OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I like Rosie and all but give me a break. How many FN thousands does she get to sit on her lard butt and open her mouth for an hour a day???..It wouldnt hurt her to donate a little and keep her trap shut on situations she knows nothing about or that don't concern her.

Ca-Sun said:
You bet they would - in a heartbeat. These three men were doing what they loved, and then things worked against them. Now they are gone, their families are heartbroken and Rosie is bitching about the freakin' cost??? Not everything can or should be measured in dollars and cents.

JDB said:
But what about Nascar drivers that risk there lives every time the get in the car. Or football players that risk erey play?What is the difference. They do it because they love to. And the families were alright with it. Heck Skiing is dangerous.

I'm sorry, but climbing a moutain like that, in the dead of winter is nuts. And now they are all closer to God. It's sad and it's selfish. I feel terrible for the families, and especially their children.

People can come up with all sorts of excuses...they loved it, blah, blah, blah, but it still boils down to they are selfish, IMO.

nanandjim said:
I know that this is not popular, but I think that the families should bear at least some of the cost of the search for their loved ones who voluntarily went on this dangerous hike.

I agree.

I wonder if these daredevils would do these things if they knew that no one would come looking for them? I just shake my head everytime I read a story about someone doing something irresponsible like this. I feel so sad for the wives, and children...and the rest of their families.

They may have died doing what they loved, but it wasn't necessary. Too bad they didn't exercise a little common sense.

But at this point, my thoughts and prayers are with their families. How horrible for them. :(

The entire story is sad..........
But, having listened to James Whittiger the first American to climb Mt Everest.....
A hero of many more ,saying that Mt. Hood was as dangerous.......due to the weather. That it was deceiving, because of being calm below. Also, that it was not at all as tall a mountain,but the weather as furious. ( As Mt. Everest)
I am thinking that at least two of the winter months should be closed to high climbing. Maybe make limits........a distance allowed.
By not making rules, we allow this to happen.
Formost, by not having the locators on each and every climber....we are allowing tragedy to occur. That should be free and also a must.
Not that some inventor shouldn't make one the weight and size of our cell phones.........Bill Gates where are you??? Really........he would be the man to do this and do it right!!!

luvbeaches said:
I'm sorry, but climbing a moutain like that, in the dead of winter is nuts. And now they are all closer to God. It's sad and it's selfish. I feel terrible for the families, and especially their children.

People can come up with all sorts of excuses...they loved it, blah, blah, blah, but it still boils down to they are selfish, IMO.
Oh, get off your high horse.

Or, to phrase it in a more "seasonal" way, judge not lest ye be judged.

Did I just hear what I thought I heard on Fox? I thought Shep just reported that the autopsy report stated that there were no disabling injuries to Kelly James? Say what????

Also reported his COD as "Hypothermia", as we would have expected.

Climber James died of hypothermia, had been dead several days
Kelly James, the 48-year-old landscape architect whose body was recovered from a snow cave on Mount Hood Monday, died of hypothermia, said Dr. Larry Lewman of the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office.

Lewman said that during an autopsy on James on Wednesday, neither a physical exam nor X-rays revealed any broken bones or dislocations. Searchers and rescue officials did believe that James had a dislocated left shoulder, most likely during the ascent of the mountain.

"He might have had some sprains that you might not be able to document,'' Lewman said.

Lewman said it appears that James probably died not too long after he spoke to relatives by cellular phone on Dec. 10.

Lewman said it appears that James was also dehydrated, but that the results of chemical tests to confirm that are still pending.

James, from Dallas, Texas, along with 37-year-old Brian Hall, also of Dallas, and New Yorker Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, 36, set out to scale the summit of Mount Hood on Dec. 8. James' body was found by searchers Sunday, and transported to the state medical examiner's office on Tuesday.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/...e_oregonian_news/archives/2006_12.html#217799

luvbeaches said:

SO is skiing down a hill. So is swimming in the ocean. So is water sking. But people do it all the time.WHy because they love to. It is selfish for people to do what they want to do? I do not think so. Like I said before the familes did not oppose them doing it. They also knew the risk.

Posted: December 20th, 2006 2:59 PM

*****Note: The following news release is being sent out at the request of the Office of the Oregon State Medical Examiner.

***** The Office of the Oregon State Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy Wednesday morning on Kelly James.

*****According to Dr. Larry Lewman, the cause of death was hypothermia from exposure to the cold environment. Dehydration may have been a contributing factor and chemical tests are pending. Further, there were no disabling injuries documented by either the autopsy or x-rays, and Mr. James had been deceased several days prior to the discovery of his remains in the snow cave.

*****Questions related to the search should continue to be directed to the Hood River County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.thedalleschronicle.com/news/2006/12/news12-20-06-04.shtml

Well, that certainly was disappointing this afternoon, In the presser the Sheriff said from the piper cub they had spotted an area where the snow was yellow. Turns out it was rocks below the snow or ice, so they had nothing to warrant another search this afternoon with the weather coming in.

I just heard on FOX that acc to the autiopsy, Kelly James had no disabling injuries and that he died from hypothermia. Now we know what happened, and I think that with no insulated coat and not sleeping in a bag, hypothermia set in quite quickly for him. Jerry and Brian must have fallen to their deaths as the Sheriff has said.

With no disabling injuries, I don't think Kelly was left by the other 2 to go get help. The only reason you would ever split up is if it is a life or death matter. I don't think his hypothermia was, and if it was, he could still be rescued by a helicopter if they had called 911 which they never did. Now I'm thinking the 3 spent Fri night in their 3 man cave and Sat morn set off to go back down the mtn.

They got the the spot right above the Gullies where the Y anchor was to that old shack was on the ledge, now gone, hollowed out a shelter by that big rock to get out of the nasty weather for a bit and then set their webbing for an anchor to scale or drop down that almost vertical cliff to go down Eliot Glacier. I think Kelly had already dislocated his shoulder which would be painful so he waited up on the ledge. They finished that anchor and walked back up to the ledge to get Kelly and tied up together. Standing ready to go down I think either the first in line slipped or was caught by the wind and went over the cliff with the second man following him. I think Kelly was the last man tied, and to survive, had to cut the rope so he wouldn't go over as well.

Then I think he walked over to that big rock and up that slope to the snow behind where the footprints are. I see one set of tracks that look like they are leaving the area. And I think he went back towards the cave, weak, in a state of shock having realized his buddies just fell to their deaths in the blizzard, and when he thought he was close to the cave, with white out conditions and hypothermia setting in, walked around in a circle to get his bearings till he found the cave and went in. By that time it was probably into the evening time, and he was not feeling very good and was so stunned at what had happened, so he laid down on his pack {which he was found with acc to the guy who found him at CC}.

If he slept at all with the howling wind, it would have been daylight when he awoke and then he called home, talked to his son, then his wife called him back and the Sheriff told her to have him turn of his cell which he did.

I think he lasted till early Tues morn when he turned his cell on and then off right away to give a signal to his family he would be gone very soon. Very sad the turn of events, but it does explain why his were the only tools they found except the ice picks planted in the ice where they went over or set the anchor, why nothing of Jerry and Brian's was found except their ice picks and why the rope was cut. I think the Sheriff was trying to tell us these things but didn't want rule out any hope in case he was wrong, as the family still had high hopes. He knew all 3 ice picks were found and a rope was cut. That's when they fell to their deaths.

Hard to imagine what Kelly went through before the end. Seeing his buddies get blown over that ledge and having to cut himself away from them as he knew there was no way to save them, then locate his cave in a whiteout, realize he needed to call his family, tried to call 911 but couldn't get through and then realizing he was very sick by Tuesday morning, and it probably took all the energy he had to turn the phone on and then off again.

God bless them all. Scandi

Ca-Sun said:
missingclimbers.jpg

Rest in Peace, Kelly, Jerry and Brian.

Ca-Sun, thank you for sharing that beautiful pic!

Hate to sound cliche but IF there's any consolation at all to this tragic outcome, it's in knowing that these highly adventurous men died doing what they truly enjoyed and loved.

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to all those who knew and loved them; and to all (here and elsewhere) who became emotionally invested in these rescue efforts.

Special thanks, prayers and blessings to all of those people who gave their all, attempting to rescue Kelly, Nikko and Brian! :blowkiss:

In this day and age of budget deficits in most cities and counties, and especially so, with the Federal Government, the money to pay for rescue services still has to come out of somebody's budget. If Peter robs Paul to pay for the search, Paul has to cut expenses somewhere else to balance the books.

Another way to look at it, a lot of the Sheriff's office was tied up conducting this search. Who was handling their normal patrols the Sheriff is normally reponsible for during this time. Somebody had to be short-handed somewhere.

The Sheriff's office apparently estimated that the search cost them $5,000 per day. I wonder how much this earch cost others??

Which county is Sheriff Wampler the sheriff of??

Liz said:
Ca-Sun, thank you for sharing that beautiful pic!

Hate to sound cliche but IF there's any consolation at all to this tragic outcome, it's in knowing that these highly adventurous men died doing what they truly enjoyed and loved.

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to all those who knew and loved them; and to all (here and elsewhere) who became emotionally invested in these rescue efforts.

Special thanks, prayers and blessings to all of those people who gave their all, attempting to rescue Kelly, Nikko and Brian! :blowkiss:
what a very nice post Liz--

Buzzm1 said:
In this day and age of budget deficits in most cities and counties, and especially so, with the Federal Government, the money to pay for rescue services still has to come out of somebody's budget. If Peter robs Paul to pay for the search, Paul has to cut expenses somewhere else to balance the books.

Another way to look at it, a lot of the Sheriff's office was tied up conducting this search. Who was handling their normal patrols the Sheriff is normally reponsible for during this time. Somebody had to be short-handed somewhere.

The Sheriff's office apparently estimated that the search cost them $5,000 per day. I wonder how much this earch cost others??

Which county is Sheriff Wampler the sheriff of??
no disrespect- but Buzz--- if it was your wife, sister, or any other family member they were searching for- would you have posted the same thing?
More than that it my own mind--- look at what is being spent on death row inmates, or iraq or a million other ridiculous things i could list right here in the states -- my opinion---

j2mirish said:
no disrespect- but Buzz--- if it was your wife, sister, or any other family member they were searching for- would you have posted the same thing?
More than that it my own mind--- look at what is being spent on death row inmates, or iraq or a million other ridiculous things i could list right here in the states -- my opinion---
j2mirish, I am just trying to make the point that budgets being what they are today, the money for the search had to be paid by someone's budget. Even $5,000 a day probably feeds 1250 poor people a day, or provides needed medical care to 100 others, or keeps 50 dangerous prisoners locked up for the day. We have to decide what is more important.

GWB said it will help pay for part of our larger army too.

scandi said:
Well, that certainly was disappointing this afternoon, In the presser the Sheriff said from the piper cub they had spotted an area where the snow was yellow. Turns out it was rocks below the snow or ice, so they had nothing to warrant another search this afternoon with the weather coming in.

I just heard on FOX that acc to the autiopsy, Kelly James had no disabling injuries and that he died from hypothermia. Now we know what happened, and I think that with no insulated coat and not sleeping in a bag, hypothermia set in quite quickly for him. Jerry and Brian must have fallen to their deaths as the Sheriff has said.

With no disabling injuries, I don't think Kelly was left by the other 2 to go get help. The only reason you would ever split up is if it is a life or death matter. I don't think his hypothermia was, and if it was, he could still be rescued by a helicopter if they had called 911 which they never did. Now I'm thinking the 3 spent Fri night in their 3 man cave and Sat morn set off to go back down the mtn.

They got the the spot right above the Gullies where the Y anchor was to that old shack was on the ledge, now gone, hollowed out a shelter by that big rock to get out of the nasty weather for a bit and then set their webbing for an anchor to scale or drop down that almost vertical cliff to go down Eliot Glacier. I think Kelly had already dislocated his shoulder which would be painful so he waited up on the ledge. They finished that anchor and walked back up to the ledge to get Kelly and tied up together. Standing ready to go down I think either the first in line slipped or was caught by the wind and went over the cliff with the second man following him. I think Kelly was the last man tied, and to survive, had to cut the rope so he wouldn't go over as well.

Then I think he walked over to that big rock and up that slope to the snow behind where the footprints are. I see one set of tracks that look like they are leaving the area. And I think he went back towards the cave, weak, in a state of shock having realized his buddies just fell to their deaths in the blizzard, and when he thought he was close to the cave, with white out conditions and hypothermia setting in, walked around in a circle to get his bearings till he found the cave and went in. By that time it was probably into the evening time, and he was not feeling very good and was so stunned at what had happened, so he laid down on his pack {which he was found with acc to the guy who found him at CC}.

If he slept at all with the howling wind, it would have been daylight when he awoke and then he called home, talked to his son, then his wife called him back and the Sheriff told her to have him turn of his cell which he did.

I think he lasted till early Tues morn when he turned his cell on and then off right away to give a signal to his family he would be gone very soon. Very sad the turn of events, but it does explain why his were the only tools they found except the ice picks planted in the ice where they went over or set the anchor, why nothing of Jerry and Brian's was found except their ice picks and why the rope was cut. I think the Sheriff was trying to tell us these things but didn't want rule out any hope in case he was wrong, as the family still had high hopes. He knew all 3 ice picks were found and a rope was cut. That's when they fell to their deaths.

Hard to imagine what Kelly went through before the end. Seeing his buddies get blown over that ledge and having to cut himself away from them as he knew there was no way to save them, then locate his cave in a whiteout, realize he needed to call his family, tried to call 911 but couldn't get through and then realizing he was very sick by Tuesday morning, and it probably took all the energy he had to turn the phone on and then off again.

God bless them all. Scandi
Scandi, You're probably right with this summation, Oh God how terrible. God bless their souls. RIP

This is a good interview with Sheriff Wampler. I feel for him too. What a horrendous experience for all the SAR team... Video: Search for climbers ends*

Scandi, I too think you're close w/ this summation. I guess I just question why Kelly didn't call 911 if he saw his buddies fall to their death? Maybe w/ the upcoming storm, he saw no way of rescue?

Buzzm1 said:
j2mirish, I am just trying to make the point that budgets being what they are today, the money for the search had to be paid by someone's budget. Even $5,000 a day probably feeds 1250 poor people a day, or provides need medical care to 100 others, or keeps 50 dangerous prisoners locked up for the day. We have to decide what is more important.

GWB said it will help pay for part of our larger army too.
oh my--- why did you have to bring gwb into this --. LOLOL--

I know where you usually come from,, and I dont usually disagee with you-
I just thought the rescue team looking for these folks, as futal as it probably is-- didnt need the cost brought into it--- thats all--
I know all the other thoughts on money spent, and that is why brought up some of the things i did that I do not think we need to spend money on----but we do---over and over and over and over and over again-- with no outcome$$$$$$

j2mirish said:
oh my--- why did you have to bring gwb into this --. LOLOL--

I know where you usually come from,, and I dont usually disagee with you-
I just thought the rescue team looking for these folks, as futal as it probably is-- didnt need the cost brought into it--- thats all--
I know all the other thoughts on money spent, and that is why brought up some of the things i did that I do not think we need to spend money on----but we do---over and over and over and over and over again-- with no outcome$$$$$$
J2 Have you not noticed everything is politics.The main thing is these guys died doing what they loved.And guess what the cost is no as much as we have heard. These were volunteers with vaction days to do this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valafares
Back