GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just got off the phone with Ken. Learned a few new tidbits: 1) Lovrien was given a computer, so he now has access to all of the D.A.'s discovery, 2) the one paid attorney that Lovrien had was pushing for a plea deal (probably why he was fired by him), 3) Ken has stayed in touch with the detective on the case, and he doesn't believe that Lovrien will walk, (He knows what the evidence is), 4) the female judge previously threatened Lovrien that if he keeps pulling shenanigans like continually firing attorneys that she'd hold the trial without him. Ken thought that it'll be interesting to see how Lovrien picks a jury. The legal advisor has to sit behind him and is not allowed to sit with him at the defense table. So far, trial dates haven't changed on OJD. Jury questionnaire is scheduled for January 19, jury summons on January 25, and trial on January 29- all 9am. Unfortunately I may miss the chance to view tomorrow morning's hearing to throw out the DNA evidence-also scheduled for 9am PST- because my own husband has to report for jury duty then where we live, and if I don't drop him off, I won't have use of a car, so I may not make it home in time.

Thursday, January 4th:
*Motions Hearing (Mark’s case) (@ 9am PT) - OR – Mark Jeffrey Dribin (42) (last seen July 3, 1999, Portland, reported missing July 6, 1999; has not been found) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (32 @ time of crime/52/now 56) indicted (4/30/20), arrested (5/4/20 by U.S. Marshalls), charged (5/4/20) & arraigned (5/5/20) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree abuse of a corpse & 3 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty. No bond. Forensic Genetic Genealogy match.
*OR – Kenneth Lee Griffin (53) (last seen Feb. 1, 2020 & reported missing on Feb. 2, 2020, Portland, found May 19, 2020 in Lovrien’s shed) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (51 @ time of crime/52/now 56) charged (3/10/21), indicted (4/30/20), re-indicted (3/10/21) & arraigned (3/11/21) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree abuse of a corpse & 6 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 7/31/23. Cases have been severed.
Dribin Trial set to begin on 1/29/24.
Judge Christopher Ramras presiding. Dep. DA Kirsten M. Snowden & Margaret Burgess.
Griffin Trial set to begin on 4/8/24.
Judge Christopher Ramras presiding. Dep. DA Kirsten M. Snowden & Margaret Burgess.

Dribin: Court info from 5/5/20 thru 12/14/23 & Griffin: Court info from 3/16/21 thru 9/13/23 reference post #736 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...2-portland-02-july-1999-arrest.153627/page-37

12/15/23 Update: Order. 12/18/23: Motion for continuance. Motion to remove Legal Advisor. 12/21/23 Update: A new hearing scheduled on 12/27/23 @ 2pm on his motion to try to get Legal Advisor Goody removed. It'll be Judge Albrecht hearing the motion. 12/26/23 Update: Motion to change Judge. Motion for provision of legal aid resources. Affidavit-in support of Motion to remove Judge. Defendant's request for discovery index. Demurrer to Counts 1-3.
12/27/23 Update: Coming up motions hearing on 1/4/24 re defense motion to suppress DNA evidence, Further proceedings hearing 1/19/24 re jury questionnaire & further proceedings hearing on 1/25/24 re special jury panel summons.
12/28/23 Update: Defendant's motion for new legal advisor is denied. Attorney Keith Goody is to remain as legal advisor per Judge Cherly A. Albrecht.

Wow! So as fate turns out, i was able to watch this morning's hearing, and it was a bombshell. I have alot of information/notes I took, and thoughts and emotions to process and I've been in phone contact with Ken. I also have to figure out what I can and can't say legally as not to jeopardize anything. I will do a long writeup at some point today when I figure it all out. For now, the trial start date has been pushed back one week to start on February 5th, 2024 because legal advisor Goody had a trip previously planned. Lovrien's motion to get the DNA evidence excluded was denied, as was the Demurrer. And the state was granted a motion to exclude a potential witness of his unless he gives a legal notice to them of that witness appearing.

Okay, so after some reflection and discussion, although I would like to give you all very detailed notes of today's hearing, I've decided that I probably shouldn't because I don't want to prejudice a jury pool, or give him grounds for appeal should it be discovered that I post here. The hearing lasted over 11/2 hours. Some of my observations were that he comes across as very arrogant and he was disrespectful of the female judge who heard his previous motions. He referred to her in several different ways besides Judge Albrecht. His grounds for trying to have the DNA evidence thrown out was that he didn't feel that LE had a right to his DNA. Lovrien was still claiming that he didn't receive full Discovery, and that he didn't feel that his legal advisor was doing his job. He seemed to be throwing the two cases together, although the trials have been severed. The DA and the judge worked to educate him on these issues and made sure that he will receive full Discovery, but both of them expressed that they want the trial completed by mid-February. Jury Summons have gone out already and Judge Ramras wants to keep the Special Panel date for the Jury of Thursday 1/25. At that time, they'll review hardship excuses with the jury, and his legal adviser can teleconference in. It's not a Capitol case, no Death Penalty, and so the judge is allocating 9 trial days starting Monday 2/5/24. Both sides seemed to agree that the trial can be concluded in 1-2 weeks. One last cliffhanger to add- Lovrien's attitude seemed to change as the hearing went on. Don't be surprised if 1 of 2 major options happen before we get to a Jury Trial on 2/5.

Friday, January 5th:
*Settlement Conference Hearing (Mark’s case) (@ 1:30pm PT) - OR – Mark Jeffrey Dribin (42) (last seen July 3, 1999, Portland, reported missing July 6, 1999; has not been found) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (32 @ time of crime/52/now 56) indicted (4/30/20), arrested (5/4/20 by U.S. Marshalls), charged (5/4/20) & arraigned (5/5/20) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree abuse of a corpse & 3 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty. No bond. Forensic Genetic Genealogy match.
*OR – Kenneth Lee Griffin (53) (last seen Feb. 1, 2020 & reported missing on Feb. 2, 2020, Portland, found May 19, 2020 in Lovrien’s shed) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (51 @ time of crime/52/now 56) charged (3/10/21), indicted (4/30/20), re-indicted (3/10/21) & arraigned (3/11/21) with 2nd degree murder, 1st degree abuse of a corpse & 6 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 7/31/23. Cases have been severed.
Dribin Trial was set to begin on 1/29/24 continued on 2/5/24.
Judge Christopher Ramas presiding. Dep. DA Kirsten M. Snowden & Margaret Burgess. Lovrien representing himself (Pro Se) with legal adviser Keith Goody.
Griffin Trial set to begin on 4/8/24.
Judge Christopher Ramas presiding. Dep. DA Kirsten M. Snowden & Margaret Burgess.

Dribin: Court info from 5/5/20 thru 12/21/23 & Griffin: Court info from 3/16/21 thru 9/13/23 reference post #744 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...2-portland-02-july-1999-arrest.153627/page-38

12/27/23 Update: Coming up motions hearing on 1/4/24 re defense motion to suppress DNA evidence, Further proceedings hearing 1/19/24 re jury questionnaire & further proceedings hearing on 1/25/24 re special jury panel summons.
12/28/23 Update: Defendant's motion for new legal advisor is denied. Attorney Keith Goody is to remain as legal advisor per Judge Cherly A. Albrecht.
1/4/24 Update: The trial start date has been pushed back one week to start on 2/5/24 because legal advisor Goody had a trip previously planned. Lovrien's motion to get the DNA evidence excluded was denied, as was the Demurrer. And the state was granted a motion to exclude a potential witness of his unless he gives a legal notice to them of that witness appearing. Jury Summons have gone out already & Judge Ramras wants to keep the Special Panel date for the Jury of Thursday, 1/25/24. At that time, they'll review hardship excuses with the jury & his legal adviser can teleconference in. It's not a Capitol case, no Death Penalty ^ so the judge is allocating 9 trial days starting Monday, 2/5/24. Both sides seemed to agree that the trial can be concluded in 1-2 weeks. Next Settlement conference hearing on 1/5/24 @ 1:30pm before Judge Heidi H. Moawad Transport requested.

Well this is interesting... Don't know what to make of this development: (In case you can't read it- there's a Plea Hearing scheduled for this coming Friday at 10am)1704919577363.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back