GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sorry, I wasn't able to work on the case today.

If it was ever proven that Mark was taken across a state border, I believe the FBI can come in. That sure would be helpful.

We've got to start checking for similar cases.

We don't know if LE has fingerprints. If they don't, even if this guy is arrested, there is nothing to match. But they do have DNA. It is not usual protocal to give DNA if you are arrested for all crimes is it? What crimes would require that a DNA swab be taken? I suppose this would be a state by state decision? I imagine all states would, by now, would take samples for any sexually related crimes, but I don't know. Yet. If the perp is picked up on a crime that would require testing, is there a national data base LE checks? Is the DNA from Mark's case in that data base?

I wonder if there is a Gay rights organization that keeps a record and works with victims of crime. We can check into that to see if they have any answers for us. I wonder if they have heard of Mark's case?

That's it for me today. Hope all is going well for you. Good luck.

Tulessa, I just wanted to stop and give you my condolences. I just couldn't read the circumstances of your brother's death right now, but I know how much it hurts to lose a dear brother. I lost mine when I was 19 and he in his early 20's. It hurts for a lifetime doesn't it.

It's no surprise we are here looking for Mark. I am so sorry for your loss.

As far as this case is concerned, we know that this was a rage killing. You can tell this by the infliction of wounds. Overkill as they say. Who hated Mark enough to inflict this kind of injury, well that's the question. The incident was personal and upclose. Mark was face to face with him. Did this person push their way in? I don't think so. From what I understand there is nothing outside the house that would indicate a breakin or house invasion, no doorknobs or locks broken, no windows broken. I think Mark invited this person in. Mark knew him. If Mark was on a date with someone from the bar, why would they hurt him? If this was supposed to be a one night date, it could be that Mark was going to be robbed, that he was set up. If Mark met with someone he had a previous relationship with, well the list of reasons to hurt Mark changes although it still could include robbery. If Mark knew this person, this person could have acted out of jealousy or rejection. Now, Mark made that phone call to work saying he had a "personal emergency". That tells me that Mark may have planned this meeting, he may have known this person and allowed him into his home. I get the impression that Mark was meeting this person later in the evening, so Mark went to a bar for a couple of drinks before heading back home. (I don't know the time Mark entered and left the bar) I wonder if Mark had these late night meetings/dates before? Could anyone have seen this man in the previous months at Mark's house? I find it strange that Mark's ex-boyfriend hasn't come forward or said something to someone about his relationship with Mark before Mark went missing. This man must have been the type of man who was capable of aggressive behavior, maybe assaults in the past that went unreported? It quite possible in the gay community at that time. Also this man was capable of maintaining his cool under pressure. Enough to realize he had to take his time and cleanup. A sociopath maybe? In that cases, other people are in danger. In the years that have followed, have there been other reports of assaults on gay men in Oregon? That's all for tonight.

Okay, since I haven't heard back from the cold case detective telling me not to disclose this, I'm going to post some previously undisclosed info. About a year ago, a psychic-type person contacted me with some potential info. regarding Mark. He did NOT solicit me for money, so I was open to hear what he had to say. This is his theory on Mark's death, which seems to line up with what is known:

I will spell it as I hear it and not as I would particularly spell it but I kept getting
"Drewee" or "Drew"
That came up about three or four times in a short space of time.

I get a feeling of a pain to my side, left side low down above the hip and then a bang to the left side front around temple of head. Its as though I cover up after being hit in the stomach or stabbed and then get suckered to the head and the head shot is the ending as far as being aware goes.

A sheet is wrapped around Mark or a curtain or a throw, first thought is it is a sheet, I dont know if the bed was in the same room as the blood, but I feel like he was carried or dragged out in a sheet.

I think the personal emergency was that one of them was ending a relationship or had just ended the relationship and the other was making noises as to commiting suicide or something, they met, one of them was already emotional and when the other wouldnt re start the relationship then that is where the trouble started.

I feel like I am knotted up inside as though I am worked up full of angst before I am meeting whoever I am meeting up with.

I was thinking about Marks father and he (Mark) says

There is a thumb print, that obviously is not recognised on the database, this wasnt a serial killer or anything it was if you want a "crime of passion" or "domestic violence" in that they knew each other and had been in some kind of relationship

Tulessa, I just wanted to stop and give you my condolences. I just couldn't read the circumstances of your brother's death right now, but I know how much it hurts to lose a dear brother. I lost mine when I was 19 and he in his early 20's. It hurts for a lifetime doesn't it.

It's no surprise we are here looking for Mark. I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you. Mark eyes remind me of my brothers.

Thanks LinasK for that information. They say depression is anger internalized. I'm thinking of the type of anger that would come out of a person who is suicidal, unable to take Mark's rejection. Imagine suicide vs. homicide. Rage turned in and rage turned outward. Not the type of suicidal despair. This is a self hatred. I'm thinking Mark knew this man could not control his emotions and he wanted away from him. If this man called and told Mark he was in despair (he wasn't, he was full of hatred) and needed to talk to him, Mark sounds like the kind of guy who would have called in to work saying he had a personal emergency, to try and help him. It was way past talking to this man. He must have come over to hurt Mark thinking Mark was the cause of the suicidal thoughts (the self-loathing). Jealous, vindictive, manipulative with untreated depressions and rage. Ticking time bomb.

Now where would Mark have met such a man? This man must have presented himself well for Mark to initialled get involved. Wish we knew the type of person Mark was attracted to.

If you ever think to track this guy down in person, don't. Call the police if you ever get close to finding his identity please. This man is not in control of himself. He'll fool you into thinking he is. If he is threatened or cornered, he will react. So, please call law enforcement.

I'm going to look into this personality type and disorder. He has one.

This person is going to control his moods with alcohol and/or drugs. He can not control it himself. He may be in treatment and may be on prescription medication too.

I suspect Mark met him in a bar. Perhaps he was supposed to meet Mark at the bar that night, no one saw this man so maybe he called Mark to meet at Mark's house to talk saying he was running late or something. This would have been a set up. He knew how mad he was and one word out of Mark was going to justify what he did. I think this was a premeditated murder, not domestic violence or a crime of passion. This guy was mad that night and Mark was going to get it.

Someone must know this guy. If they knew this guy, they knew Mark was in over his head. Maybe others talked to Mark about him or Mark confided in others about this guy? The detectives have to go back and interview everyone they can at that bar that night and those who knew Mark the year prior to this assault. Someone's got to start opening up. I don't know if they are afraid or if it's their code to stay silent. The detectives have to get past the silence somehow.

I hope this helps and doesn't hurt you more. I'm putting my thoughts out there with your direction. I know it must hurt. I'm sorry. I'm not in any way meaning to be a counselor or act as LE. These are just thoughts rolling off my head. Good luck in your search.

Thanks LinasK for that information. They say depression is anger internalized. I'm thinking of the type of anger that would come out of a person who is suicidal, unable to take Mark's rejection. Imagine suicide vs. homicide. Rage turned in and rage turned outward. Not the type of suicidal despair. This is a self hatred. I'm thinking Mark knew this man could not control his emotions and he wanted away from him. If this man called and told Mark he was in despair (he wasn't, he was full of hatred) and needed to talk to him, Mark sounds like the kind of guy who would have called in to work saying he had a personal emergency, to try and help him. It was way past talking to this man. He must have come over to hurt Mark thinking Mark was the cause of the suicidal thoughts (the self-loathing). Jealous, vindictive, manipulative with untreated depressions and rage. Ticking time bomb.

Now where would Mark have met such a man? This man must have presented himself well for Mark to initialled get involved. Wish we knew the type of person Mark was attracted to.

If you ever think to track this guy down in person, don't. Call the police if you ever get close to finding his identity please. This man is not in control of himself. He'll fool you into thinking he is. If he is threatened or cornered, he will react. So, please call law enforcement.

I'm going to look into this personality type and disorder. He has one.
Illuminada, that's what I've been thinking too. That the jealous lover contacts Mark as he's about to go into work threatening suicide as a ploy, i.e, I'll kill myself if you break up with me. Mark calls off work to deal with this person, but doesn't want to continue the relationship, so instead of offing himself, the lover turns homicidal and kills Mark.
Did they meet at the Eagle Tavern, then go to Mark's house? Mark's house had to have been where he was killed because there was blood spatter on the walls. Mark's body was dumped elsewhere. Unless the sighting at the Eagle Tavern on July 3 was a false sighting. Neighbors last saw Mark on July 2. He was missing by July 6.
Another idea- maybe the lover got jealous that Mark might meet someone new at the Eagle Tavern on July 3?

LinasK, so glad we are on the same page. Tell me about the Eagle Bar. You said it was a leather and S&M bar, it closed at some point, moved and opened up again. Did it open under the same name and management?

Tell me, if you can, how LE handled the inquiry into Mark's disappearance knowing that the Eagle Bar was involved and that Mark was a gay man. You said that this was a different era and I agree. Everyone was "in the closet", not like today. The police, I bet, didn't handle this like they would have a suburban housewife's death for instance. From the lack of articles on the disappearance, I see the media didn't want to handle this case either.

Wouldn't it be terrific if we took that knowledge of the prejudice and abandonment of these cases involving gay individuals and made a cold case forum? People could come in and talk about these older cases. Perhaps some of them could be resolved and it would give families and friends a place to go where they could feel comfortable sharing. You might want to set something like that up in Mark's memory after the radio show of course.

Back to the case, I think your answers are at the Eagle bar. Whether or not Mark met up with this guy that night, I think they knew him from past visits there. If they were a couple, that's where they were a couple not in public, not on the streets and certainly not in a regular neighborhood bar. The Eagle Bar and it's patrons are playing ignorant.

LinasK, so glad we are on the same page. Tell me about the Eagle Bar. You said it was a leather and S&M bar, it closed at some point, moved and opened up again. Did it open under the same name and management?

Tell me, if you can, how LE handled the inquiry into Mark's disappearance knowing that the Eagle Bar was involved and that Mark was a gay man. You said that this was a different era and I agree. Everyone was "in the closet", not like today. The police, I bet, didn't handle this like they would have a suburban housewife's death for instance. From the lack of articles on the disappearance, I see the media didn't want to handle this case either.

Wouldn't it be terrific if we took that knowledge of the prejudice and abandonment of these cases involving gay individuals and made a cold case forum? People could come in and talk about these older cases. Perhaps some of them could be resolved and it would give families and friends a place to go where they could feel comfortable sharing. You might want to set something like that up in Mark's memory after the radio show of course.

Back to the case, I think your answers are at the Eagle bar. Whether or not Mark met up with this guy that night, I think they knew him from past visits there. If they were a couple, that's where they were a couple not in public, not on the streets and certainly not in a regular neighborhood bar. The Eagle Bar and it's patrons are playing ignorant.
I wasn't the poster who provided the info regarding the Eagle Tavern. I don't live in Portland.
The investigation was flawed from the beginning. At first it wasn't investigated, because they wrongly assumed he was an adult who volitionally went missing, then it was handled by the Port of Portland police, rather than local LE, then the case kept getting handed off to new people who were unfamiliar with the case.
I think the reason it was handled by the Port of Portland is because he was an airline worker.

LinasK, oh, you weren't the one who provided the information on the Eagle Tavern. From what you know, do you believe Mark was there? Do you believe he was a regular customer and that this is where he met the person he had the relationship with? Do you think the poster is correct about this relationship? I wonder how she knows?

Silversurvivor, if you don't mind. Do you live in the area of Portland? Is there something you could add to this mystery? Thanks

Silversurvivor, if you don't mind. Do you live in the area of Portland? Is there something you could add to this mystery? Thanks

nope i live on the east coast, this story has just really hit me some how and you all have such good points. i just wish for clarity for his friends and family.

i wish i had any idea that would help.

I live on the east coast too and have the same feelings about this case, Mark and his family. This is so unfair to do to a family. I want to help, but I'm not sure how. I'm probably going over things that have been gone over many times. I guess that's how we do it and sometimes it's restating the obvious.

Why is this ex a secret, unknown person? His friends must have known him. Most people were living double lives or secretive lives during this period of time, but this takes it to another level. Why? Where did he come from? Unless, someone was making this story up to save themselves some trouble. Is that possible?

I live on the east coast too and have the same feelings about this case, Mark and his family. This is so unfair to do to a family. I want to help, but I'm not sure how. I'm probably going over things that have been gone over many times. I guess that's how we do it and sometimes it's restating the obvious.

Why is this ex a secret, unknown person? His friends must have known him. Most people were living double lives or secretive lives during this period of time, but this takes it to another level. Why? Where did he come from? Unless, someone was making this story up to save themselves some trouble. Is that possible?

many were "undercover" then in mainstream, but usually there is/was some one who knew where when what was going on. some one should know who he was out with interested in etc... hmmm it all that keeps going around in my mind. i keep thinking it is someone who has a lot to hide, so they dont come forward with info that would help. idk or is it "one of the friends" who did this? smh imho

LinasK, can you contact his parents? I swear, I see those gentle eyes in my dreams.

It would be great to have them a part of the show. (If they are up to it)
Okay, I did it! I got ahold of Mark's father and he agreed to do the radio show and he may contact his other son too. Now we just have to figure out when we can do it.

At the very least we are generating some renewed interest in Mark's case, and that's always a good thing. There have been over 2,000 new views in the last month or so alone, and I know that's not all just from me or you. Also it's always good to have new ideas and a fresh set of eyes reviewing the facts. Maybe some new leads will develop, or maybe someone will start to talk after all these years. I remain optimistic because I watch alot of shows like Cold Case.

I swear I pot another post up last night. Hmmm.

I congratulated Linask for her efforts. She was able to talk her Uncle into going on the radio show. It's going to be terrific for the case and for the family.

I also asked if anyone knew where the original information about an ex-boyfriend came from.

Okay, I did it! I got ahold of Mark's father and he agreed to do the radio show and he may contact his other son too. Now we just have to figure out when we can do it.

Contact Tricia. She will be very gentle in her interview. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back