GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Praying that renewed interest in this case brings your family some answers, LinasK!

You know I have not been on here very long but with all the reading that I have done, I just wish that when people end a relationship that they just walk away. There is no reason to kill the ex just because you broke up. Enjoy the memories that you have of that person. Move on. If Mark was killed by an angry ex, I hope that person is caught or confesses. It bothers me when I accidently run over a squirrel.

You know I have not been on here very long but with all the reading that I have done, I just wish that when people end a relationship that they just walk away. There is no reason to kill the ex just because you broke up. Enjoy the memories that you have of that person. Move on. If Mark was killed by an angry ex, I hope that person is caught or confesses. It bothers me when I accidently run over a squirrel.

Same here. If a bee is bothering me, I get my dog to kill it. I can't. :(

LinasK, I am going to go back over the threads as well. In the meantime, what kind of resources does the detective need? Just a higher profile in the media?

LinasK, I am going to go back over the threads as well. In the meantime, what kind of resources does the detective need? Just a higher profile in the media?

Yes, more exposure. Tricia is more than willing to do a show on the case. She's waiting on LinasK for the go ahead, :)

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/457951

In 1999, Mark Jeffrey Dribin worked for United Airlines at PDX. On July 2, 1999, Mr. Dribin called his employer and requested the night off, as he had a ”personal emergency.” Mr Dribin has not been seen or heard from since.

Mr. Dribin, a 42-year-old white male, 5’6”, 160 lbs with a shaved head, was a very responsible worker and not known to miss shifts or to disappear for any period of time. He was close to his parents and brother and has not contacted them since 1999. His family and friends do not believe that he simply left town.

Yes, I was wondering also if someone from the bar might have gone home with him or followed him home. It appears the bar is defunct now, but I wonder if LE chased down staff at the time, to see if anyone recalled Mark leaving with someone.

Does anyone know what the area surrounding the bar and residence is like? Are transients common? Residences or industrial?

Following this train of thought, was Mark's home broken into? Broken windows or signs of tampering with the door locks? If not, like Oriah said, someone may have followed him and pushed their way into the home or they may have come in by invitation.

Although there is blood in the home, could Mark have been alive when he was taken from the home? It would not have been easy to move him if he was unconscious. Why would someone bother to move him anyway? Is it possible this person was trying to get Mark some help? Perhaps trying to get Mark to a hospital? In that case this person must have cared about Mark in some way. He must have known him. Has the area around the hospital been checked? Perhaps this person could not get Mark there in time and layed him down in a wooded area near the hospital.

That's my first impression. I know Mark could have been taken out of the house for other reasons. I want to read more of Mark's story before I say anything else.

Following this train of thought, was Mark's home broken into? Broken windows or signs of tampering with the door locks? If not, like Oriah said, someone may have followed him and pushed their way into the home or they may have come in by invitation.

Although there is blood in the home, could Mark have been alive when he was taken from the home? It would not have been easy to move him if he was unconscious. Why would someone bother to move him anyway? Is it possible this person was trying to get Mark some help? Perhaps trying to get Mark to a hospital? In that case this person must have cared about Mark in some way. He must have known him. Has the area around the hospital been checked? Perhaps this person could not get Mark there in time and layed him down in a wooded area near the hospital.

That's my first impression. I know Mark could have been taken out of the house for other reasons. I want to read more of Mark's story before I say anything else.
Not likely. I'm Mark's cousin and a member here. Mark was gay and in a relationship. He was also spotted in a gay bar in the Portland area around the time of his disappearance. Knowing that, that he called off work due to a "personal emergency", and that the blood in his apartment was spattered on the walls, it is believed that Mark is dead and the POI may have been his jealous lover. Noone however knows who that was.

A member here, who was kind enough to recently start looking into Mark's case directed me to an article which had some specific information I had missed. Mark lived at N.E. 137th Ave in Portland. His SUV was a Black, 2-door 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with Oregon license plates: SL-14414 was found at S.E. 43rd Ave & Division, an area he didn't frequent. Also there is some discrepancy as to when he was last seen. His neighbors last saw him on 7/2 at 2:00 according to the Doe Network, but according to this article, he was last seen on 7/3 at the Eagle Tavern on S.W. 13th Ave. & Burnside St.
Also,in his apartment, there was a massive cleanup of blood spatter all over the walls. This was new to me.

One last thing, before I give the article link, since his father and brother's names are listed in the article, I can now feel comfortable divulging their names. His father's name is Ken (I know him by Kenny), and his brother's name is Terry. Thanks for everyone that's given this case their time and attention. Let's hope it leads to Mark's remains and getting justice by getting his killer.

http://www.kptv.com/story/15952823/cold-case-detectives-re-examine-portland-mans-disappearance

A robber/stranger is not going to take the time to clean up, nor is he going to move Mark out of the house is he? Isn't the thought process 'if I clean the evidence, the crime didn't happen and if I move Mark, no one will know'. Of course this was impossible and why would a robber care? Why would someone committing a hate crime care? I could be wrong, but I don't think they would care if they left everything and raced from the house.

I assume there was evidence, blood of Mark, in the vehicle? What about the perp, were there fingerprints, was there blood or hair left behind? It doesn't sound like Mark was able to defend himself. Perhaps he was attacked from the back. Otherwise wouldn't there be evidence of the perp in the house or in the vehicle as a result? Who would Mark turn his back on? Who did he trust in his home?

I already said to check near the hospitals, now why not where the car was found? I don't know the area, nor do I know the distances between the bar, his home and where the vehicle was found. Is there any chance someone could provide some kind of map and also some kind of timeline for reference?

Has Mark's ex-boyfriend ever taken a polygraph test to rule him in or out? Does he have a record of assault? I wonder where he was that night. If he passed a poly and has an alibi he can be ruled out and we can move on.

Not likely. I'm Mark's cousin and a member here. Mark was gay and in a relationship. He was also spotted in a gay bar in the Portland area around the time of his disappearance. Knowing that, that he called off work due to a "personal emergency", and that the blood in his apartment was spattered on the walls, it is believed that Mark is dead and the POI may have been his jealous lover. Noone however knows who that was.

LinasK, I am terribly sorry for your loss. Mark seemed like a nice guy who didn't deserve this. I hope we can help. We can try. Lots of things we say will be things you've already thought of or things you don't want to think of. I feel terrible that you or any family would have to do this. Let me continue with your permission.

No one knows who this man is. Is that possible? No one ever met him and Mark didn't refer to him by name? But, it's believed Mark had some kind of relationship with this man and that night he was going to meet him. He called work during the day and said he would not be in that night due to a "personal emergency" and somehow that "personal emergency" has been connected to this man. Perhaps they were going to talk about their relationship/breakup. Let's say they had that appointment at the bar. No one saw this man. Mark was not with him. He must have been a no-show.
I wonder if this was a set-up, this man said he'd meet Mark at the bar, not show, follow him home and either pushed his way in or talked his way into Mark's home to hurt him. Perhaps that's why he wanted to meet Mark.

How do we figure out who this guy is? Telephone bills, text messages, internet contact. Were they all checked? Friends? Mark must have had someone he confided in? Could this man have wanted to remain anonymous to everyone? I wonder if Mark wanted him to remain a secret for some reason?

That's it for tonight. I hope I at least gave some food for thought. I'll be thinking about the case. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. If this is too much, let us know. You and the other family members are important to us too. Goodnight.

LinasK, I am terribly sorry for your loss. Mark seemed like a nice guy who didn't deserve this. I hope we can help. We can try. Lots of things we say will be things you've already thought of or things you don't want to think of. I feel terrible that you or any family would have to do this. Let me continue with your permission.

No one knows who this man is. Is that possible? No one ever met him and Mark didn't refer to him by name? But, it's believed Mark had some kind of relationship with this man and that night he was going to meet him. He called work during the day and said he would not be in that night due to a "personal emergency" and somehow that "personal emergency" has been connected to this man. Perhaps they were going to talk about their relationship/breakup. Let's say they had that appointment at the bar. No one saw this man. Mark was not with him. He must have been a no-show.
I wonder if this was a set-up, this man said he'd meet Mark at the bar, not show, follow him home and either pushed his way in or talked his way into Mark's home to hurt him. Perhaps that's why he wanted to meet Mark.

How do we figure out who this guy is? Telephone bills, text messages, internet contact. Were they all checked? Friends? Mark must have had someone he confided in? Could this man have wanted to remain anonymous to everyone? I wonder if Mark wanted him to remain a secret for some reason?

That's it for tonight. I hope I at least gave some food for thought. I'll be thinking about the case. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. If this is too much, let us know. You and the other family members are important to us too. Goodnight.
No, we welcome the interest. It's painful for his mother because it means realizing he's dead, but quite a bit of time has passed, I can deal with it. I just have to find the time now in my own life to get the information to Tricia to do a radio show on him. I'm more embarrassed about the prospect of being on the radio.
I think in 1999, it wasn't as acceptable to be openly gay, and Mark was also Jewish- don't know if that matters or not.

No, we welcome the interest. It's painful for his mother because it means realizing he's dead, but quite a bit of time has passed, I can deal with it. I just have to find the time now in my own life to get the information to Tricia to do a radio show on him. I'm more embarrassed about the prospect of being on the radio.
I think in 1999, it wasn't as acceptable to be openly gay, and Mark was also Jewish- don't know if that matters or not.

You can do this, but only when you are ready. :) The detective said there was a LOT that hadn't been released to the public. Being gay doesn't make him less of a human being. You can see the kindness in Mark's eyes. That's something you can't fake. He reminds me of my brother in that sense of the word, those gentle eyes. He's tugging on my heart's strings.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You'll be in good hands with Tricia.

Nothing was acceptable in 1999. What a long way we've come in such a short time.

If you don't mind, I wanted to get some thoughts out.

Was mark openly gay around his family? Did he have men in his life that he introduced the family to or did he separate that part of his life from everyone? Did everyone accept his lifestyle?

This cleanup, after such a brutal attack, seems so personal to me. More than cleaning up evidence of a crime, it's like an un-doing of a crime, a regret. Is it possible Mark's attacker was someone who didn't want the family to have to see what happened to Mark. Someone who decided it was better if Mark just disappeared. Less hurtful. Of course in the end that was not possible. The cleanup was too massive and it had to be abandoned. Is there anyone who would have wanted to save the family from this pain, the crime scene and the brutality of the injuries to Mark? Is it possible this person is connected in some way to the family? Perhaps he cared about Mark's parents?

When Mark called in to work, he didn't say that he had a "family" emergency, he said he had a "personal" emergency. Does that mean anything to you?

You can do this, but only when you are ready. :) The detective said there was a LOT that hadn't been released to the public. Being gay doesn't make him less of a human being. You can see the kindness in Mark's eyes. That's something you can't fake. He reminds me of my brother in that sense of the word, those gentle eyes. He's tugging on my heart's strings.
His parents are the sweetest people you could meet.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You'll be in good hands with Tricia.

Nothing was acceptable in 1999. What a long way we've come in such a short time.

If you don't mind, I wanted to get some thoughts out.

Was mark openly gay around his family? Did he have men in his life that he introduced the family to or did he separate that part of his life from everyone? Did everyone accept his lifestyle?

This cleanup, after such a brutal attack, seems so personal to me. More than cleaning up evidence of a crime, it's like an un-doing of a crime, a regret. Is it possible Mark's attacker was someone who didn't want the family to have to see what happened to Mark. Someone who decided it was better if Mark just disappeared. Less hurtful. Of course in the end that was not possible. The cleanup was too massive and it had to be abandoned. Is there anyone who would have wanted to save the family from this pain, the crime scene and the brutality of the injuries to Mark? Is it possible this person is connected in some way to the family? Perhaps he cared about Mark's parents?

When Mark called in to work, he didn't say that he had a "family" emergency, he said he had a "personal" emergency. Does that mean anything to you?
I hadn't seen Mark in many years. The impressions I got both from my mother and Mark's father were that since it wouldn't have been as acceptable in my family/culture back then to be out as gay, Mark probably kept his love live private. His father didn't seem to know whom Mark had been dating. Now I have a couple of family members who have come out as gay, and the older generation has had to come to terms with that.

LinasK

Same here. It was a different time and not so long ago. It's been incredible to see the changes.

Continuing,

You know I'm still stuck on that clean-up. Do you know what they meant by clean-up? How extensive was it? If you are cleaning up to get rid of evidence that's one thing, but I think I read that someone tried to clean the walls. The walls would have no evidence except for the blood. Please excuse me if I'm too graphic. Let me put it this way. Why wouldn't everything be left in the apartment as is, close the door behind you and you're gone? Why put Mark in the vehicle where there will be more blood transfer and a chance of being caught? Has anyone discussed this with you?

Can I ask what you think happened to Mark and why he was taken from the apartment?

There were three places in Mark's life that he could have met the man who eventually killed him. If no one in his family was capable of such rage, than let's look at his personal life, and the gay culture in Portland was a part of that, and let's look at his place of employment at the airport. Where would Mark have met this man who was this ex-lover who no one can identify. Could he have been a married man and Mark kept his secret until something changed in their relationship? Perhaps Mark got too serious, fell in love? Could this man have felt threatened by Mark? Could he have been someone at work and there was a double threat of disclosure, his job and his family?

The day Mark went missing he called in to work with a personal emergency. Perhaps Mark wanted to have a sit down with this man and hash things out?

Who was interviewed in this case? The staff at the bar was interviewed, but who else? Maybe someone picked up on the relationship even though they were trying to keep it quiet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back