GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Friday, Feb. 5th:
*Further Proceedings Hearing (@ 3pm PT) - OR – Mark Jeffrey Dribin (42) (last seen July 3, 1999, Portland, reported missing July 6, 1999; has not been found) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (32 @ time of crime/52) indicted (4/30/20), arrested (5/4/20 by U.S. Marshalls), charged (5/4/20) & arraigned (5/5/20) with 2nd degree murder.
Forensic Genetic Genealogy match
Trial set to begin on 2/28/22 (at 9am) 12-person jury.

Court info from 5/5/20 thru 7/14/20 reference post #405 here:
OR - OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *ARREST*

7/24/20 Update: Trial has been set to begin on 2/28/22 with a 12-person jury. Next further proceedings – special panel on 12/14/20. 12/14/20 Update: Further proceedings hearing continued to pick motions dates on 2/5/21.

Okay, so I waited an hour to see what I could gleam of today's hearing from the court site. Looks like it was a conference call. The only other entries are an order to appear for today (maybe that means that Lovrien was required to be present?) and another hearing on the books for March 16th 2pm PST for further proceedings. Stay tuned, same time, same bat channel. I'll let you know if I talk to Kenny later and gather anything more.

I just heard on the end of a 48 Hours on ID program that no-body murder cases have an 86% rate of conviction, stronger than cases with bodies- 70% with a body. Only the strongest no-body cases make it to trial.
Last night on a Snapped program, they re-affirmed this fact, except that the conviction rate was even higher at 88%! That gives me great hope that they have some strong evidence on Lovrien.

Hey guys, I have some updates "teasers" of sorts regarding Lovrien that Ken received from the detective, but I've waited a few days on posting. In the last couple of days they held a Grand Jury hearing on him in Portland. This may be on other charges, we don't know the focus, and middle of next week- Weds. or Thurs the D.A. will be holding a press conference. That's all I know at this time, but stay tuned. Something is happening. In addition, another hearing for his trial on the charges for Mark will be on March 16th. Still on the books.

@LinasK I have followed this for so long but haven't checked in here for quite a while - I am so glad there was an arrest!! My heart goes out to your family.
From the link (posted below):
Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt said Wednesday a grand jury indicted 53-year-old Christopher Lovrien with the homicides of Mark Dribin and Kenneth Griffin.
LINK: Portland murder suspect charged in 2nd slaying, dismemberment | KOIN.com

They don't think he knew either victim and that he may have killed more people. This is just so sad.

@LinasK I have followed this for so long but haven't checked in here for quite a while - I am so glad there was an arrest!! My heart goes out to your family.
Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt said Wednesday a grand jury indicted 53-year-old Christopher Lovrien with the homicides of Mark Dribin and Kenneth Griffin.

They don't think he knew either victim and that he may have killed more people. This is just so sad.

I just saw this in the online Oregonian...more sadness.:(

Police arrested Christopher Lovrien last May after identifying him as a suspect in the killing of Mark Dribin, who was last seen alive in 1999 and whose remains have not yet been found. Lovrien is also accused of killing Kenneth Griffin, whose remains were found in Lovrien’s shed after his arrest.
In February 2020, a few months after Lovrien was identified as a suspect in Dribin’s death, police received reports that another man, Kenneth Griffin, had gone missing.

In April, officers got a search warrant for a sample of Lovrien’s DNA and issued an arrest warrant for him in Dribin’s death.

About two weeks after Lovrien’s May arrest, police searched his home and shed. They found Lovrien’s remains inside the shed, the district attorney’s office.

Lovrien, 53, is facing two counts of second-degree murder, one count of abuse of a corpse, and six counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office said Wednesday that prosecutors believe Lovrien may have killed or attempted to kill additional people, based on evidence found at his home.

Prosecutors said they believe the killings of Dribin and Griffin were random and that they have not been able to find a connection between Lovrien and either victim.

Portland man charged in 2 cold case homicides; more victims suspected

Since I can not access the Oregon court system any longer... :oops: I was wondering if someone reading here could look up & see IF Lovrein has a court case # for Griffin's murder? And maybe a court date yet. Might be a bit too soon as it was only yesterday on the charges.

TIA if someone case find something.

I have Lovrein's next hearing for Mark on 3/16/21.

Thank you so much for the news. I hadn't heard any word yet, which is why I hadn't posted. I did suspect that there was another killing, because on the day that they arrested him for Mark's murder, they were looking in his backyard. I will make sure that I talk to Ken this evening and that he knows the news.

Thank you so much for the news. I hadn't heard any word yet, which is why I hadn't posted. I did suspect that there was another killing, because on the day that they arrested him for Mark's murder, they were looking in his backyard. I will make sure that I talk to Ken this evening and that he knows the news.

What a heart-wrenching time this must be for your family. At least Lovrien's horrible deeds are at long last coming to light. Thanks to dogged investigation he couldn't hide forever.

Since I can not access the Oregon court system any longer... :oops: I was wondering if someone reading here could look up & see IF Lovrein has a court case # for Griffin's murder? And maybe a court date yet. Might be a bit too soon as it was only yesterday on the charges.

TIA if someone case find something.

I have Lovrein's next hearing for Mark on 3/16/21.
Okay, having some slight Internet issues/back pain, but I just got a motherlode of information from the Judicial website: Lovrien was re-indicted today, and it looks like he has plead not guilty on all charges. Different judge. I will try to do some cutting and pasting here in a minute. It's under the same former case number so far...

• 03/10/2021 Judgment - General Dismissal

Judicial Officer
    Albrecht, Cheryl A.

Comment
    of Indictment dated: 4/30/20

• 03/10/2021 Indictment

Comment
    RE-INDICTMENT

• 03/11/2021 Arraignment

Judicial Officer
    Lucero, Angela F.
    • Hearing Time
      9:45 AM

Result
      Held

Comment
      RE-INDICTED

Parties Present
      Defendant: Lovrien, Christopher Charles

Court Appointed: CALHOUN, JOE

• 03/11/2021 Warrant - Return of Service

• 03/11/2021 Arraignment
      • Judicial Officer
        Lucero, Angela F.

• 03/16/2021 Hearing - Further Proceedings

Judicial Officer(s)
        Ramras, Christopher, Ramras, Christopher

Hearing Time
        02:00 PM
      • Charge
        Charges
        Lovrien, Christopher Charles
        Description Statute Level Date

1 Murder in the Second Degree 163.115 Felony Unclassified 07/03/1999

2 Murder in the Second Degree 163.115 Felony Unclassified 02/01/2020

3 Abuse of Corpse in the First Degree 166.087 Felony Class B 02/01/2020

4 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

5 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

6 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

7 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

8 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

9 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

03/11/2021 Plea

Judicial Officer
        Lucero, Angela F.

Murder in the Second Degree
        Not Guilty
        Abuse of Corpse in the First Degree
        Not Guilty
        Felon in Possession of a Firearm
        Not Guilty
        Not Guilty
        Not Guilty
        Not Guilty
        Not Guilty
        Not Guilty

I'm going to go ahead & post this - just to keep stuff up to date.

Thursday, March 11th:
*Arraignment Hearing (for Griffin case) (@ 9:45am PT) - OR – Mark Jeffrey Dribin (42) (last seen July 3, 1999, Portland, reported missing July 6, 1999; has not been found) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (32 @ time of crime/52) indicted (4/30/20), arrested (5/4/20 by U.S. Marshalls), charged (5/4/20) & arraigned (5/5/20) with 2nd degree murder.
Forensic Genetic Genealogy match.
Trial set to begin on 2/28/22 (at 9am) 12-person jury.

Court info from 5/5/20 thru 7/14/20 reference post #405 here:
Still Missing - OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *ARREST*

7/24/20 Update: Trial has been set to begin on 2/28/22 with a 12-person jury. Next further proceedings – special panel on 12/14/20. 12/14/20 Update: Further proceedings hearing continued to pick motions dates on 2/5/21. 2/5/21 Update: was a conference call. The only other entries are an order to appear for today & next hearing further proceedings on 3/16/21. 3/2/21: Grand Jury held hearing on Lovrien case.

*OR – Kenneth Lee Griffin (53) (last seen Feb. 1, 2020 & reported missing on Feb. 2, 2020, Portland, found May 19, 2020 in Lovrien’s shed) - *Charged (3/10/21), indicted & arraigned (3/11/21) with 2nd degree murder, abuse of a corpse & 6 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty.
3/10/21 Update: Multnomah County DA Mike Schmidt said Wednesday a grand jury indicted Lovrien with the homicides of Dribin & Kenneth Lee Griffin, 53. On May 19, 2020 detectives searched Lovrien’s shed & discovered Griffin’s dismembered remains, according to court documents. Griffin was last seen on Feb. 1, 2020 & reported as missing the following day. The re-indictment on Wednesday charges Lovrien with 2 counts of 2nd degree murder, abuse of a corpse & 6 counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Arraignment hearing on 3/11/21. Plead not guilty. Next further proceedings hearing on 3/16/21.

I just spoke to Ken, and it's a shock to him. In re-reading the articles though I got one thing wrong. Griffin is a relatively recent murder- he had only been missing for 3 months, not for years in his shed like I thought. I had misread 2020 as 2000.

From this article: Investigators said they don’t believe Lovrien knew either of his victims. They think he may have killed more people based on evidence reportedly found at his home.

“We have evidence there they may be additional victims — how many and from when and where are some things we can’t get into. But yeah, more than the two we know about,” said PPB Cold Case Homicide Detective Brendan McGuire.

Anyone with information about missing persons who may have been living under the I-205 bridge in Southeast Portland between the summer of 2019 and May 2020 and had contact with Lovrien is asked to contact Portland Police Detective Brendan McGuire at Brendan.McGuire@portlandoregon.gov or 503.823.0869 or PPB Detective Scott Broughton at Scott.Broughton@portlandoregon.gov or 503.823.3774.
Portland murder suspect charged in 2nd slaying, dismemberment | KOIN.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back