Found Deceased OR - Kendra Hanks, 18, walking from work along Hwy 42 towards Winston, Douglas Co, 7 Jul 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why would this bookstore clerk be dead?

She was walking home from work, as she did every day, but that day was different? She apparently unwillingly vanished. Was it someone she met at the book store, or near her mother's place of work? Was it someone she'd seen before, or someone that she did not see but who saw her (Naomi Irion)?
We have no confirmation she is dead.

Unless I have missed something in this thread, this is the only body found and it wasn't "yesterday".

On Wednesday around 3:30 p.m. the sheriff’s office got a call about a deceased person at the 9000 block of cow Creek Road.

SOURCE:

BBM

Let's look at a timeline:
July 7 - Last seen

"She was last seen on Thursday, July 7, 2022, at approximately 3:30pm walking along Highway 42 toward Winston from her place of employment on Ingram Drive."
The Sheriff's Office is seeking #PublicAssistance in locating #missingperson 18 year-old Kendra Marie Hanks.

She was last seen on Thursday, July 7, 2022, at approximately 3:30pm walking along Highway 42 toward Winston from her place of employment on Ingram Drive. She was last known to be wearing a dark blue tie-dye hoodie, jeans, yellow checkered Vans shoes and carrying a black backpack purse.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Douglas County Sheriff's Office at (541) 440-4471 referencing Case #22-2871 or by emailing dcso.pio@co.douglas.or.us

293017395_434845885354645_6773195224940095615_n.jpg

July 12 - Video requested by LE
"Investigators are now asking business owners and residents in the area of Highway 99, Pepsi Road, SE Main Street, NW Lookingglass Road and Brosi Orchard to check their security cameras which may have captured footage of Kendra on Thursday. The timeframe of interest is 3:45pm-7:00pm on Thursday, July 7, 2022."
ROSEBERG Ore. (KPTV) - Police on Tuesday were asking for the public’s help to find a missing woman from Winston, Oregon.

Kendra Hanks was last seen walking past B&D Meats towards Winston on Highway 99 near Grange Road in the Green District around 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 7, 2022. Investigators are now asking business owners and residents in the area of Highway 99, Pepsi Road, SE Main Street, NW Lookingglass Road and Brosi Orchard to check their security cameras which may have captured footage of Kendra on Thursday. The timeframe of interest is 3:45pm-7:00pm on Thursday, July 7, 2022.

“Any video footage is helpful, even if you don’t believe your system captured anything of significance,” Lt. Brad O’Dell said. “We ask that the community provide the footage and allow investigators the opportunity to review it.”

July 13 - UID body of female found
"Around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday (July 13), the Sheriff's Office was notified of a deceased person found in Cow Creek in approximately the 9000-block of Cow Creek Road."

So if Kendra was last seen near B&D Meats - 9000 Cow Creek Road is 34 miles away. Pretty isolated area, but there is what looks to be a small farm/house nearby.

Kendra was last seen walking past B&D Meats towards Winston on Highway 99 near Grange Road in the Green District at approximately 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 7, 2022. Investigators are now asking business owners and residents in the area of Highway 99, Pepsi Road, SE Main Street, NW Lookingglass Road and Brosi Orchard to check their security cameras which may have captured footage of Kendra on Thursday. The timeframe of interest is 3:45pm-7:00pm on Thursday, July 7, 2022.

Kendra had already walked 2.2 miles by the time she reached the *last seen location of B&D Meats*. The Love's gas station wouldn't make sense, but I see your logic WOT. The surveillance video LE is asking for are all South of Hwy 99/Grange Rd.

Last edited:
I'm still looking at arrest records, just in case something interesting pops up. There was an arrest today, agency is Cow Creek Police Department. Had to look that one up ... CCPD is a Tribal Agency in Canyonville. For a minute I was like wait, what? That tiny area has it's own PD?

I can't get anything to show up. Can you screenshot the terms you used to see the list of arrests? I have % for both name fields and entered a booking date of 7/15/22.

I can't get anything to show up. Can you screenshot the terms you used to see the list of arrests? I have % for both name fields and entered a booking date of 7/15/22.
You can set the booking from date as 7/15 and then booking to date to 7/17 -- just leave all of the other fields blank.

I see multiple people booked today... none of the ones I looked at had anything listed as charges that seemed like it would be connected though... there's one that has unlawful use of a weapon... MAYBE related??

Oh my, I googled that person's name and found they've been previously in prison for murder in Oregon. SJH initials for anyone looking, being held without bail. Not sure if it's allowed to link to the MSM article since this person is not a POI or suspect in this case. It's literally the first result on Google if you Google their full name though.

Last edited:
I find it very strange that it's been 5 days and they haven't identified the body found yet.
Right? I hope efforts have continued to find Kendra since LE has not issued a public update or ID'd the body.

Maybe they are waiting on another LE agency or coroner results are delayed for some reason? Two of the five days were the weekend.

The community seems very interested in getting answers so maybe things will change tomorrow.

MOO

I find it very strange that it's been 5 days and they haven't identified the body found yet.
Me too, until I read this. Circa 2018, but still ...

“Put it this way, if you die in a hospital under a doctor’s care then the doctor is going to sign your death certificate. If you die in a hospice where the doctor said ‘yeah you’re going to die’ the doctor is going to sign your death certificate.

Everybody else goes through this office,” Kinney said. “Every accident, every homicide, every suicide, every child death, every drowning, every car crash victim, every little old lady, every little old grandpa that wakes up dead, is what I like to say, every single one of those people that die at home are all reviewed by my office.”

Last year, Kinney reviewed 470 cases, the year before that he reviewed 419.

This year he said he’s on pace to exceed 400 investigations again.

“We put all of this investigative stuff together. Before we ever even call the pathologist, we’ve already done a large part of the investigation,” Kinney said.

Once he’s done with the leg work, he calls the State Medical Examiner’s office in Portland, gives them the information he’s gathered and they determine if the body needs an autopsy.

If they do, Kinney makes the three-hour trip north for the procedure and then brings the deceased back to a Douglas County mortuary.

Me too, until I read this. Circa 2018, but still ...

“Put it this way, if you die in a hospital under a doctor’s care then the doctor is going to sign your death certificate. If you die in a hospice where the doctor said ‘yeah you’re going to die’ the doctor is going to sign your death certificate.

Everybody else goes through this office,” Kinney said. “Every accident, every homicide, every suicide, every child death, every drowning, every car crash victim, every little old lady, every little old grandpa that wakes up dead, is what I like to say, every single one of those people that die at home are all reviewed by my office.”

Last year, Kinney reviewed 470 cases, the year before that he reviewed 419.

This year he said he’s on pace to exceed 400 investigations again.

“We put all of this investigative stuff together. Before we ever even call the pathologist, we’ve already done a large part of the investigation,” Kinney said.

Once he’s done with the leg work, he calls the State Medical Examiner’s office in Portland, gives them the information he’s gathered and they determine if the body needs an autopsy.

If they do, Kinney makes the three-hour trip north for the procedure and then brings the deceased back to a Douglas County mortuary.

This is definitely helpful info to know. Thanks for sharing it!

There are likely more reasons as to why it's taking so long. But the process I linked seems a bit convoluted in comparison with larger metro areas. Hoping for news soon, my imagination is coming up with ideas on what the delays may be.

July 20, 2022

Douglas County Sheriff's Office renews plea for information, video to find Kendra Hanks
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is once again asking the public for information and video footage that may help them locate Kendra Hanks, missing since July 8.
The sheriff's office states that in order to protect the integrity of the investigation, additional details will not be made public at this time.

July 20, 2022

Douglas County Sheriff's Office renews plea for information, video to find Kendra Hanks
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is once again asking the public for information and video footage that may help them locate Kendra Hanks, missing since July 8.
The sheriff's office states that in order to protect the integrity of the investigation, additional details will not be made public at this time.
Interesting, if they are looking to "find" her, does that imply that the jane doe they found isn't likely to be her?

Interesting, if they are looking to "find" her, does that imply that the jane doe they found isn't likely to be her?

It seems like typical LE speak. It reminds of the Jelani "JJ" Day case. LE recovered a UID from the river near where he was last seen, 11 days later. At the time, authorities said that it was "separate" from JJ''s case and the family said they were told to not assume it was Day's. It took some six weeks before they positively ID'd it as Day's.

I went back to review what the coverage looked like. Some 3-4 days after, they did announce that the UID was male. Day's body was in...pretty bad shape...even the medical examiner that the family hired said he could not even tell the race or whether the UID was male/female.

Anyway, what I'm saying, I guess, is to keep a completely open mind, this UID may be her, or it may not be her. IMO I think it's more likely than not that it is Kendra, but again, open mind.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office - OR Evidence Submission Portal​

Kendra Hanks - Community Surveillance: 22-2871​

Report Filed:7/7/2022 3:30 PM
ADDRESSHighway 99 near Grange Road
Grange S Rd, Roseburg, OR, 97471, USADESCRIPTION
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office is attempting to locate 18-year-old Kendra Hanks of Winston. Kendra was reportedly last seen Thursday, 7/7/2022, at approximately 4:00pm walking along Highway 42 toward Winston. Kendra was last seen wearing a dark blue tie-dye hoodie, jeans, yellow checkered Vans shoes, and carrying a black backpack purse.

The Sheriff's Office is asking members of the community along the route to check any surveillance footage between 4:00pm-7:00 pm for Kendra or any other pedestrians and upload them to this site.
SUBMIT EVIDENCE

I'm not sure what to think about the renewed request. More than likely, they are looking for vehicles which will be found on video in the area she was walking. Maybe they already have someone in the cross-hairs and are looking to tie it all together. The way family is posting online, IMO- is indicative LE has told them something. Holding back on the official ID makes sense with this context.

I had hoped there would be new information by now. I had a question and kept forgetting to ask: Does Kendra have brown hair currently or is her hair the bright red/pink color from the other picture? If it's red/pink it should make it easier for identification. If not then I get why it's taking a while. I hope it's not her but that means someone else lost their life and that is terribly sad. She is so young. I am sending every bit of positive energy and juju in to the universe hoping for a happy ending to this story. Where are you Kendra?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo8877
Back