would have been 10 or 11 when it occurred. Just an observation, another piece of the puzzle that shaped him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KellzBellz01
Back