GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just learned something from another case that I've been following- also in Oregon- apparently Lovrien won't qualify for the Death Penalty, even though Oregon has it:

Capital crimes​

Aggravated murder is the only crime punishable by death in Oregon.[17][18][19][1] On 1 August 2019, Governor Kate Brown signed a bill that restricts the death penalty to four cases:
(1) acts of terrorism in which two or more people are killed by an organized terrorist group
(2) premeditated murders of children aged 13 or younger
(3) prison murders committed by those already incarcerated for aggravated murder
(4) premeditated murders of police or correctional officers

Also, Ken reached out to contact me last week, but nothing new to report at this time...

I just learned something from another case that I've been following- also in Oregon- apparently Lovrien won't qualify for the Death Penalty, even though Oregon has it:

Capital crimes​

Aggravated murder is the only crime punishable by death in Oregon.[17][18][19][1] On 1 August 2019, Governor Kate Brown signed a bill that restricts the death penalty to four cases:
(1) acts of terrorism in which two or more people are killed by an organized terrorist group
(2) premeditated murders of children aged 13 or younger
(3) prison murders committed by those already incarcerated for aggravated murder
(4) premeditated murders of police or correctional officers

Also, Ken reached out to contact me last week, but nothing new to report at this time...
Hopefully in both these cases the person who is held responsible won't be leaving prison in their lifetimes.
✌️

Hopefully in both these cases the person who is held responsible won't be leaving prison in their lifetimes.
✌️
Thanks, it was from your case that I just learned about that restriction, so now we know to readjust our expectations. I do know that Mark's father did want the Death Penalty, so I've let him know.

Thanks, it was from your case that I just learned about that restriction, so now we know to readjust our expectations. I do know that Mark's father did want the Death Penalty, so I've let him know.

Oregon has executed two individuals in the last half century, most recently in 1997. The state has abolished and readopted capital punishment several times throughout it history. Voters last brought the death penalty back in 1984, three years after the Oregon Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional.

Yes, Oregon has the death penalty but its use is limited. Also Governor Kate Brown commuted the sentences of all death row inmates before leaving office.

I know how difficult this can be for families who have lost a loved one. Please accept my sincere condolences and wishes for a speedy trial.
Oregon reinstated capital punishment in 1984, but the state's first execution in 34 years did not occur until September 6, 1996. At 12:16 a.m., Douglas Franklin Wright died by lethal injection in the execution room at Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem.
Brown has used her power of clemency more than any of the state's previous governors, Oregon Public Broadcasting reports. She granted clemency to nearly 1,000 people during the COVID-19 pandemic, a move that sparked legal challenges but was ultimately upheld by an Oregon appeals court.

Brown tells Morning Edition's Rachel Martin that the majority of her clemency work has been geared towards moving Oregon towards a more equitable criminal justice system — and notes that a disproportionate number of those currently on death row in the state are people of color. She says this particular action is different because it's based solely on "the immorality of the death penalty."
Brown is the third Oregon governor to commute death sentences, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. Gov. Robert Holmes commuted those imposed during his term in office from 1957-1959, and Gov. Mark Hatfield commuted all death row sentences in 1964.

Okay, so Ken just called me. The notation is because Ken and his son hired an attorney to represent their interests in the case and have a voice in what happens. It's a woman who is a former prosecutor in Portland and Salem. Unfortunately the statue of limitations passed a couple of years ago on doing a Civil Suit against him.

Monday, Dec. 11th:
*Substitution Attorney Hearing (Mark’s case) (@ 2pm PT) - OR – Mark Jeffrey Dribin (42) (last seen July 3, 1999, Portland, reported missing July 6, 1999; has not been found) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (32 @ time of crime/52/now 56) indicted (4/30/20), arrested (5/4/20 by U.S. Marshalls), charged (5/4/20) & arraigned (5/5/20) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree abuse of a corpse & 3 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Forensic Genetic Genealogy match.
*OR – Kenneth Lee Griffin (53) (last seen Feb. 1, 2020 & reported missing on Feb. 2, 2020, Portland, found May 19, 2020 in Lovrien’s shed) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (51 @ time of crime/52/now 56) charged (3/10/21), indicted (4/30/20), re-indicted (3/10/21) & arraigned (3/11/21) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree abuse of a corpse & 6 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 7/31/23. Cases have been severed.
Dribin Trial set to begin on 1/29/24. Judge Christopher Ramras presiding. Dep. DA Kirsten M. Snowden & Margaret Burgess.
Griffin Trial set to begin on 4/8/24. Judge Christopher Ramras presiding. Dep. DA Kirsten M. Snowden & Margaret Burgess.

Dribin: Court info from 5/5/20 thru 9/13/23 & Griffin: Court info from 3/16/21 thru 9/13/23 reference post #693 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...2-portland-02-july-1999-arrest.153627/page-35

9/11/23 Update: Dribin: Substitution of attorney hearing on 9/11/23 @ 4pm. Today's hearing was postponed to Wednesday, 9/13/23 @2:30pm. 9/18/23 Update: Order: Substituting attorney. Lovrien got a new court appointed Public defender named Andy Simrin (sp?) The judge did warn him about multiple attorney firings, so if it happens again there's a possibility that he's representing himself. Next further proceedings hearing (jury questionnaire) on 1/19/24 @ 9am.
10/9/23: Letter received by Judge Cheryl A. Albrecht on 10/3/23. Next motions hearing on 10/20/23 @ 1:30pm re defendant's Motion to Appoint co-counsel.
10/20/23 Update: Dribin: Hearing re defendant's Motion to appoint Co-Counsel. Present: Dep. DA Kirsten Snowden, & Dep. DA Margaret Burgess. Defendant present & his attorney court appointed Andy Simrin. From Ken: Lovrien was objecting to the new attorney Simrin because he lacks experience in murder/death penalty cases, so he wanted his partner in addition who is a guy named Goody. A guy named White was also mentioned, but I didn't catch the context. The judge initially said "no", so Lovrien threatened to fire Simrin & then the judge agreed to allow him to have a 2nd attorney- but he isn't listed on the OJD proceedings. This is his 7th attorney. New attorney Keith Goody.
10/23/23 Update: Dribin: Appointing Counsel: Keith Goody. 10/27/23 Update: Exhibit List (Election). Next further proceedings hearing on 1/19/24. 11/17/23 Update: Notice-Representation. Mark's father Ken & his son have hired their own attorney to represent their interests in the case.
11/27/23 Update: Dribin: Motion-attorney withdrawal. 12/7/23 Docket Update: Cover letter for filings. Request for discovery index. Notice of continued sub-adequate representation. Substitution of attorney hearing on 12/11/23 @ 2pm.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evil.unmasked
Back