OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh goodness October,he could have went out that door and went out on the playground right next to the road.

from this link

Shults also said he asked family members to maintain normal activities -- such as grocery shopping or going to the gym -- to help maintain their mental and physical health.
"Once we determined that this search could take some time, it was discussed what that really meant to them and how long this could be, knowing that the stress was going to be overwhelming and it could be important to keep their minds and bodies healthy," Shults said.
"We need them to help us bring Kyron home."

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/post_109.html

Just some observations, as I drove past Kyron's school late this afternoon...

Thank you for your thoughtful post... While I read it I felt like I was there and could see all the rescuers, buildings, terrain, etc...

Well,in Kyron's case,it will be interesting to see how this is going to go.We'll be hearing more from the school,teacher and parents on this at a later time.

I used to volunteer in the school,why I decided to homeschool.Many good teachers,just 40 students to a class was more than is possible to teach.Drugs,gangs,thefts,kids hurt all the time,no way.Teachers have to buy all thier stuff and aren't paid enough.Plus many of the kids have behavioral problems,which teachers have to spend too much time trying to keep control of them.I do have teacher friends,so I understand.But,I'm not sending my kids to be hurt or die.If I lived in a place with good schools,I'd have sent them in a heartbeat.

Our schools aren't that bad yet (knock on wood). I spent over $1000 a year buying stuff for my classroom every year. Not because I had to, but because it made life for the children better, I felt. I think most teachers spend at least that much, unless they are in a rich school and the PTA gives a lot of money.

With things like this happening and the school shootings and whatever else happens at schools, I am afraid for my own grandchildren.

I still feel that this country doesn't value children.

I had a mother from Mexico (legal, I think), that had to quit school in 8th grade because the father left the mother and mother couldn't provide money for the school uniform and the transportation.

I would hate to see this happen here, where only the rich can afford to send their children to school.

Without taxpayer support, I fear for our schools and consequently for us. As I say, these children are our future caregivers and taxpayers. I want them all to have the best education possible so that they can get good jobs and come up with great ideas.

But I hear you loud and clear about not wanting to send your child to school to die or to get hurt.

pufnstuf
I thought about this today,was out in the rain,just running to the car and thought of him out in the weather,no food,rain cools it down. :(

Ethan was in the news alot, and Kyron resembles him somewhat.
What if it triggered a - rescue response - in some eccentric local character, or some one who has lost a child to CPS or violence?
Or it could be aliens they sure would'nt publisize that IMO MOO

Even though LE won't say so, I think that we're already seeing Search and Recovery. Can't remember who it was, maybe PDX?, who posted info on how long an adult can last without water. Even with a quart of clean drinking water, and adult can only last 10 days. Adults have much more water to deplete themselves of.

This kids was tiny. Five pounds loss would put him into major dehydration--with severe impact on his organs.

Portland has also seen rain and cool nights. Hypothermia can develop easily in that situation, especially in a dehydrated child. Look at the photos of the searchers in this article. They're in long sleeves in the sunlight.

I'm not even going to talk about the predators that inhabit that area.

Then there's the fact that the rotor chief said at the presser that they're not using infrared or thermal sensors anymore. That was two days ago.

Considering the geographic focus--all within five-ten miles of the school, I think that searchers are looking for a body.

Like pensfan said earlier, there is a statistical correlation between the age of the victim and the dump site. Distance increases as victims become older. A five year old will usually be found pretty close to the place from which he/she was abducted. A 15 year old may be found a greater distance away.

Knowing this, and fitting it into the geographical spread of the search area, my guess is that whoever did this also lives near or within that search area. That's the only explanation that fits. Unless Kyron walked off on his own--and I just don't think that's so.

JMO

I agree with you... I think it's a recovery mission at this point :( The early days Kyron was missing were stormy and wet, although not terribly cold. But! The more wet and ragged, the chance of hypothermia sets in. I think they are looking for a body, but have no clue where. I've always wondered about the water... perfect place, the Columbia, to dump a body to never be found again... :(

Very few of these old Portland schools have elevators. I bet they are grandfathered in. The cost to retrofit all the old schools with elevators would be prohibitive.

We had to have them put into our ancient schools because of special needs children. Even up to the third floor and down to the basement level.

glitering_sign.gif
Teenie

Wow, I was having empathy sickness with you as I read your story. Thank you for sharing such a poignant memory. I have a strong opinion regarding several of the things which you experienced and best hold my tongue for now. Great first post and glad to have you on board despite the disturbing circumstances.

But one thing is for sure, this story really hit home for me. The similarities are uncanny. Friday afternoon, doesn't come home on the bus, 7 year old, second grade boy. Also, our school although only K-6 is about the same size in total number of students as Skyline. I just wish I could do something, anything to help find Kyron. Come home sweet baby!!

How scary for you! I'm so glad you're child was safe!

My daughter's elementary school (Pre-K through 5th) had an incident last fall where a Pre-K student, 4 yrs old, left the building while supposedly in the bathroom, went through the playground, and was walking near the road when a driver stopped to "investigate." Luckily for this kid, and his family, she took him to the office ... but what IF?!

And we are in a "rural" area of a "metro" school district. The ONLY thing I see that our school has that Skyline doesn't is cameras. But like Skyline, our school doesn't do the "Scan" of visitors on busy days. You merely write your name on the sign-in sheet.

Praying for Kyron!!

Based on the scenery out the window and the shape of the window, I believe that Kyron's classroom is where the #1 is in this picture. I also believe that the door at the bottom of the stairs is the unsecured exit. You can see the door and the window directly above it.

schoolresized.jpg

Then it appears that it does not go out to the parking lot, which is kind of good news.

It gives me hope that if he went out that way, someone saw something.

Ugh. My girls start kindergarten in the fall, and I'm not feeling comfortable about this now... :(

PK...now kgw.com changed from "abducted" to "vanished" for their headline of story...I had e-mailed them about it but they did not reply...

I agree with you... I think it's a recovery mission at this point :( The early days Kyron was missing were stormy and wet, although not terribly cold. But! The more wet and ragged, the chance of hypothermia sets in. I think they are looking for a body, but have no clue where. I've always wondered about the water... perfect place, the Columbia, to dump a body to never be found again... :(

I think they have a clue... everything seems to be moving north from the school toward Sauvie Island.

Women usually dump in water, don't they?

Statistics would say that someone close to the child did this, and if a woman, the child would be found in the water. I think men more frequently discard wherever is convenient.

Sick to think about, isn't it?

Just some observations, as I drove past Kyron's school late this afternoon.

A lot of vehicles parked at the firestation, just down the road from the school and more police, search & rescue vehicles, along with KOIN news van parked across from the school, by the church. The school's notice board reads: 'June 11 School Spirit Day. We thank you all for your support'

More sheriff and search & rescue cars along the road to the quarry, which had an officer parked, blocking the entrance. The grange hall, ~ a mile east has a sign up saying: Private Property - No media, no press.

At the small store on Cornelius Pass Road and Skyline, there were several men who looked like they were taking a break. Wearing 'Deschutes County Search & Rescue' vests along with heavy clothing and boots. While I was in the store more searchers stopped there as well.

There are large 'banners' with Kyron's picture, printed with (I believe they said) 'Please help find Kyron' - noticed one when entering Hwy. 26 in Hillsboro and another next to the 'entering Portland' sign.

All the police/searchers looked very grim, as would be expected of course.

I know just how rural this area is, but when you look at it thinking Kyron could be lost or injured out there, it strikes you just how much territory there is to search and how difficult it must be. Seeing the signs just made me feel more frustrated as we all want to help but not much we can actually do.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to Kyron's family. How horrible it must be, day after day, not knowing where he is or what may have happened to him. Your imagination would be such a torment.

Thank you for taking the time to share your 'local' experience with all of us - your descriptions are so realistic, I felt like I was there with you seeing all the exhausted searchers. Hugs to all those who are working night and day and through the weekends to find this young child. :hug:

Very few of these old Portland schools have elevators. I bet they are grandfathered in. The cost to retrofit all the old schools with elevators would be prohibitive.

Curious... how do they move special needs children up and down stairs, or do they not do inclusion?

I guess children with special needs--classes can be moved downstairs or rearranged for that.

We're fortunate here to have mostly one-storey schools.

I have another take on it myself. I think this was the perfect day for someone to snap up a child from the school. Full of people not typically there, no apparent check in system for visitors and so things were not as they usually are. IMO, this is a day when someone that may not usually be in a school, was in the school and the opportunity presented itself.
OTOH, it may have been someone that is in the school frequently and knew that things were not as they should be and took advantage of that.

Most likely because of the countless, totally senseless cases I have followed for many years I find these both to be entirely possible and this was potentially a crime of the moment with no planning.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I keep going back to Day One and trying to flowchart this bugger, and recall one of the very first things I heard on the news, which is about the "science fair" going on and that the school could not use their normal security measures of signing people in and out because so many people were coming and going.

Screams crime of opportunity as that was most definitely not business as usual for a school. Maybe somebody who lives in that general area, or somebody from outside (or very recently moved there) who had been scoping the neighborhood, which might explain why LE is now asking for video from any business in that fairly large area, and starting with the day BEFORE Kyron went missing.

Perhaps to look for vehicles that were doing something out of the norm, like slowly dramatically or stopping near parks, playgrounds, schools or any place children are likely to frequent. Or to "follow" delivery route drivers to see who might be coming and going past Skyline Elementary around that time on a weekday morning. Perhaps to look for the mysterious white vehicle which neighbors claim they saw twice just previous to Kyron's disappearance.

Or it was somebody inside that school, whether an employee or an older student or students who could have lured Kyron away. If the latter is the case, I don't believe he will be found very far from the school. But if an outside person took him, he could be anywhere.

From the get go, his parents were all clear he is not the type to wander off, yet LE and SAR are beating the bushes primarily between the school and his home because they still have to treat that as a possibility lacking any clear evidence (eyewitness or video sighting) of an abduction.

That is also why the FBI has Kyron at least temporarily top and center on the jumping off "most wanted" page. If LE believes there is a chance he wandered off, time is VERY clearly of the essence for him, and running out quickly, unlike the other missing kids/adults whose circumstances are different. Not every one can have the top spot at the same time. They "might" be able to successfully recover this one.

If his LE stepdad has used his knowledge of the inner workings to keep this in the media and LE all over this, I surely cannot blame him. If I had a missing child and were in his shoes, I would make use of every avenue available to me and NOT take "no" for an answer.

I was in Portland Wed-Fri and I have to say I was duly impressed with the level of media coverage and just how many people and agencies were there out searching in some pretty miserable conditions, and had been at that search already for several days. Bless their souls, I hope they are successful and find Kyron, but I fear he did not come to a good end, and if taken away in a vehicle, won't likely be found within a dozen miles of the school unless it was by someone very, VERY comfortable with that area.

If the unthinkable has happened, I really hope the perp is sweating bullets about now watching a large and concerted professional search effort.

All that said, there is still a chance that because of bullying or some other "force" he left the school under his own steam and fairly quickly found himself a very lost, alone and scared little boy in what is very dense forestation/brush, and not far at all from the school.

At this juncture, I can't see any of his family being involved. Four very wrecked parents, perhaps with some unique dynamics going on amongst them, but I see nothing thus far that suggests there is a killer there, and appearances from LE that they do not believe so either.

Why they refuse to say who last saw Kyron is the thing that continues to bother me and make little sense, but I surmise it was perhaps a juvenile, and/or they felt they needed to protect this person from likely harassment. Otherwise they would have no reason to be "searching" for a live Kyron rather than "recovering" him if they believed the person who last saw him has brought him to harm.

My :twocents:

Bouncing off the posts about the perp having to realize that they may not have had much lead time....this is great new thinking to me - thank you for bringing it up.

I would think this helps SM. After all - she would have to expect that too - probably more than anyone.
For all she would have known - the school could have rung her cell in no time wondering where Kyron was. She would have been expected to high tail it back there.

Same for another older student from the school. They would have expected that Kyron would be missed right away - and searched for. I don't think they would risk it.

The school didn't have an absence notification policy. No one was going to be called. Someone familiar with the school would know that: employee, volunteer, parent, student. So, no, nobody was going to be calling anyone's cell for a head's-up about an absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susielarios